Need an opinion

PDA

rmsig
February 6, 2012, 01:32 PM
I am thinking about selling my Winchester 94 and replacing it with a bolt action 308. I'm consolidating calibers and have a m1A already. I am looking for suggestions for moderate price bolt action rifles that are accurate and dependable and also which to avoid

If you enjoyed reading about "Need an opinion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R H Clark
February 6, 2012, 01:41 PM
Personally,I would keep the 94 and just save a bit longer for a nice bolt action.

Savages usually shoot well but always look and feel cheap to me.

Howa's I like better but a little heavy and clunky for my taste.

I like Rem 700's but would look for a used one 7 or more years old as I don't think quality has been as good lately.

I also like the Winchester 70 and feel the current version is one of the best.

Lots of other good ones out there but your chances of a used Rem 700 or Win 70 at a good price is better.

jmr40
February 6, 2012, 01:52 PM
You wanting a hunting rifle, or target rifle. On a hunting rifle I basically agree with R H Clark. If you don't mind a heavy rifle the Howa/Weatherby Vanguard rifles are probably the most gun for the money, around $350. Other moderately priced guns that are good are the Savage/Stevens line. The Marlin XS-7 and the new Ruger American looks good, but are just now getting in consumers hands so there are no actual users reports yet. All of these are around $350 or less.

Moving up in price I like the Tikka a lot. Very accuate, great triggers, lightweight, and smooth feeding.

If I were buying the rifle that I think is the best gun and not considering price it would be one of the current production Winchesters.

Everyone has their favorites. Several of the guns listed above are good guns, but I wouldn't want many of them. There are only 2 that i just cannot recommend. The Remington 710 or 770, and any of the Mossberg bolt actions. The other Remingtons are OK.

rmsig
February 7, 2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll keep the 94 and look for a good deal. Maybe I can work a trade somewhere when I find what I want. This is something to do because I'm just looking for something new.

todayshighlights
February 7, 2012, 01:49 PM
"Need an opinion" Well. You've come to the right place;)

Abel
February 7, 2012, 06:54 PM
I'd sell the M1A and get another 30-30!

If you enjoyed reading about "Need an opinion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!