9mm can......

PDA

viking499
February 6, 2012, 01:09 PM
What calibers/pressures/velocities can be rum through a 9mm can? Thinking about a future purchase to go along with my rimfire can. Looking at the pros and cons of a 9mm can vs a 308 can.....:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm can......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chopdoktor
February 6, 2012, 01:38 PM
You'll be able to run a 9mm suppressor on most 9mm pistols with a booster mount (Nielsen device), as well as .22lr, .380, 9x18 Makarov, etc, whereas a .308 suppressor won't run on a pistol with a tilt-barrel design (Glock, M&P, etc.) because of its weight, and it usually isn't compatible with a booster mount. Also, 9mm is ~.355, which is significantly larger than .308... you won't likely run 9mm through a .30-cal can safely.

I have a 9mm Thompson Machine Isis that I like, and I can take it apart to clean it (for when I use .22lr). I also have an AAC SDN-6 suppressor in .30 cal on the way, too, so I should have all my calibers covered, both handgun and rifle. 9mm with subsonics is quite quiet, and it still cycles, too. Most subsonic centerfire rifle ammo doesn't cycle very well, except purpose-built stuff like .300 Blackout. It boils down to what you'll use it for the most.

viking499
February 6, 2012, 02:18 PM
What centerfire calibers would work on the 9mm can if using a bolt gun?

Chopdoktor
February 6, 2012, 02:27 PM
Unless it's a Liberty Mystic, none...even then, you're talking slow .223 fire, or subsonic stuff. Handgun suppressors are built lighter for the much lower pressures that handgun cartridges produce. They generally are not machined to stand up to the heavy heat and internal pressures of centerfire rifle round. I was in the same kind of quandary, and I figured out I had to bite the bullet and buy 2 suppressors: one for centerfire rifles, and one for handguns 9mm and smaller.

viking499
February 6, 2012, 02:31 PM
I already have a Liberty Kodiak TL. Another Liberty would be OK.:D

Chopdoktor
February 6, 2012, 02:33 PM
There you go, bud! I have heard all good things about them (Liberty). Just be ready for another looooong wait. I got my Isis in November after 6 months, but the word is that wait times are at least that, now... hooray government efficiency.

viking499
February 6, 2012, 09:50 PM
Maybe I need to look a size bigger........

ImmortalArms
February 7, 2012, 07:32 PM
+1 on the Liberty Mystic. It is an amazing can across the board.

zignal_zero
February 15, 2012, 12:18 AM
Yea I'm looking really hard at the Mystic too. It just seems like the best all round versatile can. Although I do want to find out more about the Hunter Town Arms can that is both 7.62 and 9mm, that sounds like it might have something to offer as well.

loki.fish
February 15, 2012, 04:47 PM
Pistol suppressor aren't rated for the high velocities of rifles. Though some people run subsonic 300BLK through their 9mm/.45 suppressors, you shouldn't run supersonic high power rifle rounds through them.

I've heard the Mystic is an exception, but I honestly wouldn't try it.

zignal_zero
February 22, 2012, 04:05 AM
When the company that makes/warranties says it good to go, I'll do it :) and Liberty says its fine.

87Theworld
February 22, 2012, 06:52 AM
Just get two one for the 9mm handgun and one for rifle. I'm looking at the octane 9 myself it looks very promising.

zignal_zero
February 22, 2012, 05:01 PM
Just get two one for the 9mm handgun and one for rifle. I'm looking at the octane 9 myself it looks very promising.

that would be best. with any tool that's dedicated to a specific purpose, it'll normally perform that task better than a tool made to perform multiple tasks. so.... a .22 can, a 9mm can, and a 5.56 can would be ideal. but for someone on a budget, a can that does all three is great :) not only does it mean saving the price of two other suppressors, but also saving $400 in taxes alone.

not sure what the OP's money situation is like, but i'm getting one can and i'll be using it on 4 different guns of 3 different calibers :D

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm can......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!