I'm back in the rifle world

PDA

Hossfly68
February 6, 2012, 11:56 PM
I hadn't fired a rifle in 25 years until Saturday. And then it was just my lever action .22 when I was squirrel hunting when I was a kid (but I was a darn fine shot then!). Went over to a buddy's farm on Saturday and he put an AR-15 in my hands. We were shooting at a target about 65-70 yards out and it was twilight. Using a scope, not iron sights, but I was was very impressed with myself and the rifle when I got 29 shots in a group the size of a silver dollar. I had one flier that ended up about two inches below that group. I think I could have done a little better if I'd really braced myself instead of leaning against the truckbed, but still, happy as hell.
Supposing I really wanted to get back into shooting a rifle, what would be some good suggestions? It would only be a range gun really, so price would be the big thing, especially when it comes time to explain to the wife why I need a rifle to go along with my handguns. Keep in mind, I know nothing about rifles these days. When I stopped shooting them, I remember the "army men" were using the M-16. Been reading, but there's a heckuva lot more to read since Al Gore invented the internet! Still have my .22 so maybe something with a little more kick. No hunting, just range playing

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm back in the rifle world" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LoonWulf
February 7, 2012, 01:32 PM
.223/5.56 of some sort would probably be a good place to start as far as centerfires go. If your taken with the AR those can be had for a...er....reasonable? cost (its cheaper to put one together). A bolt gun like the Savage Axis would be another cheap alternative, as would a single shot from H&R, or Rossi (ive never really liked single shots for screw around guns, love them for hunting tho). A used rifle of better quality, and in good condition like an older Rem 700, savage 10/110 family, ruger 77, or my personal favorite CZ 527, would be a really good option.

One gun I WANT for goofing around, and hunting, is a savage/stevens 340/840 in .30-30.

Sheepdog1968
February 7, 2012, 01:35 PM
I find that I have a lot of fun with my lever actions. You have one. Maybe time to get it a big brother in 30-30?

BrocLuno
February 8, 2012, 06:05 PM
Range toy - used 243. There are lots, and lots of them out there as folks move "up" to a more "serious" gun (all a falacy of course, thousands of deer fall to 243 every year), but the "real" men need magnum whatever, so the 243's languish on the used racks :)

Find one that fits you well and then have at it. You can tune bedding and do other fun stuff as time permits. Ammo always comes on sale in the fall. Otherwise, you can get a real good selection at Graf & Son on the web and they have low cost shipping :)

Hossfly68
February 8, 2012, 10:48 PM
I appreciate the input fellas. Really looking for a semi auto though. It just seems that the only thing out there is the Ar15 and I like it, but I'm not planning on killin zombies or anything, just playing at the range. The .22 lever action is still a great (and cheap) little rifle so I suppose I'll keep shooting it and reading up on some stuff. Maybe I'll stick with .22, but find an inexpensive semi. Anyway, it'll give me an objective to learn more about what I'm looking for. Thanks again!

Hoss

Tim the student
February 8, 2012, 11:03 PM
You could get a .22 AR upper.

Maybe an M1, or M1 carbine.

Ignition Override
February 8, 2012, 11:10 PM
Well, have you talked to anybody who has an SKS with a $70 Tech Sight attached? You won't believe the improvement!

You can easily get five of nine shots into a 1 & 1/2" diameter group at 50 yards. No sand bags or hard support needed.
It is often reported that a single jhp 7.62x39 rd. can easily stop a large
feral hog. A very clear graphic photo showed the grisly, large wound in a fallen Texas swine.

jpwilly
February 8, 2012, 11:11 PM
AR-15 + 22lr Conv kit to play with...

LoonWulf
February 8, 2012, 11:54 PM
If your looking for a semi take a look at the Keltec su-16s, and rugers mini-14s. Ive seen conversion kits for the minis...in fact if the guy who has one locally still has it in a bit im going to buy it.

doc2rn
February 9, 2012, 03:03 AM
Semi-auto rifles are a dime a dozen in .223, you can find anything from AK clones starting around $250 on up. I would also throw out that alot of camp carbines are highly prized as pistol round rifles.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm back in the rifle world" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!