HighPoint 955 Purchase?

PDA

Bolt Actionaction
February 7, 2012, 09:49 PM
So I'm looking into my next gun and this ugly sun of a gun has caught my attention for its reliability and pricing, but if any one would suggest a gun thats better for my my money I'm all ears. I'm also looking into it because it seems like a good multi range gun for my uses, since I can't buy handguns yet. P.S Im looking at the 45. version.

If you enjoyed reading about "HighPoint 955 Purchase?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
February 7, 2012, 09:54 PM
Kel-Tec Sub-2000?

cat_IT_guy
February 7, 2012, 09:59 PM
I had one for a while. It was great fun as a range toy (mine was 9mm, I cant remember the naming convention which cal a 955 would be). Very utilitarian gun and a fun step up from a .22 for plinking at the range without breaking the bank on centerfire rifle ammo.

OARNGESI
February 7, 2012, 09:59 PM
Get one great cheap plinker

Bolt Actionaction
February 7, 2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the advice! any thoughts on caliber? 9mm 40 or 45?

Moose1995
February 7, 2012, 11:26 PM
9MM! Every time I go to Wal mart and look at the winchester ammo for my 45 at $35.97 a box of 100, then look over at the same ammo in 9MM for $23.97 for a box of 100, I wish I really had a 9mm. Even cheaper is the federal champion ammo. Only $10.97 for a box of 50!

chris in va
February 8, 2012, 04:39 AM
I had one, definitely get the KelTec instead. You won't be limited to 10rd magazines, and quality is much better. I speak from experience on this.

This is the gun I probably should have looked at before I got my Beretta Cx4. I would have gotten a more reliable, more fun gun with a bigger magazine capacity for a third of the price and I would have gotten that great customer service and bought American.

Ok that didn't make any sense.

The CX4 can take 15 or 17rd magazines, and even optional 30+ rounders in the 92FS model. The HiPoint is limited to 10 in 9mm.

IIRC the Storm is made in Maryland.

Furncliff
February 8, 2012, 11:58 AM
I have a the 4595 and it's a blast to shoot. The rifle has a built in recoil absorption system which makes it fun for those with low tolerance for recoil. My 120# daughter likes to shoot it. I reload so shooting the .45 acp isn't as much of an issue, otherwise the 9mm should get a lot of consideration. I don't understand the big deal about 10 round magazines. I bought a bunch of extras from Hi Point, they are cheap and swop out fast. I bought an extended magazine (20 rounds?) meant for the 1911. The instructions for modifying these for the Hi Point are on You Tube. I just haven't done the mod, seems pointless (shrug). There are aftermarket hi-cap mags for the 9mm, but the performance of these seems spotty. The Hi Point forum has more about these.

My rifle isn't particularly accurate and I continue to experiment with bullets powders and loads to make it shoot better. But it is reliable, I have had one failure to feed in over 1000 rounds. I've tried different bullets in it and it fed everything except semi wad cutter. Know that these are blowback designs and your gun will get dirty, fast.

Hi Point seems to live up to their "no B.S." guarantee on these guns. I think they make good, inexpensive range toys that can easily double as HD rifles.

P.S. Anyone who's developed a good load for their 4595, I'd really like to hear from you.

Teachu2
February 8, 2012, 02:49 PM
I have a 4595. Went with it because my usual carry pistol is a 1911 in .45. It's a great house gun, and plenty accurate at the <25 yard range I'd be engaging targets at. It's much easier for the wife to handle, and she only has to hit 'em once...

If I were going to use it as a plinker, I'd go 9mm. I'll probably only run a couple hundred rounds a year through it, so the ammo cost isn't a big difference. The size of the wound is....

It replaced a 12ga Mossberg 500 as the house gun. My wife didn't want to practice with the Mossy, as the recoil was painful. For home defense, 10 rounds should be enough - but there are two extra mags on the stock. I pity the fools who try to force my front door if she's home alone....

If you enjoyed reading about "HighPoint 955 Purchase?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!