Spikes Tactical ar

PDA

xxxleafybugxxx
February 8, 2012, 01:59 AM
Looking at an spikes tactical m4. Basic model for just over 1,000. Is this a good ar platform? Has a full rail, and a lifetime warranty.
How accurate is this rifle? Also, is it milspec?
What are your experiences?

If you enjoyed reading about "Spikes Tactical ar" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
justice06rr
February 8, 2012, 05:34 AM
Spikes is a good brand. I have an AR with a Spikes lower.

Which basic model are you talking about? You should be able to get a basic model Spikes AR for around $750ish, unless you are looking at the ones upgraded with quadrails etc.

chris in va
February 8, 2012, 05:36 AM
Yeah, $1000 is not the basic model.

Keep in mind, you'll have to wait a couple months to get it.

justice06rr
February 8, 2012, 05:37 AM
And btw they are very accurate. I bought my Spikes AR used for $700 in excellent condition. First time I went to the range and shot it with Iron sights and was hitting bullseye's consistently at 25 yards... and that is saying something because I'm still new to the AR platform and have very little training.

Of course, accuracy is relative and highly depends on the shooter. but the rifle is more accurate than I am. It is also milspec.

greyling22
February 8, 2012, 08:51 AM
I just sold my spikes m4 le middy upper. Only et it go because I wanted to get into a 20" varmint style. The spikes ran fine with wolf, pmc, handloads, everything I tried. I was getting about a about 1-3" groups depending on what I was shooting. good handloads did retty well, wolf did worse. Some f that was me being a bad shot I'm sure. I'd say they are plenty accurate and good to go.

madcratebuilder
February 8, 2012, 08:57 AM
Spike's assembles a good AR, good CS, great warranty. They have a mil-spec bolt and carrier and that's the heart of the rifle. Spike's is very active in the industry forum at arfcom.

xxxleafybugxxx
February 8, 2012, 09:01 AM
This is the one im talking about

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st-15-16-m4-le-carbine-w7bar-p-811.html

gotigers
February 8, 2012, 09:12 AM
In the current market it sounds a bit high. Spikes is a very good AR, but i would shop around some more. Maybe look at the Colt 6920, PSA or build yourself.

xxxleafybugxxx
February 8, 2012, 12:31 PM
Its so hard yo find and ar and stick with it. Because everyone is saying something different.
for the colt equivalent, it to costs about 200 more.
Plus, spikes has lifetime warranty, which colt does not.
And its milspec. The answer seems obvious

gotigers
February 8, 2012, 01:27 PM
All true. I like spikes, but $1000 seems high regardless of the warranty. I wouldn't spend $1000 on a spikes right now.

At times DSG Arms has a spikes tactical upper for $485 and a complete spikes tactical lower for $269. The upper comes with a bolt and charging handle add shipping.

xxxleafybugxxx
February 8, 2012, 01:31 PM
Go tigers, I was thinking a bout that. Just buying an upper, and lower... Then I would still have the warranty. Seems like a better idea too me

kyle04
February 8, 2012, 02:04 PM
If you have to have a rail and buy the rifle complete you won't find many if any below $1000. I would personally buy the upper if your dead set on that one http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/upper-556-16-m4-le-w7-bar-rail-fsp-p-660.html

Then you can build the lower using a spikes stripped lower from aimsurplus for 80 and which ever lpk and stock kit you want for around 200. Total cost would put you at around 900 saving almost $200 from the full rifle.

Another option would be to order a similier upper from aim or joebobs like this and save another $50-60 http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spike_s_Tactical_16_Midlength_LE_Upper_w_9_BAR_R_p/sp-stu5035-r9s.htm

I just finally got my upper in from spikes and i think it was worth the wait

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/354/imag0456l.jpg

xxxleafybugxxx
February 8, 2012, 02:16 PM
Kyle, it looks real good. I kind of have the mind set where I should keep the entire rifle the same brand. I don't know if I need the full rail, but the m4 I was looking at didn't have that long of a rail. I also like the dark earth parts of it.

kyle04
February 8, 2012, 02:26 PM
If you do not need a rail this isn't a bad deal for $800 http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spike_s_Tactical_ST_15_Mid_Length_LE_Carbine_STR50_p/sp-str5035-mls.htm

You could purchase a complete lower built from spikes for 275 and the upper from spikes or joebobs for 650 and that would be a complete spikes gun for just under $1000.

xxxleafybugxxx
February 8, 2012, 03:17 PM
Spending that extra money for a full rail isn't worth it too me. I don't need to buy a $800 dollar upper. Can't you buy partial rails for half as much? If nothing else, I can just settle for a normal upper with a top rail for optics. Don't need to break the bank for something I won't use to its full potential.

kyle04
February 8, 2012, 03:22 PM
Ok another options lol....$500 for this upper http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5035MOE

Magpul makes vert grips and IWC makes some nice light mounts for the MOE handguard.

xxxleafybugxxx
February 8, 2012, 06:14 PM
So let me ask you guys this... do you think it would be wise to order a complete upper form spikes (or some other company that sells spikes uppers) and then buy a stripped lower (spikes), with parts and trigger kit (all spikes)?
I would like to keep the rifle the same brand through and through.
Plus, it would seem better for warranty purposes.
And I like spikes over colt for two reasons...
-I hear good things about both, and spikes is still milspec
-Also, spikes offers a better warranty.

SpookyPistolero
February 8, 2012, 06:22 PM
If you've got a K to drop on an AR, then there's no reason not to get a Colt ($945 for a 6920). Then shoot it until a part/accessory is the limiting factor (vs the shooter), and upgrade as needed.

xxxleafybugxxx
February 8, 2012, 08:02 PM
Spooky, I've looked at the colts. But they're both milspec, but spikes has the lifetime warranty? Why would I go with the product with a lesser warranty?
I've been back and forth many, many times on which I thought I was going to buy.. and its reasons like this. I get set, then somebody suggests something they think is better. There is no true answer.
For spikes, I can get a rifle that has a rail system for less then I can for colt.

xxxleafybugxxx
February 8, 2012, 08:31 PM
Here is a comparison. Look at these rifles.
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-16midlength-le-w132-sar-p-812.html?zenid=e5c42c7973e5f4db98c17af792ad6c5f

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6940.aspx

What makes the Colt worth $150 more? Besides the name? I don't care about that.
Or I could just go with a spikes regular m4, with no rails and spend about 950. The top rail is important though. Realistically, I probably don't need the monolithic rail. I wouldnt use it for anything besides a bipod.
SPIKES AS A LIFETIME WARRANTY
COLT HAS A LIMITED YEAR WARRANTY

xxxleafybugxxx
February 8, 2012, 09:01 PM
This one can also be thrown in there.
Smith and wesson M&P
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_763_977/products_id/53519/Smith+%26+Wesson+30+%2B+1+223+Rem.+w16%22+Barrel+%26+4+Rail+Tactica

xxxleafybugxxx
February 8, 2012, 10:05 PM
4 posts in a row. That must be a record :)
If I did conform and get a normal 6920 for 950, does this come with the top rial that I could mount an optic?

Mot45acp
February 9, 2012, 12:23 AM
I guess im the only Spikes dissenter.

Problems I have had:

Very gritty 10.5" upper. Feels like sand in the action. Needs to be spotless and dripping to run. 50 rounds suppressed or 150 rounds unsupressed and it starts to choke. Has extra slot in the barrel where they screwed up the milling for the FSB. Finish is sub par. And it only took em 12 weeks on a 9 week quote time.

Out of spec lower. A modified magpul trigger guard was the only one that would fit. I tried 5 different ones. Milspec and after market.

9mm mag block missing screws.

Emails to Spikes: 3

Phone calls to Spikes: 3

Responses from Spikes: 0

They started out as a good company making quality parts at an affordable price. Then they got too big too fast. QC is non existent. Customer service? Well let's just say I have given up.

I work part time in a gun store that sells a lot of AR goodies and we no longer carry Spikes.

They have cool T-shirts though.

Buyer beware.

Now my BCM uppers feel like the bolt is on ball bearings. On my 16" lightweight middy, it is sitting at 600 rounds suppressed with nothing more then a shot of CLP through the dust cover. It has only been cleaned once.....the initial cleaning and inspection when I first got it. Right now is just a test to see when/how/why it will choke.

Eta: these experiences are just with my personal weapons. I don't have time for customer complaints.

xxxleafybugxxx
February 9, 2012, 12:39 AM
45... Something I've been back and forth on.. and I believe it will continue until the day I buy my rifle.
Should I build with a BCM upper?
Or buy complete?
I know I can build for a lot cheaper, but for some reason I think the gun will run smoother in general if I bought it complete. I hear only good from BCM, just not sure how accurate they are. What do you think?

Fishbed77
February 9, 2012, 01:01 AM
I have a similar Spikes upper to the one the OP is looking at. Mine is an M4 LE with a 9" BAR rail. Spikes makes a fantastic product. Mine has been 100% reliable, and is one of the smoothest-cycling rifles I've ever shot. Accuracy is very good.

By the way - it took all of 5 days to get mine after I ordered it. The key is to search various internet vendors to find what you want in stock.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0009.jpg

Mot45acp
February 9, 2012, 01:05 AM
You can build one, but you wont save much. The only reason to build a BCM upper is if they don't offer a configuration you are looking for. Pic a lower you like and pin a complete upper to it. No need to buy a whole rifle unless you just want an all factory gun.

Not all my ARs are BCM, but my go to rifle is a BCM light weight, mid length upper, with BCM bolt, MOE handguards, one lil rail at 10 o clock for a light. RRA lower with a gieselle SSA trigger. Just a KISS carbine. It took 7 years and thousands of dollars to come to this setup. I wish I knew back then what I know now.

Unless you are going to hang light, laser, PVS, VFG, tactical spork, MP3 player etc, skip the rails. Spend the extra money on ammo. Shoot a case through it then decide what you need/want. You can always add rails and accesories later and build exactly what you need to shoot well.

Accuracy is better than I can shoot. But its only has a 3.5 power TA-33 ACOG. Not exactly a percision optic. I can hit man sized paper targets out to 300 which is the farthest I have had to shoot.

This is not a stab at rails. My replacement upper for the Spikes mentioned above is going to be 11.5" with 10" rails. And honestly a decked out suppressed SBR needs rails.....to look cool. ;)

I will add I have a Spikes upper with a 20" diamond fluted YHM barrel that has given me no problems and is scary accurate. It is my favorite rifle range gun. The only thing Spikes on it is the upper itself.

Sorry for rambling but I hope it helps.

xxxleafybugxxx
February 9, 2012, 01:27 AM
I did the math and I can build a very basic model for roughly $800. Psa stripped, lpk, bcm upper, everything that goes with that. All for around 800. This is a build I have written down on paper. I hear people say the lower isn't important. If that's the case, then im good to go. I could also spend a little more and get a trigger upgrade. What do you think about all this?

Mot45acp
February 9, 2012, 01:47 AM
I think you would have a fine rifle. I think PSA had some teething issues with their lowers, but its been worked out.

I havent heard anything bad about them.

Make sure to post pics!

Now to start thinking about what kinda sights or optics.....sorry couldn't resist.

gotboostvr
February 9, 2012, 01:49 AM
BCM's are as accurate as any other AR of a similar configuration, if you're looking for a absolute tack driver look at their SS410 uppers. They're a bit pricey though. BCM's are made as work rifles, their target user base is more interested in supreme above all else reliability and their rifles are built SOLID. Mine's been completely flawless, I keep the barrel clean, the BCG I let get a little dirty because it doesn't seem to bother it any. (I did pick up a SS410 BTW) They also make some of he best BCG's on the market.

Colt's are in fact the gold standard with which all others are measured against. Arguably you can do no wrong buying a Colt. They also reportedly hold their resale value better.

Spike's and to some extent PSA are slightly more "budget minded" they have fantastic features at fantastic price's, being said there's been a few (and I mean VERY few) QC issues. I'm on the verge of building a 20" PSA if that shows you my confidence in them.

Deciding between these companies is the tough part.

xxxleafybugxxx
February 9, 2012, 02:08 AM
Yea, I just need to buy my Psa stopped sooner than later to solidify my decision. This flip flopping is driving me crazy

xxxleafybugxxx
February 9, 2012, 02:09 AM
I meant to put Psa stripped lower

gotigers
February 9, 2012, 09:29 AM
PSA makes good stuff. They can be a little slow shipping. PSA hold lowers for a few days to check the FFL and other stuff. They had some issues with complete uppers, but that has been worked out. They also had a bad batch of soft safety levers last year. That was worked out quickly. I have not heard of any issues with PSA lowers. Last year I built 2 complete ARs with PSA lowers and parts and 1 AR with mostly PSA parts. All three have been issue free.

Go to AR15.com and check out the PSA forum in the Industry forums. PSA will answer any questions you have on that forum. They usually reply within a day.

The PSA lower and parts with a BCM upper would be a very good combo.

xxxleafybugxxx
February 9, 2012, 10:51 AM
Ill give the lgs a call and the the lower process figured out!

SpookyPistolero
February 9, 2012, 09:34 PM
If you're more interested in saving a few bucks than in getting something quality from the start, then my writing is useless.

Spikes has a warranty because you may well need a warranty. Go search for problems with Spikes. Then go search for problems with Colt.

The next best decision would be a budget lower from any number of sources (a blemished BCM would be wise); then try this complete upper:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920MPU

xxxleafybugxxx
February 9, 2012, 09:42 PM
Spooky, funny you post that because that's EXACTLY the setup I was going to go with. Only with the BCM upper. What does this have to offer over BCM?
Also, I was going to build my lower from scratch, with a psa stripped

OhioChief
February 9, 2012, 10:10 PM
It's been said a couple times. Build one. You'll learn so much it's worth it. And you'll have a gun as accurate as most you'll buy in the same price range. Also, I've never gotten hung up on the "Lifetime Warranty". I've beat the sht out of my colt, and it's never needed a Warranty call. Frankly, once you're around it for a while, you'll want to fix anything yourself anyway, it's just more fun. Well, I've never had one blow-up, so I guess that would be different, but for most stuff, it's just too easy with an AR.

SpookyPistolero
February 9, 2012, 10:15 PM
Spooky, funny you post that because that's EXACTLY the setup I was going to go with. Only with the BCM upper. What does this have to offer over BCM?
Also, I was going to build my lower from scratch, with a psa stripped

The differences between a Colt and something like BCM are probably almost theoretical. BCM, DD, Noveske, Knights are all pretty 'good to go'. I just like Colt.

I think most would agree that, barring certain extremes, the lower isn't very critical. The same is NOT true of a lower parts kit; I'd spend the extra ~$20 on a decent LPK, too.

crracer_712
February 10, 2012, 12:25 AM
Leafy, At the last gun show, while debating on yet another 22 pistol, I decided to check out some AR's. The first one that caught my eye was a Spikes Tactical, identical to the one you linked too, only with Dark Earth furniture. I had never heard of Spikes (I'm relatively new to AR). I googled on my phone, but could come up with little to nothing, I was looking for a price comparison. The Gun Show price was just over 900 for this rifle. I didn't inquire about it, just looked it over, really liked it.

I went on my way to check some others out, ended up with a M&P 15A. I already was familiar with S&W and knew they had the lifetime warranty. This 15A was on sale for 870, so after a little thinking, I bought it.

Going to the next show at the first of the month, I know that dealer, with the Spikes will be there. If they have that Spikes, I think I'm going to get it. Seems like a nice rifle and a good company, and it was a great looking rifle!

gotigers
February 10, 2012, 09:23 AM
My first AR was a S&W. The M4gery type. I have added a lot to it since, but the internals and barrel are original. S&W makes a fine AR. Mine has been a warrior. Very accurate for a chrome lined 1:9 barrel. Never any FTFs or FTEs. This makes me think of the S&W sport. You can always get a sport for $600ish and change it as you learn and shoot it. It is a great entry into the AR market.

just another option.

Building is easy, but can be building a complete AR can be overwhelming. plus the cost of tools adds to the overall cost of the first one. I would suggest building a lower, the easiest, and getting a complete upper. Or a complete rifle and change it as you figure out what you want. The first AR you buy or build will not be what you finish with no matter how hard you try to plan. So don't spend a lot of time or money dwelling on the perfect AR. Just get a get good name AR, shoot it, learn and fight the addiction.

If you enjoyed reading about "Spikes Tactical ar" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!