New York leaders expected to condemn the NRA

PDA

jsalcedo
February 9, 2004, 08:34 PM
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/news/people/columns/intelligencer/n_9791/index.html

Will the NRA be the Republicans’ next cruise ship?

By Greg Sargent

The GOP-cruise-ship-on-the-Hudson fiasco may have sunk without a trace, but it looks like there’s more controversy looming over the approaching Republican National Convention. A group of local pols is planning to incite a brouhaha over the National Rifle Association’s expected presence at the convention. The group has long been a powerful GOP ally.

The battle lines are being drawn over a new Website, nraleaders.com, that exhaustively compiles the most unsavory quotes ever uttered by the gun group’s board members and top officials. The site—created by the Brady Campaign to End Gun Violence—notes that former rock star and NRA board member Ted Nugent once said on Fox’s Hannity and Colmes that homosexuality is “despicable” and quotes him telling the Detroit Free Press that “apartheid isn’t that cut-and-dry. All men are not created equal.” The site features other, equally astute observations by the leadership of the NRA and details a raft of pro-gun legislation the group is pushing in Congress.

In early February, City Council member Gale Brewer will introduce a resolution (expected to pass) demanding that the Republican National Committee condemn the gun organization’s policy goals and denounce the incendiary quotes. It will even insist that the GOP blast the NRA during the convention itself.

“The resolution is going to say, ‘We don’t want the NRA in NYC,’ ” Brewer says. “We’re planning a press conference. This will be as big an issue as the cruise ship was,” she adds hopefully.

Asked about the site, Mayor Bloomberg’s press secretary, Ed Skyler, said the mayor opposed the NRA’s legislation and called its views “reprehensible.” No one said hosting the convention would be a party.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoyed reading about "New York leaders expected to condemn the NRA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jsalcedo
February 9, 2004, 08:40 PM
BELLEVUE, WA-Two leading national gun rights organizations have cancelled
plans to hold their 20th annual conference in New York City, blaming Mayor
Michael Bloomberg's reported denunciation of the National Rifle Association
as "reprehensible."

The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA), and the
Second Amendment Foundation (SAF), announced today that they will take their
2005 Gun Rights Policy Conference elsewhere. The annual three-day conference
draws hundreds of participants, and provides over $500,000 in revenue to
hotels, restaurants and other businesses.

"Mayor Bloomberg's low opinion about the NRA, as reported in the current
issue of New York Magazine, is an insult to all firearms civil rights
organizations," said SAF Founder Alan Gottlieb. "If that's what the mayor
thinks, we'll hold our conference in a city that is safer, and more
hospitable to citizens who support all civil rights, including the right to
own firearms and to hold opinions that Bloomberg finds so disagreeable."

Not only has Bloomberg reportedly declared war on the NRA, so has at least
one member of the New York City Council. Councilwoman Gale Brewer plans to
introduce a resolution calling on the Republican National Committee to
denounce the NRA. Republicans will hold their national convention in New
York Aug. 30-Sept. 3.

"It's a shame," said CCRKBA Executive Director Joe Waldron, "that the RNC
couldn't relocate its convention, too. I'm certain there are many Republican
delegates headed to New York who firmly believe in the Second Amendment and
in the goals of those organizations that defend firearms owners' rights on a
daily basis."

"Given the apparent atmosphere of social bigotry that seems to exist in the
New York mayor's office and council chambers," Gottlieb explained, "we
simply have no choice but to find another location for our 2005 conference.
The annual GRPC is attended by NRA officials and devoted NRA members, and we
consider an insult to them to also be an insult directed at us, as well. We
will make every effort to advise the hundreds of thousands of our members
and supporters about this affront to their beliefs, and encourage them to
spend their vacation time, and their money, in more friendly surroundings."

The Second Amendment Foundation is the nation's oldest and largest
tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing
on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess
firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 600,000
members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform
the public about the consequences of gun control. SAF has previously funded
successful firearms-related suits against the cities of Los Angeles; New
Haven, CT; and San Francisco on behalf of American gun owners, a lawsuit
against the cities suing gun makers & an amicus brief & fund for the Emerson
case holding the Second Amendment as an individual right. Second Amendment
Foundation can be reached by phone at 425.454.7012, on the internet at
www.saf.org or by email to www@saf.org .

HunterGatherer
February 9, 2004, 08:51 PM
You know I actually thought that the folks in NYC would wake up after 9/11. I figured that staring into those smoking holes in the ground would actually help the drones in NYC to grow a pair. Looks like it's never gonna happen.

If Manhattan could figure out how to spin down the toilet it has made for itself - without sucking down the Statue of Liberty - I'd say God bless and good riddance!

Cool Hand Luke 22:36
February 10, 2004, 12:28 AM
Asked about the site, Mayor Bloomberg’s press secretary, Ed Skyler, said the mayor opposed the NRA’s legislation and called its views “reprehensible.” No one said hosting the convention would be a party.

It would show some rare backbone for the national Republican Party to tell Bloomberg to shut his pie hole, unfortunately what's more likely is that as the convention approaches the folks around Bush will reiterate Bush's support for the AWB renewal.

4v50 Gary
February 10, 2004, 12:36 AM
It would be nice if the RNC went elsewhere and took the NRA with it. The loss of revenue will have the hotels & tourist industry screaming at the politicos.:)

Leatherneck
February 10, 2004, 08:10 AM
Bloomers was a bigger disaster for NYC than 9/11/01 was. :fire:

TC
TFL Survivor

captlid
February 10, 2004, 07:57 PM
I am from new york city and unfortunately everytime i go to the voting booth i am sickened by the choices in front of me. :(
The average working man and woman in this city work so much just to support their families.....
I doubt most folks personal views in new york city reflect mayor bloomberg or our city council. The most important thing they do is rename streets, I have yet to see them do something of use. (opening up a dedicated court in brooklyn to prosecute gun possession doesnt count.)

When dixon was jailed eventually for a week at rykers, privately folks were shocked, but our media is obviously not representative of our views.
I am leaving this place as soon as I can. Its depressing.

Mark Tyson
February 10, 2004, 08:40 PM
New York leaders expected to condemn the NRA

Should read:

New York leaders expected to blame their inability to control crime on popular scapegoat

If you enjoyed reading about "New York leaders expected to condemn the NRA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!