Gerber Epic?

PDA

DC Plumber
February 8, 2012, 07:23 PM
Hey folks,

I'm thinking of getting a Gerber Epic. It's just for fun, though at the cabin would be a great beer bottle opener and camp knife. It's only $30+-.

I have plenty of Swiss Army knives and pocket knives, but this seems like a cool one to have.

Anyone have one? What do you think of it?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gerber Epic?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
plumberroy
February 8, 2012, 08:06 PM
Don't have one . But would buy one in a heart beat if they would make it with out the d#$%ed serrations on the blade:fire: Looks like a handy sized knife but for me serrated blade is a deal killer

DC Plumber
February 14, 2012, 06:43 PM
Dang, one week, over 200 views and only one reply.

Thanks plumberroy. I suppose for $30 I'll pick one up for the heck of it. Why don't you like serrations?

plumberroy
February 14, 2012, 07:45 PM
I know how to sharpen a knife. I keep my knives sharp A sharp fine edge knife cuts anything a serated is supose to cut better . I even called gerber and ask if they would make it with out the serations. I love the shape and size of the epic. Gerber may be coming around I saw that they are bring out the bear grylls knife in a plain edge. I reckon I'm just old school I don't do gut hooks either. I guess you can improve your skills or buy gear to make up for lack there of I choose to work on skills .

If you are a plumber I'm not buying this propress is the greatest stuff since sliced bread either. I think they will be a class action law suit when the chlorine in city water eats the O rings.

RustHunter87
February 14, 2012, 08:55 PM
serrated is for cutting rope, there the best for that IMO, I like the looks of the knife myself thought bout getting one despite the serrations but i already have a knife with a bottle opener, well several actual :p

got this for my "fishin" knife (http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-Knife-2370-Dogfish/dp/B001AQI3JS)

plumberroy
February 14, 2012, 09:33 PM
I know they are for cutting rope. I have a couple around I tried them . Eather swiss army knives I every day carry or the the 3 or 4 fixed blades I use commonly will cut through 1/2 or 3/4 rope (biggest rope I use) before I can get half way through the same rope with a serrated blade. I do keep my knives sharp

DC Plumber
February 14, 2012, 11:12 PM
Ya, I don't like to use fittings that use o-rings except for emergency repairs. It's going to fail someday, most likely sooner than a solder joint or threaded joint. Pex is great in my opinion, but o-rings fittings........no.

plumberroy
February 15, 2012, 07:19 AM
pex is great Only problem with tne old quest was plastic fittings. I work in hospital maintenance now so anymore I just rebuild faucets and medgas, recirc. pumps unclog drains P.M equipment anything heavy goes to a contractor
Roy

JShirley
February 15, 2012, 10:52 AM
I bought one for a sailor leaving theater, to thank him for his hard work. Seemed like a good little knife.

J

19-3Ben
February 15, 2012, 08:14 PM
For less than a $5 difference, I might be tempted to get the Becker BK11 (http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-BK11-Becker-Necker-Knife/dp/B001N1CBB6).
No serrations, and you still get the bottle opener.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gerber Epic?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!