Over all length question...

PDA

hawkeye10
February 9, 2012, 07:12 PM
I am loading some 357 mag. ammo with 158 grain cast bullet and I am concerned about the OAL. My Lyman hand gun loading manual says the OAL should be 1.590. I am seating and crimping the bullet in the crimping grove and I am getting an OAL of 1.624. The bullet doesn't stick out the end of the cylinder so I think it might be okay but I want to make sure. These will be shot in my revolvers only. Here is a link to the bullet I am using. Thanks Don

http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=41&category=5&secondary=10&keywords=

If you enjoyed reading about "Over all length question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cfullgraf
February 9, 2012, 07:21 PM
As long as the rounds chamber easily and do not stick out the end of the cylinder, you are good to go.

You should work up the load to make sure you do not run into any pressure problems.

Lyman probably used a bullet cast from a different mold from yours. The crimping groove is probably in a different location and the nose of the bullet may be of a slightly different shape.

hawkeye10
February 9, 2012, 07:50 PM
:) Thanks Chuck. I am using 12.5 grains of 2400 so I am nowhere near max. Don

Walkalong
February 9, 2012, 08:35 PM
Yep. Crimp into the crimp groove and whatever OAL that is, is right.

1SOW
February 9, 2012, 11:22 PM
My Lyman hand gun loading manual says the OAL should be 1.590. I am seating and crimping the bullet in the crimping grove and I am getting an OAL of 1.624.

If it were the other way around you could have problems. Loading a "longer" oal (that fits) is okay, cuz pressure will "decrease" with a longer oal.
Reloading data gives the "minimum" oal for the pressures listed.

NeuseRvrRat
February 9, 2012, 11:30 PM
often times, manuals will list a SAAMI maximum COAL. this is to make sure that all factory ammo will fit in the magazine. it's ok to exceed that COAL as long as the ammo cycles ok and you don't have your bullets sticking out of the revolver cylinder or have the bullets jammed into the lands.

langenc
February 9, 2012, 11:57 PM
Ok for the revolver. Might find some pistol that will have trouble feeding-remote.

If you enjoyed reading about "Over all length question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!