Storing bulk bulletts

PDA

johnjr22
February 9, 2012, 08:32 PM
What do you all think the best method of storing bulk purchased bullets would be?

If you enjoyed reading about "Storing bulk bulletts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
February 9, 2012, 08:33 PM
Besides in the boxes they came in?

Bush Pilot
February 9, 2012, 08:39 PM
What do you all think the best method of storing bulk purchased bullets would be?
Some people seat them on the end of a brass case with powder and primer. That's one of my favorite methods.

Certaindeaf
February 9, 2012, 08:42 PM
I like to bury them in a berm.

JEB
February 9, 2012, 08:44 PM
i typically just leave them in the box they came in

THe Dove
February 9, 2012, 08:46 PM
When I break a box open, I usually store what I don't immediately start loading in cleaned plastic mayo or plastic peanut butter jars. Just what I do.

The Dove

johnjr22
February 9, 2012, 09:04 PM
Came in USPS flat boxes....unmarked!!! Just wanted to get them out of that into something that will store them for a few days...weeks....until I get my act together......:banghead: i.e....shouldn't be concerned about how?...just put them in something???

oneounceload
February 9, 2012, 09:08 PM
Old coffee containers.....OR you could go to the PO and get some free boxes and use them

Certaindeaf
February 9, 2012, 09:11 PM
I put them in my bathtub and frolic.

Kevin Rohrer
February 9, 2012, 09:15 PM
I store mine on shelves until needed. They don't complain.

GT1
February 9, 2012, 09:20 PM
When I break open the ups/usps box they came in they are in stapled plastic bags.
So I use those glad(whatever brand was cheapest) disposable bowls one finds on the grocery store shelf. They come in stacks of 4 or whatever for a buck or so. Works great, a piece of tape on the side and a sharpie for labeling.

johnjr22
February 9, 2012, 09:34 PM
GT1..that will work...what I was thinking...thanks.

armarsh
February 9, 2012, 09:54 PM
After you open the box and fondle them for awhile, it is time to pour the box into a 50 cal ammo can. At least that is what I do.
http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt174/armarsh/P2140123.jpg

FROGO207
February 9, 2012, 09:55 PM
I am kind of anal sometimes so I count them out 50 or 100 to a quart freezer zip-Loc bag making sure that I got at least as many as I paid for. Then when reloading them into brass I already have the storage bag ready for me to label and stuff into ammo cans. I do it this way because it works best for me.:D

johnjr22
February 9, 2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks Frog...might be a better way to go...lots of 50 sounds like a good idea.

Walkalong
February 9, 2012, 10:12 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=78866&d=1211725528
Works for just the bullets as well. Any kind of ammo can will work. This is a surplus box that was used as a first aid kit, but it is strong and has the same type rubber seal.

1SOW
February 9, 2012, 11:08 PM
I just today opened the original shipped "box" containing 2000 125gr Zero JHPs. They were in smaller boxes of 500 ea and those were "sealed" inside a plastic wrap, inside the taped-shut shipping box. These arrived about 6-8 mos ago.

I started reloading them and noticed the 'noses' were a darker color than normal. They were 'tarnished' on the tips.
I load them out of the boxes holding 500. I load for 1-2 months ahead, so they'll be in the berm within four months.
This is the first time I've seen this tarnishing out of the unopened box they came in.

Certaindeaf
February 9, 2012, 11:20 PM
^
Were they kinda brown?

smalltownguy
February 10, 2012, 02:12 PM
i get the styro foam trays from work.
They come with the tubes for drawing blood- 100 holes.
I have a few hundred, they save them for me.
Local dr office/lab pick up place/hospital lab should have them.
We go through thousands of tubes each month.
Store bullets, dump bullets on them and the holes fill up and poof--100 bullets/
i use them to sort brass by head stamp as well.

Bush Pilot
February 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
Frog, you have time to count bulk bullet orders? Wow, I barely have time to find a place to stack the cases.

mizer67
February 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
I like to spread them on the bed and roll around in a pile of bullets, throwing a few up in the air from time to time like wads of cash.

Or you could just leave them in the box they came in.

XxBulletBendeRXx
February 10, 2012, 06:14 PM
Like most.. I too put them in coffee containers, mayo containers, whatever containers I have on hand. Masking tape and label with a sharpie for storage. They usually arnt stored for too long....

Alec
February 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
Works for just the bullets as well. Any kind of ammo can will work. This is a surplus box that was used as a first aid kit, but it is strong and has the same type rubber seal.

Does that box have a white cross on it?

I find the concept of opening a first aid kit to find copious amounts of ammunition to be humorous. :)

Walkalong
February 10, 2012, 07:10 PM
Does that box have a white cross on it?Yep

zxcvbob
February 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
I use peanut butter jars. The plastic is thick and really tough, and clear so you can see what's inside.

1SOW
February 10, 2012, 11:36 PM
Certaindeaf: Were they kinda brown?

Exactly. Mostly at the top half of the nose.

Certaindeaf
February 11, 2012, 01:46 AM
Certaindeaf:

Exactly. Mostly at the top half of the nose.
:D lol

Fatelvis
February 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
I like to scatter them around a small semi-circle, light 1 candle for every 10 bullets, and make a sort of shrine. I then proceed to speak in reloading tongues.
The wife thinks I'm downstairs reloading...Ha! Fooled her!

grandutefan
February 15, 2012, 01:42 PM
I think somebody else posted this idea but I cleaned out and cut off the plastic label to a parmesan cheese container. They are pretty strong and held exactly 500 copper plated 115 gr 9mm bullets. You flip open the larger hole and shake out what you need.

JohnM
February 15, 2012, 02:06 PM
I haven't mastered this art of storing bulk bullets.
Most of mine come in cardboard boxes, a few in plastic.
They stay in them till they're used up, then the box gets chucked. :confused:

medalguy
February 15, 2012, 02:30 PM
Yep. Same here. I mark the ends of the cardboard boxes with a black Sharpie and then drop them into 50 cal ammo cans to stack neatly.

cougar1717
February 15, 2012, 03:05 PM
Came in USPS flat boxes....unmarked!!!

The only difference is that I write the caliber on the face of the box with a marker before I put the box on the shelf.

jeepmor
February 16, 2012, 12:32 AM
Plastic jars work for me. Peanut butter jars seem to be the toughest. I like those squarish ones a lot too as they are better overall use of storage volume, but they are not as thick. Don't drop one will 2000 223 bullets on the floor from 3', they won't stay inside.

jeepmor

evan price
February 16, 2012, 05:13 AM
I write on the cardboard box with a sharpie too. Then the smaller boxes get stacked inside rectangular Tidy-Cat kitty-litter buckets. One bucket for one caliber. Those buckets have snap-on lids and handles and they stack securely and neatly. Those get stacked on the floor over a load-bearing beam. Brass the same way. If the box is too big for the bucket I break it down into smaller boxes or bags.

The open, in-use bullets go into a small plastic jar, such as bulk spices or peanut butter or Planters Peanuts come in. There's another bucket I keep on top which is for the open containers.

The bulk rifle stuff goes in 30-cal cans, and those fit under my couch.

Boolits I cast and tumble lube go in a peanut butter or peanuts jar because they withstand oil well.

dragon813gt
February 16, 2012, 07:07 AM
Bullets I cast go in 30 cal ammo cans. Jacketed bullets stay in the boxes they came in since I don't use them in bulk.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

dbarnhart
February 16, 2012, 09:13 AM
I tend to buy and/or cast bullets in large quantities. My local shooting range made a huge buy of the MTM Case-Gard 30 and 50cal ammo boxes and sold them at a great price. I bought a bunch and they are perfect for bulk bullet and brass storage.

ZeSpectre
February 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
I'm like FROGO207

I am kind of anal sometimes so I count them out 50 or 100 to a quart freezer zip-Loc bag making sure that I got at least as many as I paid for.

A few notes on that though.
1) It's easy to count "50" or "100" lots. Simpy use an old empty ammo tray and dump the bullets into it for a fast "50 count.

2) If you are like me (with very acidic skin chemicals) you should probably wear gloves of some sort so that the bullets don't discolor over time.

3) I do things in lots of 100 and create what I call "load packs" for later. Each "load pack" consists of a small ziploc baggie holding 100 bullets (with a slip of paper detailing the bullet info), 100 pcs of prepped brass, and a tray of appropriate primers, all placed inside a gallon freezer (heavy) ziploc baggie and then put on a shelf for whenever I feel like loading some ammo.

I work a single stage press so this is really handy for me to know what I have ready for loading whenever the urge hits. :D

Romeo 33 Delta
February 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
I use Midway UB36 blue, square, plastic boxes with a snap lid. They will hold about 250 147gr .308" FMJs (just for example) and stack nicely. I used to keep them in the shipping cartons, but they would be all different sizes and conditions ... not ideal for orderliness!

quartermaster
February 16, 2012, 04:55 PM
I got more of a chuckle out of these posts than any other ever. Very funny and entertaining. It's nice to enjoy the lighter side of things.

Hats off to the OP for having a sense of humor also.

I know one thing after reading this thread. I'll be thinking twice about threads that i start which may be susceptible to this comical abuse.

Ya just gotta love it. I will stop smurking sometime tonight.

Beat-tu
February 16, 2012, 05:46 PM
Postwoman just delivered 2000 .38 125gr fmj's from Rocky Mountain. Two small flat rate boxes 35.7 lbs.....postwoman was not particularly happy, nor was LOML....now how to store them?? <grin>

Dr_B
February 16, 2012, 05:57 PM
I put them in my bathtub and frolic.

Ah, someone beat me to it! In a slightly different twist, I like them in a pile that I can jump on and roll around in. Much like the Tooth Fairy in Family Guy.

Steel Talon
February 16, 2012, 06:04 PM
I recycle those large Sefreytt Butter Pretzels plastic jars they come in at COSTCO for the storing of bulk projectiles. They fit on my bench shelves perfectly, allow me a visual when I look for bullet choice.

Whereas storage in boxes etc. I have to open up for a looksie.

quartermaster
February 16, 2012, 06:10 PM
Keep em coming. This is becoming my favorite thread!

Wildbillz
February 17, 2012, 02:53 AM
The new type of coffee can looks like it would work good. Small plastic boxs are a buck or two each at wallmart, they work well. Good old fashon ammo can is what I prefer if I can find them. Stock with the 30 cal cans a 50 cal one gets real heavy fast.

Brake em down in to ziploc bags of 100 or so and store that way for convenance or just dump them into the ammo can for bulk storage.

WB

twohightech
February 20, 2012, 01:33 AM
what about in the freezer they will last a long time if you do not shoot much. Than they are those good 30 rnd clips that bullets stack into real nice. I feel what works the best for you is the way to go?

If you enjoyed reading about "Storing bulk bulletts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!