Hammer Bite???????

PDA

cslinger
January 29, 2003, 04:12 PM
Okay so I know what hammer bite is but I just don't understand how it happens because I am lucky enough to have never had this happen to me.

No I can see how a Walther slide can bite you but for the life of me I can see how the hammer on say a 1911 can reach all the way back to the top of my shooting hand. I do have small hands and maybe that is a blessing.

Does this happen because of a poor grip or because people don't hold on properly during recoil.....I just don't understand.

Please educate me.

I probably should not have posted this because the next time I go shooting I will probably have it happen and get to hear Mr. Murphy saying in my head "You wanted to learn about it idiot."

Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Hammer Bite???????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
January 29, 2003, 04:27 PM
I'm not exactly sure of how the mechanics of hammer bite occurs, but I do know that on some guns, I get bit :scrutiny: IT was so bad w/ my Colt '91a1 that I had to have beavertail installed just to mix a little comfort to the shooting session. I think it just has to do w/ a high grip & fleshy hands :what:

JohnK
January 29, 2003, 04:32 PM
The only gun I've had it happen to me with is a 1911 with a mil spec hammer and beaver tail grip safety. After shooting customized 1911's for years with high grip beavertails and commander hammers I hold them with a very high grip. I also have fairly large meaty hands.

It doesn't bite but much, but it sure stings.

BigG
January 29, 2003, 04:36 PM
Steel, I understand, has more bounce per ounce than rubber. When the slide recoils, it hits the hammer and the hammer actually bounces off faster than the slide is travelling. When it gets to the end of its travel it makes a nice whiplike bruise on any flesh within its reach. Unfortunately, many people's hands have flesh within the hammer's reach. That's how I understand hammer bite.

cslinger
January 29, 2003, 04:50 PM
I guess I am just lucky my hands ain't that meaty. Never happend to me and I have even tried to hold in a way that it would happen.

Too bad the rest of me isn't "Meaty".

Thanks Everybody
Chris

10-Ring
January 29, 2003, 05:00 PM
Too bad the rest of me isn't "Meaty".

Yikes! :what: as my son says, that was TMI..."Too Much Information!"

cslinger
January 29, 2003, 05:06 PM
Not that part ya sickos. Ya know like I could stand to lose a pound or forty.

Chris.

Plan-B
January 29, 2003, 06:11 PM
I'm glad I have a P99. No hammer to bite... :neener:

cslinger
January 30, 2003, 11:41 AM
I'm glad I have a P99. No hammer to bite...

Hey, I have one of those too. Great gun, never misses a beat.

Actually I don't think I have ever been injured by any of my firearms, accept maybe during cleaning.

I guess I am lucky. I am taking the 1911 out this week though so we will see what happens after I make a comment like I am lucky.

Chris

mete
January 30, 2003, 11:53 AM
Hands come in many different sizes and shapes and it also matters how you hold it. The web of the hand is pinched between hammer and frame. The solutions are on the 1911 to get beaver tail , or get a different gun especially one that doen't have a hammer like glock or P7.

MonkeyMan
January 30, 2003, 12:04 PM
The only guns that have ever bitten me are a Mauser HSC and an FEG GP-35 clone. On the HSC it was pure dumb: little experience with a semi-auto and the slide opened up the thumb of my support hand. The skin on that knuckle never grew back right.:uhoh:

The FEG is another story. Something about that gun that I just couldn't get around. After 50 rounds or so I'd have a nasty red spot on the web of my hand the size of the hammer ring. I sold it to a good friend who has bigger hands than mine and it doesn't bite him. Go figure.:scrutiny:

Stay safe.

Jim V
January 30, 2003, 12:49 PM
With a 1911 style pistol there are two types of"hammer" bite. The first is where the grip safetyand frame are not smooth and even when the grip safety is depressed. That condition will leave a set of parallel marks or even cuts on the web of the shooting hand. The second type of "hammer" bite is where the hammer does come in contact with the hand. That can be caused by having fleashy hands or by having a hammer with a spur that over laps the grip safety.

The first condition can be prevented by blending the grip safety and frame so there are no sharp seams to bite the hand.

The second condition can be prevented by: bobbing the hammer spur and/or installing a beaver tail grip safety.

twoblink
January 30, 2003, 01:15 PM
My Ruger 22/45 bites me all the time; had that happen at Oleg's house.. arrrg... I am thinking about replacing it with a Sig Trailside, as soon as I get out of ...Taiwan err... PRK....

If you enjoyed reading about "Hammer Bite???????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!