Why Not a M1 Garand?

PDA

Welding Rod
February 10, 2012, 12:14 AM
If you are a gun enthusiast and don't own a M1 Garand, why not?

Don't like iron sights? Don't like .30-06? Don't want an old beat up gun? Hard to find one? Too expensive? ???

Just curious.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why Not a M1 Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DCoke
February 10, 2012, 12:16 AM
Don't own one......yet!
I want more than a showpiece. I want a shooter as well. Finding one that is reliable and safe to shoot and still be a joy to look at too....

tyeo098
February 10, 2012, 12:17 AM
Too expensive for me.

The cheap ones tend to be eaten up.

jmstevens2
February 10, 2012, 12:26 AM
CMP has a bunch that have new barrels and new walnut stocks and have been refinished for $995. I got a service grade H&R, but I think I am going to order one of these now. They are sweet! And with new barrels they will be great shooters. The work is all done by the arsenal at Ft McClellan so it will be right.

cthulhufan
February 10, 2012, 12:29 AM
Love everything about 'em except the price.

oldpapps
February 10, 2012, 12:37 AM
Don't have one. Have two and love them both.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=158728&stc=1&d=1328848584

Hardtarget
February 10, 2012, 01:07 AM
I wanted one for years! When I finally got one...the price was RIGHT! My family got me one for Christmas three years ago! :what::D

I just plain love having it in my safe...and on my shoulder at the range. I'm no crack shot and many would show me up bad at a match...but nobody has more fun pulling that trigger. It goes well with the .30 carbine, too. :D

Mark

ShawnC
February 10, 2012, 01:40 AM
Have one in 7.62. Love it.

But perhaps it's not for some people. The M1A is a great gun, why doesn't everyone have one of those? Or a 1911? The list goes on. It can be heavy for some people, some people prefer a scope or a different round.

why.kyle
February 10, 2012, 02:47 AM
Price is the only reason. Im starting out Im my firearm collection so I need rifles that are a bit more purpose driven.. but its on my list... as soon as I can afford it.

Redbearded1
February 10, 2012, 03:07 AM
Too expensive and hard to find. Would love to get my grubby little fingers on one though.

briansmithwins
February 10, 2012, 03:23 AM
Owned one.

8 round mags you can't top off suck.

I was living in a desert and wearing your guts on the outside the M1 picks up a lot of garbage.

No night sights available.

BSW

MachIVshooter
February 10, 2012, 03:26 AM
Have one, gave $600 for it in '05.

I don't shoot it that much, but its not going anywhere.

mljdeckard
February 10, 2012, 03:39 AM
It's on the list, I'll get one eventually.

It would be purely for fun and history. I already have scoped '06s I use for other things, I won't shoot better with the Garand's iron sights It's just something to have to crank through expensive ammo. But eventually I want examples of all of the widely-used rifles of the 20th century.

Dr.Rob
February 10, 2012, 04:31 AM
I went to buy one in 94 before the AWB passed.. and I couldn't find one in my budget AT ALL(think I had $700 on me at the time). I came home with an AK that I never really enjoyed shooting. Garands haven't gotten any cheaper since. ;)

P-32
February 10, 2012, 06:09 AM
8 round mags you can't top off suck.

Ah but you can. The clip can be ejected, filled and reinstalled. The CMP is the only place IMHO to get M-1. It will be the real deal. Even at the CMP prices you will never hurt your self value wise.

briansmithwins
February 10, 2012, 06:54 AM
Ah but you can. The clip can be ejected, filled and reinstalled.

Try doing that in the dark, with wet hands, in between volleys of chicom hand grenades.

BSW

critter
February 10, 2012, 07:06 AM
I have 2. One is a DCM gun. (Remember them? Now CMP.) The other is a new one made by Springifield. The second one I'd sell-not that it isn't a wonderful gun. BUT the other I paid $165 for from DCM and is a Korean War era gun that I'll just keep--just 'cause I like it, like to shoot it and would like to hear its stories.

Gtscotty
February 10, 2012, 07:54 AM
Try doing that in the dark, with wet hands, in between volleys of chicom hand grenades.

BSW

Wow... what shooting range do you go to? :eek:

The Garand is definitely an interesting and historical rifle, but alas, I find myself with limited funds and unlimited wants.... its just not close enough to the top of my list... yet.

StrawHat
February 10, 2012, 08:28 AM
I do not own one and never will. The 30-06 is an okay cartridge but the weight of the Garand is more appropriate for a 458 than the 30-06. Also, I am not fond of self loaders. For me, rimmed cartridges that start with .4 and go up are the ones I look toward purchasing.

HoosierQ
February 10, 2012, 08:43 AM
I'll bet just about every shooter wants a Garand. I suspect there is always some concern about the fact that it isn't really 30-'06 in the modern sense in that one must use ammo in a very narrow range of bullet weight and pressure within the entire 30-'06 spectrum.

So for me, while on the list, an '03 Springfield or Model of 1917 Enfield in 30-'06 are higher because I could shoot any and all sporting 30-'06 in those rifles.

I expect a few folks have been at least slowed down on their quest for a Garand by this ammo question.

Creature
February 10, 2012, 08:46 AM
Too expensive for me.

The cheap ones tend to be eaten up.

This goes for me as well...

hornet41
February 10, 2012, 08:50 AM
I have one of the "New" Springfield Armory M1's in .308. That puppy is a pure pleasure to shoot. Weight?? Makes for a very stable platform!! The best battle sights ever!! You will be amazed at how fast you can reload a Garand with practice. Buy lots of en block clips and go for it!!!
Have two M1A's in the safe and almost always grab the M1 instead before heading to the range!!:)

Bojangles7
February 10, 2012, 09:16 AM
I expect a few folks have been at least slowed down on their quest for a Garand by this ammo question

That and the price have been my reasons for not getting one. Sure I'd like to have one, but I can't see enjoying it 2-3X more than my K31 or gustafs 1896.

Tempest 455
February 10, 2012, 09:21 AM
My favorite rifle! :)

kaferhaus
February 10, 2012, 09:27 AM
I have a "collector grade" Winchester. Haven't shot it in at least 15yrs.

Would I buy one now? No. They're way over priced for nothing more than a shooter grade rifle. Same with the Carbine. I have 3 of those that I bought back in the late 70s. I paid 160.00 each for them and all three are collector grade guns, not "parts guns" as most are that are found today. Last I checked the shooter grade carbines are bringing over 700.00... and there's about a million more of them in circulation now than back when I bought mine. So even with "inflation" those guns shouldn't be selling for more than about $450-$500 for a shooter grade gun.

But so long as uneducated schmucks will pay ridiculous prices for them they'll continue to go up.... the supply and demand is there for now, but the time will come when it will come crashing back down. Just like the ARs and AKs did. In my opinion the ARs are still a bit overpriced. And SKS rifles are way overpriced... especially when you consider they were imported at about $20 each.

Deus Machina
February 10, 2012, 09:30 AM
I can never find one local for anything below ludicrous prices.

I haven't even been able to go through the CMP, because the clubs I would have to join to show 'enthusiasm'--unless a CCL works?--are about as far away as they can get and still be in the same state.

If I could find one with a good stock and receiver, for what the guys here report they pay, I'd gladly rebarrel.

JRI
February 10, 2012, 09:35 AM
I've never had the desire to own one,I've shot a few but was very unimpressed with them. I prefer iron sights over optics and bolt action over semi auto.

I own a few mil surps,21 to be exact,none of which are semi autos,and none are American,seems the American mil surps are copies of European mil surps,just my opinion however.

wombat13
February 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
I'll bet just about every shooter wants a Garand. I suspect there is always some concern about the fact that it isn't really 30-'06 in the modern sense in that one must use ammo in a very narrow range of bullet weight and pressure within the entire 30-'06 spectrum.

Not true. $30 spent on an adjustable gas plug + 1 screwdriver + One trip to the range = Shooting any .30-06 ammo you want in your Garand.

MtnSpur
February 10, 2012, 11:02 AM
Inherited one that had an almost black dip and hang stock, rear and front handguards. The operating rod rubbed on the inside of the stock and woulldn't allow the bolt to fully close. ROTC "way back when" taught us about disassembly/reassembly and all the things in between. Happy to say it's Springfield Armory part equipped though it was an Arlington Arsenal refurb. After some sanding of the offending wood where the OR rubbed and refinish she chugs along like a champ....8 bangs and a "ping" and ready for another charged enbloc. What's not to like?

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h351/MtnSpur/M1Garand1800x600-1.jpg

rori
February 10, 2012, 11:03 AM
I trained with a garand and fought with it for a very short period of time. I love em!!!!The weight may be a bit to carry but its worth it makes for a great club when you run out of ammo and with a bayonet fixed that extra weight gives you better penetration. They are accurate and you can drag them thru water, sand, mud, and any other kind of crap and they keep on shooting. Eight rounds is fine if your a rifleman and pick your shots. If your a sprayer you need a machine gun. FRJ

61chalk
February 10, 2012, 11:23 AM
I could of bought one in the late 70's...picked one up an wow..thats kinda heavy...an thought they were ugly...I saved up an bought a Remington 700 30-06...then sold it an bought a Colt AR......fast forward to 2009 an I see an CMP advertisement for M1 Garands an saw people on this forum talking about them an the CMP. My son also got interested in them an we drove to the N. Store in Ohio an looked at them...we wanted WWII era an got to Field Grades made in Nov. an Dec. of 1942, both are excellent shooters. My Dad was in WWII an so these kinda got special to me. I can honestly say I hold my Garand with more reverance an admiration than any rifle I have ever owned. I love the way this rifle works an performs an the power of the 30-06....I often think of the men that used this rifle to help secure our freedom.

zz4camaro1980
February 10, 2012, 11:29 AM
because I bought the M1A instead

TwoEyedJack
February 10, 2012, 11:58 AM
I got one through the CMP back when Klinton was pres. It was delicious getting a government subsidized battle rifle from slick Willie. Mine is a post-Korean war rebuild, 6/63 barrel replacement, SA. It is a good shooter. I have been looking for a scabbard for it. The US Army issued a leather scabbard with a steel channel for the operating rod handle. No luck yet.

benEzra
February 10, 2012, 12:08 PM
I want one, but can't afford one yet. I've had to sell a few rifles recently to make ends meet, so I'm down to two practical carbines and one milsurp (Finn M39, $179 when I bought it).

I'd like to own one, though, just for the history's sake.

Tim the student
February 10, 2012, 12:25 PM
I haven't even been able to go through the CMP, because the clubs I would have to join to show 'enthusiasm'--unless a CCL works?

Your CPL will aid you for the marksmanship activity, not the "affiliated organization". (As does a DD214, and hunters safety, and shooting in a competition. Probably one or 2 ways that I'm forgetting about.)

You can join many clubs online. GCA is one.

Now that you know that you could have that order in the mail in short order, we expect pics and a range report when it arrives.

Squeaky Wheel
February 10, 2012, 12:55 PM
Why Not a M1 Garand?

Because I am not worthy! :neener:

Two of my uncles who were in the Korean War (only 1 of the 2 was actually in combat) repeatedly told of how fine a rifle it was and how they (my uncles) could accurately shoot them at 1000 yards (might have been meters). My father was in the Army (after Korea, but before Vietnam) and started with the M1 and then was later issued the M14. He also has fond memories of the M1 (except for his 'M1 Thumb' incident). My father commented that he found the M1 to be more reliable than the M14 when the rifle was exposed to lots of dirt, sand, muck, etc. The only negative about the M1 (other than my Dad's 'M1 Thumb') that I've heard from my father and uncles was that the M1 was heavy.

I have never owned an M1 (yet), but was lucky enough to fire one at a Garand Hi-Power Fun Shoot several years ago (and fun it was!). The M1 is on my list of rifles to get. I bought an M1A first because I figured it would be the more likely of the two (M1 and M1A) to be banned by future legislation or presidential decree.

I'm also a big history buff and have a deep respect for the M1 for the role in played in WW2. Like the 1903 Springfield, the M1 just has an awesome feel in your hands.

MythBuster
February 10, 2012, 01:20 PM
"I haven't even been able to go through the CMP, because the clubs I would have to join to show 'enthusiasm'--unless a CCL works?--are about as far away as they can get and still be in the same state."

You are not trying hard enough. There are plenty of clubs such as the Garand Collectors Association and many others you can join by mail from about $25 to $50 a year.

MythBuster
February 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
It is no problem to get a good Garand through the CMP. If you want one go for it.

1KPerDay
February 10, 2012, 01:40 PM
They're way over priced for nothing more than a shooter grade rifle. Same with the Carbine. I have 3 of those that I bought back in the late 70s. I paid 160.00 each for them and all three are collector grade guns, not "parts guns" as most are that are found today. Last I checked the shooter grade carbines are bringing over 700.00... and there's about a million more of them in circulation now than back when I bought mine. So even with "inflation" those guns shouldn't be selling for more than about $450-$500 for a shooter grade gun.

$160 in 1978 is $552.00 now... I paid less than that for my 2 carbines from the CMP. Dunno why you're getting your dander up... :confused:

1KPerDay
February 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
I haven't even been able to go through the CMP, because the clubs I would have to join to show 'enthusiasm'--unless a CCL works?--are about as far away as they can get and still be in the same state.

http://www.thegca.org/

Your CCL should work for one of the requirements if live fire training was required. Or a hunter's safety card also works.

Kevin5098
February 10, 2012, 01:47 PM
I had a Garand for a couple years and really liked it. Unfortunately had to sell it to support my habit - Eating! When things got better I thought about replacing it, but decided to get something that's cheaper to feed. Even the Greek ammo prices have soared in the last couple years. I just can't see having a firearm that I won't be shooting on a regular basis.

Cop Bob
February 10, 2012, 03:47 PM
Got two, would not trade them for ANYTHING... Great performance, shoot ALL DAY recoil, really nice accuracy, just an all around barrel of fun!!! Give me my 43 Winchester and 800 yards, and I own all within it..

dmazur
February 10, 2012, 04:14 PM
I have a Springfield Armory Inc. Garand (replica).

It filled my need for nostalgia, but I am well aware that it isn't a real one, and I'd like to remedy that before they are all gone. :)

FlyinBryan
February 10, 2012, 04:40 PM
Your CCL should work for one of the requirements if live fire training was required.
it did for me. texas concealed handgun license.

Ultravox
February 10, 2012, 04:49 PM
I don't have one...yet.

It's on my list though.

Robert101
February 10, 2012, 05:12 PM
Too expensive for what you get (In my opinion). I like the AR-10 or 308LR rifles better. The only appeal to me regarding this rifle is its history which is big (no doubt). Right now I'm stuck on the AR rifle.

rskent
February 10, 2012, 05:57 PM
Indeed, why not?
The M1 is a great rifle. Soft shooting, very accurate with irons. Whatís not to like?
My only problem is that I donít get to take it to the range very often :(
Steve

Deus Machina
February 10, 2012, 06:09 PM
Well, then. Already spent my tax return, but budget willing I'll start putting money aside.

Until then, I'll scrounge gunbroker for receivers. Something about making my own stuff...

P-32
February 10, 2012, 06:14 PM
Brian Smith said:

A comment was made you could not top off a M-1 clip. I say you can too....

Same thing can be said about topping off a mag. Now, I don't know about you but if I were under fire and wanted to have a topped off rifle, I would do a Tactical reload. In other words install a fresh clip and retain the partial clip and rounds. Just like what I would do with a magazine fed rifle. And besides, if in between volleys of hand grenades, I needed to top off I might just leave the partial clip on the ground. But to say a M-1 clip can not be topped off is still incorrect.

Next question is Mr. Smith, how many M-1's have you fired? I have competed with one since about 2002. I owned one before that.

Orlando
February 10, 2012, 06:34 PM
The M1 Collectors Club is $14 for a full year memebership unlike the GCA whish is $25 and runs Sept-Sept no matter when you join.
If you want a cheap no frills club membership the M1CC is the way to go

velocette
February 10, 2012, 06:44 PM
My M1 Garand (pronounced Gerrund) purchased through the DCM in the early 80s for $169.00 and delivered to my door. (No dealer, no ffl, no BS and it is still so today)
Springfield mfg, has some dings, scars, dents, - - - - like it was - - well, - - -used.
My Marine son, borrowed it for two years, did NOT want to give it back, darn near had to twist his jarhead arm out of its socket to get it back.
The same rifles today from the CMP (A great bunch of folks to work with, deal with and communicate with) start around $500.00. Worth every penny and then some.
It's no heavier than the M14 (M1a) and is lighter when both are filled up with ammo.
It has a history and a charisma that should be used to run for president. (When was the last time an M1 Garand lied to you?)
Buy 'em now because they will soon be sold out. like the 03 Springfields, '17 Enfields, .30 carbines, you get the message?

Roger

1KPerDay
February 10, 2012, 07:13 PM
My M1 Garand (pronounced Gerrund)
Mine isn't... ;)

John Garand = GAIR-und
The rifle he designed = M1 guh-RAND

Yes I know it doesn't make sense but that's how it goes. :D

P-32
February 10, 2012, 07:17 PM
My DCM was $167.oo delivered. I almost forgot I had ordered the thing because it took so long.

Gunnerboy
February 10, 2012, 07:23 PM
Dont see a need to own one, shot em cleaned em held many repaired a few, just not a huge fan of spending 6-800$ on a common semi auto 3006. Now a johnson 1941 thats one id like to have.

wrench
February 10, 2012, 07:45 PM
I love them.
I think it's a good looking rifle, soft shooting, reeking of history.
When I take one to the range, it turns heads like no other.

bergmen
February 10, 2012, 07:45 PM
My son has a Garand, I have an M1A. We have it covered.

Dan

AethelstanAegen
February 10, 2012, 08:07 PM
Brian Smith said:

Same thing can be said about topping off a mag. Now, I don't know about you but if I were under fire and wanted to have a topped off rifle, I would do a Tactical reload. In other words install a fresh clip and retain the partial clip and rounds. Just like what I would do with a magazine fed rifle. And besides, if in between volleys of hand grenades, I needed to top off I might just leave the partial clip on the ground. But to say a M-1 clip can not be topped off is still incorrect.

+1...If Chicom grenades were going off all around me, I'd either just finish off the clip or eject it (to be topped off later when less chicom grenades are going off) and put a fresh one in. I don't see how this is any different then what you might do with a magazine (you're not going to be topping one of those off in a firefight either).

To answer the OP's question: Stop asking the question...if they don't want one, let's not change their mind as it leaves more for the rest of us. That said, I love mine and I was very happy that I went the CMP route. It was much easier than I initially thought.

twofourthree73
February 10, 2012, 08:32 PM
Would love to have one, but three factors keep me from spending money on one that could be spent on other gun things.

1. Price: Too much to spend for me for what amounts to a range toy.
2. Weight: Keeps it from being a practical hunting rifle.
3. Ammo/clips: All things being equal, I'd get an M1A first. I prefer .308 over 30-06.

When I get enough money to just throw around cash, I'll have one, but until then I have other rifles that I like more from a practical standpoint.

WALKERs210
February 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
Over priced ? well maybe in the eye of some. I own 2 Garands, one is the Amer Heritage Foundation Korean War Commemorative the second was made in the Ill Spring Field Armory. The 1st is drop dead beautiful and it has never been fired it is ear marked to go to my grandson when he turns 21. The second is just as nice but don't have all the gold plating and deep luster finish on it, it does get shot. I will admit that when I was 18-19 yrs old handling the rifle was a whole lot easier and seems that it has gained around 30 pounds over the years. I think everyone should have at least one.

BCRider
February 10, 2012, 10:03 PM
The limited range of suitable ammo for bullet weight and charge I could live with. The big one that stops me is that they are $900 and up rapidly for one that doesn't look like it was chewed on by rabid gerbils. That's a fair bucket o' cash for the privelage of hearing that "PING!".

Welding Rod
February 10, 2012, 10:07 PM
To answer the OP's question: Stop asking the question...if they don't want one, let's not change their mind as it leaves more for the rest of us. That said, I love mine and I was very happy that I went the CMP route. It was much easier than I initially thought.

Haha. I know what you mean.

However it is just such a cool rifle. As I have become involved with the Garand I have come to learn about some guys stocking piling their allowed 12 per year from CMP. I hate to see that happening. I would really like to see those great historical guns, that were bought at tax payers' expense, getting out in the hands of the shooting public rather than being horded by a group of investors for the purpose of profit down the line.

I bought mine from CMP just last year. Had I known how easy it was to buy, and how cheap they were compared to say a M1A, and what excellent condition guns are still available, I would have been enjoying them for many years already.

Soft shooting, reasonably weight, outstanding iron sights, great look and feel, well proportioned for me (5'8", 170), and perfect reliability (mine anyhow)... I have found them hard not to like. I also love that 2-stage trigger, mine happens to be very crisp.

The clips are easy to load, reusable, and cheap. I frequently drop in an empty clip and top load in 3 or 5 rounds to shoot a group. No need for optics so weight and money is saved there.

Anyhow after not getting one for so many years myself when I could have, I now kick myself for it.

MythBuster
February 10, 2012, 11:23 PM
"2. Weight: Keeps it from being a practical hunting rifle"

I figure if my father could carry one from June 1944 to August 1945 any healthy adult male today should be able to carry one a few days a year hunting.

Bojangles7
February 10, 2012, 11:43 PM
I figure if my father could carry one from June 1944 to August 1945 any healthy adult male today should be able to carry one a few days a year hunting.

Amen. Keep in mind though I have read people on here that will talk about the recoil of an AK being a disadvantage to the AR. Not all men are created equal. ;)

FlyinBryan
February 11, 2012, 12:17 AM
(referring to topping off a garand)
lol!!!!!!

but seriously, if considering an m1 try to go cmp. these two were 595 bux each.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/Picture027.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/Picture018.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/Picture033.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/Picture019-2.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/Picture010.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/Picture016.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/Picture012.jpg

FlyinBryan
February 11, 2012, 12:21 AM
oh ya, it's mil-spec!!!!

P-32
February 11, 2012, 12:23 AM
http://C:\Users\Tim Rieb\Pictures\My Pictures\Green M-1

P-32
February 11, 2012, 12:26 AM
C:\Users\Tim Rieb\Pictures\My Pictures\Green M-1

mshootnit
February 11, 2012, 12:26 AM
I'll tell you what, me and a friend took an old M1 and hit a five gallon bucket at approx 600 yds on the second shot. It dawned on me that you would not want to stand broadside to a man who knows his M1 even if you were 600 yards away.

mshootnit
February 11, 2012, 12:32 AM
As I have become involved with the Garand I have come to learn about some guys stocking piling their allowed 12 per year from CMP. I hate to see that happening. I would really like to see those great historical guns, that were bought at tax payers' expense, getting out in the hands of the shooting public rather than being horded by a group of investors for the purpose of profit down the line.

Or hording just for greed. Absolutely. +1 from me. CMP should be one every 5 years per person. They would still have a hell of a lot of good rifles left, if they weren't just shipping em out the door as fast as they can.

FlyinBryan
February 11, 2012, 12:36 AM
I'll tell you what, me and a friend took an old M1 and hit a five gallon bucket at approx 600 yds on the second shot. It dawned on me that you would not want to stand broadside to a man who knows his M1 even if you were 600 yards away.

you definitely would not want to do that. even farther.

i scope one of mine with an s&k mount and shot a 2" 8-shot group @200yds the first day i had it on there.

i ended up taking the scope and mount off because the irons are so good on the rifle, and it's just the way i feel a garand should be, but ya, tack driving 30-06 dude!

Welding Rod
February 11, 2012, 12:44 AM
Flyin B - Is that first rifle in a new birch stock? Did you refinish it or oil it, or is that the way it came?

Welding Rod
February 11, 2012, 12:55 AM
i scope one of mine with an s&k mount and shot a 2" 8-shot group @200yds the first day i had it on there.

Wow, that was a good one!

I shot my boss's that he bought about 6 months ago. It was refinished (I believe) with a rebarrel, I think it was a Criterion barrel. I can't remember the outfit that sold the rifle but is was not a CMP gun. It was not bedded or sold as a match rifle. I was shooting just sub 1.5 MOA with Horanady Match Garand ammo with it. That was when I decided I should start thinking about getting one.

Mine is more like 2 1/2 MOA, but I need to sand a little wood off the front and back of the new CMP handguards. They are both very tight fore and aft right now which is not at all good for accuracy.

Don357
February 11, 2012, 01:01 AM
Too expensive for me, even by CMP standards. As are most US military rifles, even the worn out ones.

xxxleafybugxxx
February 11, 2012, 01:04 AM
There are many great guns. I don't own all of them... there isn't anything the m1 garand can do that the m1a cant, therefore, my m1a does me just fine

FlyinBryan
February 11, 2012, 01:20 AM
Flyin B - Is that first rifle in a new birch stock? Did you refinish it or oil it, or is that the way it came?
ya, its a birch stock that i refinished. i got 2 with new birch and refinished one and left the other one. i saw one on milsurps forum that a guy refinished really light colored and liked it and figured since it was new birch i would try it. i figured if i didnt like it i would buy a boyds walnut but i liked the way it turned out so im leaving it. (actually i hit it with some 0000 steel wool and it got a little darker since the pics)

Wow, that was a good one!
ya i was pretty happy with it. i epoxy bedded the action on that particular one, and sanded the ends of the forward handgaurd (mine was also a bit tight), and also did "the national match trigger adjustment" that is described (very well with excellent pictures) starting on page 137, appendix-b, in "the m1 garand complete assembly guide" by walt kuleck, and clint mckee (founder of fulton armory)....... it worked out pretty good.

the round in the pic is not a v-max. its a nosler i just put there for scale. it might be a shade over 2" but its pretty close. this was with 47g of h4895 with l.c. once fired and cci large rifle primers.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/flyinbryan_photos/Picture014-1.jpg

P-32
February 11, 2012, 01:37 AM
http://C:\Users\Tim Rieb\Documents\My Albumshttp://C:\Users\Tim Rieb\Documents\My Albums

FIVETWOSEVEN
February 11, 2012, 01:41 AM
They only hold 8 rounds of ammo, not good for zombies. I'll pass on such a horrible rifle and keep my Ruger 10/22 thank you. :D

I can't afford one at the moment and I have other guns on the list that take priority.

Tinpig
February 11, 2012, 02:06 AM
I'm not sure why people are talking about $900 Garands when the CMP is selling Field Grade Springfields and H&Rs for $595. And that is with absolutely unrivaled customer service. Any problems with your 70 year-old rifle and they'll fix it or replace it.

I have two CMP Springfield Garands, a 1942 and a 1952, to shoot now and leave to my two sons later. They are beautiful rifles, easy to reload for, unbeatable fun to shoot, and an important part of American history.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc91/ccanhamjr/Guns/IMG_1886.jpg

Anyone on the fence, don't put it off. Look into the CMP.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm

Tinpig

FlyinBryan
February 11, 2012, 02:10 AM
I'm not sure why people are talking about $900 Garands when the CMP is selling Field Grade Springfields and H&Rs for $595. And that is with absolutely unrivaled customer service. Any problems with your 70 year-old rifle and they'll fix it or replace it.

i know right!!!!??? its crazy.

and ya, my 2 were 595 and they almost look good enough to be in a glass case, but take um out and BOY!!! DO THEY MEAN BUSINESS!!!!

RCArms.com
February 11, 2012, 02:50 AM
The M1 Garand is my absolute favorite rifle. Hard hitting, accurate, and reliable.

What's not to like about that.

Don

Tempest 455
February 11, 2012, 09:36 AM
Walnut in the back is a fully restored SA with a Kreiger barrel. The front is a Winchester from CMP with a replacement birch stock. Looks better after I stripped of the "orange" and used Tung Oil.

https://home.comcast.net/~ericdouthitt/DSCN8010.JPG

Robert
February 11, 2012, 10:46 AM
I'd like to have one for the history of it. Same reason I have a K98 and a No1 MkIII*. But the price, even the CMP price, is a bit out of reach at the moment.

RevGeo
February 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
I don't have one because I've never cared for auto loaders.

Buzzard II
February 11, 2012, 06:50 PM
Stock up on 147 grain ball whenever you have a few spare bucks in your wallet. You will not be sorry. Bob

HavelockLEO
February 11, 2012, 08:51 PM
I have five, two in 7.62 NATO and three in .30-06, bought my first when I was teenager and plan on getting a few more if I can.

usnmars
February 11, 2012, 09:04 PM
I have a couple of them and shoot them on a regular basis. There is nothing like firing an M1 and hearing the iconic ping. One of my best days shooting was when I brought an M1 out and there was an old man teaching his grandson how to shoot a .22. He kept looking over at the M1 on the bench so I offered to let him shoot it. I had to load if for him but he let them go as accurately as he did in 1945. Afterwards he explained that he was a silver star recipient from Okinawa. I handed him a bandolier of ammo and let him shoot all he wanted. That's just cool in my book, meeting a war hero and letting him shoot my rifle. I became a friend with that gentleman and we regularly go shooting now.

As for the people that say an M1 is too expensive, keep your eyes open as there are some deals out there. I answered a classified at selling some "old army rifles" in the local paper 2 weeks ago. The elderly lady brought out a 100% mint national match m1 and only wanted $400 for it. I explained that the rifle was worth more than she was asking and told her what to ask for it and that I couldn't afford it. She said "for your honesty, take the rifle for $400. You can't take money to the grave" So stuff does come up...
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/nattcmars/National%20Match/DSC01013.jpg
even still has the DAS stamp on the gas cylinder
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/nattcmars/National%20Match/DSC00999.jpg

jmstevens2
February 12, 2012, 01:22 AM
As is the American Legion.

charlie echo
February 16, 2012, 07:01 PM
1. How accurate are the CMP Service Grade, $500, M1?
2. Are all CMP M1 receivers forged?
3. Can Garands be modified to reliablely shoot 220 grain commercial ammo? (also curios about reloading 30-06s and 44RMs)
4. If converted to "308" does the M1 retain its reliability?
5. Is $.52 per round average cost, per 1000, the cheapest for -06?
6. What are the economical costs of mount, ring, & scope, for 440 yards?

I will get a CMP M1, sooner or later, but saving cash now as I'm wait listed on a M25 receiver LRB Arms M14SA 18.5" bbl or a SEI Ent 16" bbl...

barnbwt
February 16, 2012, 09:06 PM
I was leaning heavily toward a Garand action when I was shopping for a semi-auto .308 (not too many other choices), but I stumbled across an FNAR.

Hard to find a M1 that guarantees 1MOA out of the box for under 1000$... It's alright, though, I'll probably end up with one eventually.

TCB

RangerHAAF
February 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
Too long and too heavy for me. I'll stick with my AKs and ARs.

Tim the student
February 17, 2012, 12:20 AM
1. How accurate are the CMP Service Grade, $500, M1?
2. Are all CMP M1 receivers forged?
3. Can Garands be modified to reliablely shoot 220 grain commercial ammo? (also curios about reloading 30-06s and 44RMs)
4. If converted to "308" does the M1 retain its reliability?
5. Is $.52 per round average cost, per 1000, the cheapest for -06?
6. What are the economical costs of mount, ring, & scope, for 440 yards?

OK, I am not an expert on all things Garand by any means, but here goes:

1) Not 500, 650 shipped for a service grade. Sorry to vague, but there is no telling how precise it will be. They all should shoot fairly well though. Some will shoot better than others - its just the way it goes. That said, you shouldn't be shooting a 12" group, and I'd bet most SG rifles will shoot better than most shooters can shoot them though. I know for a fact that the CMP customer service is excellent, and I wouldn't be surprised if you would get a replacement rifle if yours shot extremely poorly.

2) They are all USGI.

3) I don't have one, but to my knowledge, yes, 220 will be fine with an adjustable gas plug. It is a non-permanent change, and one that you can do yourself. They cost somewhere around $35 or so.

4) To my knowledge, yes. You may find better info on the CMP forums. What is it you are curious about? Do you have a specific question or two? A lot of guys, including myself, reload for M1s.

5) 200 rounds/$98 at the CMP now, shipping excluded. I'd guess with shipping included it would work out to about 52 or 53 cents/round.

6) Not a lot of folks do that it seems, although some do. Most guys get a replacement rear handguard for that - you can see pics of one in this thread. (http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=30646) I want to say I've seen one for sale like pictured in that thread for about 100. If you go that route, you will need a "scout" scope. Rings and scope are on you. How much do you want to spend? FWIW, you may find that you don't need a scope, depending on what you are doing.

skipbo32
February 17, 2012, 02:48 AM
i love M1s. they reason i dont have one? because i have an M1A. they may not have the romance of the M1, but ammo is cheaper and the gun is basically an improved M1.

CaliCoastie
February 17, 2012, 09:02 AM
well, im not a big fan of semi's, only have a marlin 60 that i havent touched since..... over 10 years ago. a guy i shoot with loves his, maybe some day but first on the list is that newer thing.....m1a. just to make sure i have some bad weapon incase they try and restrict them.
PS- i have a lot of levers though, that count for something?

Ragnar Danneskjold
February 17, 2012, 09:09 AM
OP

Because I have no interest in used guns. I have no interest in guns with wood parts. I have no interest in the 30-06 cartridge. I have no interest in rifles that cannot readily accept optics without modification. I have no interest in semi-auto rifles that are not fed by detachable magazines.

So, no Garand for me.

I'll bet just about every shooter wants a Garand.

I guess I'll be an exception to that. If I was given a Garand for free, I would sell it and buy a ton of 5.56 and PMAGs.

P-32, do you know you're attempting to post images from your local hard drive? That's impossible(unless you're running a server, which I doubt). You need to upload them to a site like Imageshack and use the link from that site.

camar
February 17, 2012, 09:52 PM
I love the three that I have. I went through boot camp, and infantry training with one. We changed over to the M-14 later and they were nothing but problems. The flash supressors would bend with field use and problems with the receiver cracking. The receiver problem was solved, but we still had problems with the flash supressors. When we went the range the armorers would have a box of flash supressors and would guage ours before we fired and most needed changed.
In 1967 we changed over to the M-16 and this is the rifle I went to Vietnam with.
I would use the M-1 as my main battle rifle any day over the other two. The 8rd. clip is a non issue as far as I am concerned. There were no complaints with it from WW2 on with it. The 30-06 is a much better round than the 5.56mm. any day.

Tempest 455
February 17, 2012, 10:08 PM
There was a kid (18-21 years) at the range a few months ago w/ a AR-15 that had all the bells and whistles. Eotech sight, magnifier, full rail etc. (not bashing, I have one just like it) and was explaining how cool it was to his Dad who was maybe mid 50's.

I pulled out my 1943 Winchester Garand and fired 8 rounds at a target 100 yards away. They were shooting at 50. When I finished, his Dad said real loud so his son was sure to hear it, "now that's how a rifle should sound"! :)

All of them have a place, just don't understand how someone can't appreciate a Garand?

springer99
February 17, 2012, 10:12 PM
The M-1 is THE classic US battle rifle and this (IMHO) didn't change with the introduction of the M14(M1A). I trained with the M-1 and then served with the M14. Seems to me that the Army just tried to combine the M-1 and BAR, which didn't fare too well. The M14 just isn't heavy enough to support the recoil and aimed fire in auto like the BAR was; even with the lesser 7.62NATO round.

I don't want to belittle the the M1A though, it's a great rifle too, but really isn't much different from the M-1 except in magazine capacity. Accuracy between them is a toss up. Gotta luv the PING of the M-1 though.!!

HKGuns
February 17, 2012, 10:21 PM
I explained that the rifle was worth more than she was asking and told her what to ask for it and that I couldn't afford it. She said "for your honesty, take the rifle for $400.

Much respect for your honesty and integrity. Most folks would have tried to get it for less.

HILLBILLY-06
February 17, 2012, 11:32 PM
Not true. $30 spent on an adjustable gas plug + 1 screwdriver + One trip to the range = Shooting any .30-06 ammo you want in your Garand.

I asked the older Garand guys in my club about that gas plug, and even a ported one that I read about, but they all told me they would be afraid to try it. Now granted, these guys been doing the same thing for so long, they just might not be inclined to change, BUT... I would like to know more about these plugs, and how many people on here know about them and have been using them, long enough to say with certainty, that it's O.K. to shoot any on the shelf 30-06 ammo without doing your rifle or parts of your rifle in.
I too grow weak in the wallet trying to buy up good AMA90, or HXP greek, and still feel skiddish about using some of it, after reading about other brands of surplus ammo blowing up on somebody at the range. It's almost darned if you do, and darned if you don't. Please, elaborate on the "GAS PLUG" so I can get some feel for it's success...

HILLBILLY-06
February 17, 2012, 11:41 PM
My DCM was $167.oo delivered. I almost forgot I had ordered the thing because it took so long.

Yeah, and what year was that? They havent been $167.00 in a long time, of course you did say (DCM) which gives some clue, as it is now the CMP, and there a lot more $$$ than that now. I know one other guy that made that similar statement at our local range, he baught his in 1969, when he got back from Vietnam. His is a Tanker Garand, and still a good shooter to this day.
Just curious about what year you may have gotten yours?

springer99
February 18, 2012, 12:07 AM
"Not true. $30 spent on an adjustable gas plug + 1 screwdriver + One trip to the range = Shooting any .30-06 ammo you want in your Garand.

I asked the older Garand guys in my club about that gas plug, and even a ported one that I read about, but they all told me they would be afraid to try it. Now granted, these guys been doing the same thing for so long, they just might not be inclined to change, BUT... I would like to know more about these plugs, and how many people on here know about them and have been using them, long enough to say with certainty, that it's O.K. to shoot any on the shelf 30-06 ammo without doing your rifle or parts of your rifle in.
I too grow weak in the wallet trying to buy up good AMA90, or HXP greek, and still feel skiddish about using some of it, after reading about other brands of surplus ammo blowing up on somebody at the range. It's almost darned if you do, and darned if you don't. Please, elaborate on the "GAS PLUG" so I can get some feel for it's success... "

I know a few that have played with gas plugs, and they do work, but honestly the whole idea seems like a solution in search of a problem to me. What is it about a 150gr bullet traveling at 2750-2800 fps that doesn't work for most purposes.?

That's the last thing that would keep me from owning and shooting M1's. HXP ball ammo(at around .57/rds) is about as cheap as you can get today, without reloading, and not bad ammo to boot. Even reloading, you're not likely to get much below $.40 a round unless you use cast bullets today

dmazur
February 18, 2012, 12:51 AM
...to say with certainty, that it's O.K. to shoot any on the shelf 30-06 ammo without doing your rifle or parts of your rifle in.

I believe you might be able to get some information from either McCann Industries or Schuster, the two common suppliers of adjustable gas plugs. (Which are, actually, gas cylinder lock screws.)

They both do the same job, which is to provide pressure relief in the form of some kind of bleed orifice, where the original Garand design had no such relief.

Slower powders tend to have a higher pressure when the bullet has passed the port than faster powders, and this pressure at the port is what can damage operating rods.

AFAIK, you use both adjustable gas plugs similarly - start with the plug adjusted wide open (or, for the McCann, the largest orifice screw) and then work smaller until you get a reliable action cycle. Testing should include "last round" to make sure the bolt locks back. At that point, stop. Further reduction in orifice size just pounds the receiver and doesn't accomplish anything useful.

I believe that either adjustable gas plug should work with most commercial .30-06 ammo in the 150-180 gr range. I have heard that "light magnum" or the equivalent is not safe.

I am guessing on this last comment, but I believe that, if you get nice positive action cycles with the largest orifice setting, you're using ammo with far too slow a powder, or too heavy a bullet, or both. You should have to adjust to the proper function, starting with "not really driving the bolt back far enough to chamber a new round".

I have read of people making their own orifice screws (for the McCann pattern) in order to get larger orifices, but I have no idea if the manufacturer sanctions this.

One thing a lot of shooters appear to misunderstand is the need to adjust the plug every time they change ammo. Just because you install one doesn't somehow make the plug self-adjusting...

So, adjustable gas plugs let the Garand handle a wider range of ammo than the original military ammo it was designed for. But they aren't a miracle solution.

Sorry if this isn't a very definite answer. I believe it is a starting point for further research, if you want to know what you can do with adjustable gas plugs.

wlewisiii
February 18, 2012, 12:58 AM
Too fussy about ammo for a hunting rifle.

Nice enough rifle, really, and it was a decent design for it's day but reality blew past it in 1944 with the StG44 and hasn't looked back. Perhaps if the original .276 loading had survived MacArthur's penny pinching and they had gotten rid of the en-bloc clip, things might have been different. Now it's just another antique that anyone who wants to can own, no different from many other totally obsolete C&R military arms.

Ignition Override
February 18, 2012, 01:06 AM
Compared to typical modern rifles, maybe it seems too heavy for limited walks to a hunting or plinking spot.

Somehow our young troops in WW2 and Korea were able to deal with the Garand, and they must have hiked much more than ten miles on many days, hauling backpacks (etc.) while They sometimes were being hunted.

If we had no AR-15s, just imagine the price for a CMP Garand. They would be much higher than M-1 list prices at gun shows, which often consist of CMP rifles with an extra $200 or more tacked on.
The bore in my Service Grade rifle from the CMP is so bright that it appears to be chrome-lined.

FlyinBryan
February 18, 2012, 01:28 AM
Nice enough rifle, really, and it was a decent design for it's day but reality blew past it in 1944 with the StG44 and hasn't looked back.

actually many folks look back all the time.

some with appreciation.

NoirFan
February 18, 2012, 04:17 AM
Why not the Garand? It's heavy. It balances like a cinder block on a fishing pole. For all that weight you only get eight shots. Those eight shots are expensive. It has an annoying "greatest generation" mythology attached to it.

On the other hand it does look cool. But I prefer the shortened m14-type rifles for my old-school combat rifle fix.

Tempest 455
February 18, 2012, 09:19 AM

I too grow weak in the wallet trying to buy up good AMA90, or HXP greek, and still feel skiddish about using some of it, after reading about other brands of surplus ammo blowing up on somebody at the range. It's almost darned if you do, and darned if you don't. Please, elaborate on the "GAS PLUG" so I can get some feel for it's success...

I have the Schuster adjustable plug in my match grade Garand. Does just as it designed. Once set for a specific ammo, you have to stick with that ammo. I use 150g off the shelf ammo in that rifle.

conhntr
February 18, 2012, 09:32 AM
Ive had great luck weith cmp hxp surplus. It comes to 52c per round shipped and works great. Out of each 200round lot (usually they put around 205 in) i might have 1-2 rounds that are dented or something i toss.

wombat13
February 18, 2012, 11:06 AM

I have a Schuster adjustable gas plug that I bought for $35 (iirc) from Midway USA. You start by setting the plug such that all the gas vents. After each shot you close the vent a little until your rifle cycles. You then tighten the locking screw and you are all set. This method means that you never have too much pressure on the op rod.

You can't beat surplus HXP from CMP for price and it is good quality. I use the adjustable gas plug so I can shoot modern hunting ammo in my Garand.

wombat13
February 18, 2012, 11:08 AM
"Not true. $30 spent on an adjustable gas plug + 1 screwdriver + One trip to the range = Shooting any .30-06 ammo you want in your Garand.

I too grow weak in the wallet trying to buy up good AMA90, or HXP greek, and still feel skiddish about using some of it, after reading about other brands of surplus ammo blowing up on somebody at the range. It's almost darned if you do, and darned if you don't. Please, elaborate on the "GAS PLUG" so I can get some feel for it's success... "

I know a few that have played with gas plugs, and they do work, but honestly the whole idea seems like a solution in search of a problem to me. What is it about a 150gr bullet traveling at 2750-2800 fps that doesn't work for most purposes.?

That's the last thing that would keep me from owning and shooting M1's. HXP ball ammo(at around .57/rds) is about as cheap as you can get today, without reloading, and not bad ammo to boot. Even reloading, you're not likely to get much below $.40 a round unless you use cast bullets today
You should not use FMJ for hunting. The adjustable plug allowed me to use modern hunting ammo

Risky buisness
February 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
"It has an annoying "greatest generation" mythology attached to it."

Pardon me for saying, my Dad, one of those annoying fellows you so eagerly denigrate came back from WW2 shot to hell, an uncle ,whom I did not get to meet didn't come back at all. If you do not like the M1, fine dont own one, but piease have the respect not to catogrize some one who fought for your right to have the right, to dislike something.

FlyinBryan
February 18, 2012, 07:02 PM
It's heavy. It balances like a cinder block on a fishing pole.
if its too heavy you shouldnt get one. to be honest now that i think about it i wouldnt suggest it as an only rifle for petite girls or elderly women.

For all that weight you only get eight shots.
eight is enough.

AK103K
February 18, 2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah, and what year was that? They havent been $167.00 in a long time, of course you did say (DCM) which gives some clue, as it is now the CMP, and there a lot more $$$ than that now.My wife and I each got one from the DCM in 1985 for $167ea. Back then, if you shot in DCM matches, they provided free ammo too.

The first center fire rifle I ever shot was an M1. Its really what I learned to actually "shoot" a rifle on. Have a lot of rounds down range through them too. These days, Im down to just one, an H&R in 7.62. Dont shoot it much anymore, but you have at least one around. :) Everyone should own one if for nothing more than just the experience.

While they are good rifles, they are not perfect. The M14's tried addressing some of the shortcomings, and were themselves even shorter lived as a service rifle.

If youre target shooting, eight rounds might be enough, and back when the other guys were using five shot bolt guns, they were the schnitz, but these days, for anything serious, eight aint enough. To make matters worse, your gun is also chucking those somewhat precious, and not readily replaced clips all over the place.

The weight issue is a personal problem. If youre not in enough shape to physically hump and shoot an M1, you have other issues besides the gun.

Ammo is an issue, and you do need to pay attention to what youre doing/using. This especially true when reloading comes into it. Its also not just a powder and bullet weight thing. You need to pay close attention to case prep as well. This is even more of an issue if you use military brass.

How you load the rifle can also be a issue, especially when it comes to loading single rounds. These rifles are meant to be fed using a clip, dropping a single round in the chamber and letting the bolt fly isnt what you want to be doing. Seating the round in the chamber and easing the bolt down is better, using a SLED is the better way to go.

Onmilo
February 18, 2012, 08:57 PM
I own both the Schuster and McCann gas lock screws.
The Schuster comes pre set in the open position, you turn the screw in until you get reliable function with the ammo selected then lock the screw in place with a screw lock that is included.
This set up is actually a modified Poppet valve with a screw to adjust the amount of an open setting to allow the proper amount of gas pressure to vent

As stated previously in this thread, the Schuster is best suited to setting the gas screw for one selected load, lock the screw, and leave it alone.
I own several of these gas lock screws and engrave 1-2-3 on the screw face to identify what load they are set for, in my case W-W 150 Powerpoint, Winchester 165 Supreme, and Winchester 180 grain Powerpoint ammo.

The McCann is a bit different in that it uses four included center screws that are ported with different diameter through holes to vent gas.
You start with the most open screw and keep selecting screws until you find the one that allows reliable function.
The McCann allows the shooter to select a different center screw for a different load and once it is determined which screw works with what load, the screws should be color coded with a baking lacquer or hi temperature paint and a record kept to identify what load goes with which screw.
You don't have to remove the gas lock screw from the gas lock/gas cylinder assembly to replace the center screw.

Do they both do what the manufacturers state?
Yes, if the shooter takes the time to properly adjust the screw to the chosen load.

The downsides,
The Schuster is best employed with just one load once adjusted as they are difficult to adjust to different loads without a lot of shooting adjustment with expensive hunting ammo, so if you want to shoot multiple types of loads it is best you buy several gas lock screw assemblies.
This can get expensive for the less well heeled.
Because it operates on a semi open valve assembly, it can also foul out and start causing function issues with heavy use or poor maintenance.
It is best to clean the gas screw with solvent and a light brush after every use, then blow it dry with compressed air.
DO Not remove the lock screw or the adjuster screw when cleaning, leave them alone.

The McCann makes it easier to fire multiple loads with one lock screw assembly using the different center screws, the downside?
It is real easy to lose the additional screws.
Ask me how I know!
These center screws will also foul out with heavy use or poor maintenance and it is best to clean the port of the center screw using an undersize wire guage drill as a port reamer after every shooting session or about every 40 rounds when shooting.
I use #80 and #78 drills to carefully clean the ports on the center screws. HTH

USSR
February 18, 2012, 09:06 PM
Some of you guys are making more of an issue of ammo suitable for a Garand than it really is. IMR4895 and bullets 180gr or less gives you quite a bit of leeway without having to go with an adjustable gas plug.

Don

2zulu1
February 18, 2012, 09:47 PM
I have one of the old Springfield Armory National Match Garands that was built back in the '50s, it's a pleasure to shoot, even in extreme desert temperatures. On a day when the ambient temperature was 115F, the Garand had been sitting in direct sunlight for over an hour, no shade, and I appreciated the wood stock plus it was soft shooting.

On another occasion I had a gig in the desert for a property owner, chose the Garand over an M4 due to the distances involved. Yeah it was heavier to carry, but so is water.

If an old guy can carry the Garand hiking in the desert for hours, then its weight is really a moot issue IMO given its long range capabilities.

Handload bullets like 150/165 SSTs and the Garand is a very effective platform at extended distances.

amprecon
February 19, 2012, 12:45 AM
I am a pragmatic person and not so much a collector. My weapons fill a niche, as tools do.

My reasons for not having Garands anymore are that thay are large and heavy rifles, comparatively speaking, and scoping it is difficult if not impossible to do correctly. Then it makes a large and heavy rifle even larger and heavier.

It is in .30-06, not that I don't like the caliber, there's not so much mil-surp laying around anymore and not so cheap either. To get the most out of a caliber such as .30-06 I believe it should be scoped, the cartridge is so much more capable than we can use with the naked eye and iron sights.

Now if the Garand was accepted as originally developed and intended, in .276 Pedersen, using 10-round en-bloc clips and almost 30% smaller overall.....well, then I would probably have a different opinion of the venerable M1 Garand.

NoirFan
February 19, 2012, 03:23 AM
Pardon me for saying, my Dad, one of those annoying fellows you so eagerly denigrate came back from WW2 shot to hell, an uncle ,whom I did not get to meet didn't come back at all. If you do not like the M1, fine dont own one, but piease have the respect not to catogrize some one who fought for your right to have the right, to dislike something.

With respect to the sacrifices of your father and uncle, it's the constant sepia-toned patriotic propaganda and myth making about WWII that I find annoying. The USA and the American people joined that war for all kinds of reasons, noble and ignoble, by choice or involuntarily. Just like any other generation during any other war. I wish we had a more realistic public discourse of that generation other than "well they were all heroes and we saved the day, the end"

Anyway there are a lot of WWII weapons I find interesting. Wouldn't mind owning an original M1 carbine, T34 tank, or Japanese officer's sword. But no thanks to the Garand.

briansmithwins
February 19, 2012, 09:16 AM
It's a good thing the M1 Garand was such a awesome rifle, because the weapons that should have been the base of fire weapons (BAR and M1919) were WWI anachronisms.

There is no reason the US couldn't have had a good GPMG in WWII instead of filling that role with a weapon that was too light for sustained fire (BAR) and a closed bolt adaptation of a WWI water cooled HMG (M1919).

BSW

Tempest 455
February 19, 2012, 09:22 AM
How you load the rifle can also be a issue, especially when it comes to loading single rounds. These rifles are meant to be fed using a clip, dropping a single round in the chamber and letting the bolt fly isnt what you want to be doing. Seating the round in the chamber and easing the bolt down is better, using a SLED is the better way to go.

True but if done right, single loading is OK. I almost exclusively single load, but I feed the round, let the bolt close 1/2 way before letting it close. Never had a single slame fire.

HKGuns
February 19, 2012, 09:36 AM
It has an annoying "greatest generation" mythology attached to it.

Annoying? Mythology?

Unbelievable, simply unbelievable someone would actually post that statement.

Art Eatman
February 19, 2012, 09:56 AM
Enough of snipers sniping at each other. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Why Not a M1 Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!