Swamp people rifle

PDA

shiftyer1
February 10, 2012, 12:50 AM
I'm watching the season premier and saw a rifle that looks like a 10/22 but it is lever action? Is anyone familiar with a rifle that fits this description. I'm fairly sure it would be 22lr or 22mag.

If you enjoyed reading about "Swamp people rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jwsracin
February 10, 2012, 12:53 AM
i saw the samething but i was thinking the action looked more like a marlin, but it looks nothing like a model 39 and not sure there was another lever 22 made by marlin? so i'm stumped too

shiftyer1
February 10, 2012, 12:55 AM
I just hit rewind and saw the butt plate, i'm thinking it's ruger

ewlyon
February 10, 2012, 01:05 AM
i believe ruger sold a lever action rimfire which looked like the 10/22 called the model 96, so that may have been it

shiftyer1
February 10, 2012, 01:15 AM
Yes sir it's looks like thats the one, comes in 17 or 22mag. I may have to look for one, never seen it before

toivo
February 10, 2012, 01:52 AM
Looks like it was discontinued in 2009. There should still be some floating around, maybe even NIB.

Here's a nice one in .22LR for not much dough:

http://www.sarcoinc.com/d127.html

The magnums seem to kind of pricey, though: upwards of $600.

Certaindeaf
February 10, 2012, 02:05 AM
How 'bout that new girl previewed for next episode swimming in the creek with a stainless revolver in her right hand?
Yea, that was a Ruger lever.

T.R.
February 10, 2012, 08:14 AM
This is my 96 Ruger in 44 MAG.

TR

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/Ruger_96.jpg

BCCL
February 10, 2012, 08:30 AM
Yep. Ruger 96/22

hardluk1
February 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
Also you have to watch out for the editing. They will show a lever then a bolt rifle a SS rifle and then rust bucket all in the same 3 to 5 seconds worth of shooting a gator all do to editing screw ups.

Certaindeaf
February 10, 2012, 12:36 PM
^
Very true. That kinda bothers me.

TexasPatriot.308
February 10, 2012, 12:40 PM
on the last episode, if you pay attention, the narrarator says "he dispatches the gator with his Savage rifle in .17hmr." so apparently soon sponsors will be making sure their rifles, scopes etc. get some video time, you know, like focusing on the brand. it's all about money.

Certaindeaf
February 10, 2012, 12:43 PM
Also, didn't that "sniper" get left in a tree without a boat?

Certaindeaf
February 10, 2012, 12:47 PM
on the last episode, if you pay attention, the narrarator says "he dispatches the gator with his Savage rifle in .17hmr." so apparently soon sponsors will be making sure their rifles, scopes etc. get some video time, you know, like focusing on the brand. it's all about money.
Is that the indians? That's a nice big 'ol scope on that rifle for some point blank shooting. I'd probably keep that stowed half well and use like a nylon 66 for the close work. Anyway.

Certaindeaf
February 10, 2012, 12:50 PM
I like those two brothers. They should have their own show.

TexasPatriot.308
February 10, 2012, 01:48 PM
yeah, a few days with Mitch and Glenn could be interesting. I know sometimes they take some long shots at gators that are on the surface, but dont quite understand a scope for almost point blank shooting when you got such a small kill area. seems like laser grips on a pistol would be the way to go.

Ghost Tracker
February 10, 2012, 02:01 PM
IMHO, lasers might be less than effective in bright daylight, with splashing water flying everywhere, against a trashing, rough, deeped-scaled target.

Certaindeaf
February 10, 2012, 02:08 PM
These guys. I don't think they know what a scope is.

http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Picture-32-490x310.png?ggnoads

henschman
February 10, 2012, 02:18 PM
My friend had one of those for a while, in .17 HMR. It was a critter killin machine.

husker
February 10, 2012, 02:49 PM
Its a tree shakgur....CHEEEEEEEEEEWT IT LIZABET CHEEEEEEEEEEWT IT!

shiftyer1
February 12, 2012, 12:55 AM
This thread intoduced me to a line of ruger lever guns I was unaware of. I only own a 10/22 but i'm very happy with my ruger revolvers. I really enjoy lever guns.....dang it!!! Now I gotta search for another rifle:(

madwell
February 12, 2012, 03:12 AM
I have a Ruger 96/17 that I bought new in 2003. It's a fun gun real light good for stomping around the woods or to keep behind the seat of a truck.

jnoble87
February 12, 2012, 11:38 AM

Oh man, I just laughed my butt off at this!

Certaindeaf
February 12, 2012, 01:16 PM
lol.

LIIIDAABET! Ayeeyeeyeeeyeei!

chute2thrill
March 3, 2012, 01:58 AM
Sometimes it makes me wonder what guns some of these people are using. Seems they have at least 3 guns on the boat at a time.. and for most of them 1 of those guns seems to be very poorly taken care of. I honestly dont understand letting any gun get that rusty, even if it is a .22.

Aiko492
March 3, 2012, 10:38 AM
Classic

dprice3844444
March 3, 2012, 10:48 AM

she can only cheeeeeeeeeeeeew it if her hubby lends her the teef.

precisionrifle14
March 3, 2012, 10:55 AM
Also, didn't that "sniper" get left in a tree without a boat?
They had seen a huge gator, so he built himself a blind and he waited until it came up to kill it.

Certaindeaf
March 3, 2012, 12:40 PM
^
Yea but then it would sink and be lost. Maybe I missed something..

skidooman603
March 3, 2012, 01:59 PM
It was a platform kind of deal they left the sniper guy on. As far as lizabeth..think she would make a grease spot outta most guys...;) Troy is a tough old bugger too..I don't imagine any of these folks going home and getting out the Butch's bore shine and Tetra grease.

303tom
March 3, 2012, 02:56 PM
I would bet it is a Marlin Model 57M .22 mag..............

marine 97-03
March 3, 2012, 08:21 PM
The 17hmr that RJ. &jay. Paul use is a savage

TexasPatriot.308
March 3, 2012, 08:55 PM
you got to remember on these "reality shows" you know there is a boat with a camera crew close by, a support crew for them, a catering crew back at camp cause these prodduction crews are gonna eat well. as far as the different rifles, you got to consider all the editing they do of all the footage they shoot.

CSA 357
March 3, 2012, 09:53 PM
lizabeth shoots a marlin 22 mag, one of the guys has a browning 22 auto thats pure rust!

DM~
March 3, 2012, 10:18 PM
one of the guys has a browning 22 auto thats pure rust!

It looks like a chinese copy to me...

DM

TexasPatriot.308
March 3, 2012, 10:36 PM
I worked offshore for over 20 years with men from this part of the country, we worked 7 days, 7 days off. on their days off, some shrimped, commericial fished or whatever. they were and am sure are some of the best people I ever met and worked with. they make a living off of what Lousiana gives em. I admire these people, now reality shows have found them. the majority of these people are devout Catholic and the love they have for their religion, state, country is one to be admired. I am fortunate I got to work with these people.

TenDriver
March 4, 2012, 01:11 AM
I worked offshore for over 20 years with men from this part of the country, we worked 7 days, 7 days off. on their days off, some shrimped, commericial fished or whatever. they were and am sure are some of the best people I ever met and worked with. they make a living off of what Lousiana gives em. I admire these people, now reality shows have found them. the majority of these people are devout Catholic and the love they have for their religion, state, country is one to be admired. I am fortunate I got to work with these people.
+1 on that. I watch the show when I have the chance. Not for the guns or the gators, but for the accents and the type of folks who'll help when you need it and not ask for anything in return.

kynwatch
March 4, 2012, 01:40 AM
Went home with a buddy from AIT at Ft. Sam Houston to BFE Louisiana. Lived in the middle of no where and greatest people I've ever met. I was treated like family from the moment we arrived. They were dirt poor and tougher than my combat boots! I've stopped by twice in the the past 20 years and still get the same treatment. A lot of people could learn a lot from them. Family, God, Country, and having fun. Not always in that order. Also I was glad I didn't have a PT test or weigh in when we got back. I think we ate for 4 days straight. YUMMY!!!

marine 97-03
March 4, 2012, 05:34 AM
Joe and Tommy have an old as piss pump .22 mag..the stock is cracked its taped up and rusty as hell. But its a PUMP not an auto....wonder what it is.I've tried to pause it and zoom but its rusted on the side to

Dr.Rob
March 4, 2012, 02:04 PM
I've seen a LOT of scary rusted up guns on that show. How they manage to "hit a quarter sized kill zone" when the gators are thrashing around in a rocking boat sometimes standing on other gators is pretty impressive.

I suspect the rusty old Browning is pretty clean inside, but you never know. All of those folks are tougher than woodpecker lips.

Last episode I saw one guy had to go out alone and looked to me like he used a Marlin 336 centerfire. He explained his look through scope mount and there was a good close up shot of the action. My guess is that when you're out there alone with a 10 footer you'd want the hyrdostatic shock of a centerfire rifle. Or maybe that's just what he had bullets for that day.

I've seen several of the hunters take long shots at a beached gator. Some call it hunting, others call it gator 'fishing'.

If you enjoyed reading about "Swamp people rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!