firing pin problem marlin 783 22 mag

PDA

Bull Nutria
February 10, 2012, 11:56 AM
I have a 783 bolt action that makes light hits on Win 22mag ammo. dents rim but no ignition. sometimes the second hit will ignite. today tried 2 shells no ignitionafter 3 hits!! it shoots CCI maxi mag and Rem ammo perfectly. Later i tried the dented ammo in a friends ruger 7722 and they shot perfectly.

Can i get a stronger firing pin spring or is there another remedy for this problem other than not buying Win 22mag ammo??

Bull

If you enjoyed reading about "firing pin problem marlin 783 22 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
john323
February 10, 2012, 04:49 PM
Rim fire weapons are very temperamental when it comes to ammo. The easiest solution is to not shoot Winchester ammo.

NCsmitty
February 10, 2012, 10:44 PM
There should be no reason not to shoot all 22 Mag ammo properly. Have you done a lot of dry firing with it? Have you cleaned the bolt inside, and inspected the firing pin for wear at the point of contact with the rim?

Some parts are available at Numrich Arms if you think that you need them.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=4080

NCsmitty

irishpete
February 14, 2012, 02:43 PM
Am having problem with a Ruger 10/22 firing pin as it seems to be misfiring quite often. It does seem to make a dent in the rim but abviiously not enough. Can this be corrected if so how or do I need to replace the pin ??

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but if somebody could steer me the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thx, irishpete

rcmodel
February 14, 2012, 03:52 PM
Have you cleaned it thourghly, to include the bolt face and rear of the barrel?

Have you cleaned the chamber wioth a bronze bore brush & solvent?

Have you checked the two Allen-Head clamp screws that hold the barrel on tight to the receiver?

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "firing pin problem marlin 783 22 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!