Best .22 1911? What would u buy?

PDA

Ishoot1st
February 10, 2012, 10:48 PM
There are so many .22 1911's on the market now, its hard to know whats what. Originally i wanted a colt/umerex, because, well its a colt 1911 that everyone is making replicas of. But it seamed to get mixed reviews. The gsg 1911 seems to get the best over-all reviews, but still a few horror stories. Now i know some people are gonna say get a kimber custom .22, but i think a .22 plinker should be just that...a plinker, nothing that breaks the bank to put holes in paper. Any advise or experience would be greatly appreciated!

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .22 1911? What would u buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
f4t9r
February 10, 2012, 10:58 PM
gsg 1911 - 22 is a good choice.
with CCI ammo mine has been really good

Taroman
February 10, 2012, 11:09 PM
When they first came out, I grabbed a GSG. Wanted a 22 understudy to my 1911R1 Remington. Function was OK, needed HV ammo. I use auto-match in my Buckmark target gun and wanted to do the same. Not perfect function, maybe 95%. takedown is odd, but not a big deal. Accuracy is OK, not target grade, however.
Several parts were substandard, bushing, slide stop and mag followers, IIRC. ATI was good on replacing them without any problem.
The gun also has all the required "bling" add ons -ambi safety, skeleton hammer, etc. tried swapping some of these for standard 1911 parts as is alleged to be possible. Function got even worse - lots of fitting needed. Something I didn't want to get into. So the GSG got flogged off.
Then the Umarex came along. Much closer to what I wanted right out of the box. Did swap for walnut grip panels to match my other gun, however. Function is 100% so far with Auto Match. Mags seem flimsy compared to the cast GSG ones, but run fine. Takedown is more 1911-like than the GSG, given that both of these have fixed barrels. Accuracy is similar to the GSG, maybe a bit better. Time will tell on that.
Bottom line: UMAREX just feels more 1911 like in my hand and is a worthy sub to my 45 gun.

...my $0.03, YMMV

http://www.hverovhe.com/umarex.jpg

KenW.
February 10, 2012, 11:19 PM
1911s are .45ACP single-stack, single action, with grip and thumb safeties. All similar others are 1911 "style".

It disturbs me to see an American classic from who is perhaps the foremost American gun designed be so bast******d.

There is a place for them, but they're NOT 1911s. They simply do not match the military criteria for the 1911 pattern.

Ishoot1st
February 10, 2012, 11:56 PM
Wow...thats opinionated. But to each his own. I think that mr. Browning gave us an outstanding pistol design that spwaned most modern semi-auto pistols today. Not that his designed needed to be changed, but could be the basis for many diverse designs that can fill any nitch we may have for a pistol today. Of coarse no one can deny that the best example of a 1911 is a .45acp single stack full sive 1911! But to deny the practicality of a compact 1911 in 9mm, or a full size 1911 in .22lr for low cost practice, etc...is a little ignorant. I think that they pay homage to Mr. Browning, by calling them 1911's...But just my $ .02

bigfatdave
February 11, 2012, 12:09 AM
KenW., I think you're over-reacting a bit ... these are obviously trainers for the real thing, nobody is claiming they're a .mil-issue 1911

If you really want to be pedantic, unless it lacks the updates of 1918 or so, it is a 1911a1, not a "1911".

KenW., are my compact framed bushingless bull barrel 1911-pattern guns "1911s"?
They are, after all; .45acp, single-stack, thumb-safety-having, grip-interlocked, linked-barrel, fixed-sight, no-mag-interlock, no-FP-safety guns.

===

Anyone know of a complete gun (or conversion) that is (or will run on) an officer's size frame?

Fishslayer
February 11, 2012, 02:29 AM
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn215/THE_Fishslayer/He%20Mad/francis.jpg

Route666
February 11, 2012, 02:42 AM
I shot 430 in Sports-Pistol today with my 6-year old Kimber Rimfire .22. This is an aluminium frame and slide, dedicated .22. It can't be converted to a centrefire, nor can the slide / barrel be used on a centrefire frame. This has to do with no ejector on the frame, and the slide has no space for one.

All shots were in the black (about 6" diametre) at 25m, slow-fire single-handed, all but one rapid fire in the black, two-handed.

Seems like a great little training tool. It is light, functions externally exactly like a "real" 1911 except the slide doesn't lock back on an empty mag (to save the notch in the aluminium slide - plus the mags are easier to make that way...) It is fine to dry-fire, because of the inertia firing-pin. It is great for random mag loads and dry-firing on empty when you don't know it is coming. It shows you a lot.

TennJed
February 11, 2012, 03:02 AM
I have posted this before but I will repost due to topic

I recently got one of the Uramex/Colt/Walther 1911 .22lrs. I got the government model for $389 OTD. Seems well made. Fit and finish is good. I bought it for a fun range plinker. I wanted a 22lr in the 1911 format and I chose this over the others because (Chiappa and clones had bad reviews, cheaply made, and remington was too small and expensive.)

Some of the advantages (IMHO) over the GSG/Sig
12 round mag
no magazine disconnect
fixed barrel
no allen wrench needed for takedown (takedown very easy)

If I understand the company relationships on this one it is made by Walther for Colt and imported by Umarex. (at least that is what it says on the gun).

I took it out for the first time yesterday (along with a new Ruger Mark III i got my son for Christmas) and I must say I am impressed. Accuracy is good. It shoots slightly low (not much), but not too bad for a fun plinker

50 rounds CCI bulk--no issues
50 rounds Remington Subsonic -- no issues
50 rounds Federal bulk (walmart value pack) no issues
100 rounds of Winchester Superx -- no issues
200+ rounds Federal Lightening-- 7 failures to feed, 1 stovepipe. (note I also shot a new Ruger Mark III and had issues with the Federal Lightening with it also)

Overall I am happy with the purchase. It is not a Colt Ace but it is cheaper than the Ruger Mark III that I recently bought and it was just as reliable and was close in accuracy to it.

I have to believe the issues with the Federal Lightening is ammo related. I have had trouble with it in every 22 auto I have shot it out of. Unfortuately I bought a bunch of it while it was on sale (4000 rds) so I guess I need to shoot it up quick to get rid of it

Here are some pics. I replaced the factory rubber grips with some wood ones

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6478280949_cb6d3e94ab_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6478281629_37a700c417_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7005/6478282329_e3bfd1fdb2_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6478282789_ba91000dfa_z.jpg

TennJed
February 11, 2012, 03:05 AM
Just another update. I shot a few more rounds today and I am really liking this gun. Shot a total of 500+ rounds and had 2 failure to feed and 2 stovepipes. All of these were with the Federal Lightening rounds.

Approx 100 CCI Blazer bulk -- no problems
Approx 50 rounds Winchester Super X -- no problems
Approx 50 rounds Remington subsonic bulk -- no problems
Approx 25 rounds of Federal Bulk -- no problems
Approx 300 rounds of Federal lightening -- 2 FTF and 2 stovepipes

Accuracy was very good today. I was shooting off a picnic table top and shooting at small stump protruding out of a pond at roughly 50 feet. (stick was approx 12" high and 4 inches wide) So it was no bullseye paper punch, but i was impressed.

TennJed
February 11, 2012, 03:10 AM
3rd and 4th range trips. About 300 rounds each time of blazer bulk boxes no issues of any kind. Ran flawlessly. I tried to make it jam (1 handed limp wrist, rapid fire) and it ran without a hitch. Accuracy is good, I can shoot it as well as I do my Ruger mkiii.

Finish still looks new. I did coat it with Johnson's paste wax as I do all my blued and "black" guns

Alteredd Ego
February 11, 2012, 11:03 AM
Probably not what you are looking to do, but I still like the idea of owning a true .45acp 1911 and a .22lr conversion kit. It gives you the best of both worlds IMHO. My conversion kit works flawlessly with all my 1911s.

Ishoot1st
February 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the range report and reviews. I will be going with my original idea to buy a colt 1911 replica from what is sorta still colt..../umerex/walther. Just curious, what did that kimber .22 set you back route666? They are a pretty sexy .22, but i could never spend that much on a .22.

Has anyone seen the new ppsh .22 replica? Would go really nice with the 1911, for a ww2 gettup. Can't wait till someone makes a tommy gun .22 replica!

ApacheCoTodd
February 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
"What would u buy?"

Already done it to get one of my childhood favorites...
Eats everything and no issues with reliability for me.
It goes well with my Springfield M-2, now, if I could just convert one of my Garands as well.

kb58
February 11, 2012, 09:21 PM
I'd get the S&W Model 41... like I just sold...

towerdog
February 11, 2012, 10:59 PM
I have the GSG and really ike it.

I was looking at the Citadel M-1911 .22 Tactical I cant give a review of it because I have not shot one. maybe someone can chime in about it but at our local shop it is running $350 and comes with an extra mag and soft case. It looks to be a nice .22

Route666
February 12, 2012, 05:13 AM
Ishoot1st - I'm not sure how relevant what I paid for it will be for you, as I'm in Australia, so not only does shipping stuff here add to the cost, and our exchange rate at the time was not as good as it is now, and we get don't have as much variety / choice / competition when it comes to shopping for firearms stuff as you will find in the USA, I paid about $1250 for it and 3 extra mags. I think the mags were about $90 each. At the time I think our exchange rate was 75 cents or something like that.

22-rimfire
February 12, 2012, 03:14 PM
I have my eye on a Kimber 22 Target. Yeah, they're expensive.

Pilot
February 13, 2012, 06:26 AM
I would throw a Marvel .22 conversion unit on a 1911 frame.

Ishoot1st
February 13, 2012, 09:28 AM
Route666- thats interesting...is it because of strict gun laws, or does Australia not manufacture many firearms? Or is there an import ban or crazy tax? Just curious, i always thought of the land down under having an abundance of guns?

Route666
February 13, 2012, 05:28 PM
There is quite an abundance, but the laws are quite strict, requiring legitimate reasons for licenses and permits to acquire firearms, like security work, sports shooting, pest control on a farm, etc. They aren't as impossible to get as many think, but you need to "prove" these requirements, by showing current membership at a sporting club, or showing that your property is reasonably big to safely fire a rifle for a recreational long-arm license or for pest management. It all depends on the license and the purpose.

I'd say the main reason they are quite expensive is just the gouging that importers / distributors / gun shops can do as there aren't all that many of them. Shipping here would also add significantly, as we're quite far away from anywhere and no longer manufacture many (if any) firearms. I recently read that Kimber was started by a man from Australia, from a town called Kimba if I remember correctly. I found that to be interesting!

Ishoot1st
February 16, 2012, 08:14 AM
Very interesting...thanks for the info 666.

CheapFuneral
February 16, 2012, 10:07 AM
I picked up a sig 1911-22 (the gsg with sig handles) I didn't expect to buy it I was gonna buy something to plink with was looking at a p22 saw this on sale and picked it up. That was 3 months ago I have shot about 800+ rounds with 0 problems other then some ammo I have to double strike to go off(I blame the ammo it was super cheap) I would recommend it to a friend except to get the gsg because it's cheaper. (I didn't research before I paid for it) Also weight is great on my gsg feels like the real thing. I havent shot any other 1911-22 so I can't comment on them.

It seems you are looking for a pistol to plink with but I also recommend looking into the GSG st-44 22 it should be out soon and looks awesome.

Ishoot1st
February 16, 2012, 12:44 PM
Wow...that gsg st-44 looks awesome. Its the "original" assault rifle, and now its in .22! gotta get one of these, i was also looking at the scar-L in .22 by ISSC. The ppsh .22 clone looks like fun too. So many choices, not enough credit cards. Anybody seen a tommy gun in .22?

CheapFuneral
February 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
Yes I don't know who it was made by but they had one at my gun show

451 Detonics
February 16, 2012, 04:29 PM
Personally I would buy a lower and build it up then add a Marvel upper. These come in a wide variety of versions from plain jane to race uppers but all are very accurate...

http://www.marvelprecision.com/

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/handguns/marvel221.jpg

CheapFuneral
February 16, 2012, 05:56 PM
:/ to much money for that upper just to use as a plinking gun. If u already own a 1911 that's fine I guess but at that price buy the whole gun.

Btw isn't the colt scaled down? I think I remember reading that. The gsg is full size. FWIW

AFK
February 16, 2012, 06:41 PM
I am very happy with my Kimber .22 rimfire. My wife primarily shoots it, but I take it out every once in a while. It has been great. Very accurate and reliable. It is a little too light for my taste, but I purchased it mainly for my wife to use. Oh, and yes, it is a 1911!

Ishoot1st
February 22, 2012, 10:15 AM
Does anyone here know anything about the Bersa American Classic 1911 .22? I looked at one today and they feel pretty good compared to the gsg 1911. Plus they look more like a "classic" 1911. And it was almost $100 cheaper. If anyone has any experience with the Bersa 1911 .22 could you post a review or a range report? Thanks

Pilot
February 22, 2012, 10:51 AM
1911s are .45ACP single-stack, single action, with grip and thumb safeties. All similar others are 1911 "style".

It disturbs me to see an American classic from who is perhaps the foremost American gun designed be so bast******d.

There is a place for them, but they're NOT 1911s. They simply do not match the military criteria for the 1911 pattern.

Man, I thought I was a purist! So what about the Colt Ace .22, or Colt Ace .22 conversion units that were sold to fit on their 1911 frames?

Would any other conversion unit like a Marvel or Ceiner on a 1911 frame be a 1911?

Both the Colt/Umarex, and GSG "1911's" have been getting good reviews.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .22 1911? What would u buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!