Can't Find an M&P 15

PDA

Still Shooting
February 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
Well, after 47 years of paying into Social Security I finally got my first check last week. I decided it should buy a "toy" after all that time feeding $ into the darned SSA. I live in NY State, so the purchase needs to be NY compliant. After due consideration, I feel I want an M&P 15FT. I also decided to put the purchase through my LGS, because the guys (family business) have been pretty good to me in the past.

Well, none of their distributors have the gun in stock, and none even know when or if they might be able to lay hands on one! So, I went on line. Saw the gun in only a couple of places (a few more "out of stock"), but the prices? -Outrageous! We're talking an MSRP of $1,154, and I'm seeing online prices of $1,500 - $1,700!

What gives? My LGS guy also says he's seen an uptick in AR sales of late, and is moving about 1 per week. He checked on Stag, and nothing there either...

We talked about PSA as a possible alternative, but I really kind of like S&W because of past excellent quality and service on my own and friends' handguns over the years...

If you enjoyed reading about "Can't Find an M&P 15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jsimmons
February 11, 2012, 08:03 AM
I have a S&W MOE model, and it's a nice gun (I like mine, that's for sure), but I think you can get better for less from Bravo Company, Spikes, or Palmetto, or even build one yourself. The AR-15 is so ubiquitous that you could build one yourself and end up with a rifle just as nice, reliable, and accurate as what I call "cookie-cutter" guns, but with the specific parts in it that YOU want, such as a decent trigger, a barrel with rifling and gas system appropriate for your use, and the furniture that makes the gun the most ergonomic for you. It won't cost any less to build your own, but you also won't have to buy something less, and then have to modify it, essentially buying parts twice (and ultimately spending more money).

As an example, I paid $1100 for my S&W, and then added a Magpul CTR stock, a CAA UPG16 pistol grip, a JARD fire control group, an M16 bolt carrier group, Sprinco action spring, H2 recoil buffer, and a Smith Vortex G6A2 flash suppressor, troy rear sight, and Yankee-Hill folding front sight. Total cost of upgrades was $750 (total rifle cost was $1750 without considering shipping cost when purchasing the parts, or additional magazines). I then built my own rifle for about $1300, with the same Jard trigger, a stainless 1:8 mid-length barrel, and floating hand guard.

Yes, you can build/buy a rifle for less, but if you're going to replace parts ANYWAY, what's the point in going for a budget rifle, because you're just gonna spend the money anyway. I guess what I'm saying is that for a quality rifle, you should expect to spend in the neighborhood of $1100-1500, even if you build it yourself. If you want a warranty on the entire rifle, get one that's pre-assembled (and there is certainly nothing wrong with this approach). If you have the chops to build your own, warranties still apply on the individual parts, but you're the one doing the repairs. The added benefit of doing your own gun is that you don't have to pay shipping when you need to have the rifle looked at.

ugaarguy
February 11, 2012, 08:34 AM
Still, there are two versions of the M&P15 T / FT. There's the first model T (SKU 811001) and FT (SKU 811004) with 1:9 twist hard chromed conventionally rifled barrels, and metal Troy folding sights with a $1700 MSRP. Then there are the new model T (SKU 811041) and FT (SKU 811048) with 1:8 Melonite treated 5R rifled barrels, and plastic MagPul MBUS sights with $1159 MSRP. Confused yet? :D . Have your dealer search by SKU. If that fails you may have to resort to buying online & paying your local dealer their transfer fee. I hope that helps.

dprice3844444
February 11, 2012, 08:47 AM
http://search.aol.com/aol/search?query=smithand+messon+m%26p+15+for+sale&s_it=keyword_rollover

rat worx has colt

Still Shooting
February 11, 2012, 09:09 AM
ugaarguy - The SKU on the model I will buy is 811004 (NY compliant-fixed stock, 10 rd. magazine).

While I do a significant amount of gun work, I am new to AR's; I am also a consultant and right now my client is in San Francisco - that means 40 hrs/wk of billable time in CA, and 15 hrs. each way door-to-door. I leave for the client site on Sunday morning, work 4-10hr. days, catch a Thur. night "redeye", and get home Fidays at about noon (with no sleep since Thur. AM). Clearly, my personal time is pretty limited - less than a day and a half a week to take care of a house, pay bills, get clothes clean and repacked, etc.

While I'd like to learn enough to do my own AR build, now is just not a realistic time to attempt that. Thus, the S&W MP 15, out-of-the-box with some add-ons over time.

alana
February 11, 2012, 10:41 AM
If you are stuck finding a S&W and don't mind a muzzle brake, you could look at the NY compliant Windham SRC.

They are about $800+tax - and more importantly, commonly available...

dprice3844444
February 11, 2012, 10:59 AM
windham is the old bushmaster folks up in maine.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9946/Product/AR-15-LE-ENTRY-TACTICAL-STOCK
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5559/Product/AR-15-BUTTSTOCK-EXTENDER

or order a ar15a1 stock from sarco(1 inch shorter than an a2) or order an a2 stock)cleaning kit storage inside.

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/ace-arul-e-ultralight-stock-entry-complete-assembled-stock-6.html

http://search.aol.com/aol/search?query=alifornia+legal+ar-15+stocks&s_it=keyword_rollover

http://californiarifles.com/ca-rifle-home/

order a barrel w/out flash hider

ugaarguy
February 11, 2012, 11:32 AM
Still, both FT (fixed tactical) SKUs I listed are "CT, MA, MD, NJ, NY Compliant". The SKU you listed, 811004, has a $1700 MSRP. Ask your dealer to look for 811048 SKU with the $1159 MSRP. I've edited my other post to reflect the lower MSRP of the new T / FT models.

G.barnes
February 12, 2012, 07:04 AM
Unless you just have to have the s&w you could put together a better rifle for the same money. You could go to BCMs website and order a complete upper with rails then order a lower through your ffl then have a gunsmith make them compliant. It's not that hard to pin a stock and muzzle brake unless there is another rule also that I didn't know about.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can't Find an M&P 15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!