semi auto die ?

PDA

x_wrench
February 11, 2012, 09:28 PM
i reload for my brother, and he just bought a used Browning BAR in 30-06. are we going to need a small base die set to reload this? or will standard dies work?

If you enjoyed reading about "semi auto die ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gamestalker
February 11, 2012, 10:11 PM
Are you talking about a fully auto BAR? Something like that may possibly not eat standard sized loads well, and usually do need a SB die to allow for free cycling/feeding. If you haven't bought the die yet, I would just buy the SB die to avoid any issues. They don't cost any more than a FL die and can still be used for a BA rifle load.

cfullgraf
February 11, 2012, 11:14 PM
Assuming you are talking about the modern hunting BAR and not an M1918, cases shot in the rifle can probably be full length resized with a standard full length sizer.

Problems can occur if you get fired brass from another source and size them in a standard full length sizer.

If you have not purchased the die yet, as gamestalker said, get a small base die to be safe.

P-32
February 11, 2012, 11:17 PM
Size some brass and find out. I always check to make sure my sized brass will fit the chamber on hunting and match ammo. I do this before I powder and load the brass. After it's loaded, I carefully check random rounds and make sure they fit. I don't want to go humnting to find my ammo won't work and I surely don't want to find my ammo won't fit at a match.

Both my '06 bolt guns and a hand full of M-1 Garands use a standard RCBS size die.

x_wrench
February 12, 2012, 01:21 PM
i AM talking about a semi auto BAR, not a military BAR. we do not yet have a die set, and i would really prefer to only buy one set. i have right now about 100 rounds of fired brass that i have found, that will need to be sized, so he can use them. they came from who knows what. i pick up anything that is a gold color, or brown even. if it is empty brass, and it is laying on the ground, i pick it up. it does not mater if i have a gun for it or not. some of the 30-06 brass that i have found is old military stuff from the 40's. that may have had mercury priming to them. so they will not get loaded, except to put a bullet in for display. i love pieces of history like that. i have even found a few 40's vintage 45acp shells also.

rcmodel
February 12, 2012, 01:34 PM
30-06 brass that i have found is old military stuff from the 40's. that may have had mercury priming to themThey would not have mercuric primers.
They stopped using them in the U.S. in the 1920's, except in a few match cartridges from Winchester.

Military cases of that age would have potassium chlorate corrosive primers.

But thats O.K..

Deprime & clean them as you would any other 30-06 cases and gofer it.

BTW: The GI cases will have crimped primer pockets.

rc

rg1
February 12, 2012, 01:35 PM
My standard RCBS full length sizer works for my Rem. 742 semi-auto, a friends Browning 30-06 semi-auto, M1 Garands, and more than one 30-06 bolt rifle. There would be only a slim chance that your Browning would need a small base sizer. Most chambering problems are not getting the headspace correct and case shoulders are not pushed back enough. I like Hornady's Cartridge Headspace gauge set for setting your full length sizing die. The Hornady set works with most all calibers. It attaches to your calipers to measure the amount you push back the shoulder when sizing.

rcmodel
February 12, 2012, 01:37 PM
I agree.

Very likely not needed unless you are scrounging up old GI machinegun brass.

rc

x_wrench
February 12, 2012, 04:11 PM
i really doubt they were fired from a machine gun. the most i have found at one time was 20 rounds. and they were all commercial. the few military brass rounds that i have found were scattered about a bit. most likely from an M1 garrand. besides, who can only shoot 20 rounds from a full auto? i know i never could. i would want to go until the ammo box was empty. i may stop once or twice, with a grin larger than the moon :D:what::D. but why stop when there is more ammo! but thanks for the tip. i figured they would be bad stuff to reuse. but since i only have a couple, i think i will still just keep them as keepsakes. to remember all those who fought, and died for our country. those guys and gals, are the true hero's of this country. not some politician sitting in a $10,000.00 chair, in a $5,000.00 suit paid for by us, signing his or her name on a piece of paper.

If you enjoyed reading about "semi auto die ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!