Busse Boss Jack New to me

PDA

lobo9er
February 11, 2012, 10:14 PM
Got a new to me boss jack in the mail the other day. Love at first slice :) Pretty impressive slab of INFI. Its a full convesx grind, any tips on keeping up a convex edge? Or tips on sharpening/maintaining an edge on infi steel?

If you enjoyed reading about "Busse Boss Jack New to me" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
February 12, 2012, 12:29 AM
INFI is supposed to be magic stuff. You might consider dropping into the Busse forum at BladeForums.com. Or, you could wait here a bit, and Steve'll likely drop in to talk about stropping on leather and coffee cups! :D

hso
February 12, 2012, 02:23 AM
I doubt you'll wear the edge down enough to do more than back strop on a pad with some Mother's on it.

lobo9er
February 12, 2012, 11:00 AM
I think I may asked awhile back but I have since forgot. Brasso metal polish will that stuff work?

alaskanativeson
February 13, 2012, 09:16 AM
As we like to say over on the Busse Forum, "Pics, or it never happened!"

I'm a big fan. I'm not going to agree and say it's magic or anything, but there are some of us who are convinced that the Lady of the Lake came to Wauseon, Ohio to get Excaliber. As a Tolkienerd I'll also say I believe Angrist came from there, too. (Don't worry if you don't get the references - Since I read, write, and speak a couple of Tolkien's Elvish dialects, you could definitely say I'm a super Tollkien nerd.)

I'd agree that hso is right. Unless you plan to do some real heavy work, stropping will likely take care of you for a good long while. If you do wear it down, I've found the Work Sharp knife and tool sharpener to be easy to take care of a convex edge with.

Hamilton Felix
February 14, 2012, 03:49 PM
I doubt Jerry Busse had a hand in Excalibur (not to mention its scabbard, which if I recall my la morte d'arthur was more important), but he does make a great knife. I'm not planning to dump my straight handled Steelheart II anytime soon.

Gordon
February 14, 2012, 04:44 PM
Was that Busse shipped hair shaving sharp?

lobo9er
February 14, 2012, 05:40 PM
It was used to baton some wood by previous owner and shows as much, some of the finish was gone and was barely shaving sharp. i stropped it a wee bit. Its not screaming sharp yet but sharp enough for now. Maybe this weekend I'll pick up a ceramic rod, see what that does. For the record I am very happy with it so far. I'll try to get set up for pics this week. never posted any on here yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Busse Boss Jack New to me" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!