If you were hunting big game & came across a coyote..

PDA

GJgo
February 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
..would you shoot it? In Colorado it's legal to take a coyote on your unfilled big game tag, but I always have a small game tag as well.

Last year I had this happen to me twice. Second season I was making a stand with a friend who had an elk tag. Never saw any elk that day, but a nice coyote did come in to check us out. I had a shot with my 610 but didn't take it because I didn't want to miff up his hunt. In hindsight I should have blasted.

Third season I was by myself up on a ridge waiting for an elk and a pack of 4 coyotes came up the ridge, noses to the ground, following my exact trail. I let them get within about 50 feet & decided to stop the party, stood up & yelled them off. They were big & I didn't want a problem. Could have easily shot one, if not more. I went ahead & walked off that stand so I didn't give them a chance to circle around on me down wind, one was being a bit aggressive about leaving- huffing & barking at me. Never saw an elk that day either. I hunt this area all week so I didn't want to scare off any elk in the area with shots, but in years past it's not uncommon for us to get two or more elk over the course of a day or two so I'm not sure it really matters.

If you enjoyed reading about "If you were hunting big game & came across a coyote.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hogshead
February 12, 2012, 12:57 PM
Tag a coyote? Around here they are a shoot on sight proposition. I shot at one on the third day of deer season but missed. Then I sat there till 12 thinking I was a real da for shooting and messing up my hunt for rest of day.

exbiologist
February 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
I let em go normally because I don't want to spook game. While archery hunting, that's another story

Ankeny
February 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
I let them go, then come back and call them in after big game season.

jmr40
February 12, 2012, 01:29 PM
Normally I'd shoot. But It would depend on how badly I thought it would hurt my chances at the animals I'm actually hunting. Drop it and leave it until I'm ready to go. Firing a shot spooks animals much less than you might think. The noise made going to the animal after shooting would spook big game much more.

alsaqr
February 12, 2012, 01:30 PM
Unless there is a big game animal in sight the coyote will get shot 100 percent of the time. Coyotes here take one-third to one-half of the new fawns every year.

Tomcat47
February 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
That is for off season for me......and really only when they are a nuisance!

They leave us alone ..... we leave them alone!

The balance of nature in my opinion. But the DNR seems pretty clear on what they think on their web page. (see below)

Here Feral hogs...which have become a worse problem in the past few years.. so bad!, SC does not even have a season on them now. All year is open season.

And DNR now has a task force for just them. Most do not imagine the damage they do, and that they are carnivorous and will kill and eat livestock.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/natural_resources/wildlife/wildhogs/index.html

But I understand the Coyote thing as well....I will do my share of thinning the problematic creatures (just not during my hunting season) because it helps control disease as with the hogs.

MaineHunter
February 12, 2012, 01:33 PM
Take the shot EVERY time. Thet are devastating to the spring fawns.

TwoEyedJack
February 12, 2012, 06:32 PM
I never pass up a shot on a coyote. However, I have passed on at least two bears. Didn't want to ruin a day of elk hunting. Neither were what you would call trophies.

Hunter2678
February 12, 2012, 06:35 PM
Not during my hunt ...but if Im leaving the stand or blind...yeah. I don't buy into the whole eradication philosophy either on anything except mosquitos, and ticks...

Gunnerboy
February 12, 2012, 06:51 PM
I kill every one i see whether its a pup,grown one or grown one with pups, kill em all

TexasPatriot.308
February 12, 2012, 06:53 PM
I got too many coyotes to worry about getting a shot at another. whether at my deer lease or my house, at night they sound like they are just a few yards away and usually are. I have had em pass right pass my stand, but I aint gonna run off a good deer to shoot a coyote I can usually get a shot at anytime.

buck460XVR
February 12, 2012, 07:14 PM
After the first hour on opening day, the sound of gunshots is so common that most deer don't even pick their heads up anymore......so yes I shoot every yote that comes within range. Did it twice this year during gun deer season. The last several years, Its gotten fairly common for 'yotes to come in to Turkey calls during the spring Gobbler season. Shot one off the decoys one morning after working a tom for almost two hours. My friend chewed me out sayin' now we wouldn't see a bird there all day. With that he picked up his stuff and started up the hill. He got about ten yards and said...."oh s&^%!" The whole flock was still comin' with two nice toms in tow.

ChefJeff1
February 12, 2012, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't waste a deer or elk tag on a coyote. This fall I was deer hunting and saw a Coyote. I think he was hunting the same herd of deer that I was. I was successful and he wasn't. He did probably get some guts for lunch.

Brad5192
February 12, 2012, 07:25 PM
Shoot them

theicemanmpls
February 12, 2012, 07:29 PM
With my luck? If I shoot the yote, the deer upwind of us is spooked, and I go home empty handed.

I will let my presence known to the coyote so he leaves town. He lives another day.

I am in the woods to hunt deer not kill predators.

Weedy
February 12, 2012, 07:48 PM
Well obviously we humans are ENTITLED to all the deer, why should the coyotes get any, right? I mean, the coyotes can just go to the supermarket and buy a box of Pop-Tarts or something instead. Just shoot 'em all and leave the carcass, buzzards gotta eat too!
Makes me sick that people can be ok with that. Whatever.

BigN
February 12, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'd shoot it since I'd rather go coyote hunting than deer hunting anyway.

ColtPythonElite
February 12, 2012, 08:17 PM
It sucks you have to blow a game tag to get rid of a nuisance animal...Where I live they are far game anytime. I'd shoot it and not worry about the shot bumming up my deer hunt.

Shooting coyotes for sport doesn't bother me a bit. They are relatively new in my area and the toll they are taking is obvious on other game animals. We don't do alot of coyote hunting, but snare the heck out of them.

DM~
February 12, 2012, 08:27 PM
I shoot every one i see!

I've shot a deer leaveing it where it falls, 10 mins later more deer come out, so shooting a coyote sure doesn't hurt a thing.

DM

GJgo
February 12, 2012, 08:31 PM
To clarify, shooting a yote "on your big game tag" does not void your big game tag in CO. As long as you have not yet harvested your big game & punched out your tag, you can shoot as many coyotes as you want on your big game tag & still shoot your game.

From the responses it seems 'bout 50/50. In my experience elk spook a lot easier than deer, and they're hard enough to get your cross hairs on that I opted not to take a chance on a yote I didn't feel like skinning anyway. Tough call though, I have to say..

jbkebert
February 12, 2012, 08:35 PM
Two years ago I set my new record. I arrowed five yotes from my treestand during the archery deer season. The kept coming into fawn bleats. One day I busted a yote with an arrow. Not fifteen minutes later I ended up sticking a arrow in a nice 5X6 buck.

Even with a rifle we have had deer step out within minutes after a shot. Doesnt seem to really bother them. That is why they are prey animals. They ain't the brightest at times.

Tomcat47
February 12, 2012, 08:52 PM
The poll is heading toward 70%

Can not really say I agree with kill em all. Management of wildlife is a balance no matter what part of US you are in. They are a nuisance on one side, yet they serve an ecologial balance on the other.

Also my particular take on the Coyote, and not bothering them during my Hunt, brought me to this realization....I have not actually seen a lot of Coyotes while on a hunt!

It is when as a group we set out to manage them that we achieve the necessary impact, as opposed to just shooting random sightings.

Plus around here, it is at late evening that we gain the advantage, because they are more nocturnal. (SC Allows night hunting of the Coyote, and that is where an impact can be made)

This sounds like unfair or sport hunting, however the Deer population has declined in SC by 30% since 2002! A Coyote reproduces in late winter, they have a 63 day gestation period, and produce 5-7 pups per litter.

That is why we call it what it is Management. @ Jbkebert I also believe bow season is a good time to do some management! I see more during bow season myself, and I think that is when gun season comes along they go into the nocturnal mode after the guns start going off.

kbbailey
February 12, 2012, 09:08 PM
I have had a live/let live theory with coyotes. Kinda enjoy seein' 'em.
Lately we see several 'yotes and fewer deer. I got a .204 and electronic call/decoy, to see if we can thin out the song dog population.

rcmodel
February 12, 2012, 10:23 PM
I had a very mangy coyote run right through my turkey decoys and almost right between my legs three years ago.

He needed to be killed to end his suffering.

I had him dead to rights coming in, and going out.
I let him go, because I had turkeys talking right across the creek from my set.

I still wish I had of shot him and spooked the turkeys, just to put him out of his misery.
But I didn't.

rc

wankerjake
February 12, 2012, 11:32 PM
I used to let them walk during a big game hunt. My current policy is that unless I'm actively stalking the targeted big game, I'm shooting coyotes on sight. I've watched deer and elk too many times when a shot rings out nearby and they don't even look up. Unless I know there are animals in the area, the coyote is getting smoked.

PowerG
February 13, 2012, 12:00 AM
I generally shoot them, but I'm not convinced doing so actually affects the population much. I know since they moved in around 10 years ago the turkey population is not nearly what it used to be.

wildchild2010
February 13, 2012, 12:34 AM
Some states have close season on yotes during big game hunting so people don't kill wolves by accident.

kyle1974
February 13, 2012, 01:35 AM
I rarely shoot coyotes. Mainly because the Ranch workers kill several hundred a year with traps and snares, and whatever other means they can come up with. it's all out war against coyotes where I'm at.

303tom
February 13, 2012, 09:33 AM
I would let it walk..............

wheelgunslinger
February 13, 2012, 09:41 AM
I'd let him walk.

I don't kill animals just to be doing it.

jmr40
February 13, 2012, 09:46 AM
I'd let him walk.

I don't kill animals just to be doing it.

I suppose you have the same approach when roaches and mice find their way into your home. Coyotes are in the same category.

Novisvierling
February 13, 2012, 09:59 AM
I have shot many in my years of hunting. I shot two in the same day from a tree stand in early fall while archery hunting deer one came in just after two turkey's passed by there he was rite under my stand I said "really?" I could not resist then two small doe walked buy nervously and looking back in the direction they came from I thought it was bowinkle coming but low and behold coyote number two I just couldn't resist..... Never saw any big deer that year at all maybe the coyote population changed there habits ?

Fall Guy
February 13, 2012, 10:08 AM
I spooked a very nice mulie from the next coulee I was headed to by trying to shoot a coyote. I swore them off while big game hunting after that. It might not have been so bad if I had actually hit the darn thing.

MCgunner
February 13, 2012, 01:07 PM
As I've done it before, I voted to shoot it. I'm ambivalent, though, but some of the leases I have been on, the land owner strongly requested to shoot all coyotes on sight, so I did. :D

Coyote invasion is why there are no more red wolves on the Texas coast. They were bred out of existence by cross breeding from coyotes. There is no lack of coyote numbers. Killing them is a good thing as I see it.

TNboy
February 13, 2012, 02:28 PM
I'm a meat hunter, I really don't care much about a trophy buck, nothing wrong with trophy hunting, it's just not my cup of tea, for now anyway. I've shot many a deer and had more deer continue to come in. If I see a yote I'm shooting. As for the leaving it for the buzzards and other tree hugging hippy BS remarks. Yes I will. I'm sure when you catch a mouse in a mouse trap you pelt it out and butcher it. Same difference.

sugarmaker
February 13, 2012, 03:04 PM
There will be a loud kaboom. I may or may not take the pelt depending on how far into the woods I am, how big the dog is, and what the price is. One less coyote is always a good thing, I will send lead without question with 100% certainty if it's a positive ID Coyote. Where I come from they are vermin and nothing else.

Skyshot
February 13, 2012, 03:56 PM
I shoot em if I can, Two years ago I shot 3 on opening morning of deer season just after daylight and at 8:10 had a huge racked 9 pointer on the ground.

25cschaefer
February 13, 2012, 05:33 PM
Coyotes are pretty spooky, I shoot them when I see them, there will be more chances on big game.

sixgunner455
February 13, 2012, 07:54 PM
I declined a number of shots on coyotes, and one fox, this past deer season. I only get to hunt deer for a week, and I wasn't going to ruin any small chance I had of finding a deer over a coyote.

Plenty of time to shoot coyotes the other 51 weeks of the year. But on the other hand, if I'd shot a coyote or three, maybe there'd be more deer to find next year.

kind of a conundrum.

Craigman
February 14, 2012, 12:06 AM
I have let them go in the past, but when one was on the scent trail of a downed doe I had just shot, when I was waiting for her to properly expire.....I HAD to take him out. He was headed right towards my kill and only had about 30yards to go.

allaroundhunter
February 14, 2012, 12:33 AM
I would only shoot it if shooting hours for game animals had passed, or if it was getting too late in the day if I was hunting in the morning (coyotes are not a game animal here). Other than that, I let them pass unless they are causing a problem.

7.62 Nato
February 14, 2012, 12:38 AM
Unfortunately, it would depend too much on what the federal, and local "law enforcement" would deem "legal" instead of what's right, or logical. don't wanna screw up your life doing what's right.

janobles14
February 14, 2012, 01:44 AM
here they beg hunters to shoot them. and i oblige! during deer season i drop them like its my job. during turkey season...not so much. although i want to try carrying my .45 with its can to see what might happen!

wombat13
February 14, 2012, 10:20 AM
Plenty of time to shoot coyotes the other 51 weeks of the year. But on the other hand, if I'd shot a coyote or three, maybe there'd be more deer to find next year.

kind of a conundrum.

I wish. The season in NY runs 10/1 to 3/25. Deer season runs from October until a couple days before Christmas. If you wait until deer season is over you are left with January, February, and March. Jan - Feb is the coldest time of year here so you have to be very motivated to get out after yotes.

The deer herd in southern NY is well below target and it near impossible to get a doe tag. A hard winter in 2003-2004, coyotes and bears taking a lot of fawns, and likely an increase in poaching during the recession have prevented the herd from growing. Despite this, the NY DEC maintains this closed season. It should be shoot on site any time year round for these vermin.

sixgunner455
February 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
Well, like I said, in AZ, coyotes are in season year-round. Just have to have a hunting license.

Wish our deer season lasted that long!

bison
February 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
I'd shoot. Deer don't seem to spook that easily and my ranch has enough hills that the sound won't travel far anyway.

Last year my son and I shot some Tannerite off for fun on the ranch, then immediately got in the truck to drive home. 200 yards away was a doe and buck grazing like nothing had happened.

Loyalist Dave
February 14, 2012, 12:16 PM
We don't get the coyotes too often, but we do get them, in this urban setting. Several years ago we had several in Rockville, Maryland, and called the DNR about them. They told us we were mistaken, so a friend sent them an email and asked them to ID the critter, which they promptly said was a Coyote. Then we informed them it was photographed to the rear of County Police Headquarters.

Our problem is that they prey on small dogs when people are walking them in the county parks, when they can't get other food. We had a report of a dog attack on some lady's pet..., it was coyote came out and took her Bichon or some other breed of fur ball.

So they got hunted and put down. But they can show up again at any time. We have the C&O canal and High Power Transmission Line right-of-ways that make natural highways for them and bears too.

LD

MtnSpur
February 14, 2012, 12:44 PM
I've had to retire from big game (deer, elk, etc) hunting so I won't vote to skew this poll. That said we have a plethora of coyote in Texas that aren't looked upon kindly by most ranchers. I take every one I can. The horses, dogs and cats look kindly upon me for doing my due diligence.

wombat13
February 14, 2012, 02:22 PM
Well, like I said, in AZ, coyotes are in season year-round. Just have to have a hunting license.

Wish our deer season lasted that long!
Yes, the NY deer season runs from October through a couple days before Christmas, but that includes bow, gun, and muzzleloader seasons. You have to buy a license for all three seasons if you want to hunt that long. You only get 23 days if you are a gun hunter.

Mike1234567
February 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't shoot it unless I was collecting the pelt... and I don't do that. If it was near my property then, yes, I'd probably shoot it because there are lots of pets and children around here. I've never understood the killing anything just because one can.

wombat13
February 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't shoot it unless I was collecting the pelt... and I don't do that. If it was near my property then, yes, I'd probably shoot it because there are lots of pets and children around here. I've never understood the killing anything just because one can.
I must have missed where someone said they shoot the yotes just because they can. Seems to me the folks who said they would shoot don't like the impact that yotes have on wildlife, livestock, and pets and they shoot them to minimize that impact.

BP Hunter
February 14, 2012, 02:48 PM
I did shoot twice. I was ending my hunt and I didn;t see what I was looking for, so I decided to shoot the coyote.

stownsend
February 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
When we hunt, after you have filled your deer tag it is your job to still go along on the hunt and shoot every coyote you can. Typically we put away the deer guns and switch to the varmint rigs and go to town. We continue to hunt until everyone has their deer tags filled so if you shoot your buck on the first day you are going to have a lot of days of coyote hunting. I try to kill them every chance I get.

Mike1234567
February 14, 2012, 05:30 PM
I guess I need to research more about coyotes. I know they can be very invasive and damaging but I suspect I've not realized how much so. Off to find more coyote info...

kd7nqb
February 14, 2012, 05:42 PM
where I have hunted in the past coyotes destroy deer populations in addition to all the other issues associated with them. So I assume that if I see it, its my job to kill it. I would love to go on a dedicated predator hunt and just pop coyotes for a day but have not had the chance yet.

Loic
February 14, 2012, 06:15 PM
I whish I could shoot them, but I'm having a hard time seen them.. here in NV you can hunt them all year long, no hunting license required, they're considered varmint.

Sent from my EVO 3 D using Tapatalk

CoRoMo
February 14, 2012, 06:52 PM
Death.

Justin Holder
February 14, 2012, 07:42 PM
Three words.

TARGET OF OPPORTUNITY!

Weedy
February 14, 2012, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Mike1234567

I must have missed where someone said they shoot the yotes just because they can. Seems to me the folks who said they would shoot don't like the impact that yotes have on wildlife, livestock, and pets and they shoot them to minimize that impact.

So coyotes are such a nuisance all over the country that they need to be shot on sight and left to rot? I think a lot of people just like "killin' stuff." Coyotes are not an invasive species. Deer are running rampant around here (in the metro areas), I can't believe coyotes can be left to rot while deer cannot (not that it should be done, ever). I guess some animals really are "more equal." I'm not an "activist", don't get me wrong, I hunt, but I eat what I kill and I acknowledge the fact that I am taking a life. I just don't see how people talk about ethics and whatnot, while killing certain animals (coyotes, possums, armadillos) and leaving them to rot. I mean, I've seen people post on THR about killing certain animals just because they're ugly. Are you kidding me?

theicemanmpls
February 14, 2012, 09:41 PM
So coyotes are such a nuisance all over the country that they need to be shot on sight and left to rot? I think a lot of people just like "killin' stuff." Coyotes are not an invasive species. Deer are running rampant around here (in the metro areas), I can't believe coyotes can be left to rot while deer cannot (not that it should be done, ever). I guess some animals really are "more equal." I'm not an "activist", don't get me wrong, I hunt, but I eat what I kill and I acknowledge the fact that I am taking a life. I just don't see how people talk about ethics and whatnot, while killing certain animals (coyotes, possums, armadillos) and leaving them to rot. I mean, I've seen people post on THR about killing certain animals just because they're ugly. Are you kidding me?
No, nobody is kidding you. It happens. I used to do it myself. If it was legal, unpopular, and ugly, I killed it. I was very good at it.

As I age, I grow my mellow, perhaps wise.

Now, I don't kill any creature unless it needs killing.

Last one I whacked was a spider at my wifes pleading. I wanted to move him elsewhere in the house as they eat varmint bugs. She insisted he had to die because he scared her. I still can't figure that one out.

If I fish, it always catch and release. Deer hunting, Now I bring the rifle, but I bring the camera to. Catching their photo is much more rewarding to me then putting a 350g slug in their lungs.

I am not saying hunting is bad. However there is a big difference between ethical hunting, and random killing.

I think hunting is necessary. Someone else needs to do it. I can not anymore.

Regarding the coyotes, if they become a nuisance, then they have to go.

Steel Talon
February 14, 2012, 09:49 PM
No, I spend plenty of time in the hunt for coyotes. But when I'm hunting big game they get a pass. Now if I got an elk hanging and Im farting around in camp with my 22mag. and one comes up its a different story

Loic
February 14, 2012, 10:33 PM
coyotes, in some part of the country, are a problem.
the only time I had a shot at 2 coyotes, was at night (it is legal here to hunt them at night with spot light) I didnt take the shot cuz , at this time, it didnt feel right to me. they were way to easy to shot. I was in my jeep (wich is loud due to my off road exaust) had the music kind of loud ( I like classic rock !!) as I was driving very slowly I saw 2 pairs of green eyes, I stop the jeep (didnt kill the engine) took the rifle and look thru the scope, here they were , 2 coyotes a little up hill from me at about 50 yards. I got of the Jeep, started walking toward them and they were almost not moving, just a couple of feet to my right and back. I looked at them again thru the scope and said to myself, no, too easy, another day. got back in the jeep and took off. I have tried to go back to the same area to hunt them but couldnt find them again. this kind of stuff hapened also with rabbits, I let go many of them as it would have been to easy to shoot them. I dont like cheap shot, I want the animal and myself to have equal chances and most of the time they win.

mes227
February 14, 2012, 10:36 PM
Always always always shoot the coyote!

LeonCarr
February 14, 2012, 11:08 PM
Coyotes and Hogs get shot first.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

MCgunner
February 14, 2012, 11:51 PM
I guess I need to research more about coyotes. I know they can be very invasive and damaging but I suspect I've not realized how much so. Off to find more coyote info...

Also research "Red Wolf in Texas" or something like that. It was coyote migration to coastal Texas that hybridized them out of existence. We didn't used to have coyotes in Brazoria County. I was one of the lucky that saw one, probably one of the last, in the wild on the San Bernard NWR when I was headed out goose hunting there one morning. I'll never forget that animal in my memory. There is NOW no shortage of coyote in Brazoria County.

MCgunner
February 14, 2012, 11:56 PM
Here, looked it up for ya.....

http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/canirufu.htm

303tom
February 15, 2012, 01:21 AM
http://www.dogtipper.com/blog/2010/08/national-geographic-channel-to-premier-and-man-created-dog.html

Rmart30
February 15, 2012, 01:30 PM
I never pass up a shot at a coyote... They take so many of our fawns any size yote is going down. Even if it does "spoil that hunt" it helps any future hunts.

Geno
February 15, 2012, 08:08 PM
Your poll is in error. We shoot them on sight, in accord with the law, because they are so destructive to other wild life. That said, the lil suckers are quick. Good luck!!!

:D

allaroundhunter
February 15, 2012, 08:22 PM
I just don't see how people talk about ethics and whatnot, while killing certain animals (coyotes, possums, armadillos) and leaving them to rot.

You probably have never seen their impact on livestock have you? Yes, when I shoot coyotes they are left, but are quickly eaten by other animals, not left to rot.

I also shoot opossums that I find/catch near the house because they get into anything they can and cause huge problems. Again, they are left as food for some other species.

There are also occasions where we will shoot wild hogs and not have time to clean them and they will be left to be eaten by something else.

If you don't have firsthand experience with nuisance species you won't wholly understand. And, there is a difference between hunting ethically, and eradicating.

ETA: I don't kill things for fun, nor for their looks. I kill deer and birds for food, and I kill nuisance animals because of the problems they cause.

kyle1974
February 15, 2012, 08:53 PM
We don't leave them to rot...we usually dig a hole with a backhoe and bury them....

tahoe2
February 15, 2012, 11:20 PM
Yotes can be hunted year round in western WA with either a small game or big game license. They are devastating on the local deer fawns(coastal blacktail), but are tough to get a shot on, in our dense forest's. Most of the yotes I see around here, are in town, illegal to discharge a firearm within city limits (damn!, those crafty yotes). I've got some 110gr handloads for my .300 Savage that I can reach out to three hundred yards with. But have yet to claim a dog with, summers coming though!

303tom
February 15, 2012, 11:58 PM
Who kept them in check before we came along ?

sixgunner455
February 16, 2012, 12:00 AM
Wolves, believe it or not. They still do, where timber wolves roam.

And disease, and starvation. Mother nature isn't very kind.

Cob
February 16, 2012, 01:06 AM
Quote:
I just don't see how people talk about ethics and whatnot, while killing certain animals (coyotes, possums, armadillos) and leaving them to rot.

Would you kill a wasp or bee that had just stung you? Would you think twice about killing it? bury a roach after you stepped on him, or bury a rat or mouse you caught in a mouse trap?

Sometimes Prejudice can take weird forms... Wildlife management sometimes involves reducing numbers of certain living things, so other living things get a better chance at life. Taking out a coyote when the opportunity arises really is no different than the above examples, only the living form looks more like a dog...Sometimes this causes psychological problems for Dog-lovers...BTW Coyotes will eat a dog too.

kyle1974
February 16, 2012, 01:19 AM
If they're furry, that means they matter more. :).

Hellifino
February 16, 2012, 01:25 AM
I hunt a ranch in Texas that requires you to shoot -a coyote,then a hog, and if it's still there, a game animal last! Which I have no problem with.

Weedy
February 16, 2012, 01:27 AM
You probably have never seen their impact on livestock have you? Yes, when I shoot coyotes they are left, but are quickly eaten by other animals, not left to rot.

I also shoot opossums that I find/catch near the house because they get into anything they can and cause huge problems. Again, they are left as food for some other species.

There are also occasions where we will shoot wild hogs and not have time to clean them and they will be left to be eaten by something else.

If you don't have firsthand experience with nuisance species you won't wholly understand. And, there is a difference between hunting ethically, and eradicating.

ETA: I don't kill things for fun, nor for their looks. I kill deer and birds for food, and I kill nuisance animals because of the problems they cause.

OK thank you but I don't need to own livestock to know that coyotes can prey upon them, and I do understand protecting your animals. BUT...if you don't own livestock, and you are nowhere near a farm or ranch, and you're just sittin on a deer stand, why? Why kill it?
I know its useless trying to argue this point. Kinda like religion and politics, people just do what they're gonna do I suppose.
One of the best moments I ever had while out hunting was watching a coyote for a while before it walked right up to me, looked me in the eyes, and walked away. It never fully knew I was there (I don't think) but it eventually knew something wasn't quite right. I love dogs too and I think coyotes are too dog-like for me to shoot.
Yeah I'm just a big wuss when it comes to fuzzy woodland creatures, I admit it.

Weedy
February 16, 2012, 01:44 AM
Would you kill a wasp or bee that had just stung you? Would you think twice about killing it? bury a roach after you stepped on him, or bury a rat or mouse you caught in a mouse trap?

Sometimes Prejudice can take weird forms... Wildlife management sometimes involves reducing numbers of certain living things, so other living things get a better chance at life. Taking out a coyote when the opportunity arises really is no different than the above examples, only the living form looks more like a dog...Sometimes this causes psychological problems for Dog-lovers...BTW Coyotes will eat a dog too.

I appreciate your attempt at a biology/psychology lesson, but comparing a coyote or whatever to a wasp or bee that just stung me is completely apples and oranges. The coyote isn't trying to harm me. And potential to harm is no excuse for killing things. I understand the principles of wildlife managemant. I say good day sir.

35 Whelen
February 16, 2012, 01:52 AM
Depends...Hunting behind the house? You bet. I have free-range chickens and coyotes and stray dogs are shot on sight. Hunting away from the house? Never. We raised cattle from the time I was a kid which included a couple of years on a dairy, and we never lost an animal to a coyote. Away from the house, they' don't bother anything and I enjoy watching them.

35W

303tom
February 16, 2012, 10:54 AM
Would you want someone to shoot your dog just because they could ?
NO.
Well then what makes you think GOD wants you to shoot his dog. Just because you can.

X-Rap
February 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
During the off season I'll try to give every coyote the dirt nap but when I'm hunting for meat and bone I'll give em the pass unless I'm bow hunting.
Never thought of them as Gods dog, maybe Satans? no those would be wolves.

wankerjake
February 16, 2012, 11:21 AM
Would you want someone to shoot your dog just because they could ?
NO.
Well then what makes you think GOD wants you to shoot his dog. Just because you can.

Then maybe God should keep "his dogs" on a leash. Problem solved, glad we could reason thru this.

Mike1234567
February 16, 2012, 11:28 AM
Well, ain't this one becoming entertaining. :D

After some research I can understand why some folks would want to kill every coyote they run across. Personally, I remain unconvinced that it's necessary. Near one's home or ranch/farm? Yes. Way off in the wilderness? Not so much.

MCgunner
February 16, 2012, 01:31 PM
Dang, between this thread and the ethical shot thread, seems to be a lot of tree huggers and granola crunchers around here. :rolleyes:

How many chatters here belong to the HSUS or PETA, raise your hands....:D

Mike1234567
February 16, 2012, 02:55 PM
I'm not a member of any group. I'm just an opinionated wuss. I do like granola though.:)

MCgunner
February 16, 2012, 03:00 PM
Well, I started another ethics thread you can lambaste me on. :D

Weedy
February 16, 2012, 03:20 PM
Seriously , why do people like to make comments about PETA and granola and tree hugging, or being a liberal, when a person thinks animals should be treated humanely (that includes being killed humanely)? Or mentioning that animals have some intrinsic value just like we do? Is it cool, or macho, or tough, or "conservative", to want to kill things? I can never understand that.

Mike1234567
February 16, 2012, 03:32 PM
^^^ Because some folks were raised that way. If you don't like beatin' sumthin' ta' death ya' ain't a real man.:rolleyes::D

allaroundhunter
February 16, 2012, 05:09 PM
And potential to harm is no excuse for killing things.

Actually, self defense laws say the threat of potential harm gives a person to use deadly force on another human being....So at times, yes, it is more than an excuse, it is a valid reason.

Weedy
February 16, 2012, 11:07 PM
Actually, self defense laws say the threat of potential harm gives a person to use deadly force on another human being....So at times, yes, it is more than an excuse, it is a valid reason.

I mean potential as in, a bear has teeth so it can potentially harm you. A deer has antlers which could potentially harm you. A coyote could attack your toddler if it wanted to. I'm talking potential to harm versus imminent threat.

What is the "threat of potential harm" anyway? That phrase doesn't really make sense. How could you threaten to potentially harm someone?

allaroundhunter
February 17, 2012, 10:05 AM
What is the "threat of potential harm" anyway? That phrase doesn't really make sense. How could you threaten to potentially harm someone?

A stranger broke into your house with a gun. The threat of being potentially harmed is there, and you do not have to wait until that harm materializes to defend yourself, your family, and your home.

I understand that you could not bring yourself to kill a coyote because it looks like a dog, but many of us do so that you have deer to hunt when the season comes around.

And I actually have to kill feral dogs fairly often. That means dogs that have been pets, many of whose owners have given up on them and just let them go. Once in the wild they breed, become aggressive and do not trust humans.Trust me, these look a lot more like pet dogs than coyotes do. And yes, I kill them even if they aren't harming me at the time. I am a dog lover, but I also understand what it means to protect the well being of other animals that otherwise cannot defend for themselves.

Believe it or not, killing coyotes is another form of conservation, just like the deer that you kill.

Big Bad Bob
February 17, 2012, 10:12 AM
I kill all the yotes and hogs I see. But then again I have a 4 month rifle season for whitetail. If I was in states with much shorter seasons I would possibly think twice. My philosophy is kill em and keep kill em.

And to the granola munchers, who are trolling, coyotes and wild hogs in the Southeast have no natural predator. They are a nuisance species that do major damage to agriculture, livestock and naturally occurring wild game species. It is not only responsible but ethical to eliminate non-natural existing species that have no natural predation, so as not to disturb the ecological balance of a specific wildlife area.

Be unhappy as you may, the circle of life will continue around you whether you like it or not.

Mike1234567
February 17, 2012, 10:46 AM
I really wish folks would stop with the "granola muncher", "troll", and "tree hugger" insults. You can and are making a convincing enough argument without the need such childishness. I'm now convinced enough to do more research but others, who you may alienate with rudeness, are more likely to become more stubborn.

Gregaw
February 17, 2012, 11:35 AM
I've seen several coyotes while out deer hunting. I've not ever shot at one simply because my hunting days are too few to risk scaring off a deer.

tdstout
February 17, 2012, 11:53 AM
My main question is, what's wrong with eatin granola?

Other than that, I've had too many dogs killed by coyotes to feel any kind of sympathy for them. I'll shoot them on sight. And to the guy that was asking about killing something for being able to "potentially harm" you, do you wait for a wasp to sting you, or do you swat it before it gets a chance? You may be different, but most people try to kill wasps on sight. I know that I do.

allaroundhunter
February 17, 2012, 11:56 AM
One of the best moments I ever had while out hunting was watching a coyote for a while before it walked right up to me, looked me in the eyes, and walked away. It never fully knew I was there (I don't think) but it eventually knew something wasn't quite right.

I'm going to completely agree with you here. When I am on the golf course and I see a coyote, I don't even think about shooting it. I am intrigued watching them. I love every aspect of nature (except mosquitos) and watching wildlife is something that I enjoy more out of a hunt than making a shot.

Weedy
February 17, 2012, 12:00 PM
A stranger broke into your house with a gun. The threat of being potentially harmed is there, and you do not have to wait until that harm materializes to defend yourself, your family, and your home.

I understand that you could not bring yourself to kill a coyote because it looks like a dog, but many of us do so that you have deer to hunt when the season comes around.

Someone breaking into your house is quite a bit different than a coyote sniffing around out in the woods. I mean, people can have malicious intent, they can be evil. Coyotes are just trying to find food, they are not capable of evil.

So we kill coyotes to have more deer to hunt, we kill wolves to have more moose and caribou, and we kill sea lions so we have more salmon to catch. How is it that we as humans feel we have the right to kill other species because they are trying to eat their natural prey? We have other food choices (most of us), they do not. And don't try to tell me about animals in the wild killing each other over food, it's not the same thing. And humans do not hold dominion over all animals on earth, that's just something people say as an excuse for factory farming and unnecessary animal suffering.

I really wish folks would stop with the "granola muncher", "troll", and "tree hugger" insults. You can and are making a convincing enough argument without the need such childishnesh. I'm now convinced enough to do more research but others, who you may alienate with rudeness, are more likely to become more stubborn.

+1000000 Mike1234567. Aren't all hunters kind of tree huggers? Are there any hunters that want less trees? I love trees, I love granola, and I don't like drowning puppies, so I guess I am a tree-hugging liberal socialist troll, according to the logic of some.

allaroundhunter
February 17, 2012, 12:12 PM
So we kill coyotes to have more deer to hunt, we kill wolves to have more moose and caribou, and we kill sea lions so we have more salmon to catch. How is it that we as humans feel we have the right to kill other species because they are trying to eat their natural prey? We have other food choices (most of us), they do not. And don't try to tell me about animals in the wild killing each other over food, it's not the same thing. And humans do not hold dominion over all animals on earth, that's just something people say as an excuse for factory farming and unnecessary animal suffering.

If we did not manage the coyote population, you would not get meat for your hamburger....

And yes, actually we do hold dominion over animals, it says so in the bible:
Genesis 1:26
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Carl N. Brown
February 17, 2012, 12:16 PM
Around here, coyotes are an invasive non-native species that infringes on native species and livestock. Much like Russian boars or kudzu. A blindly destructive force.

Weedy
February 17, 2012, 12:17 PM
allaroundhunter, I don't eat beef nor am I a Christian, so neither of your comments apply to me. With that said, I'll let you know that I do respect the rights of others to eat beef and to practice whatever religion they choose. Okay this is really my last post on any ethics thread!!!

Mike1234567
February 17, 2012, 12:23 PM
allaroundhunter... Like I stated earlier I don't have much faith anymore. But if you want to get into Genesis then God assigned mankind "stewardship" of all animal life. He did not allow people to eat animals until the flood when there was no vegetation to eat. Now that we have plenty of vegetation I often wonder why we continue to kill and eat animals. It sure seems like reversion to God's laws prior to the flood is in order. Like I said before, I do eat a little meat. Just not much. If I still had much faith I'd probably become a vegetarian so I would be following what "I understand" to be correct living.

303tom
February 17, 2012, 01:25 PM
Around here, coyotes are an invasive non-native species that infringes on native species and livestock. Much like Russian boars or kudzu. A blindly destructive force.
That is wrong, because they have ranged throughout North and Central America for almost 2 million years, long before we were here............

tdstout
February 17, 2012, 02:04 PM
I love every aspect of nature (except mosquitos) and watching wildlife is something that I enjoy more out of a hunt than making a shot.

You must have never gotten into a bunch of seed ticks or chiggers. That's the one bad thing about Oklahoma, if you plan on walking through brush or even just tall grass, you better be prepared to start itching.

MtnSpur
February 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
How did this evolve into Bible lessons about stewardship? Got me scratchin my head. Oh well I say live and let live.....the coyote that killed my barn cats didn't make out so well, his relatives that molested my livestock....they're singin in "coyote heaven/hell" (pick one). I didn't have the chance to "shoo em away with a bisquit" but rather sent them away on the wings of a .223. Nuff said by this ole sinner.

theicemanmpls
February 17, 2012, 07:27 PM
I hunt a ranch in Texas that requires you to shoot -a coyote,then a hog, and if it's still there, a game animal last! Which I have no problem with.
I have to ask. Are these "game animals" behind a fence? The hogs also?

Just asking.

41 Mag
February 18, 2012, 06:12 AM
Yes to the original question, have done so, and will do so again, if the opportunity presents itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellifino View Post

I have to ask. Are these "game animals" behind a fence? The hogs also?

Just asking.

On the three ranches I hunt on, one of which is my own, yes there are fences as there are around most of the ranches in Texas. Most raise cattle, or did at one time, so the fencing was put up to keep them in check. They are either 5 or 6 strands of barbed wire, and do a pretty good job of keeping most of the cattle in, except when one bull gets it in his head he wants the other bulls cows. Just so ya know.

This said, even on the high fenced ranches, which is what I am guessing your referring to, coyotes and hogs are not usually wanted. Not all high fenced ranches were high fenced to keep the deer in, contrary to what most believe, lots of them were done so to keep unwanted critters out. This said some raise sheep and goats and the like. The one I hunted on for close to ten years, the owner said he wanted every yote, fox, bobcat, or other predator shot on sight. I immediately thought this was a bit over the top until the following spring when his goats had their kids. Initially when we were there getting ready for turkey hunting, there were over 125 kids, about the size of a medium sized dog. Three weeks later, they were down to about 65, then down to 28 the last trip we made up. It then became a bit more clear. Most of them were take by the yotes and foxes, which roamed in and out over a wider area. Some were taken by the local bobcats, and a few by hawks, owls and eagles none of which are legal to kill for any reason. Even so during the whole time I was hunting there, I only saw one yote, and a couple of foxes period. They were there as we heard them every time we were up, but the dense vegetation, made hunting them or even seeing them more or less a chance encounter.

On the places I hunt nowadays, they are only fenced with barbed wire, and have cattle on them. Still on two of them, the owner says hogs and dogs go first period. I don't argue as the price I pay to hunt there is only what ever labor is needed from me during the year to help out when necessary. On my place however, the same rules apply. I have at times shot both hogs, and yotes while deer hunting, and let the deer walk. I have also shot a deer early on a cold morning and while sitting tight in my stand had yotes come in to try to find the downed deer.

There is no shortage of them in any of the areas I hunt, and I seriously doubt that shooting them is, or will ever have, a major impact on them as they are very adaptable and learn very quickly. Usually for every one I see there are half a dozen or more that are not seen, based upon the choir which erupts every night we're up there.

I also know for a fact they are moving into the metro areas of bigger cities and have even seen them here in town where I live. They are opportunists and adapt to their environment to score the easy meals. I can certainly appreciate this fact, but on the other hand, I also know the damage first hand that they do as a whole and do my best to prevent it where/when I can.

Sniderman
February 18, 2012, 07:34 AM
"A bit aggressive about leaving- huffing & barking at me"

Yeah, That would have got him shot.

GJgo
February 18, 2012, 11:39 AM
Man, I started a good one. :D I suspect that I would have been more likely to shoot if I had a long season like in some places, but out here we have a few days to a week. Probably each situation should be held as its own..

sig220mw
February 18, 2012, 01:36 PM
There are way too many coyotes and every land owner I have known has asked me to "please shoot them" if I see them.

splattergun
February 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
No tag, no license required to shoot yotes in UT. Get the dogs out of the neighborhood and the deer will come in. Twice I have killed muleys within a couple hours of shooting a coyote in the same hollow. Your shot on a coyote won't scare a buck away, maybe just make him hole up for a little while.

thecarfarmer
February 21, 2012, 08:22 AM
Yotes can be hunted year round in western WA with either a small game or big game license. They are devastating on the local deer fawns(coastal blacktail), but are tough to get a shot on, in our dense forest's. Most of the yotes I see around here, are in town, illegal to discharge a firearm within city limits (damn!, those crafty yotes). I've got some 110gr handloads for my .300 Savage that I can reach out to three hundred yards with. But have yet to claim a dog with, summers coming though!

Hey Tahoe, good to hear from another Seattle guy! Grew up near Carkeek Park; could hear coyotes in the evenings. But have never seen one. They seemed to have NO desire to interact with humans.

I never thought of them as a nusiance or threat; just a wild animal that was eking out an existance in a small corner of semi-wild habitat.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw a different viewpoint out here: a lot of you guys want to keep the predators beaten back so you have more deer, right? Well, what the heck makes you think deer are so good? They may be an attractive animal (I think they are), but they're certainly a nuisance around here. Get out on the roads and wreck cars - and motorcycles. And as a motorcyclist, those deer are a real threat to my safety while riding. They kill and injure a number of bikers.

And that, my friends, makes this animal a pest. Prettier than a mosquito; less likely to bite me. But, actually more likely to cause me real harm.

So, there's my .02...

-Bill

303tom
February 21, 2012, 09:40 AM
Hey Tahoe, good to hear from another Seattle guy! Grew up near Carkeek Park; could hear coyotes in the evenings. But have never seen one. They seemed to have NO desire to interact with humans.

I never thought of them as a nusiance or threat; just a wild animal that was eking out an existance in a small corner of semi-wild habitat.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw a different viewpoint out here: a lot of you guys want to keep the predators beaten back so you have more deer, right? Well, what the heck makes you think deer are so good? They may be an attractive animal (I think they are), but they're certainly a nuisance around here. Get out on the roads and wreck cars - and motorcycles. And as a motorcyclist, those deer are a real threat to my safety while riding. They kill and injure a number of bikers.

And that, my friends, makes this animal a pest. Prettier than a mosquito; less likely to bite me. But, actually more likely to cause me real harm.

So, there's my .02...

-Bill

Yeah what he said.............

Mike1234567
February 21, 2012, 11:13 AM
Not to mention deer can devastate peoples' gardens. Coyotes don't destroy gardens. :D

allaroundhunter
February 21, 2012, 12:29 PM
Not to mention deer can devastate peoples' gardens.

If deer were devastating our gardens we would either put up an electric fence or get permission to dispatch the nuisance animals.

Mike1234567
February 21, 2012, 02:31 PM
Hey... a couple of us are just turning the tables regarding what animals can be of the nuisance variety. There's always more than one side to an argument. Who's to say that we don't need coyotes to keep nuisance deer populations in check? :)

The above stated, I loathe the idea that carnivores are a cruel part of nature. I like deer much more than coyotes. What I'm alluding to is what a few others have I stated or hinted at... which is... what makes us the authority to decide which animals are killed on sight and which ones are not? :)

allaroundhunter
February 21, 2012, 03:29 PM
Hey... a couple of us are just turning the tables regarding what animals can be of the nuisance variety. There's always more than one side to an argument. Who's to say that we don't need coyotes to keep nuisance deer populations in check?

We definitely need some coyotes, they, being natural predators are a vital part to any ecosystem. I shoot some though, because where I hunt there are too many. Wild pigs, however, are not needed. At all.

To me, a nuisance animal is a nuisance animal, and it is such on an individual basis. It isn't the species that makes it a nuisance, it is what the individual animal does. (but I will be the first to admit that some species have more individual nuisances than others)

Sheepdog1968
February 21, 2012, 03:40 PM
If I'm hunting at my father in laws cabin (which I do frequently) I would shoot the coyote unless I was hot on the trail of a big game animal. We don't need a tag for them and I certainly wouldn't sacrifice a big game tag for a coyote.

If I have paid for a hunt or gone a long distance or am working with a guide, I'd likley pass up on the shot as I've invested money into the hunt and I wouldn't want to reduce my chances at getting what I came for.

A few less predators means a few more young game animals survivie and I would just assume have a few more game animals around.

Mike1234567
February 21, 2012, 04:00 PM
We definitely need some coyotes, they, being natural predators are a vital part to any ecosystem. I shoot some though, because where I hunt there are too many. Wild pigs, however, are not needed. At all.

To me, a nuisance animal is a nuisance animal, and it is such on an individual basis. It isn't the species that makes it a nuisance, it is what the individual animal does. (but I will be the first to admit that some species have more individual nuisances than others)
All that makes complete sense... can't argue with a single word.

Weedy
February 21, 2012, 04:13 PM
Hey... a couple of us are just turning the tables regarding what animals can be of the nuisance variety. There's always more than one side to an argument. Who's to say that we don't need coyotes to keep nuisance deer populations in check?

The above stated, I loathe the idea that carnivores are a cruel part of nature. I like deer much more than coyotes. What I'm alluding to is what a few others have I stated or hinted at... which is... what makes us the authority to decide which animals are killed on sight and which ones are not?

True true true sir.

I said I wouldn't but I'm posting again...it's like an addiciton or something :barf:

Better than being a Facebook addict though :D

EDIT: By the way, where I live (Alexandria, VA) there are deer EVERYWHERE...same when I lived near Baltimore. Maybe a few more Yotes wouldn't be the worst thing, at least around here.

powell&hyde
February 21, 2012, 04:26 PM
Good post Mike1234567

Coyote3855
February 21, 2012, 07:23 PM
"I loathe the idea that carnivores are a cruel part of nature."

Nature isn't cruel, or kind. Nature just is.

Has anyone nominated humans as the nuisance animal of the millenium? I'd rather share the planet with coyotes and wood ticks than some of the folks at the mall.

To stay on topic, I'd not shoot a coyote under most circumstances, unless clearly rabid, injured, or diseased. My dad made it through the Depression trapping coyotes. Paid for winter supply of hay for 60 cows. When times got better, he never killed another one.

303tom
February 22, 2012, 12:49 AM
"I loathe the idea that carnivores are a cruel part of nature."

Nature isn't cruel, or kind. Nature just is.

Has anyone nominated humans as the nuisance animal of the millenium? I'd rather share the planet with coyotes and wood ticks than some of the folks at the mall.

To stay on topic, I'd not shoot a coyote under most circumstances, unless clearly rabid, injured, or diseased. My dad made it through the Depression trapping coyotes. Paid for winter supply of hay for 60 cows. When times got better, he never killed another one.
Straight up....................

warbirdlover
February 22, 2012, 02:06 AM
We kill 'em. They eat all the fawns in the spring. Since the wolves are on the land we don't see many coyotes anymore. But no license needed...

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=159693&stc=1&d=1329890649

plumberroy
February 23, 2012, 09:45 PM
coyotes are fine where the are a native animal, Out west East of the Mississippi they are not native and have no preditors except man. here they kill fawns, foxes ground birds and any other native game they can get plus dogs cats and young/small livestock and poultry. If I see a coyote while I have a weapon on me I am coyote hunting. I developed my own 28 ga round ball slug just to have a yote load while small game hunting
Roy
P.S. deer is our only big game right now ..Hogs are coming and they are worse than yotes but that is another poll :D I was raised on venison I have killed more deer than I can count . Only deer I'm interested in is an eighty pound yearling to eat. the more coyotes I kill the better chance of finding an eater

303tom
February 24, 2012, 12:17 AM
coyotes are fine where the are a native animal, Out west East of the Mississippi they are not native and have no preditors except man. here they kill fawns, foxes ground birds and any other native game they can get plus dogs cats and young/small livestock and poultry. If I see a coyote while I have a weapon on me I am coyote hunting. I developed my own 28 ga round ball slug just to have a yote load while small game hunting
Roy
P.S. deer is our only big game right now ..Hogs are coming and they are worse than yotes but that is another poll :D I was raised on venison I have killed more deer than I can count . Only deer I'm interested in is an eighty pound yearling to eat. the more coyotes I kill the better chance of finding an eater
You are wrong, The coyote or (Canis latrans), also known as the American jackal or the prairie wolf, is a species of canine found throughout North and Central America, ranging from Panama in the south, north through Mexico, the United States and Canada. It occurs as far north as Alaska and all but the northernmost portions of Canada.

redneckrepairs
February 24, 2012, 01:28 AM
If someone hunting MY land passed up a yote they would have to find another place to hunt because they are not going to be hunting on me again .

Art Eatman
February 24, 2012, 07:28 AM
303tom, the wildlife folks have written that coyotes were not known in the eastern US until the 20th century. Early wagon-train folks commented upon the initial sightings of an animal which was new to them as they trekked west of the Mississippi in the 19th century.

JohnD13
February 24, 2012, 11:01 AM
Unless it's in my stand, I'm not wasting a round on it.

jimmyraythomason
February 24, 2012, 11:39 AM
There were NO coyotes here in Alabama before the mid 1970s when fox hunters had some brought in. The plan backfired as the coyote has almost completely displaced the fox. A Birmingham television station even did a report making fun of people who reported seeing one in 1974. I know several cattle farmers who lose calves to them and others who say they have never lost a calf to coyotes. I just wish the coyotes would develop a taste for Canada geese! They are the biggest pest animal here! Oh...and YES I shoot every coyote that gives me the chance!

wombat13
February 24, 2012, 12:24 PM
7 billion chickens are slaughtered annually in the U.S. Add to that millions of cattle, sheep and pigs. And some are upset that hunters kill coyotes to reduce predation on livestock and game animals?

Humans use other organisms for human benefit. It is that simple.

X-Rap
February 24, 2012, 01:08 PM
The best answer I can come up with after following this for a while is this. If you spend a decent amount of days in the field you will get plenty of cracks at coyotes without jacking up your BG season. Take up the hobby of predator calling and you will increase that number greatly.
I have had plenty of shots at coyotes during a BG hunt but not knowing what is over the next rise or coming down the trail keeps me from pulling the trigger on a lowly dog that hasn't even primed out till the late season hunts anyway.
I have no love of them but have done some damage to their population while scouting, fishing, ATV riding all pre or post BG season plus a healthy number taken while calling.

Dr.Rob
February 24, 2012, 06:09 PM
Just a reminder and I can check the statute but in Colorado:

Your deer/elk license is NOT a license to shoot coyotes.

You need a small game license.

AND

IF YOU HAVE FILLED YOUR DEER/ELK/BEAR etc big game tag you may NOT hunt furbearers (ie coyotes) with a rifle over 6mm DURING deer/elk/bear season. This was a specific prohibition to prevent party hunting.

So if you have a small game license and have not filled your big game tag, then you can engage a coyote.

I've passed on plenty of coyotes, one so close I could have smacked on the nose with my rifle barrel. He thought I was a snow covered rock/stump.

CoRoMo
February 24, 2012, 06:54 PM
Your deer/elk license is NOT a license to shoot coyotes.

You need a small game license.
You are mistaken.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf
4. Coyotes: You can hunt coyotes without a smallgame
license during big-game seasons if you have
an unfilled big-game license. You can hunt coyotes
only in the same unit, season and manner of take
as on the big-game license. Once you fill your
big-game license, you must buy a small-game or
furbearer license to hunt coyotes. Harvesting a
coyote does not void your big-game license.
Unless I'm reading that wrong.

plumberroy
February 24, 2012, 08:03 PM
You are wrong, The coyote or (Canis latrans), also known as the American jackal or the prairie wolf, is a species of canine found throughout North and Central America, ranging from Panama in the south, north through Mexico, the United States and Canada. It occurs as far north as Alaska and all but the northernmost portions of Canada.
In the late 70's early 80's I lived in the woods Since I traveled between Ok. and Oh. I knew what a coyote was back then . I saw the first coyote in the area of western Oh. in 82 I was told I was crazy there are no coyote here . Back them you couldn't drive 5 miles down a country road with out a fox crossing the road . I averaged 60 fox a year now I see coyotes often and have seen one fox in the last 3 years

x_wrench
February 26, 2012, 12:22 PM
i have never had the opportunity to hunt for elk. but with michigan white tail deers, a couple of shots will not deter them from coming along the same trail for very long. many, many times i have shot a deer, and had several more come along even with a dead one still laying in the trail. when they notice it is laying there, they get a little freaked out. but by then, i already could have shot them if i had wanted. drag the animal off the trail, and they just keep coming. anyway, we do not tag coyotes here either. just blow their legs out from under them. some people just leave them lay. others sell the hide. but the last few years, it has been a loosing proposition as far as making money from the hyde. most in this area are culled just to lessen predation on the deer. woulkd i shoot one while deer hunting? YOU BET! i would drag it off the trail as far as i reasonably could as well. i HATE how much better animals noses are than ours!

theicemanmpls
February 26, 2012, 10:24 PM
I hunted mule deer in the Sierra Nevada, pheasant in South Dakota, white tail and small game in northern Minnesota.

During the very cold December, and January weather, I called, and shot Coyote. I felt lucky getting them within 100 yards. With a .243 it was not hard to take one.

I have seen coyote during the off season many times. Usually close to or during darkness.

I read all these stories about coyotes walking under the stand, shooting five coyotes in one day while white tail hunting, and other tall tales, I just shake my head.

During all my time in the mountains, plains and woods, I never saw a coyote during fall hunting in the day light. I encountered almost every other animal imaginable, but no coyotes.

During the hunting seasons, the woods are full of a smell. Its man. Coyotes are laying low till evening. Most of the off season, the woods lack this smell. When coyotes are near mans dwellings, its supposed to smell of man. Hope I said this right.

Like I said before, if I seen one during a deer hunt, he walked away. No reason to spook the deer.

ShawnC
February 28, 2012, 03:49 AM

So, there's my .02...

-Bill

You needn't worry...we shoot deer too...

theicemanmpls
February 28, 2012, 12:42 PM
i have never had the opportunity to hunt for elk. but with michigan white tail deers, a couple of shots will not deter them from coming along the same trail for very long. many, many times i have shot a deer, and had several more come along even with a dead one still laying in the trail. when they notice it is laying there, they get a little freaked out. but by then, i already could have shot them if i had wanted. drag the animal off the trail, and they just keep coming. anyway, we do not tag coyotes here either. just blow their legs out from under them. some people just leave them lay. others sell the hide. but the last few years, it has been a loosing proposition as far as making money from the hyde. most in this area are culled just to lessen predation on the deer. woulkd i shoot one while deer hunting? YOU BET! i would drag it off the trail as far as i reasonably could as well. i HATE how much better animals noses are than ours!
we do not tag coyotes here either. just blow their legs out from under them. some people just leave them lay.

Let me try and understand this. In your neck of the woods, people shoot to wound coyotes and just leave them to suffer?

Mike1234567
February 28, 2012, 01:05 PM
we do not tag coyotes here either. just blow their legs out from under them. some people just leave them lay.
Let me try and understand this. In your neck of the woods, people shoot to wound coyotes and just leave them to suffer?

I think his post was a bit poorly-worded. I don't think he meant he would intentionally wound and let them suffer... just kill all he finds and leave them where they lay. At least I hope that's what he meant. To "shoot one's legs out from under them" is an old saying not to be taken literally... again, I hope.:)

allaroundhunter
February 28, 2012, 01:06 PM

No, they don't. It is a figure of speech. They are killed and left there to be disposed of by natural means.

theicemanmpls
February 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
Thank you.

MtnSpur
February 29, 2012, 02:20 PM
They are killed and left there to be disposed of by natural means.

Mother Nature does a wonderful job of disposing of the remains.

Mike1234567
February 29, 2012, 03:00 PM
It's interesting how Mother Nature is so great when it suits our wants but she so horrible (or too inconvenient) when she doesn't.

plumberroy
February 29, 2012, 09:04 PM
It's interesting how Mother Nature is so great when it suits our wants but she so horrible (or too inconvenient) when she doesn't.

Mother Nature is great, it is when man thinks he knows more and starts moving critters from the area she put 'em to areas were they think that critter should live . Or changes the habitat to artificially increase there numbers beyond what nature intended messes up the mix . Or kills of a key critter. in the mix is when things get screwed up.

Mike1234567
February 29, 2012, 09:37 PM
Mother Nature is great, it is when man thinks he knows more and starts moving critters from the area she put 'em to areas were they think that critter should live . Or changes the habitat to artificially increase there numbers beyond what nature intended messes up the mix . Or kills of a key critter. in the mix is when things get screwed up.

I agree. And I'm not trying to be a SOB. What about killing off coyotes to leave more deer for us? I'm just playing Devil's advocate regarding respecting Mother Nature's "ways" when she suits our wants and hypocritically working against her as it suits our wants. After all she (or God) created coyotes and their ways too. Why must we be so hypocritical in justifying our needs/wants/comfort?

Let's just agree that we adjust our world, working AGAINST Mother Nature, to make ourselves happy and comfortable. I'm not criticizing that concept... just criticizing hiding behind other agenda to justify or soften it. I'm just saying tell it like it is. We take what we want and mold our surroundings, including the killing of Mother Natures animals, to suit our wants/needs/comfort. Pretty simple.

allaroundhunter
February 29, 2012, 10:21 PM
I agree. And I'm not trying to be a SOB. What about killing off coyotes to leave more deer for us? I'm just playing Devil's advocate regarding respecting Mother Nature's "ways" when she suits our wants and hypocritically working against her as it suits our wants. After all she (or God) created coyotes and their ways too. Why must we be so hypocritical in justifying our needs/wants/comfort?

Would you agree that us hunting coyotes and being predators would be us fitting into our environment, just as the coyote hunting and being a predator is its way of fitting into its environment? It is our way of keeping our food plentiful, and the need for food is common to every living thing in nature. The difference is, we are not trying to make the coyote extinct, we are merely trying to limit their population, we are trying to be conservationists. The coyotes wouldn't understand what they were doing if they were to hunt rabbits or another type of game to extinction, they are just filling their need for food. In other words, we know when we need to stop to have a balanced ecosystem, the coyote doesn't.

Mike1234567
February 29, 2012, 10:33 PM
Would you agree that us hunting coyotes and being predators would be us fitting into our environment, just as the coyote hunting and being a predator is its way of fitting into its environment? It is our way of keeping our food plentiful, and the need for food is common to every living thing in nature. The difference is, we are not trying to make the coyote extinct, we are merely trying to limit their population, we are trying to be conservationists. The coyotes wouldn't understand what they were doing if they were to hunt rabbits or another type of game to extinction, they are just filling their need for food. In other words, we know when we need to stop to have a balanced ecosystem, the coyote doesn't.

Yes, I agree with all of what you wrote. You, unlike many, just tell it like it is. While I don't necessarily agree with all you do... I can respect it if you tell it like it is. I understand that you may not agree with all I do... but I'm pretty tame and straight and I'm no coward.

allaroundhunter
February 29, 2012, 10:39 PM
Yes, I agree with all of what you wrote. You, unlike many, just tell it like it is. While I don't necessarily agree with all you do... I can respect it if you tell it like it is. I understand that you may not agree with all I do... but I'm pretty tame and straight and I'm no coward.

Everyone is not always going to agree. I just wish people were more understanding of those that have other opinions. I also wish many people weren't so hard headed and willing to listen to other points of view.....but again, that is just a wish :rolleyes:

I respect your opinions, Mike, and as you said, we might not agree 100% of the time, totally fine by me!

If everyone could just agree to disagree sometimes, the world really would be a better place.

Hunter125
February 29, 2012, 10:41 PM
I hunt on a friend's property and he has a standing order on coyotes. They have had a pretty big impact on the deer there. I was there a couple years ago with a couple new guys. One came back in and told a story about a coyote that had walked under his stsnd and the owner got after him for not killing it.
Around my house I will shoot them no matter what. I'm not chancing one going after my 2 year old. I saw one chase my rott/lab mix back up to the house at 10 am one day.

Mike1234567
February 29, 2012, 10:46 PM
Around my homestead I'd be killing them too. That's just too invasive especially with kids around.

Ridgerunner665
February 29, 2012, 11:14 PM
Coyotes are "year round, no limit" here in TN...no tags required, just a plain old hunting license (I don't think landowners even need that)

This is how every one I see ends up...he looks pretty good considering a 180 grain 30-06 bullet went through his shoulders...the other side doesn't look so good, LOL. He walked out of the swamp late one evening and just sat down looking over the field...I hope he enjoyed it because it was the last thing he ever saw.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/1226111623.jpg

I've probably killed at least 150 in the last 20 years, many of them while deer hunting or scouting. I got this one while deer hunting this past season. In my experience, a single rifle shot doesn't spook deer..at least not the ones around home. They are somewhat used to gunfire...there is a lot of that going on around my place.

303tom
March 1, 2012, 10:14 AM
Man without a weapon is NOT, at the top of the food chain............

wombat13
March 1, 2012, 10:25 AM
I would disagree. Man's intelligence gives him the capability to make and use weapons. It is his intelligence that places him at the top of the food chain.

allaroundhunter
March 1, 2012, 12:01 PM

A man's intelligence is what gives him the edge and puts him at the top of the food chain. Just as a coyote's intelligence allows it to be higher on the food chain. Such a small animal would not be able to be so effective in hunting if it weren't as intelligent as it is.

So saying man without weapons would be like saying a coyote (or any other predatory animal) without a brain, thereby, there would be no food chain at all.

Mike1234567
March 1, 2012, 01:47 PM
I don't hunt so I must be at amoeba level in the food chain. :D

I've yet to see any coyotes in my area but a couple neighbors say they have. Two neighbors' (that I know of) have small pets missing but no one knows what happened to them. I've seen several dead coyotes on the highway about 4-5 miles away as the crow flies.

If I see any around here I'll shoot 'em but I have to be exceedingly careful. None of us are on more than two acres so our homes are pretty close together.

I'm undecided about what firearm to use in my situation... either a .22WMR with Hornady 30gr V-Max or a .410 bore shotgun with #4 buckshot. I want an effective round and ZERO ricochets. It's all sandy soil here so that helps but I could hit a rock or other hard object.

allaroundhunter
March 1, 2012, 03:36 PM
I'm undecided about what firearm to use in my situation... either a .22WMR with Hornady 30gr V-Max or a .410 bore shotgun with #4 buckshot. I want an effective round and ZERO ricochets. It's all sandy soil here so that helps but I could hit a rock or other hard object.

The greater chance of ricochet would be with the .410 buckshot, but even that is just a remote possibility. Depending on the range to the coyote, the .22 WMR would probably be what I would grab.

Mike1234567
March 1, 2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I've been leaning toward the .22 WMR. I considered a .17 HMR but I suspect the WMR is a little more effective on coyote-sized critters.

In my area I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting farther than about 70 yards... maybe less... or maybe a little more if the land slopes enough to give me a safe backstop.

Hypothetically, if I was hunting deep in the sticks, whether I shoot a coyote or not would depend on how invasive they are. If their population is well-balanced then, no, I wouldn't shoot it. If they've become overly populated and/or are diseased then, yes, I'd kill all I saw.

plumberroy
March 1, 2012, 07:43 PM
I'm not so worried about deer as stuff like foxes ground game birds rabbits deer fall under us changing habitat to artificially increase numbers. I also don't hate a coyote for being a coyote being non-native they affect the balance. I like seeing foxes and rabbits and such . Heavy hunting for hides in the 70's didn't reduce fox numbers near as much as coyotes have .When I hunted out west I shot them because I got $30-$40 each for the hides (loooooong time ago ) and if I lived or hunted out there I would not shoot every one I saw because they are native . the problem coming that it going to dwarf the coyote problem is feral hogs They are smarter eat more thing and destoy bunches of stuff finding food
Roy

Mike1234567
March 1, 2012, 07:55 PM
Yeah... FN feral hogs. If I was a hunter I'd kill 'em all as humanely as possible. And make LOTS of FN bacon!!

303tom
March 1, 2012, 11:47 PM
A man's intelligence is what gives him the edge and puts him at the top of the food chain. Just as a coyote's intelligence allows it to be higher on the food chain. Such a small animal would not be able to be so effective in hunting if it weren't as intelligent as it is.

So saying man without weapons would be like saying a coyote (or any other predatory animal) without a brain, thereby, there would be no food chain at all.
That is the response I was looking for....................

ritepath
March 2, 2012, 12:39 AM
Putting coyotes down is always job one.

Countryboy7
March 2, 2012, 12:47 AM
I would shoot it. Around here they are a big problem.

charlie echo
March 2, 2012, 12:50 AM
I'd kill for meat, to control pests, and to save life. Killing animals for entertainment, solely, ain't my thing. I could careless about any non-practical trophies vs. an animal. Trophy vs a fair sporting contest vs a consenting human -- that, such as boxing, is something to be proud of.

If I had the tag (lawful right) and knew it to be a serious pest problem for my & friends' land than yes: bang.

CountryUgly
March 3, 2012, 03:05 PM
I'll shoot the yote every time. I don't pick them up till I'm done waiting on the deer cause I have shot the coyote and the deer on the same trip but if I spook the deer so what it just gives me an excuse to head back into the woods the next day, " Sorry hunny but I had to shoot the pesky coyote and it scared my deer off now I gotta get back out there tomorrow and get the deer".....hehehe...hope my wife doesn't read this....

Art Eatman
March 3, 2012, 05:31 PM
Hokay. Nuff wanderin'...

If you enjoyed reading about "If you were hunting big game & came across a coyote.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!