Kimber

PDA

tcsnake
February 13, 2012, 02:45 AM
My question is how do you like YOUR kimber 1911? i JUST GOT MY cdp ii fullsized AND LOVE IT!

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
csa77
February 13, 2012, 07:06 AM
I love mine. its a classic stainless target Iv sorta lost the round count on it but its got around 4-4.5k rounds thought it, maybe more. the only failures its ever had are 2 stovepipes.

its accurate
its reliable
nice 2 stage trigger
easy to use adjustable sights(the rear sight is a little large but works great)

scaatylobo
February 13, 2012, 09:07 AM
I have a CDP II and just got a Super Carry Custom and that is even better,

Both shoot well and no recoil compared to the Glock .40's that I edc.

Thinking about going to the Super Carry Custom as an EDC.

jmr40
February 13, 2012, 09:47 AM
Have had a Classic II for 7-8 years. Very accurate and has run perfectly for me.

Rob G
February 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
My Kimber TLE II is my never sell gun. It's smooth, accurate, 100% reliable and fits perfectly in my hand. On my last range trip I was hitting a 3' by 2' metal plate at 130 yards with it no problems. Shot 30 rounds at the target, and hit with 29 of them. I'd call that good.

My wife has a compact cdp II that she carries. She's only put a couple hundred rounds through it. (Just enough to verify that Hydrashocks won't jam it) but she said it was awesome. I've been trying to find an excuse to borrow it for a range trip.

chez323
February 13, 2012, 12:33 PM
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j426/chez323/DSC00517.jpg

My opinion just might be slightly biased but I too love mine! :)

M2 Carbine
February 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I like all five of them.:)
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/kimbercollection-1.jpg

I even like the cheap inaccurate one.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/KimberUltraCarry10yds7shts1hole.jpg

Leviathan5964
February 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
Still have my Kimber Custom Classic (series I). Paid $700.00 for it. Never so much as a burp.

Valkman
February 13, 2012, 06:40 PM
I have 3 and love 'em. My Compact CDP is my CCW gun, and I also have a Compact Custom and a Stainless Tartget II in 10mm.

EddieNFL
February 13, 2012, 08:13 PM
Custom Eclipse - Love it. 30K rounds and two failures (one mag and one ammo related).

Tactical Custom - Sucked. Extractor and timing issues. Paid to have it repaired and sold at a loss.

Ultra Raptor - Luke warm. Corrected a couple of problems that should have never existed. Reliable for 2K now. Will probably sell and move on.

Ala Dan
February 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
LUV my 3" Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II .45 ACP; trouble-free from day one,
dating back to 2006~! ;) :)

jbkebert
February 13, 2012, 11:06 PM
Kimber Stainless II love it. Approx 2.5K only one hiccup with a brand new mag I bought a few weeks ago. Surprised it was a Wilson but has worked fine ever since.

Winkman822
February 13, 2012, 11:27 PM
Of the Kimbers I've owned, none have really thrilled me that way my Wilson CQB or Springfield TRP do. I've owned an Eclipse Target II, a Royal II and a Desert Warrior. The Eclipse was picky about mags and ammo (would only run properly with 7 round Wilson Combat #47 mags and didn't feet many JHPs other than Federal Hydra Shok); The Royal II took two trips back to Kimber to correct the Series II safety which often wouldn't disengage properly resulting in a trigger squeeze and a click instead of a trigger squeeze and a boom; The Desert Warrior was pretty good, but for as slippery as the Kim Pro II finish is (and for the price) it ought to have a nice checkered frontstrap from the factory in addition to some more aggressive G10 grips (I ended up with Strider Gunners on mine). What I will say of the Kimbers is that they all had nice slide to frame fits, good lockup and they all look nice. Function wise, none of them quite made muster to make it as a carry peice for me. I've simply stuck with my tried and true Springfield TRP and Wilson CQB with my Colt CCO and Springfield EMP thrown in when I need a lightweight alloy framed pistol.

Tomcat47
February 13, 2012, 11:38 PM
When I go to sleep at night....I count Eclipse's until I fall asleep! ;)

Then I dream of them..........

Nice SIS Chez...!

dcarch
February 13, 2012, 11:46 PM
My Custom II has been flawless since day one.

needmorecowbell
February 14, 2012, 12:36 AM
Love my custom II. Hope to have one of the carry models some day too.

gpjoe
February 14, 2012, 07:33 AM
I'm confident enough in the performance of my Ultra CDP II that I carry it every day, filled with 185gr +P Corbon DPX.

Stasher1
February 14, 2012, 09:12 AM
My pre-Series II Pro CDP was a great gun. My Stainless Pro Carry II was the biggest POS I've ever had the misfortune of owning. Numerous problems resulting in failures to feed, failure to return to battery, premature slide stop engagement, poorly sized/fitted parts, parts breakage, etc.

I'll never own another one.

This kind of "quality" is completely unacceptable on a carry gun:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/18030CMC_mag_catch.jpg

Winkman822
February 14, 2012, 09:51 AM
My pre-Series II Pro CDP was a great gun. My Stainless Pro Carry II was the biggest POS I've ever had the misfortune of owning. Numerous problems resulting in failures to feed, failure to return to battery, premature slide stop engagement, poorly sized/fitted parts, parts breakage, etc.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/18030CMC_mag_catch.jpg
That's a lovely busted mag catch you have there...I also learned my lesson after three Kimbers, don't buy another one.

jim243
February 14, 2012, 01:04 PM
Let me think, love it, it is the only one I own, matter of fact, it is the only 1911 I own, never a problem.

Jim

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/IMG_1224.jpg

MrBill120
February 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
Gander Mtn has the "Ultra CDP II" in their sales cirular for $899. Is this a good price?

ApacheCoTodd
February 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
I've never had a more accurate nor more dependable 1911 than my Kimbers but they're Det-1 guns so I expect nothing less from them. I feel for the fellas who've had failures outa line with the cost and perceived reputations though.

gpjoe
February 15, 2012, 07:29 AM
Gander Mtn has the "Ultra CDP II" in their sales cirular for $899. Is this a good price?

Yes.

PcolaDawg
February 15, 2012, 11:40 AM
Love mine. Ultra Crimson Carry II, and I carry that with me more than any other gun.

rbernie
February 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
My Stainless Pro Carry II was the biggest POS I've ever had the misfortune of owning. Numerous problems resulting in failures to feed, failure to return to battery, premature slide stop engagement, poorly sized/fitted parts, parts breakage, etc.

Concur. But I have to ask - when was this?

bam
February 15, 2012, 11:58 AM
I just got a Custom Stainless II last week and so far I have put around 350-400 rounds through it. This is my 1st 1911 and I am beyond stoked about it's performance!

piece of meat
February 15, 2012, 02:18 PM
lol i never know what to think about kimbers..

literally 50% of the reviewers say theirs is great, never had an issue.

the other 50% say theirs were total pieces of crap.

Stasher1
February 15, 2012, 02:23 PM
Concur. But I have to ask - when was this?

I bought it brand new on my anniversary, 10/11/02.

Casefull
February 15, 2012, 05:36 PM
literally 50% of the reviewers say theirs is great, never had an issue.

the other 50% say theirs were total pieces of crap. 2 out of 29 posts does not equal 50% negative. About 5% is closer. I have 4 kimber 1911s and 2 rifles purchased over the last 10 years. They are all great guns and I am a very picky person. I recently bought a wilson combat to see what I was missing. The answer is not much. The wilson is a fine pistol but for the money the difference over my kimbers is very,very, small. Everyone gets bad guns from time to time and the companies should make it right for the dollars involved. I also believe their is a substantial amount of ignorance concerning firearms that explains at least half of the complaints we see on the forums. When you say you will never have something that 95 % of other consumers love, the odds are not in your favor as to being an objective critic.
BTW just received eclipse 10mm and no hiccups and shoots just like the older models.

JackCrow
February 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
Love mine.
CDP II Pro.

AFK
February 15, 2012, 07:07 PM
Love mine. My Stainleass Target II is a sweet reliable shooter and my wife's .22 Rimfire is just as good. I also have relatives and friends that own Kimber's, some even with the external extractor, and they all work great. I will surely buy another. I've been eyeing a CDP II

rbernie
February 15, 2012, 08:51 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=6252654

Stasher1
February 15, 2012, 10:15 PM
2 out of 29 posts does not equal 50% negative. About 5% is closer. I have 4 kimber 1911s and 2 rifles purchased over the last 10 years. They are all great guns and I am a very picky person. I recently bought a wilson combat to see what I was missing. The answer is not much. The wilson is a fine pistol but for the money the difference over my kimbers is very,very, small. Everyone gets bad guns from time to time and the companies should make it right for the dollars involved. I also believe their is a substantial amount of ignorance concerning firearms that explains at least half of the complaints we see on the forums. When you say you will never have something that 95 % of other consumers love, the odds are not in your favor as to being an objective critic.
BTW just received eclipse 10mm and no hiccups and shoots just like the older models.

I've owned six 1911's so far, from a bone-stock ORM 1991A1 to a full custom Combat Elite bowling pin gun. Ignorance and/or lack of experience with the platform definitely not the cause with my feelings for Kimber products. My "ignorance" didn't machine the mag catch hole in the frame oversized. My "ignorance" didn't forget to radius the Series II FPS plunger in the slide causing numerous failures to return to battery until it was removed. My "ignorance" didn't cause the mag catch to snap in half. My "ignorance" didn't forget to radius the chamber mouth so brass would catch on it and not make it into the chamber.

When a "carry" model is incapable of making it thru a 200rd range session without a failure while the other guns on the table coast through it just fine, the problem isn't operator error or ignorance. I paid $697 for the gun and then put another $700+ into it in an attempt to make it reliable enough to carry every day. Unfortunately, it never made it to that point.

February 15, 2012, 10:45 PM
My question is how do you like YOUR kimber 1911?

I have three Ed Browns, two Dan Wessons and two Kimbers with no plans to get rid of the Kimbers ... they're great pistols. Here's my Tactical Entry II which I use in USPSA matches and it's excellent both in terms of reliability and accuracy. I like it so much that I plan to send it out for an ion bond finish since the factory finish is starting to show quite a bit of holster wear on the slide. I also plan on adding Heinie straight eight sights to make it faster to shoot during matches. I primarily use it for matches but would absolutely trust my life to it with any .45 Auto ammunition.

http://thr.mcmxi.org/pistols/kimber/teii/photos/teii_01.jpg

rbernie
February 15, 2012, 11:52 PM
I bought it brand new on my anniversary, 10/11/02That is pretty much what I expected. Kimber clearly went through a period when they missed the mark on their MIM QC, and many folk paid the price for that in terms of getting guns that simply broke small parts like mag catches and slide stops and such...

I've been lucky; my first Kimber was bought in 2004 or so, and since that time I've owned a number of Kimbers without a single mechanical failure. I have every reason to believe, based upon my experience and the experience of those around me, that the current crop of Kimbers are solid pistols.

Geckgo
February 16, 2012, 12:03 AM
Black on Black Pro Carry II. Sometimes I fondle it when the wife isn't looking :D

lono
February 16, 2012, 12:23 AM
I have STI, DoubleStar, Kimber and Sig 1911s, also had a springfield. I like my Kimber raptor I did have the thumb safety break on the strong side. I called Kimber and they sent me a new one that day. No complaints with Kimber.

Casefull
February 17, 2012, 11:40 AM
I paid $697 for the gun and then put another $700+ into it in an attempt to make it reliable enough to carry every day. You obviously had a defective pistol and whoever works on your guns is screwing you and or does not know what they are doing. I think you proved my point that irritated you in the first place. Why would you spend that kind of money? Have someone that knows 1911's check it out. Some old guy like me at the range can point you in the right direction for free. Take care.

RH45
February 20, 2012, 12:01 AM
I bought a Pro Elite, in .45 for my wife, several years ago. She ALMOST didn't get it for Christmas because I like it so much. I can't comment too much about reliability on the Pro Elite. I doubt we've put 200 rounds through it.
A friend of mine bought an old Pro-Carry, in .40, 10-12 years ago, and something wasn't quite right with the fit-up of the barrel. He sent it to Kimber for repair, and sold it to me as soon as it came back.I don't know how many thousands of rounds I've put through it, but, it's never missed a beat!:p
I've heard about a lot of Kimber issues, over the last few years, but, fell in love with the SOLO, and HAD to buy one. I pick it up Tuesday. Hopefully, Kimber has all the bugs worked out!
Now, I need to find a reasonably priced set of Crimson Trace Laser grips for the SOLO, and maybe a few spare mags.:banghead:

rodinal220
February 20, 2012, 01:38 PM
I have a Series I Custom Classic.It has been very reliable with ball and 200gr LSWC.Very accurate and a usable 4.5lb trigger pull.I have been shooting this 1911 more to see how the MIM parts hold up.Seems the older Limbers like mine seem to fair better than the newer ones.The switch from an internal extractor to an external one did not fair too well and Kimber went back to the JMB system.
I would only buy another one if the price was right,other wise there are better options for the same money.

Steve H
February 20, 2012, 01:48 PM
I've had an Ultra CDP II for about 3 - 4 years now. Great gun.

skt239
February 20, 2012, 02:28 PM
I owned two Kimbers over the years, one stainless pro carry and one ultra carry, stainless as well. Both were awful and so was Kimbers customer service. Those were my first and last 1911's after that debacle ended I never wanted to see another 1911 again. My wife loves 1911's so I'm sure I'll end up with another but it certainly won't be a Kimber.

hestes
February 21, 2012, 10:45 PM
LOL, this is the 3rd Kimber based thread I have responded in tonight...needless to say, I'm a fan. I have a Ultra Carry II in .45 and a Solo as my smaller carry gun. I used to carry an LCP for my smaller carry gun, but it's been permanently replaced. :)

hogrdr
February 22, 2012, 10:01 AM
love mine cdp pro. raptor ultra, stainless target 2, super carry pro, eclipse 10mm.

klmmicro
February 22, 2012, 10:22 AM
I am a new owner of a Custom II and have no complaints so far. 600 rounds with two failures, but that was "stock magazine" related in the first 50 rounds. Retired that magazine to the dust bin and not a hiccup since with Wilson's. The pistol is as accurate as I am and I like it.

skt239
February 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
I am a new owner of a Custom II and have no complaints so far. 600 rounds with two failures, but that was "stock magazine" related in the first 50 rounds. Retired that magazine to the dust bin and not a hiccup since with Wilson's. The pistol is as accurate as I am and I like it.

When I bought my first Kimber and started having issues, I was shocked to hear their CS rep tell me NOT to use Kimber magazines in my Kimber handgun. He told me to instead use Mcormick mags. Why not strike a deal with Mcormick and ship those with the gun? Oh yeah, because it's cheaper for Kimber to let me deal with it.

diesel
October 25, 2012, 04:03 AM
i have a new kimber custom2 mfg date 11-11-2011 and i just got it broke in. i love this gun but i did have 1 problem with it,premature slide stops. i called kimber and they are sending me a new slide stop with a detent. i also went ahead and ordered a wilson combat bullet proof slide stop so i will keep the new kimber part for a spare. ive seen that alot of people are having problems with kimber slide stops and most of them used a wilson as a replacement and it fixed the problem. other than that, its rock solid

coop2564
October 25, 2012, 12:28 PM
I love my 10mm target II.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/coop2564/Snapbucket/79BC001E.jpg

g_one
October 25, 2012, 01:54 PM
I love my 10mm target II.

What lb recoil spring do you use? And do you shoot hot loads or the standard stuff? I ask because I'm pretty sure the Dan Wesson RZ10 isn't going to be available by the time I save up the money, and a 10mm Kimber Target or Eclipse is my backup plan.

dusty14u
October 25, 2012, 07:29 PM
My first 1911 was a Raptor and it has been great for about 4 yrs now. In fact, I ran another 100rds through it this afternoon. Beautiful gun and a keeper.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa119/dusty14u/shooter/GEDC0480.jpg

Coop45
October 25, 2012, 08:09 PM
Black on Black Pro Carry II. Sometimes I fondle it when the wife isn't looking :D

Mine is a stainless series 1 and my wife knows how I feel about it. LOL!

J.R.W.
October 25, 2012, 08:46 PM
My Tactical Pro II has been flawless. I bought it used in '08 and stopped counting after 7k rounds. The slide to frame fit has loosened a bit but the reliability has not. I bought a Springfield Loaded Champion to replace it a couple years back but ended up selling the SA because I couldn't shoot it as well. I can't comment on the customer service as I've never needed it.

orionengnr
October 25, 2012, 09:01 PM
Well, I (we) have had eight so far (I'm a serial owner--can't afford to own them all...at least, not at the same time). The oldest ones were a pre-Series II Stainless LE and a pre-Series II Ultra CDP (one of the very few guns I actually regret selling).

We currently own two, a well-worn, well-used Ecllipse Pro II and the wife's Ultra CDP II. Just like the six before them, they work perfectly. I wouldn't keep buying them if they didn't. I would trust any of them with my life. As a matter of fact, I do...daily. :)

RoboDuck
October 25, 2012, 10:15 PM
My Royal II and CDP have both ran flawless. I have over 3500 rounds through the Royal .

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/rickntenn/inventory012.jpg

Vern Humphrey
November 7, 2012, 01:54 PM
Still have my Kimber Custom Classic (series I). Paid $700.00 for it. Never so much as a burp.
Same here. I've put literally tens of thousands of handloads through mine since I got it around '95.

Blue68f100
November 7, 2012, 04:03 PM
I have a SS Ultra Carry II TLE w/CT that has been flawless from day one. Has a very nice 4.25# trigger. Have put almost 3k rounds through it in 1 1/2 years. Very accurate gun.

76shuvlinoff
November 8, 2012, 10:37 PM
My nightstand guardian Raptor II, never a hiccup. I also have the Kimber .22 conversion for it that is simply a ball punching paper, tin cans or thinning the over abundant bunny population around here.

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr123/76shuvlinoff/000_0580.jpg

mljdeckard
November 9, 2012, 02:58 AM
My Custom II is the best handgun I have ever owned. I would carry it to war tomorrow. I might be buried with it. I don't dare say it has NEVER malfunctioned, but it's been so long I can't remember when or how. Several of my close friends and family members bought them and have never had a serious problem. My best friend's wife shot his, and immediately demanded that he get her a stainless one. (Which he did.) My dad bought a Springfield Mil-Spec, because he wanted to go cheap, and was upset when I pointed out to him that by the time he cut a dovetail for better sights and had it reblued, and got better magazines, he would be in Kimber price range anyway. He wished he had bought the Kimber.

I also have a Para I bought as a commemorative for my deployment, and I'm still tweaking it to make it run right.

nortncom
November 9, 2012, 07:49 AM
I too love my Kimber. This gun has been flawless in operation since I acquired it two years ago as a Christmas present. It is a series 1 Gold Combat. Here are some pictures.

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w377/nortncom/174.jpg

Rinspeed
November 10, 2012, 12:25 PM
Both my Kimbers are very accurate and 100% reliable, they were both made in the 90's.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/Kimber-9.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/Kimber-7.jpg

Rittmeister
November 10, 2012, 06:14 PM
I have a Classic Custom bought in 2001. Not a Clackamas gun, I think it's got a Yonkers stamp on it.

It's my favorite gun. I've had a few other 1911s and sold them all but kept this one. I use it with McCormick mags and have basically had no issues. It doesn't jam and it's more accurate than I am...

AZGlock13
November 10, 2012, 06:41 PM
I really like my two Kimbers. They are keepers for sure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/AZGlock13/Kimber/Kimber_Gold_Match_II_002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/AZGlock13/Kimber/Kimber_Super_Carry_Pro_HD_002.jpg

TheFineLine
December 10, 2012, 12:50 PM
First post here! Many more to come.

I bought a Kimber Ultra Carry II stainless in '07. It was my first firearm. It had a FTF about once every other magazine. I read that they had a break-in period of 500rds so I bought 3 other mags (wilson, colt, kimber) and 500 rounds of various ammo and had a day at the range. The failures stopped at about the 400th round. I've put 4,000+ more rounds through it since then and it has performed flawlessly. I just did my CHL renewal and had a perfect score with it. I'm as accurate with it as I am with 5 inch barrels. I got the gun bug and after getting a Springfield XDM 45, a Glock 40, a S&W629, LCP, Rossi 68, Kahr 45, and a Bersa 380, the Kimber is still my favorite handgun. The XDM a close second, followed by the 629, and the LCP sees alot of use since it's so light but the Kimber, well, she was my first!

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/tomhall75/n566235737_1029506_5024.jpg

SwampWolf
December 10, 2012, 02:01 PM
Firstly, welcome to The High Road, TheFineLine! I'm sure you'll learn a lot and I'm looking forward to your inputs.
In using the various magazines in your Kimber, have you found some brands to be more reliable than others? If so, which are your favorites?

Ankeny
December 10, 2012, 03:27 PM
Had an early Gold Match. Had failure to go into battery issues. Sent it back to Kimber twice. The second time around they checkered the front strap for free as an apology. But, it still had feed problems. I sent the gun to the late Brian Bilby. Turned out the chamber was a bit out of spec and eccentric to the bore. He chucked it up and cleaned up the chamber.

Second Kimber was a CDP Pro Carry II. Not a problem what-so-ever. Great gun.

Third Kimber was a Pro Ageis. Gun ran great. Another good gun, or so I thought. Then hammer/sear issues reared their ugly head.

There will not be a Kimber number four.

TheFineLine
December 10, 2012, 03:37 PM
Firstly, welcome to The High Road, TheFineLine! I'm sure you'll learn a lot and I'm looking forward to your inputs.
In using the various magazines in your Kimber, have you found some brands to be more reliable than others? If so, which are your favorites?
Well thank you Sir! I've really come to love shooting sports over the last few years. I've learned alot from surfing the online forums. I came across a guy mentioning TheHighRoad over on akfiles and how he would get better technical advice here. So I checked it out and signed up!!

In contrast to what I've read about them the Kimber mags I have have worked just fine. The Wilson's haven't given me any problems, but I don't particularly like the extension on the bottom. The others are all flat but Wilson has that 1/4 inch piece sticking out past the bottom. For a carry gun I don't want anything sticking out that doesn't have to be there. The colt mag is terrible. The spring is way too strong and the slide has failed to push the round out of the mag a bunch. I ran 100 rounds thru it, and then left it loaded for 2 years, tried it again and same problem, so it just sits there now as a just in case mag. So I usually have a Kimber mag loaded with a Kimber and a wiison as a backup..

340PD
December 10, 2012, 03:38 PM
Ultra CDP II for a number of years. Never a problem. That 3" Kimber shoots right with my Ed Brown Cobra Karry. I even bought a replacement/backup recoil spring assembly and haven't needed it yet.

One thing I did do, is replace all the mag followers with Wilson rounded ones. The early Kimber ones had steel followers that tended to chip the alloy frame of the gun. Rounded ones solved that issue. A low cost fix from Wilson Combat.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/UltraCarryCDPII.jpg

otasan56
December 10, 2012, 03:58 PM
I have NEVER heard a bad word about Kimber autopistols, and I have been shooting combat pistols since 1974. I have seen many things come and go, but the Kimbers stay near the top of my list.

MrBill120
December 11, 2012, 11:45 PM
Is there a big carry difference between a 5" vs a 4" barrel?

What about between the 4" and a 3"???

Vern Humphrey
December 12, 2012, 10:44 AM
I've carried a full-size M1911 for many years, and never found the longer slide to be a disadvantage when carrying.

The M
December 12, 2012, 11:57 AM
Is there a big carry difference between a 5" vs a 4" barrel?

What about between the 4" and a 3"???

For me when I ride my motorcycle the longer guns poke into my seat, whereas the short model is perfect. I thought I would see an accuracy difference with the short sight radius, but nope it's still awesome.

SwampWolf
December 12, 2012, 01:40 PM
I have NEVER heard a bad word about Kimber autopistols

Have you read this thread? Do a "search" on Kimber pistols if you want to hear about the good-and the bad. I have never owned one and have no position either way and though I've heard mostly good words regarding Kimber pistols, I have also heard plenty of bad words about them.

BigWoolyBanjo
December 13, 2012, 04:40 PM
I have a Stainless Target II in 10mm. If I shoot anything besides American Eagle FMJ or HydraShoks, it will lock the slide back mid-magazine at least once in a 50 round box.

Any ideas? I've got about 600 rounds in it so far. I hate to have to send it back to Kimber and be without it, but a brand new $1000+ gun should run flawlessly with most factory ammo, right?

I love the gun, and was hoping this problem would work itself out after the 4-500 round break in period but it has not.

Vern Humphrey
December 13, 2012, 04:44 PM
That sounds like a magazine problem -- does it do it with magazines from different manufacturers?

BigWoolyBanjo
December 13, 2012, 04:56 PM
I've only used 2 Kimber mags, no other brands. I'll have see if anyone else makes one for this 10mm and try that. Thanks

Rinspeed
December 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
I have a Stainless Target II in 10mm. If I shoot anything besides American Eagle FMJ or HydraShoks, it will lock the slide back mid-magazine at least once in a 50 round box.

Any ideas? I've got about 600 rounds in it so far. I hate to have to send it back to Kimber and be without it, but a brand new $1000+ gun should run flawlessly with most factory ammo, right?

I love the gun, and was hoping this problem would work itself out after the 4-500 round break in period but it has not.

Kimber had a bad batch of slide stops. If you call them they will send you a new one. After you get the new one you can take a file to the old one so you have a spare, pretty easy fix.

BigWoolyBanjo
December 13, 2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks! I just talked to Kimber and they're sending me a new slide stop. I'll be very happy if this fixes the problem!

Ric
December 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
Mine has been awesome
Super carry custom and Robar roguard/np3 internals
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/D-Ric902/RobarandKimber-1.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/D-Ric902/KimberandJMKydex.jpg

Rinspeed
December 13, 2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks! I just talked to Kimber and they're sending me a new slide stop. I'll be very happy if this fixes the problem!

The only reason it couldn't fix the problem is if the new one was out of spec as well. Like I said though it's a fairly easy fix even if it is. Couple swipes with a file where the stop is contacting the bullet will do the trick. If you have a set of calipers you can compare the two parts.

BYJO4
December 13, 2012, 09:27 PM
I noticed this thread is almost a year old but I never posted. I've had 2 stainless Custom II Targets (9MM & 45) for almost 4 years and neither have any malfunctions.

Scuba_Steve
December 13, 2012, 09:27 PM
Love my gold match and ultra Cdp II. Becoming a bit discouraged with my eclipse custom II 10mm. Bought it new 6 weeks ago, would not chamber rounds, sent it back to Kimber. They have had it for over a month and I called today, since I had received no updates.

All they could tell me is the gunsmith worked on, it went to range and it is now back with the gunsmith. No ETA for me yet :(

otasan56
December 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
Great photos of a great gun!

YankeeBill
December 15, 2012, 11:54 PM
I've got a Compact CDP II I bought new in '04 that's my EDC, and love it. Just had to send my slide off to Kimber though as the Meprolight sights gave up the ghost.

YB

blaisenguns
December 16, 2012, 10:14 AM
I have alot of guns. My Kimber TLE RL II has always been, and still is my favorite.

rfwobbly
December 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
My Target II has never missed a beat in 1500-2000 rounds. No broken parts, no complaints.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!