Load Development with Ladder Test

PDA

AAJones
February 14, 2012, 02:20 PM
How many of you use the ladder test when working up a new load? Have you found this to be effective in determining the "Most Accurate " load for your rifles. What yardage have you found to be most effective when performing the ladder test. I was thinking about setting up for 300 yrds. I will be testing loads for 257Wby, 300Wby, 7mm-08, and 308 to start with.

If you enjoyed reading about "Load Development with Ladder Test" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gregj
February 14, 2012, 07:42 PM
I'm going through that process now for my AR. Here is my recent thread on it. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=640207) There are a couple of great links to how to do a ladder test in that thread. I'm limited to 100yds where I shoot, and it makes the ladder a little difficult to read, but can be done. 200yds would be ideal for me. If you go longer, just make sure you have enough paper to catch all the rounds.

AAJones
February 14, 2012, 08:39 PM
I was planning to use butcher paper so that I have plenty of vertical room.

Dthunter
February 16, 2012, 04:42 PM
I use a large Pallet with cardboard to give me a six to eight foot target.

The distance I use for a ladder test is 500 yards for standard hunting calibers.
For long range I go to 800 yards. At this distance your vertical dispersion is much more pronounced and easier to figure out the best load.

If you enjoyed reading about "Load Development with Ladder Test" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!