New Rifle Project

PDA

Old Dog Man
February 15, 2012, 09:03 AM
I'm finally going to build myself a custom rifle. I've been building them for customer's and never had time to build one for myself. I'll be using a Rem. 700 S. A. ADL barreled action in 308 Cal. a light (18 oz.) weight fiberglass stock (Bansner HiTech). It will be fully glass bedded with floated barrel. A short guiet muzzlebreak (my own design, reduces recoil without the noise) and a 22" medium contour barrel. The action will be slabbed and slotted (kinda hex. shaped) on upper part and sides slotted. Barrel chamber area will also be hexed. Want to get it down to about 5#. Hope to get some pictures posted as I progress, but not sure I can, don't know how yet. I just retired from gunsmithing and will have plenty of time and can focus on my rifle. These are not options open for debate this is how it's going to be. Been thinking a long time what I was going to build and this is what I want. Anyone can disagree with my decision, but it's my money and time ha-ha. Wish everyone had the time to build their own. It's great fun to work with metal, especilly gun metal. Keep in touch. Al

If you enjoyed reading about "New Rifle Project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
February 15, 2012, 10:20 AM
I wish you luck in your endeavor, although your weight goal is a bit optimistic with a 22" medium contour barrel, the metal reduction on the action and barrel will help.
I do know the pride of putting together a few of my own rifles, and having them shoot well.
Have fun and be safe.

NCsmitty

Old Dog Man
February 15, 2012, 11:57 AM
Thank you NC, I just finished the barrel and break it is 22" with the break installed. I have built several rifles for myself over the past few years (1963) but they were not what I wanted to do this time. Mostly they were heavy varmit rifles, I just sold several of them to my PD hunting buddy's as I no longer am able to go on those long trips. It was fun while it lasted but getting too old. This rifle will be used primarily to shoot hogs and I'm tired of long barrreled heavy guns. Had to come in the office and take a break. Al

Old Dog Man
February 17, 2012, 11:54 PM
Have finished the barrel and action machine work, it's at 5lbs. 2oz. now the bolt needs some machining done to it. Still may get my 5lb. rifle. Al

Bull Nutria
February 18, 2012, 02:59 PM
Al,

won't a 5lb rifle in 308 kick your shoulder blue???

Bull

Old Dog Man
February 19, 2012, 11:49 AM
Possably but intend to use a break on it, also have a 22-250 barrel I'm thinking about using so I can eliminate the break. Al

rcmodel
February 19, 2012, 12:55 PM
I see almost unfired New Ultra Light Arms .308's, 7mm Mags, and others on the used gun racks at Cabala's fairly often for such an expensive rifle.

A 5 pound .308, or 5 3/4 pound 7mm Mag sounds like a great idea to a new rifle buyer, until he actually shoots one!

rc

Clipper
February 19, 2012, 04:04 PM
I always wanted a 5#centerfire for deer & black bear, possibly elk, but I want it in .257 Bob AI, to keep it pleasant...That being said, I'm working on a project of my own, a .348 rimless in a 19" rebored Mosin-nagant full-stock carbine. I expect a bit of recoil...

Old Dog Man
February 20, 2012, 11:36 PM
Installed the 22-250 barrel today, now have 2 barrels to fit 1 action. Guess I could swap them if ever need a larger cal. think I'll like the 22-250 better.Al

Old Dog Man
February 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
Had surgery this week and it will be a couple of weeks before I can do any work on rifle. SUKS Al

NCsmitty
February 26, 2012, 02:46 PM
Had surgery this week

We hope that you're feeling better, and look forward to seeing your project come to fruition.

NCsmitty

Blanco
February 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
Got to have some pictures of this project!

Old Dog Man
February 28, 2012, 11:51 AM
Got some pic's don't know how to post them yet. Feeling a little better, may do some work next week. Al

StrawHat
February 28, 2012, 12:26 PM
rcmodel ...A 5 pound .308, or 5 3/4 pound 7mm Mag sounds like a great idea to a new rifle buyer, until he actually shoots one!

rc

It seems like they only know how to shoot from a bench. Fired off hand, they aren't too bad. I like lighter weight rifles and am building a six pound 58 muzzleloader. I would really like a 6 pound 450 muzzleloader but that will have to wait.

Old Dog Man
March 1, 2012, 12:34 AM
Tried to post pic. yesterday, havent showed up yet, guess I don't know how to do it yet. Al

NCsmitty
March 1, 2012, 02:25 PM
Tried to post pic. yesterday, havent showed up yet, guess I don't know how to do it yet.

You need to use "Go Advanced", scroll down to "manage attachments" and upload your picture file from the directory where it's stored. You'll get the hang of it.

NCsmitty

Old Dog Man
March 1, 2012, 05:11 PM
Thank's NC I'll give it a whirll, I'm a gunsmith not a computer whiz. Thanks again. Al

Old Dog Man
March 1, 2012, 05:52 PM
Here are the pic of my light 5# rifle project.

Old Dog Man
March 1, 2012, 05:55 PM
Well I'll be dang NC we got-er-done. Al

Old Dog Man
March 4, 2012, 02:45 PM
Fired some bullets (3) yesterday and cleaned. Fired (3) more today and am cleaning again. Also loaded some test rounds for when I can get to range. Have preped 100 new cases, primer pockets cut, flash holes de-burred, necks trimmed, ready to load and shoot. Al

NCsmitty
March 4, 2012, 07:09 PM
Nice job on the obround cuts, Old Dog Man, and I can see a lot of work and planning was done overall.
We'll be waiting to see the whole package when your done, and a target or two.
Nice pics too.

NCsmitty

Old Dog Man
March 5, 2012, 11:23 PM
Going to install stock tomorrow, got all the glass removed today and changed it to a BDL so I don't have to run the shells out with the bolt. Will have more pics later. Al

texas chase
March 6, 2012, 11:01 AM
Very cool. Please keep us updated with pic's.

Old Dog Man
March 6, 2012, 03:23 PM
Got the recoil pad installed, bottom metal and added a palm swell. Waiting for the glass to get hard enough to remove bottom metal and clean before it completly sets up. I used 6 layers of bedding tape on the barrel to keep everything lined up with barrel channel.

Old Dog Man
March 8, 2012, 01:32 PM
Got some more done on the project, seems like someone told me not to be working until stiches were removed. Oh well what the hell! Anyway got the stock shaped, bedded, palm swell fit to my hand and primed. Scope mounted, rings not lapped yet, waiting until coating is done, and Jewell trigger gets here. But it will probably make it to the range before that happens, (can't wait) mixed some SS and black coating trying to get a grey finish and use a grey finish on stock. Added a little bit to back groung, like others do to see how it looks. The Colt copy has moose antler grips w/silver star, removed the blued finish and browned, to look like a John Wayne pistol and the knife has deer horn, both done by me, also made the knife. The small holster belonged to my grandfather, don't know much about the other one

Old Dog Man
March 10, 2012, 06:24 PM
This is a few more things I got done today. Cut out mag. box, check it to make sure the follower doesn't hang up. Cuut scope rings, and sprayed stock. The finish doesn't look very good yet, it has to set for a few days then it can be pressed down flat.. Then it has to set for about a week. I plan to sand it down some and spray it with a clear satin coat. I am going to have to coat the metal with black Tuff Kote, (MDSO) couldn't find any other colors in a coating I like. So am sticking to what I know works. Probably get to that monday. Al

Old Dog Man
March 16, 2012, 11:00 PM
Well here are the final results of my project rifle. Went to the range today and tested some loads. Need to do some more loads, not where I want it to be as far as accuracy is concerned, but really like the way it looks,and feels. Al

Old Dog Man
March 16, 2012, 11:11 PM
Here is what I've got so far from the loads I shot today. Had 15mph wind with gust to 25, but don't think that was much of a problem. Loaded some more this afternoon and will try again tomorrow. The first target is 52gr Hor. A_MAX with 38gr. of H380 .030" off lands. The next target is factory Hor. 60gr. SP, the next target is factory Win. 40gr. that says 4000fps. have never had them shoot good in any of my 22-250's Al

Old Dog Man
March 17, 2012, 01:40 PM
Got to the range early this morning, no wind at shop. Got to range 10 min. drive wind blowing 25 gust to 30+ so here is the best target so far, looks promising. I can live with that. Al

THe Dove
March 17, 2012, 01:56 PM
Great job ODM. Thanks for sharing the pics....

The Dove

zdc1775
March 17, 2012, 02:13 PM
Looks great.
What did you spray on the stock to give it that texture?

Old Dog Man
March 17, 2012, 04:53 PM
The finish is Stone Creations mostly used for painting old furniture. It sprays on looking a mess, but after it drys for 4-5 days it can be sanded, then you have to spray a clear coat over it to waterproof it. I used the same brand of clear coat. I just got tired of BLACK & STAINLESS so did something different. Actually the metal finish is SS & black mixed, came out just like I hoped.

Blanco
March 17, 2012, 11:55 PM
Old Dog
With a rifle that looks like that you should be making one ragged hole at 800 yds?

Kidding.......
My last trip to the range was a fiasco. Scope mount was loose and wrong type of mount was lucky and had 3 within an inch of each other

Old Dog Man
March 18, 2012, 01:07 PM
Been there done that, forgot my bore guide Fri. had to turn around and go back to shop and get it. Made me all mad, don't know if that had anything to do with the way I shot or not. Sat the wind was blowing worse than Fri. and I still shot better. Some days good some not at my age. Going to 600yrd. range next Fri. if weather permits, and try a little longer shots maybe 300yrds. or more. Al

bad375
March 20, 2012, 06:47 PM
ODM just wanted to say thanks for the pics and details, I've learned a lot. May have to check into the Stone Creations, I like how that looks.

Old Dog Man
March 21, 2012, 12:46 AM
It goes on pretty rough, have to let is dry for a couple of days then sand down till it gets soft and let it dry some more. Treir clear coat doesnt change the color of the finish, unless you put it on too thick. It comes in several colors, and can be found at Hobby Lobby and other places. Al

If you enjoyed reading about "New Rifle Project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!