Use of certain Smilies in a High Road forum

PDA

beatledog7
February 16, 2012, 12:15 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I suspect I'm not alone in thinking this.

Free speech notwithstanding, what purpose is served by inserting :neener: in a post?

If you enjoyed reading about "Use of certain Smilies in a High Road forum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
snakeman
February 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
It allows people to express an emotion. Such as humor in this case. If you haven't heard of humor I suggest you look into it. It's a new thing that makes life much more enjoyable. :neener: See, it's a joke. Without the emoticon you might never know that I am pulling your leg.

bigfatdave
February 16, 2012, 12:48 PM
http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2012/02/overheard-in-hallway.html

I find emoticons silly, but how about we solve the gross lack of spelling and grammar before worrying about why half the posts look like something a 13yo girl would text from her phone during study hall?

beatledog7
February 16, 2012, 07:26 PM
how about we solve the gross lack of spelling and grammar

To bigfatdave:

Hey, goofs happen. Turns out I have a Master's in English, so if you want to have a grammar contest, you're on.

By the way, a "lack of spelling and grammar" would mean no spelling or grammar at all, which is quite impossible.

o Unforgiven o
February 16, 2012, 08:12 PM
InB4TheLock!

If we had an emoticon for that, it would have saved me time typing.

As already stated, they provide a means of adding nuance to plain text so people have a better understanding of how the post was meant to be read. For instance, if I had added an emoticon after my first statement, you (the reader) would have a better grasp of how the post was supposed to come across, just like you would if I had spoken the words to you in person with the subtle changes in my speech.

As of now, my first statement (in plain text) comes across somewhat rude and mocking with no humor mixed in. With a simple emoticon you would have been able to tell I was saying it an off the cuff, playfully mocking, light humored but still somewhat aware that this thread is headed for closure, manner.

What we really need, is an emoticon that lets you know my post should be read in the voice of James Earl Jones doing his best impersonation of James May.

bikerdoc
February 16, 2012, 08:28 PM
Please dont take offense.

:rolleyes:;)I find them a means to express a good natured emphasis of humor to met and unmet friends with whom I have connected on THR. :neener:

As for the spelling, grammer, run on sentences, and lack of paragraphs, I agree some need a remedial course in the basics.

EddieNFL
February 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2012/02/overheard-in-hallway.html

I find emoticons silly, but how about we solve the gross lack of spelling and grammar before worrying about why half the posts look like something a 13yo girl would text from her phone during study hall?
I agre. Bad spelin and gramer suck. :rolleyes:

beatledog7
February 16, 2012, 10:00 PM
Thing is, that emoticon comes across as an expression of something other than humor.

JohnBT
February 16, 2012, 10:13 PM
That's why when you point your cursor at it it says 'neener' and not humor. You know what neener means, right? Using the little pic is easier than typing neener-neener. And more colorful.

John

http://funny-emoticons.com/emoticons/too_hot_microwave.gif

baronthered
February 17, 2012, 03:18 AM
What you talkin' 'bout Willis? I know my A B D's :p

Emoticon broken down you have emote and con the first is short for emotion, con... not so sure about.

These 10 and 12 hour nights at work are killing me. :banghead:

shootniron
February 17, 2012, 03:40 AM
beatledog7,

What is with the attitude toward bigfatdave? He did not call you out on your spelling or grammar...rather, he made a valid point about the crap that many people post here.

And, goofs are not the problem, unless we are referring to those who post this stuff.

JRH6856
February 17, 2012, 04:20 AM
Emoticons have a purpose. A large component of face to face communication is body language and facial expression. These are completely missing in written, online communications unless you have the skill and take the time to work it into your writing. Emoticons are both a substitute for the writing skill and a time saver. I'm not sure they really need to be animated, though.

beatledog7
February 17, 2012, 06:33 AM
shootniron,

bfd's post has a link to a blog post on another site which ridicules those who make the same spelling error (now corrected) I made in my original post.

I stand by my original point. "Neener" is not humor--it is sass, the emoticon equivalent of taunting. It's disrespectful.

amd6547
February 17, 2012, 06:48 AM
I find that emoticons are often used as a means of insult or ridicule when the writer lacks the ability to express themselves with language.

theicemanmpls
February 17, 2012, 06:50 AM
I have an associates degree in something totally worthless. I posses a masters degree from the school of hard knocks.

Spelling and grammer are very important.

Make sure your children don't leave the nest without writing skills.

:neener: :cuss: :fire: :what: :D

Nushif
February 17, 2012, 09:09 AM
Emoticons have a purpose. A large component of face to face communication is body language and facial expression. These are completely missing in written, online communications [...]

Fact.

I always find it funny when I can text with my XO but have to write a freakin' memo formatted e-mail to my CO.

While I respect the wishes of the people still wanting to see standard letter formatting in all written communication I really wish sometimes they'd respect my wishes to use the technology at hand effectively.

All that to say:
Emoticons (As I know them) are a part of fast online communication. Poor grammar and pselling well ... they're not the mark of effective communication, but it sure goes fast.
Let's draw a difference between mode and effectiveness of communication here, please?
Emoticons are effective, in the mode employed.
Bad spelling and grammar are ineffective. (Unles u got 2 go realy, realy fast!)

[edit]
And I'll even leave that fat-finger error in there.

mesinge2
February 17, 2012, 09:53 AM
I find that when someone makes a mordant comment that a :D lets people know that is was meant to be taken as humorous remark and not meant as shot at the person.

bigfatdave
February 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
Didn't think you'd get so insulted, beatledog7
Need a hug?
http://www.retainedfirefighter.com/images/smilies/hug_smiley.gif

Black Butte
February 17, 2012, 01:12 PM
It helps to avoid misunderstandings by turning something that could be interpreted negatively ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ into a harmless joke :neener:

beatledog7
February 17, 2012, 01:15 PM
bigfatdave,

No hugs required. I'm not thin-skinned, but I am known among my colleagues and peers for not being afraid to say what a lot of others are also thinking. There can be no denying that many THR members see :neener: the way I do.

Would you make those motions to a person in a face-to-face encounter?

Resist Evil
February 17, 2012, 01:21 PM
If a person has ever flipped another person off with a smile, then that person would understand the desirability for the use of emoticons.

gyvel
February 17, 2012, 05:06 PM
Emoticon broken down you have emote and con the first is short for emotion, con... not so sure about.

LOL!! Try: "emotion" + "icon."

jon_in_wv
February 17, 2012, 09:35 PM
I find the use of emoticons childish and annoying. :neener:

Arkansas Paul
February 17, 2012, 11:27 PM
If a person has ever flipped another person off with a smile, then that person would understand the desirability for the use of emoticons.

Yep. Same thing. Just good natured ribbing.

baronthered
February 18, 2012, 03:19 AM
LOL!! Try: "emotion" + "icon."

Thank you very much for the help. I've been :banghead: trying to figure it out since I posted.

sometimes i am :D

most of the time :banghead: or :scrutiny:

at work I mostly want to... :cuss: or :fire:

but it's the weekend so :cool:

usefull little critters emotional icons.

Props to gyvel ;)

Robert
February 18, 2012, 08:42 AM
The internetz is serious business...

:neener:

JohnBT
February 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
"I find that emoticons are often used as a means of insult or ridicule when the writer lacks the ability to express themselves with language. "

I don't know about all of the other smiley users, but I know I had the language skills to complete all of the classes for a graduate degree in counseling before my 23rd birthday. On the other hand, just because I can use a lot of words doesn't mean I'm going to if I don't have to.

Inserting a smiley is certainly a quicker and easier form of shorthand than typing. I admit I'm lazy. :o

John

Mike1234567
February 18, 2012, 11:50 AM
Emoticons are for those folks who have absolutely no ability to express their true intent textually. I, for one, am guilty of using them often. And I ask sincerely... watcha gonna make of THAT, sir?!:D

Emoticons are like women: They are often a PITA and just plain silly... but darned hard to do without when we need to... um... express ourselves.:evil:

spazzymcgee
February 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
Sorry you feel that way, BeatleDog, but since every forum out there has these emoticons, we must be doing something right.

XxBulletBendeRXx
February 19, 2012, 06:32 AM
THis thead is under Technical support and I am LAughing Very HArD at This time, LOL.... GREAT THREAD>> BUUUT ANyway.. Does anybody know Anything about GUNS? I heard there was Gun and Firemarm related topics On the High ROad..!! LOL.<

What kinda Heat your rolling with Tonight sirs???

XxBulletBendeRXx
February 19, 2012, 06:39 AM
It helps to avoid misunderstandings by turning something that could be interpreted negatively ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ into a harmless joke :neener:
This is a spectacular post... PRops!!

beatledog7
February 19, 2012, 07:17 AM
I asked in a previous post in this thread if this gesture :neener: is something you would do in real life. Neither the poster to whom I addressed the question nor anybody else offered to answer that or even comment on it. So, what I'm hearing is, essentially:

"This is the Internet, and that means we can cower behind our anonymity or use it as a weapon. Either way, there's no expectation that we will treat each other with respect and avoid words or gestures we'd never use in real life.

"In fact, we post on here because we'd actually like to blow raspberries at those whose views differ from ours and flip people off when they somehow inconvenience us. We'd do it in real life if we weren't afraid of the real life repercussions.

"So take your concern for civility and ____ off, weenie!"

No, I'm not going away. There's a lot of valuable information sharing on THR, and a lot of good people. The few who must use the Internet to sass and poke fun at others from behind some phony persona will just have to live with folks such as I who will call them on it.

Mike1234567
February 19, 2012, 09:07 AM
We need an emoticon for "lighten up, dude, it's just a forum". ;) :neener: :) :rolleyes:

ETA: One of the best forums on the internet, BTW!!

rbernie
February 19, 2012, 09:20 AM
I asked in a previous post in this thread if this gesture is something you would do in real life. Neither the poster to whom I addressed the question nor anybody else offered to answer that or even comment on it.One of the things that I learned in the military was how regionally acceptable certain behaviors could be. Tones and phrases and gestures that would seem normal on the streets of NYC would likely result in a fight, or worse, in Augusta. Are there folk that communicate this way to each other, cordially? Sure are.

Life is like that - different strokes for different folks. Expecting others to adhere to a singular behavioral pattern is both unwise and unlikely to result in joy for anyone.

It's time to close this one down, because no good is evidently coming from it. But I feel compelled to advise folk to avoid imposing their personal morals and behavioral expectations on large groups of strangers. That never ends well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Use of certain Smilies in a High Road forum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!