9mm vs .40 Which is better?

PDA

stringer87
February 16, 2012, 06:54 PM
Which is the best caliber out of those two?

Im going to get a glock because glocks are the best pistols of all time

GO RUMSFELD

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm vs .40 Which is better?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sigpro
February 16, 2012, 07:34 PM
Very general question. I'm sure that someone here is going to give you hell for not stating what you are gonna use the gun for. CCW, duty weapon, home defense, Zombie Apocalypse? What size gun are you looking to get?

Anyhow. Despite what some will tell you in, 9mm is a great round. It's been around for a while, so it's easy to find and comparitivly cheap. Lot's of penetration. Some consider it the "minimum" for a self-defense round. However, it is not a gun only fit for Sissys and Girls. You'll hear lots of folks tell you about all the "issues" the military has had with the 9mm round. Just remember that the military is restricted to using FMJ ammo.

40cal is great too lot's of LEO's use it. Very popular, not too expensive. Bigger round, so 40 cal guns usually hold less rounds than similar 9mm's. Some folks don't like the recoil of the 40cal, but I've never had an issue with it.

Both are great rounds, in fact they are two of THE great rounds avaliable today. Just depends what you want. There are lots of other differences, but i'm sure others will chime in with those. Just so you are ready, someone is going to get on here and tell you that they both suck, and that you need to get a 50AE, or such.

eam3clm@att.net
February 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
As a LEO I carry a Glock in 40S&W on duty and off. I also have other handguns chambered in 9mm and 45acp. The best round for you will depend on what your shooting ability is and what your requirments of the round will be. I have no complaints with either round and both are good personal protection rounds. A high quality carry round and having the ability to shoot accuratly even under stress is more important.

Telekinesis
February 16, 2012, 07:49 PM
They both suck and you need to get a 50AE :D

Honestly they're both more than capable rounds, especially when you use modern defensive ammo. I prefer the 9mm for capacity and lower recoil and muzzle flip. Lower recoil and muzzle rise means faster (or easier to become faster at) follow up shots. Also, the 9mm will have slightly increased capacity when compared to a similar gun in .40.

A plus to the .40 guns is that most guns can also shoot .357 Sig and 9mm if you buy conversion barrels. .357 Sig and .40 use the same mags, while you'll need new mags if you want to use 9mm. A more minor point is that I have heard anecdotal (read: unconfirmed) information that using a .40 cal extractor isn't good for shooting 9mm, but I don't know how truthful that is. If you decide to go this route, you may want to do a bit more research on that.

Just don't make the mistake of putting 9mm in a gun with a .40 cal barrel. Talked to a guy a few weeks ago at my LGS who swore up and down that he had a M&P that would shoot both 9mm and .40 out of the same barrel and do just fine :what:

If you're going with a Glock, I would recommend the 19. I think the 17 is a tad bit big to conceal, though I had no intentions of concealing mine, so I went with the 17 and love it. Though I would contend that Sigs are superior!

MaterDei
February 16, 2012, 07:53 PM
Go with the 9mm, it is definitely better than the 40.

No wait, go with the 40, it is definitely better than the 9mm.

Seriously... do we really want to feed this 12 year old troll?

Move along...move along. There's nothing to see here.

MaterDei
February 16, 2012, 07:54 PM
Talked to a guy a few weeks ago at my LGS who swore up and down that he had a M&P that would shoot both 9mm and .40 out of the same barrel and do just fine

Physically impossible. Ignore people that say these kinds of things.

JustinL
February 16, 2012, 07:59 PM
whichever caliber you can shoot accurately and afford to practice with regularly.

Plan2Live
February 16, 2012, 08:10 PM
Is it a full moon? I think I see a troll and he's already reeled in a few. Come on guys, go back and read the original post, all of it. Don't take the bait.

Telekinesis
February 16, 2012, 08:10 PM
Talked to a guy a few weeks ago at my LGS who swore up and down that he had a M&P that would shoot both 9mm and .40 out of the same barrel and do just fine
Physically impossible. Ignore people that say these kinds of things.

Oh yeah, I know. I just thought I'd mention it so the OP doesn't try it himself on the recommendation of some gun shop commando and end up looking like a fool at the range ;)

1KPerDay
February 16, 2012, 08:11 PM
If you feed the trolls it just encourages them. :)

JRH6856
February 16, 2012, 08:17 PM
Im going to get a glock because glocks are the best pistols of all time

If you believe that, why does caliber matter?

Aiko492
February 16, 2012, 08:43 PM
Good lord

beatledog7
February 16, 2012, 08:49 PM
Fellas, the OP is clearly just trying to jerk our collective chain.

Inebriated
February 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
Unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful...

trex1310
February 16, 2012, 09:41 PM
I don't like either one. I like the .41 long Colt. My custom Jennings
with 7.5 inch barrel is already chambered for it.

This post is as full of crap as the original. :D

Tomcat47
February 16, 2012, 09:48 PM
Was that one of those S&W MP 940's or was it a 409?? :what:

Man I want one of those!

Gator 23
February 16, 2012, 10:42 PM
9mm

kgpcr
February 16, 2012, 11:24 PM
.40 makes a bigger hole

cfullgraf
February 17, 2012, 12:08 AM
The one you hit the target better is the best.

Like real estate, it is all about location, location, location.

willypete
February 17, 2012, 12:26 AM
There really ought to be a probationary period with membership subject to revocation.

Lucifer_Sam
February 17, 2012, 12:26 AM
Glocks are not the best pistol. The best pistol is well known to be the Desert Eagle. I suggest one in .44. It is accurate, reliable, and easy to conceal. Perfect for home defense or carry. I personally feel that the gold plated version adds come class to an already classy gun.

If not that then the Taurus Judge is a good second choice. .410 is known to be a devastating round, especially when fired out of a 6" barrel. You will have a 3' wide cone of death in front of you after firing, enough to disable several intruders at once, even if they are armored. I have heard rumors of 5 intruders who faced "judgment" taken down in with 2 rounds. I guess that verdict was guilty!

Lucifer_Sam
February 17, 2012, 12:28 AM
Being serious, I think the account holder had a roommate happen on his computer and decided to mess around with it. His other posts are pretty normal.

Geckgo
February 17, 2012, 12:37 AM
cut down a barret to pistol length, get all the ATF forms first. THAT is a MAN's gun.

David E
February 17, 2012, 02:12 AM
If you need to ask, then the answer for YOU is 9mm

Jed Carter
February 17, 2012, 06:02 AM
Better for what? Pistols as a manstopper will most likely take more than one round to stop a threat. Might as well save the cash, and use 9mm, I have a G35 Glock in .40, it is the only .40 I own and is used in Limited, Limited10 divisions in USPSA matches. For defense I use either a 9mm or .45ACP

fiftybmg
February 17, 2012, 06:17 AM
The one you can shoot the best with, is the better one.

The_Armed_Therapist
February 17, 2012, 08:42 AM
You always hear that 9mm gets more penetration, but from what I've seen, I don't believe it. The .40 penetrates at least as much, leaves a bigger hole, and carries more energy. If it's going to be a range gun, go with 9mm. I, personally, don't use 9mm for carry because I don't think it is as good.

SeriousGunBlog
February 17, 2012, 11:19 AM
No one wants to get shot with either a .40 or a 9mm. Put simply, make a choice. Both, if handled well by a competent shooter, will put a target down. Period.

ritepath
February 17, 2012, 11:36 AM
Get both...or two or three of both. And also a 45, 380, and 357....I did, why limit yourself this is America.

Manson
February 17, 2012, 12:21 PM
Giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you are not a troll. You need look no further than Sigpro's response.

stringer87
February 17, 2012, 03:51 PM
thanks alot fellas. i decided to go with the .40, had dealer order a gen4 g23, cant wait! also ordered the supertuck. i emailed crossbreed after i ordered to be certain it fits the gen 4. as expected it does, but they are also putting a divot in the horsehide to accomodate the new factory extended mag release! :D

el Godfather
February 17, 2012, 05:48 PM
As much as I don't care for the original post, I would participate in the thread just to voice my opinion.

I would pick 9mm. If I want more power than I would just take a 45. I don't really care for high caps anymore. Most of you who have any real time gun fight experience should now that the entire episode is over in 3 to 4 shots.

Ruger556
February 17, 2012, 06:26 PM
Either or...they are both capable rounds....whichever you can handle and shoot effectively.

Robert101
February 17, 2012, 09:48 PM
I elect to say the 40 S&W is better. Here is my take:
1. Go with a .380 if you don't shoot alot. Easier to handle and lower recoil and adequate stopping power.
2. 9MM is cheaper to shoot and you can practice a lot more with this round. It is a proven self defense round with better than adequate stopping power.
3. 40 S&W has a bigger diameter bullet, heavier bullet weights and in my opinion almost as good as the venerable 45 automatic. This is my caliber for self defense carry. You should practice with this round more than the 9MM as handling is a factor - recoil is a little bit more substantial.

jackpinesavages
February 18, 2012, 01:32 PM
For Glocks go with the .40 and later you can get a 9mm conversion barrel from Storm Lake, etc...

verdun59
February 18, 2012, 05:04 PM
Who cares about the caliber, I'm anxious to know which Glock is the best of all guns .....

JRH6856
February 18, 2012, 05:06 PM
I'm anxious to know which Glock is the best of all guns .....

Obviously the .380s which are LEO only.

glove
February 18, 2012, 05:34 PM
I like both and carry 9mm sometime and than .40 other times.:) And once in a while I will carry .380.

glove
February 18, 2012, 05:36 PM
Who cares about the caliber, I'm anxious to know which Glock is the best of all guns .....
That would be a G-26 3rd. gen.

GreyCoupe
February 19, 2012, 11:18 AM
Search first, then post.

Onmilo
February 19, 2012, 11:21 AM
9mm hands down, especially with modern lodings in this caliber.
The .40 S&W has too many issues to recommend it for anything.

miles1
February 19, 2012, 03:37 PM
.357 is the best course,but you already knew that :neener:

alaskanativeson
February 19, 2012, 06:13 PM
Tastes great!

Less filling!

Wishoot
February 19, 2012, 06:22 PM
That would be a G-26 3rd. gen.
Glock 18. :neener:

David E
February 19, 2012, 06:51 PM

Such as?

flyskater
February 19, 2012, 07:14 PM
bud light vs budweiser

Onmilo
February 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
David E, Lackluster accuracy standards, erratic pressure curve, hard to reload & easy to blow a gun up doing so.
10mm is a better caliber but lacks decent choices in handgun platforms.

alaskanativeson
February 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Such as?
Issued to the South Australia Police, Wyoming Highway Patrol, Colorado Springs PD, Atlanta PD, Charlotte PD, Iowa State Patrol, The U.S. Coast Guard, Baltimore County Police, Baltimore City PD, Maryland State Patrol, DeKalb County PD, The FBI, Alaska State Troopers, U.S. Border Patrol, Nashville PD, South Bend PD, Victoria PD, Australia Customs Dept, Margate PD, Ann Arbor PD, Lansing PD, Dearborn PD, Hamburg PD, Manchester PD...

That's a lot of issues. There are thousands more. I think these "issues" show disagreement with the post in question.

AK_Maine_iac
February 19, 2012, 07:30 PM
That does it i just lost my man card. I don't like :eek: Bud light or Budweiser as far as that goes. I do like 9mm,40S&W, 10mm,357Sig,and 45acp
Give me Scotch on the rocks after the guns are cleaned and put away.

theicemanmpls
February 19, 2012, 07:41 PM
Heineken, vs becks, vs st Pauli girl.

I prefer the taste of becks, but love the beer Wench pictures on st pauli girl.

76shuvlinoff
February 19, 2012, 07:43 PM
I own and have carried .380, 9mm, .40, and .45, sometimes .357 and .38 spcl too.

For me the load depends on the day, alignment of stars, and maybe the barometric pressure so I really can't say I am a true fanboy of a particular caliber. I am a believer in shot placement.

I just wanted to say to alaskanativeson that with this post:

issued to the South Australia Police, Wyoming Highway Patrol, Colorado Springs PD, Atlanta PD, Charlotte PD, Iowa State Patrol, The U.S. Coast Guard, Baltimore County Police, Baltimore City PD, Maryland State Patrol, DeKalb County PD, The FBI, Alaska State Troopers, U.S. Border Patrol, Nashville PD, South Bend PD, Victoria PD, Australia Customs Dept, Margate PD, Ann Arbor PD, Lansing PD, Dearborn PD, Hamburg PD, Manchester PD...

That's a lot of issues. There are thousands more. I think these "issues" show disagreement with the post in question.

it is obvious this site needs an applause Smilie,

Well done.

allaroundhunter
February 19, 2012, 09:17 PM
Well, you either get 9 millimeters or you get .40 millimeters. Which would you pick?

Personally, I think you should stick with the big .50

By big .50, I mean one of these:

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FKL/HKNH/F0X1RV5C/FKLHKNHF0X1RV5C.MEDIUM.jpg

You have an option for any threat ranging from a rabid troll all the way up to a man-eating zombie. Best of luck to ya.

MuleRyder
February 19, 2012, 09:35 PM
beating a dead horse...

Trad Archer
February 19, 2012, 09:55 PM
40 s@w

stringer87
February 19, 2012, 10:02 PM
Well, you either get 9 millimeters or you get .40 millimeters. Which would you pick?

I would pick whichever was cheaper so you have enough left over to further your education!

76shuvlinoff
February 19, 2012, 10:15 PM

Actually I think you get 9mm or 10mm since a mm is a fine frog hair under .040"

I have a drop in 9mm barrel for my XD40sc and I use the .40 mags for 9mm shooting. Occasionally I get a failure to feed so I would never carry it this way but it's ok for plinking. As far as I'm concerned the difference in capacity is a non issue. If I were going to regularly carry a 9mm I would be looking for a single stack not much bigger than my lcp .380.

cocojo
February 19, 2012, 11:39 PM
Both rounds work fine when placement is achieved and both rounds fail when it's not. Both rounds expand to about same diameter and both rounds have about the same energy. The only difference is one milimeter and the 40 bullets can throw a heavier slug. The nine is a lighter slug and a bit faster. It really come down to which one gives you that warm fuzzy feeling that you can hit with accuracy, shoot the fastest and shoot your target with multiple hits, as quickly as possible. Quick accurate placement with multiple hits is what wins gunfights.

Onmilo
February 19, 2012, 11:59 PM
alaskanativeson, I am well aware of the number of Police agencies that have issued the .40 S&W.
I am also well aware of the number who are beginning to trend away from the caliber or at least offer other options to their Officers.

Because a Police agency issues a caliber does not make it a perfect solution and the .40 S&W is a solution to a non existent problem, but my oh my, it did sell some guns when manufacturers needed the sales!

allaroundhunter
February 20, 2012, 12:51 AM
I would pick whichever was cheaper so you have enough left over to further your education!

Actually I think you get 9mm or 10mm since a mm is a fine frog hair under .040"
It was a sarcastic remark for a trolling question. I fully understand that the 9mm is measured in metric units and the .40 S&W in inches...

alaskanativeson
February 20, 2012, 07:16 AM
Onmilo, I'm aware of that. Personally, I have no use for the .40 Short & Weak, if you're going to carry a 40 cal gun, be a man and get a 10mm. However, for practical purposes the 40 S&W isn't going away like the 10mm is, and the benefits of a larger hole and less rounds is offset by more rounds and better accuracy, so it really comes down to a matter of choice, just like the great taste/less filling argument. Lots of LE will continue to use 40 and the civi market is flooded with them, so it's going to remain a viable round, if somewhat more expensive than 9mm will be, or even my choice of .45 Auto in some places. However, if the people wondering about this (other than the myriad of 13 year olds who may just be trolling as opposed to actually learning something) have apreference, that's their business.

nonseven
February 20, 2012, 01:04 PM
10mm is a better caliber but lacks decent choices in handgun platforms.

Well, 10mm is available in a Glock, the world's best handgun, so what's the problem?

gym
February 20, 2012, 01:43 PM
I like all 3 , it depends on what i am dressed in that day.the glock 26 gives me the least weight and size to have to hide, aside from my #2 carry the ruger 380. Then my emp is even slimmer, but 33 ozs unloaded in 40. So that is ok with jeans. And my 45 is a push with the 26, just a heavier gun with similar characteristics. Depends on your mood and destination, either one will do.I shoot my 26 better than my 30, only because I can shoot it faster, the bullet goes in the same place, just takes a little longer to empty. If you train with the 30, as I once did, it is just as fast, and age factors in after 60. I work out every day, so I can still handle these weapons. I stopped for a while and there was a huge difference in hand and upper body strength. I see guys who can't rack the slide on their 1911's in their early 60's.
I always say I never want to get to the point where some 16 yr old can kick my ass. So I think of that when I don't want to work out. And having every disk in my spine damaged it's a tough sell some days. But ain't no way I am letting myself get that weak where I can't fight hand to hand if need be. I can still kick over my head and throw jabs and right hands well enough to hold my own. You can't shoot people sometimes, you need to stay in shape.

918v
February 20, 2012, 01:48 PM
I carry a 40, but I think the 9 is a better round:

It has a tapered case so it feeds more reliably. How? Because the design is such that an undersized bullet is feeding into an oversized chamber. But it all mates up nice and snug when in battery.

It can exceed 40 power when loaded to +P+ specs. In some cases it can be loaded to equal 357 Sig. The brass is immensely strong and can withstand loads in excess of 50000 PSI. Just ask the 9mm Major guys.

It is inherently more accurate than the 40. Been handloading for both using a variety of platforms, and the 9 is more accurate.

9mm guns are more durable and safer. How many 9mm Glocks KB vs 40 cal?

You can fit more 9 in a mag.

You can pick up 9mm brass off the ground for free. There's half your ammo cost right there.

The 9 is a better looking round.

There.

TarDevil
February 20, 2012, 03:00 PM
That does it i just lost my man card. I don't like :eek: Bud light or Budweiser as far as that goes. Give me Scotch on the rocks after the guns are cleaned and put away.

You get points for avoiding Budweiser... you must pay penance for pouring Scotch over ice!

SecAmend75
February 20, 2012, 05:41 PM
If only this thread could be reality tv show. If only......

NG VI
February 20, 2012, 05:43 PM
It doesn't matter. The .40 recoils more than the 9mm, the 9mm holds more in the same platform than the .40, the .40 propels a slightly wider and somewhat heavier bullet than the 9mm, the 9mm allows for faster followup shots, which are neccessary with any handgun anyway.

Terminally they perform basically the same, and so does .45, with a shot that connects with the person you are trying to shoot any of those bullets will behave the same way.

The biggest differences aren't between calibers, but between bullet designs. Load up any of them with a current-gen duty-intended JHP (only because some of the 'personal defense' loads are intentionally teh suck, like Federal's 135 grain Hydra-Shock at 1150 feet per second, or Hornady's Critical Defense which is designed to penetrate less than anyone thinks is a good idea, without even giving outstanding expansion in the process) and it will do absolutely fine. Where you put it matters most.

NG VI
February 20, 2012, 05:47 PM
The only difference is one milimeter and the 40 bullets can throw a heavier slug. The nine is a lighter slug and a bit faster.

No, it's not. Loaded with equivalent bullet weights, matched by sectional density, the .40 and 9mm run at exactly the same velocities. A 124+P 9mm is generally loaded to 1200 feet per second, the same as a 155 grain .40 loaded for defense. A 147 grain 9mm is intended for 1000 FPS in most defense loads, the same as a 180 .40. The 135 .40s can hit 1300 feet per scond, just like the +P 115 grain 9mm bullets. .40 is just like 9mm, but a little bit moar.

LawScholar
February 20, 2012, 05:59 PM
It doesn't bother me that people don't care for various aspects of the .40, but I flatly reject in the absence of proof that the round is less inherently accurate than the 9mm.

MuleRyder
February 20, 2012, 06:23 PM
enough already...

David E
February 20, 2012, 06:26 PM
David E, Lackluster accuracy standards, erratic pressure curve, hard to reload & easy to blow a gun up doing so.

Haven't found any of that to be true after 10's of 1000's of .40 rds personally sent down range.

jrdolall
February 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
9mm. Because I have several and don't need to get into another pistol cartridge. I have 9mm, .357, .38 spc, .38+p, .22, .45 and .460 so I dont really need another caliber. Oh yeah don't forget the Makarov.

Coop45
February 20, 2012, 06:51 PM
Is dino oil better than synthetic oil in my motorcycle. LOL!!

MechanicKid
February 20, 2012, 07:02 PM
Man I love this question. 9mm or 40 s&w? Well, modern powder and bullet technology being what it is today, 9mm. Good defense loads and good prices on bulk ammo for training yourself on how to use said ammo. More range time is the goal here!

Glock being best pistol of all time? I will neither agree nor disagree, but if you contact Wade's Eastside Guns in Washington, they may let you shoot their 1st gen 17 which has passed the 1 million (yes that is 1,000,000) round count. All they have ever changed was the springs. Just saying. It would be the military issue handgun if it had an external safety, but another argument for another day.

I own a 10mm for anti-critter usage. State of Missouri has a law that if you see a wild hog and have the capability to kill it, it is your duty to kill it. Some 2 legged critters can get annoying too, in their little import cars (I in no way condone wholesale slaughter of bipeds) Although it came highly recommended for such by a couple of federal agencies back in the day.

I own a .45 for good knockdown at shorter range. Some drug cocktails out there are good at disconnecting the pain sensors from the brain, sometimes you need to hit em with an ash tray. For more info, look up the Phillipine insurrection, the birthplace of the .45 acp, or at least a greatly donating factor.

I am soon to own a 9mm for ccw and all around training. Good hi-cap, low recoil, good for drills and cheap on the ammo.

Regardless, if you put anything from a 22l to whatever hand cannon you have into someone (assuming he isn't armored) said perp will definately take a moment or two to question their life's decisions up to that point. In these moments, maneuver, break contact, or assault through the objective until there is no longer a threat.

Off of my soap box

alaskanativeson
February 20, 2012, 11:43 PM
...the .40 propels a slightly wider and somewhat heavier bullet than the 9mm, the 9mm allows for faster followup shots, which are neccessary with any handgun anyway...

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g235/Rodgersplace/45.jpg

Like most of the posts here, a little humor is warranted...

m2steven
February 21, 2012, 05:21 PM
A decent 40 has very nice capacity and obviously hits harder than a 9mm. Followup shots are more difficult unless you really practice.

I carry a 9mm because I can reliably control it and it's cheaper to practice with. I also carry a Glock 32 which is a 9mm/40 cal frankenstein thing and it's the bees knees.

cougar1717
February 21, 2012, 07:32 PM
Got the popcorn ready for this thread... so how many pages will it go before it gets locked?

I'll choose the fo-tay on this one. When an identical thread gets posted next week, it will be the 9's turn.

Pyro
February 21, 2012, 09:27 PM
Why not a 1911 that shoots .45 Auto Rim?

TheCracker
February 21, 2012, 09:47 PM
Whatever you can shoot better. It's all about shot placement! A good 9mm self defense round is plenty.

CountGlockula
February 21, 2012, 10:01 PM
9mm, nuff' said.

Air,Land&Sea
February 21, 2012, 10:05 PM
180 gr. .40 of course. Why is it even discussed?

Casefull
February 21, 2012, 11:15 PM
stupid thread...

trex1310
February 21, 2012, 11:32 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa!

Will there ever be an end to the which is the better caliber threads?

I know, I know, I don't have to read them.

henrifirstman
February 21, 2012, 11:46 PM
Obrez! 7.62x54r is only acceptable choise comrade.
All joking aside, I have a 40 cal that I love and I've fired 9's before.
I myself like the .40 because it makes a bigger hole.
Whatever works best for you though.

Hondo 60
February 22, 2012, 12:12 AM
Only you can decide which is better for you!

Go to the guns store & handle a number of guns.
This'll give you a great start in getting the weapon that best fits your hand.

Do you have a near by range that rents guns?
If so, that would be even better, becuase you can test fire them & see which is easiest for you to do a follow-up shot.

Have fun gun shopping!

marine 97-03
February 22, 2012, 12:25 AM
They will both kill you dead...one won't make you DEADER than the other !!!!!

beatledog7
February 22, 2012, 01:01 AM
If the .40S&W had been invented in time, no doubt Hitler would have ordered his troops to be equipped with it.

There, I've invoked Godwin. Can we close this now?

gym
February 22, 2012, 01:02 AM
Follow up shots depend more on the specific gun and shooter. I shoot all3, and can double tap my 40, 45, and 9mm at the same speed. I have no problem with follow up shots with my 33 oz emp, or my 38 oz R1. my 26 I can empty the mag in a very short time. If you have a heavy pistol, and a strong grip, your folow up shot, should not be an issue.Using hydroshocks 165 grain in my EMP i can drill the entire mag in a second and a half, Maybe a few tenths different between all of them.
I think some folks are using very light pistols with high recoil ammo. Winchester makes a 40 low recoil hollowpoint that is no different than a 9mm in my hands.I had given up on 40's for 10 years, but the EMP changed my mind. it was designed for the 40. And you can shoot it just as fast. Although a 45 Govt. is more accurate than all of them, to me, "with a 4-5 lb trigger". And you can shoot that gun just as fast as any 9mm. Nothing like a 1911 trigger.I don't hear a lot about double taps in here, is it becoming a lost art,or is it too many double action 9mm tupperware guns out there. If your trigger is set right, you should be able to put two holes in the same spot.8 rounds should run you a little over a second with a little practice.

Coop45
February 22, 2012, 01:59 AM
Are brunettes prettier than blondes? And what about redheads?

allaroundhunter
February 22, 2012, 02:48 AM
Are brunettes prettier than blondes?
Yes.

And what about redheads?

They're a close 2nd....sorry, I had to ;)

dicky r
February 22, 2012, 03:05 PM
Cmon guys, anybody that knows anything about guns knows that the only real carry gun is a .500 S&W with a 10.5" barrel. It's small, (18" long), it's light, (5 lbs), and its mild recoil coupled with inexpensive ammunition make it perfect.

TarDevil
February 22, 2012, 03:56 PM
Gheez... I get no support for the proper use of Scotch?

NG VI
February 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
I feel that way about rum actually.

If anything, heat it up a bit in a microwave or whatever device you like.

Onmilo
February 22, 2012, 11:08 PM
Good Bourbon far outpaces Scotch or Rum in actual drinking pleasure!
;)

Curator
February 22, 2012, 11:27 PM
Buy the Glock in .40 S&W then get an after market 40/9mm conversion barrel and a couple of magazines. Bingo, the best of both worlds. I did this with my Glock 23 and a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. Shooting both from the same gun (with different barrels) I can sense the .40s increased punch. I shoot 147 grain 9mm slugs and 180 .40 caliber. 33 grains of lead does make a difference.

TarDevil
February 23, 2012, 12:19 AM
Good Bourbon far outpaces Scotch or Rum in actual drinking pleasure!
;)
Blasphemy!!

theQman23
February 23, 2012, 02:38 AM
I am 230 lbs and can admit that my little glock 27 in 40 recoils enough that I can not shoot it as quickly and controllably as my full sized steel 1911 in .45. I do a lot of tac drills with the local police guys, (I am not law enforcment, just a gun nut and range guy who gets to pratice with them) and when we go through 1000 rounds in a couple of mornings it sure would be nice to have a glock 17 or 34 to keep constant control under speedier drills while saving money on ammo.
Now, that being said, my carry gun is still usually the .40 model g27, or if i'm dressed right for it, a .45, because honestly if and when I have to use lethal force, I don't want to be worrying about "well placed" shots and "follow up shots" I want to know that if I hit them, ANYWHERE, that hit will cause enough instantaneous shock, fear, and movement that I am safe and the assailant isn't incapacitated. 9mm was a good deal for the geneva convention guys, and the whole, "carry more ammo per truck pallet" and "take the medic off the field with the injured" military crowds, but you notice that 80% of law enforcement which are don't care about shippnig large amounts of ammo, and don't carry about geneva conventions, are 80% all carrying 40 caliber in hollow points.

theQman23
February 23, 2012, 02:39 AM
oops, meant to say, "assailant IS incapacitated"

allaroundhunter
February 23, 2012, 02:50 AM
because honestly if and when I have to use lethal force, I don't want to be worrying about "well placed" shots and "follow up shots" I want to know that if I hit them, ANYWHERE, that hit will cause enough instantaneous shock, fear, and movement that I am safe and the assailant is incapacitated.

Um.....carrying a .45 ACP doesn't guarantee this....

Jath
February 23, 2012, 04:08 AM
Simple Answer, .40 cal is better.

Not so simple answer, 9mm has less recoil and higher mag capacity, and is therefore better for competitions. .40 through the right gun has good recoil has only slightly less capacity. Plus a .40 cal weapon has the added bonus of being able to switch to a .357 sig barrel. .357 sig is better than a .45, and before anyone tries to disagree with that statement, don't bother because I have loads of data to prove it.

As for Glocks being the best guns available, they are not. They are good firearms and easy to use, true, but an HK or an FN pistol both trump a Glock every which way but lose. I personally own an FNX 40, and a Glock 23, The FNX is a better shooter, with better recoil, and is a much smoother shot. I'm personally more accurate with it as well, but only by a very small margin.

And last thing you should know, Glocks are ugly. Open your eyes and you'll see that.

ChCx2744
February 23, 2012, 05:38 AM
More holes or bigger holes? Two drumsticks or a thigh? 4 quarters or a dollar bill?

alaskanativeson
February 23, 2012, 06:52 AM
because honestly if and when I have to use lethal force, I don't want to be worrying about "well placed" shots and "follow up shots" I want to know that if I hit them, ANYWHERE, that hit will cause enough instantaneous shock, fear, and movement that I am safe and the assailant is incapacitated. Um.....carrying a .45 ACP doesn't guarantee this....
Sure it does. Heck, I've read that if you ever hit a dude in the hand with a .45, the shock value to his system will make the dude crumble up into a ball. Especially true if you're using a "dum-dum" round, then you only have to hit a finger and the guy will turn completely inside out. No, wait, I don't think I read it. Maybe I heard it. Yeah, that's probably it. I heard it. In a movie. Must have been Lethal Weapon 3 when Riggs and Murtaugh are taking Leo to the hospital because he may have been hit by a dum-dum round. Good thing they gave him a proctological exam to make sure that cop-killer round didn't blow his ass off.

Nordeste
February 23, 2012, 11:39 AM
Obvious troll is obvious.

My personal preference is neither of those. Nothing beats a 12 gauge sawed-off shotgun carried IWB.

allaroundhunter
February 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
Sure it does. Heck, I've read that if you ever hit a dude in the hand with a .45, the shock value to his system will make the dude crumble up into a ball. Especially true if you're using a "dum-dum" round, then you only have to hit a finger and the guy will turn completely inside out. No, wait, I don't think I read it. Maybe I heard it. Yeah, that's probably it. I heard it. In a movie.

Wow....I feel like an idiot.....I don't catch sarcasm too well at midnight haha :o

NG VI
February 23, 2012, 02:38 PM
My personal preference is neither of those. Nothing beats a 12 gauge sawed-off shotgun carried IWB.

Preferably in the appendix location using your naturally occuring support structures for the muzzle.

Chambered, naturally.

MuleRyder
February 23, 2012, 08:14 PM
.30-06 or .308 which is better for squirrels?

ChCx2744
February 24, 2012, 04:18 AM
^ Hardly a fair comparison

theQman23
February 27, 2012, 08:16 PM
Ok guys, you got me there on semantics. I know that linquistically you could read that my writing implied hitting a man in the pinky toe with a 45 is going to stop him completely, and of course that's not what I meant. What I did mean is this.
If you hit a man in the belly or the clavicle, with a 9mm he may be able to hold his form and his momentum long enough to continue to accurately place shots against you. This has been seen in police and military video.
I'm not saying, again, not saying, that hitting a man in the belly or clavicle with a 40 or 45 will automatically stop him immediately, but studies do show, and video evidence does show, that those rounds are more effective one shot stoppers than 9mm.
If the lower cost of 9mm was a side issue, and 9mm were better man stoppers, than 75-80 percent of police would be carrying them. But they aren't. 75-80% of police are carrying .40, or 357 sig, and rarely but occassionally 45.
I'm sure you could find an officer out there still carrying the 38 special he trained with if he's now an elected sherriff somewhere, and that's good for him, but the majority of departments have figured out what is required, and what is the tactical advantage, and that doesn't seem to be 9mm.

theQman23
February 27, 2012, 08:17 PM
and by the way Mule Ryder, I prefer 7.62x39 for my squirrels thank you very much.
:)

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm vs .40 Which is better?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!