browning hi power conversion barrel question

PDA

gp1
February 16, 2012, 08:03 PM
hi there- I know that fire dragon and bar sto make drop in barrels to convert the hi power from 40 to 9mm but I thought that there was another company that offered a drop in barrel conversion as well... anyone know of any other options?

I ask bec it looks like both FD and Bar Sto are about $200 right now for the barrel and I am hoping to find a less expensive alternative.

BW- if anyone has a conversion ( barrel/spring/mags) that they would be interested in selling feel free to PM me :)

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "browning hi power conversion barrel question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
desidog
February 17, 2012, 01:11 PM
delete

gp1
February 18, 2012, 05:42 PM
anyone?

johnnydollar
February 18, 2012, 05:53 PM
Those two are it, as far as I know. Of the two, I'd go Bar-Sto, based on comments I've read elsewhere. Check BHP-specifc sites like Hi Power Talk, or those with good BHP content like M1911forum.com or 1911forum.com, or Handgunsandammunition.com.

gp1
February 19, 2012, 06:32 PM
thanks- looks like bar sto is the only one that currently has barrels in stock- unfortunately the barrels are 219 plus then fitting is required... I may have to wait on this- by the time I am done with the conversion I could have bought a Saiga rifle

KodiakBeer
February 19, 2012, 06:36 PM
I've heard bad things about the Fire Dragon Hi Power barrels.

gp1
February 19, 2012, 09:29 PM
BTW- I was thinking and researching another conversion idea... Ruger..

I have a p90 (.45) and a kp94 (.40) I often see complete slide/barrel assemblies for p89 (9mm) selling for cheap. Has anyone tried to put the p89 upper on a p90? I have seen posts where folks say that they think it cannot be done but I never see any first hand reasoning behind the "no"- I guess that the same question goes for the cz75- will a complete 9mm upper work with a .40 frame?

- I have caught the 9mm bug ( do not have one currently) but would rather try to use what I already have and add a conversion or slide ( as with the ruger) rather than buy a completely separate gun

gp1
February 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
Kodiak- I have heard this as well but no real details- have you heard what the issues with Fire Dragon are? fit/materials/etc? I wonder if it is folks who thought the barrel was a 100% drop in and found that it it needed fitting like bar sto ( at least bar sto is up front about the fact that their product requires fitting)

johnnydollar
February 19, 2012, 09:53 PM
Due to normal production manaufacturing variances, no "drop-in" part for the BHP is truly a drop-in proposition. C&S wide triggers are a perfect example. While labeled a "drop-in" part, they do require some small amounts of fitting, especially as concerns the trigger lever/reset function. I've done several, and almost all of those installations required small amounts of file work. As to barrels, I suppose you could get really lucky and buy one off the shelf that would fit perfectly (but it isn't likely), and even if you did get that lucky, you would still want to check the barrel fit closely before shooting it.

browningguy
February 19, 2012, 10:49 PM
I have a 9mm Fire Dragon drop in conversion for 40 cal. It doesn't work. I can get 3-4 rounds through it at a time and just never had time to mess with it to try to fix it.

gp1
February 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
browning- any idea what the problem is? what happens after 3-4 rounds? ever thought about getting rid of it really cheap? :)

KodiakBeer
February 20, 2012, 02:57 PM
Kodiak- I have heard this as well but no real details- have you heard what the issues with Fire Dragon are? fit/materials/etc?

Fit, I suppose. Over at hipowertalk, every time the subject arises somebody complains about them with some horror story. I have no personal experience myself.

If you enjoyed reading about "browning hi power conversion barrel question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!