Cabelas is coming to Ohio

PDA

Ohio Gun Guy
February 16, 2012, 11:11 PM
Cabelas announced they are going to build the "Next Generation" sized store.....meaning smaller, just North of Columbus. For those of you familiar, it will be off the Gemini exit and it sounds like the lot that is next to Costco.

I'm excited even though its a smaller store 80,000 sqft. Scheduled for Spring of 2013.

It will be on my way home, I've already informed my wife that we'll need to work out a time share arrangement between her and cabelas when it opens.

;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Cabelas is coming to Ohio" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
guyfromohio
February 16, 2012, 11:15 PM
My office is conveniently located about midway between The Iron Pony and the new Cabelas. Score!

Pacsd
February 16, 2012, 11:32 PM
I guess I never got in to the hoopla with Cabela's after they moved the cozy downtown Sidney store out on I/S 80. Sure, the stores are attractive with the displays & wildlfe scenes however, the prices are way high. Plus when I do check out I don't like being asked my phone number, if I want to apply for a card or put purchases on thier card. I personally try my best to avoid them and trade with the mom & pop bait shoppes and sporting goods stores where they know me by name and interests.

carbuncle
February 17, 2012, 01:42 AM
I'm looking forward to the new store opening up in Tulalip this spring!

usmarine0352_2005
February 17, 2012, 01:46 AM
Nice!

iron maiden
February 17, 2012, 02:37 AM
I heard that just a few hours ago. Looking forward to it. Although, since it is a smaller store, will it have less guns & reloading stuff than the regular sized stores like the one in Wheeling, WV?

newbuckeye
February 17, 2012, 03:11 AM
All that means to me is now we will have to pay sales tax if we order on line......:banghead:

Blind Dog Jake
February 17, 2012, 07:00 AM
All that means to me is now we will have to pay sales tax if we order on line......

Yep, with newbuckeye on that. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

chevyman097
February 17, 2012, 10:47 AM
Cabelas is awsome. Sure like any large chain store they do have some items priced higher than others. But I have found many a good deal at Cabelas! and its fun to shop in a store and see all the coold stuff vs the internet sometimes.

Enjoy the place!

joed
February 17, 2012, 10:51 AM
Believe it when you see it. They were going to build a store in Brunswick, OH a few years ago. I'm not holding my breath. And never heard another thing on it.

I'd rather see Cabelas here then Gander Mtn.

JoeMal
February 17, 2012, 10:58 AM
Don't get too excited...everything there is overpriced by about 25% so don't expect any crazy deals or anything

USAF_Vet
February 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
Grand rapids, Mi is getting one too. Still won't shop there.

HOOfan_1
February 17, 2012, 02:16 PM
Richmond VA was supposed to get one, about 5 miles from my house....that apparently died about 3 years ago :cuss:

CoRoMo
February 17, 2012, 03:54 PM
For a few years, they kept putting a star on the map in their catalogs, stating that a store was coming to Denver. They decided against that one too.

But I can't help but to buy from them.

Having a Cabela's Visa Card that produces close to $500 in rewards every year has no parallel. How/Where else am I going to be given $500 in gun related products for free? Please tell me where else I can get this and I will seriously consider dropping them.

JohnBiltz
February 17, 2012, 04:12 PM
When they say they need my phone number I always say "no you don't". That ends the conversation.

OH_Spartan
February 17, 2012, 04:30 PM
You could blindfold me, place me in anyone of the outdoor stores in central Ohio. Most of the time I could tell you where I am before I take off the blindfold. I prefer mom and pop shops over the big chains, but Cabela's beats Bass Pro, Gander, Dicks, MC, etc. IMHO.

To the comments that Cabela's is over priced. Yes, sometimes it is, but I have found really good deals there too, especially in their bargain cave. If I think something is cheaper somewhere else, I just don't buy it.

If we are getting one in central Ohio, I wonder if I could work out a mail delivery and direct deposit there...

godale
February 17, 2012, 05:36 PM
i live in steubenville ohio. we have have a location in wheeling wva. one has to be a millionare to shop there. although the employees in the gun dept seem smarter than ganders people

ScrapMetalSlug
February 17, 2012, 05:46 PM
Cabelas is a store that is fun to go to with a lot to look at, but I usually don't buy very much.
The funniest thing I saw was when I went to the Michigan one and looked around in the "bargain cave" which said NO RETURNS on anything in the bargain cave. I actually saw some non-refillable propane cylinders for camping stoves that were EMPTY, marked $2.00. Empty propane bottles with no returns.

Ky Larry
February 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
There's supposed to be a Cabelas opening in Louisville in Spring of 2013.
Sometimes Cabelas has very good deals. When I travel to Pontiac, I always stop at the Dundee, Mich store. On one trip a couple of years ago, I got 1,000 Nosler 240gr JHP .44 bullets for $100.00.

2ifbyC
February 17, 2012, 05:56 PM
They have a gigando one in Glendale, AZ across from the University of Phoenix stadium. It’s an adventure to visit but it’s a two hour drive for me.

However, besides Cabela’s high prices, AZ has one of the highest sales taxes in the USA; 10.35% in my area and not much less in Glendale. So if you ship, you pay shipping and still pay the sales tax due to the “brick & mortar” rule. Therefore, I purchase most of my gun supplies from out of state dealers.

The place is usually packed so they are either there to look like I am or they like the up-close an personal experience.:confused:

Jeff H
February 17, 2012, 06:53 PM
Well that sucks for me. Too far to drive for an afternoon visit and now I'll pay sales tax every time I order online. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

gpb
February 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
I agree with post #21. Too far for a drive and now I'll pay taxes when I on-line order, if I on-line order again.

Longrifle2506
February 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
They just showed on the News last night that Cabela's is building a 90,000 square foot store in Louisville, Kentucky. So man, it sounds like they are really expanding. I prefer Cabela's over Bass Pro; so I'm glad to see it come. The Louisville, KY store will be complete in the Spring of 2013; so in a little over a year.

340PD
February 17, 2012, 07:19 PM
Good for all the sportsmen. Cabela's stocks a ton of merchandise. No one can be the low priced store every time. I find the stores to be full of a huge variety of "stuff" that is to my liking. I thank them for having a couple of stores in my part of the country (MN) and I buy from them every chance I get.

The Lone Haranguer
February 17, 2012, 09:42 PM
Cabela's is arguably the best of the "big box" sporting goods stores if firearms are your primary interest. I loved going to the store in Glendale, AZ when I was there. Prices were generally competitive with the area LGSs, with deeper discounts available if you used their Visa card. (I took advantage of that several times.) Maybe a store will come out this way some day.

flatlander937
February 17, 2012, 09:47 PM
I'll have to check it out on a trip to Columbus some time... maybe visit Cabela's and grab a Thurmanator at the Thurman Cafe:D

Ohio Gun Guy
November 24, 2012, 06:43 PM
Here is an update for anyone in driving distance of Columbus (Polaris, Gemini Exit)

All press info says it will open in spring 2013. I saw one article where someone indicated "Early Spring"

matrem
November 24, 2012, 08:01 PM
I live about an hour north, but the wife & daughter seem to manage to get to Polaris once a month or so. Maybe I'll just have to start going with them.
I can see my Cabelas Visa getting an even bigger workout.
My brother has to drive past that five days a week. I'm betting his Cabelas Visa is really going to get a workout.

doc2rn
November 24, 2012, 08:36 PM
Score! Now maybe I can get some .22 WMR Speer Gold Dot for short barrels.

michael85
November 24, 2012, 08:40 PM
nooo, damn sales tax!

matrem
November 24, 2012, 08:52 PM
nooo, damn sales tax!
Uh.Hmm.
You do know you're supposed to pay that anyway, whether an in state store or not?

Pacsd
November 24, 2012, 10:09 PM
whooop-de-doo. I avoid the "C" store. I'll pay 10 bucks more for a product at a localaly owned store anyday. Nothing more than a museum surrounded by China made, overpriced, overrated products.

1911 guy
November 24, 2012, 10:18 PM
Yeah. Accountant at work got an e-mail from the Oh. Atty Gen. "reminding" us (my company) that sales tax was to be accounted for when filing taxes for the year. This applies to individuals, too. E-mail mentioned they would begin auditing for this come 2012 tax cycle. So it doesn't relly matter if the store is on an opposite coast or right next door.

arizona98tj
November 24, 2012, 11:57 PM
I live about 5 miles away from the Glendale, AZ store. Shipping is free if you have the item shipped to the store....then drive over and pick it up. I also have seen coupons this year with months worth of free shipping. Once every month or two, they open the store to card holders and we get employee pricing. Not a bad deal.

The Cabela's here is very competitive with the various LGS. I wait until I have a coupon for 15~20% off....then catch an item or two on sale....the price is WAY better than the other retailers in town. I've bought just as many guns at the LGS as I have at Cablea's....more actually. I don't see any special courtesy extended for being a "loyal" customer...and I don't ask nor expect it. Just sayin' the LGS are what they are....out to make money like any other business. I find the Cabela's no more nor no less capable when discussing firearms at the counter. I've heard the same truths and BS from those "good ol' boys" at the LGS.

One thing is for sure....Cabela's has a much larger selection of virtually anything I am interested in.

Kevin Rohrer
November 25, 2012, 12:31 AM
+1 to what Godale said.

To anyone who lives in the eastern half of Ohio: Cabela$' prices are a high-priced joke compared to Fin, Fur, and Feather (Ashland, Berea, and Canton); as well as the Sportsmen's Den in Shelby. These two stores have much better prices, and much better reloading component selections.

And those living in or near Massillon know about that secret place where reloading component prices are even better. I'd mention their name, but I have been sworn to secrecy. :evil:

Cabela$ is not worth even visiting. I went to the one in Mi a few years ago to look for powder, primers, etc., and found that I have more powder on my shelves than they stocked. Thank God someone else drove. :fire:

Reloadron
November 25, 2012, 12:55 AM
I'll check it out as I have kids & grand kids in the Polaris area and a few sisters in Worthington. I've also been wanting to check out the Fin, Feather & Fur locations. Especially the Berea location. Think I drive past that one going to the Berea Gun Show (Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds). Nothing to lose checking out either of them.

Ron

stickhauler
November 25, 2012, 03:57 AM
i live in steubenville ohio. we have have a location in wheeling wva. one has to be a millionare to shop there. although the employees in the gun dept seem smarter than ganders people

We're not talking about an incredibly high bar to clear there, are we? In the Dayton area, Gander Mountain has put up billboards claiming to be "the biggest gun store in Ohio." Which even my usual local gun shop disputes. And they're right, they have more gun related stuff than the area Gander Mountain location. At much better prices, and their staff has forgotten more stuff about guns than the Gander gun department crew knows combined.

Ohio Gun Guy
November 25, 2012, 08:56 AM
I try hard not to be confused for asking for advice in most stores. Customer Service 101: Repeat until the victim goes away... "I don't know where that is, is there anything else I can help you with"

I've been to the "Fin" a few times, It's a decent store. I've sworn off Gander Mountain, the prices are not just High, but the kind of prices you would expect the Week after Congress bans further manufacture and importation of guns and ammo.

The best / largest gun store in Columbus is Vance's and I like Vances, except there is an hour wait because they are so busy. My opinion is that they are currently the only "Real" gun store in Columbus / Central Ohio. If Fin Feather Fur were closer they would compete, which would bring the prices down in both stores. Vances bought Buckeye Outdoor so many years ago to keep from competing in it's own back yard... I believe a little competition is good for me (the consumer.) I dont think Cabelas would be spending the money to put a store in Central Ohio if the marked was saturated. They are expanding, but nothing like a Wal-Mart, etc. These are "Select" markets for a reason.

gp911
November 25, 2012, 09:17 AM
If you like Vance's you'd love their Buckeye Outdoors location in Hebron. Same prices but much more product on the shelves and you don't need an associate to grab the ammo for you.

berettaprofessor
November 25, 2012, 10:51 AM
whooop-de-doo. I avoid the "C" store. I'll pay 10 bucks more for a product at a localaly owned store anyday. Nothing more than a museum surrounded by China made, overpriced, overrated products.

a) $10 more doesn't even come close...my local pawn broker can match their listed gun prices (barely) but he can't match the fact that I've got a Cabelas credit card and routinely get $200-$300 off of a gun buy at Cabelas depending on how long its been since I visited the store...I once got a Springfield EM9 with the accessories package completely on points.

b) Their items aren't made in China any more than any other sporting goods store....

c) The museum part is pretty neat and keeps women and children busy while, for once, the men get to shop.

p.s. I don't own stock in Cabelas...I just buy there...a lot.

huntsman
November 25, 2012, 11:38 AM
All press info says it will open in spring 2013. I saw one article where someone indicated "Early Spring"

I need money, lots of money before spring :) I'll be there to buy ;)

klmspider
November 25, 2012, 01:17 PM
Nice book about Cabela's, and other similar corporations. It is called "Free Lunch" by Cay Johnston.
Cabela's creates grand stores, but only after sucking as many tax breaks and corporate welfare grants they can possibly extract from local governments. They demand tax-free treatment for the "museums" they create in their stores.

Gander Mountain is one of the few corporations that exist that actually have a corporate policy AGAINST, getting corporate welfare.

Reloadron
November 25, 2012, 05:03 PM
Nice book about Cabela's, and other similar corporations. It is called "Free Lunch" by Cay Johnston.
Cabela's creates grand stores, but only after sucking as many tax breaks and corporate welfare grants they can possibly extract from local governments. They demand tax-free treatment for the "museums" they create in their stores.

Gander Mountain is one of the few corporations that exist that actually have a corporate policy AGAINST, getting corporate welfare.
While I despise this practice I won't overly fault any business who does it. I live in Bedford Heights, Ohio (A Cleveland Suburb) which for decades was home to a very large SYSCO Foods distributor base. SYSCO represented a flat out $1,000,000 annually to the city. The City of Cleveland offered up a better tax abatement plan and SYSCO after decades packed up and moved. The point here is that everyday communities throughout America practice poaching techniques to draw businesses. For my small city the city services will suffer. The businesses in turn take the best deal they can find.

So a business shops for a good deal, the locations ultimately have the option of offering or not offering the deal. The deals usually have jobs tied to them.

Ultimately for the practice to stop, it will likely take some form of legislation to level the playing field as it is ultimately the taxpayer who suffers. The same game is played right up through the state levels.

Just My Opinion...

Ron

460Kodiak
November 26, 2012, 11:56 PM
Congrats!!!! Enjoy the overpriced guns!!!! I do!!!!!

You may want to look into getting a Cabela's Visa Card. It is a good way to supplement your habit if you use the card for everything and pay it off right away.

I pay all the bills I can with mine. I've got $902 dollars in points saved, and they will be cashed in real soon on a gun. The nice thing is now you will have a relatively cheap FFL dealer near by. I think it's only a $25 dollar transfer fee for a handgun you ship or have shipped in.

breakingcontact
November 27, 2012, 12:00 AM
I'm not a local gun shop snob, but aside from looking at the mounts and fish tanks, I don't find Cabelas to be an enjoyable shopping experience.

I find a nice combination between my local gun shop(s) and Academy Sports.

mljdeckard
November 27, 2012, 12:02 AM
Fantastic. Go in and spectate, see the fish feeding, fondle the guns lustfully, take a deep breath, and then go buy it at your local gun store. :)

Blind Dog Jake
November 27, 2012, 02:53 AM
^^^^^^ That's what I do at Bass Pro in N.W. Ohio and Cabela's in Dundee Mich. Works great for me and the local gun store owner.

Reloadron
November 27, 2012, 05:52 AM
We use the Cabela's Visa. Comes in real handy when we buy gifts for friends and family for Christmas. We have a whole list that we send like the bacon sampler to and those other meat samplers. Nice also as Cabelas maintains the list of names and addresses, all we need to provide is the gift item and name.

Ron

harrygunner
November 27, 2012, 07:58 PM
I like Cabelas. Before I left California, they were a reminder that the American lifestyle still existed.

Just realized, I've visited quite a few of their stores. Relished a wild boar sandwich in their Reno store and bought a Marlin 45-70 rifle. Made purchases in their stores in Mitchell, SD; Kansas City; Glendale, AZ; Lehi, UT and Boise, ID.

Do tend to not buy Cabelas branded accessories. Usually not the best of breed.

Congrats, Ohio.

BlkHawk73
November 27, 2012, 09:04 PM
When they announced one here everyone was excited. well a few years later, the excitement has dwindled a lot. Enough so that they're performing far under the corporate expectations from what I'm hearing from folks well above the hourly employees. Guessing the poor availability of some stock and the stupidly overpriced stuff in the firearms department is a good part of the reason.

Timmypage16
November 27, 2012, 09:32 PM
I just hope Cabelas brings down the prices at Gander Mountain. Ammo prices there are a joke compared to Vance's. Now all Columbus needs is its own Fin Feather and Fir so that I don't have to drive an hour to get a good selection of reloading supplies.

SwampWolf
November 30, 2012, 05:54 PM

And your locally owned store inventories mostly American-made goods? Yeah, right. :rolleyes: I'm curious as to what your local store sells that is American-made that Cabella's doesn't and what it is that they sell that is so much cheaper than what Cabella's charges.
I live a couple of miles from the "Fin" and a few more miles from The Sportsman's Den here in north-central Ohio and, whereas I'm fortunate enough to be able to do most of my outdoor and shooting gear shopping at those two places, I still enjoy visiting Cabella's when I'm in the area (along with Bass Pro and Gander Mountain) and almost always leave after having bought something or two. It's been my experience that Cabella's is not over-priced and that they treat their customers well and stand behind the products they sell.
However, though I live in Ohio and like the idea of a Cabella's store being relatively nearby, like fellow Buckeye Jeff H noted, I live too far from the Columbus area to make a special trip and now I'll have to pay sales tax along with shipping costs when I order from the catalog.
And, yeah, matrem, Quote:
"...nooo, damn sales tax!

Uh.Hmm.
You do know you're supposed to pay that anyway, whether an in state store or not?"
I pay anyway, much like you do, I presume...:uhoh:

HOWARD J
November 30, 2012, 11:36 PM
For me it is a 90 mile round trip--at the price of gas I will shop at the local gun shop.

bracer
December 2, 2012, 07:26 AM
I have to drive 80 miles round trip to a town to the west or to the south to look at a firearm. Cabelas to the south had a black friday deal , I got a $ 10 and the wife got a $ 20 discount card by being there at 5 AM. They had a Winchester wooden box holding 300 ea 22 RF HP ammo for $ 14.99 ,so I got two boxes . At times I get cards in the mail listing discounts like now . Purchase $ 100- $ 199.99 get $ 20 off or over $ 500 get $ 75 off. I plan on getting a 17 Hornet rifle so befor I get the rifle I ll be getting a scope, sling, reloading dies, cases which should cost over $ 500. Then I ll use up the Cabela bucks when getting the rifle. I dont know if its a good deal, but driving 240 miles round trip to Cheyenne ,Wyo would add a lot of $$ to a rifle purchase.

DurangoKid
December 2, 2012, 09:48 AM
I just love driving up to a Big Cabelas store where the American Flags fly. Yep, they are a carnival and state fair for outdoor folks. You can shop guns old and new and yes feed fish why not? They offer deals and I use my points to buy a case of pistol ammo ever so often. It pleases me to know that the American Hunter and shooter is such a powerful part of the U.S. retail economy. The liberals would have us believe that we are a dying breed. Well the folks at Cabelas don't seem to agree.:D

Ohio Gun Guy
January 5, 2013, 11:05 PM
It looks to me like they are well on track for that "Spring 2013" opening.....

Ohio Gun Guy
January 8, 2013, 08:33 PM
I have been having trouble determining when the Cabelas will open. I am in Construction and can tell they are getting close. I drive by, almost every day, unless I'm going to my job site.... They had a door opened this morning and I could see inside, I saw interior partitions being built and some finished and painted. My guess is that by February they will be doing the custom finishes....

My google-foo has had trouble finding a date, except I stumbled into the "bone collector's" web site and it appears the "Michael" has the Cabelas Grand Opening, Columbus Ohio on his schedule for March 9, 2013.....

We'll see if this is correct, it looks about right to me!

Westfair
January 9, 2013, 06:32 AM
We finally got one here in northern WA - the Tulalip store. It was nice to finally get a big "sporting goods" store that wasn't just jocks and socks.

It's a fun store for our types to just get lost in. Prices might not be the best, but I like being able to look and feel things I am considering buying. Sure they sometimes just end up being a showroom for Amazon or other online outlets, but more often than not I find a deal or the price becomes comparable when shipping costs from whoknowsitstan is considered.

mcdonl
January 9, 2013, 12:27 PM
I like cabelas. I have a nice fisher cat I caught in one :)

Reloadron
January 9, 2013, 08:14 PM
We were down in Worthington over the holidays and from I-71 it does look to be coming along nicely. Since we have kids, grand kids and family down there when we run down I'll be visiting the new store. Been meaning to get over to Fin, Feather and Fur also. While I can buy online I also just enjoy wandering a large store and checking things out.

Ron

SwampWolf
January 10, 2013, 03:32 PM
The "Fin" is a great sporting goods store with decent prices. The one in Ashland has, by far, the largest inventory of everything (as compared with their stores in Middleburg Heights and Canton) but be advised that, other than the Christmas/New Year holiday time, they are closed on Mondays.

Reloadron
January 10, 2013, 07:06 PM
Noted, closed on Mondays. Thanks...

Ron

Ohio Gun Guy
January 14, 2013, 12:55 AM
Per the Columbus Dispatch, "Cabela’s to open first Ohio store on March 7..." 11:00am

The 7th is a Thursday. Why 11:00am on a weekday? Any retail people here have a guess at that. MY construction guy guess is it gives them 2 days of insurance to be done, before the weekend,

Ohio Gun Guy
February 17, 2013, 11:45 PM
There is now a big banner advertising March 7th at 11:00am

Any of you going?

I've been asking for gift cards since they announced the store...

Can any Cabelas regulars tell me what their military surplus gun offerings are?

texasgun
February 18, 2013, 03:28 AM
while I enjoy walking through a Cabelas and looking at stuff.... they are very overpriced. my local small firearms dealer is across the board cheaper than Cabelas.

Reloadron
February 18, 2013, 06:19 AM
With a grand daughter birthday party in Worthington on March 9th I see this now as a multi purpose trip. :)

Maybe get down there on Friday the 8th and check it out.

Ron

If you enjoyed reading about "Cabelas is coming to Ohio" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!