Is this a real S&W or cheap spanish knockoff 38 S&W special CTG?

PDA

carterd
February 17, 2012, 11:11 PM
This info may be sketchy because I got it over the phone from my 83 year old cousin. Here's how he described it. Appears to be a nickle 5 shot revolver with a 3" barrel. AEV 5391 on the butt grip. Smith and Wesson, Made in USA, Springfield Mass. on the barrel. Stamped on the Crane X1649, ~R4, Mod 80. On the left side looking from the rear S&W logo stamped on the frame. Checkered wooden grip w/ S&W logo on each. Can anyone help me determine if this is a real Smith or a knockoff?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this a real S&W or cheap spanish knockoff 38 S&W special CTG?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
February 18, 2012, 12:23 AM
I think it safe to say it is an S&W, made just where it says, in the USA. (Not many things made there any more!)

But the Model 80 doesn't ring any bells. Could it possibly be Model 60?

Jim

rcmodel
February 18, 2012, 01:36 PM
+1
By the serial number:
A Model 60 Chiefs Special made in 1987 sounds about right.

The Model 60 is stainless steel, not nickel finish.

There haven't been any of those Spanish S&W rip-offs made since before WWII.

BTW: CTG is just the abbreviation for the caliber.
As in ".38 S&W Special Cartridge."

rc

carterd
February 19, 2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the information gentlemen. It very likely is a Model 60. I'll ask him to take another look. I will not see the pistol til the end of the month when my cousing comes for a visit.

Brockak47
February 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
it's most likely a mod 60
I just got myself an old style mod 60 a few weeks ago in trade, hope your cuz likes it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this a real S&W or cheap spanish knockoff 38 S&W special CTG?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!