Glocks and Federal Champion ammo

PDA

TheProf
February 18, 2012, 07:09 AM
Here's the deal...

1. Out of every 100 rounds fired in my G27 3rd gen, I get one FTF (the spent shell is ejected, but the next one fails to chamber). I have experimented with just using stock mags, buying brand new mags, and even changing the RSA....all to no avail.

I have over 5,000 rounds in this gun, so I am familiar with the .40 recoil. In fact, I do like the recoil and miss it when I fire my G26 (3rd gen).

2. I have over 3000 rounds in my G26 with not one problem.

Question:
My suspicion from reading various articles is that maybe my range ammo may be underpowered (Federal champion .40 caliber) (the maroon colored box).

Any opinions out there?

How would you rank WWB, PMC brands in comparison to Federal champion brand?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glocks and Federal Champion ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ben86
February 18, 2012, 08:39 AM
That federal stuff is a little light. WWB seems to have more pep from my experience. Is Fed the only brand you've had this problem with?

ORHunter79
February 18, 2012, 12:08 PM
Same here. My G27 FTF 1-2 rounds out of every 50 if using Federal.

Pupulepete
February 18, 2012, 01:07 PM
I've put a few thousand 9mm rounds through a G17 and P226. However, I have experienced one issue in a friends dirty gun. Definitely light.

TheProf
February 18, 2012, 02:00 PM
I definitely know I have had this problem with federal brand (which is what I have been using for awhile). I am in the process of seeing if this is the same with WWB and PMC brands. I plan to do a 200 round test with each of those brands.

But I wanted to hear from others and see about their experience.

1. Is it me? (limp wristing?) I don't think so. No problems with my G26. And with my G27, there was a stretch of 500 rounds with no problems. But I can't recall if I was using WWB at that point. I know that I did switch to Federal Brand at some point due to the lower price.

2. Is it the Glock (model 27)? Hmmm... I'm a fan of the brand and I doubt it.

3. So...is it the ammo?

GLOOB
February 18, 2012, 11:35 PM
I believe the stock recoil spring on my G27 is worn out after only a few thousand rounds. If you are really up to 5000, I'd change it.

In fact, I took out the old, original stock spring just to try it out, today, since I was shooting some medium powered reloads. I was afraid my 20 lb aftermarket spring might be too heavy, since most of my shooting is with full tilt loads.

Darn thing couldn't fully chamber the rounds. It choked this way an average of twice or so per 15 rd mag. Sure, it could be my reloads were slightly too long or not enough crimp. But with the 20 lb spring, had no real issues, other than I can't get the gun to reliably cycle when I shoot it with just my left hand (with any loads I've tried, so far). Oh, also had one complete failure to eject with the stock spring (empty still in the chamber - try to double-feed).... indication of the gun unlocking too early. This had happened before with some hot loads, but now it's even happening with midrange stuff. Definitely a worn out spring.

The G27 uses the same slide weight and recoil spring as the G26. So although I've never shot that ammo, I am a little doubtful that FC 40SW is so weak that it short cycles a stock G27, unless you have a really weak grip. But if that's the case, then that's the case. You didn't mention how the next round fails to feed, though.

If, OTOH, the next round starts to cycle but doesn't chamber all the way, then I suspect a weak recoil spring. The recoil spring on the G27 has less margin for wear than the G26 to begin with, and then it takes more abuse. The extractor is tighter than the 9mm version. The chamber/ramp cutout is relatively smaller on the 3rd gen and later G27. These differences mean increased force needed to chamber a round... so regular maintenance is more important.

My G19 has choked twice in maybe 7k rounds. I can't remember how many I've had on my G27, but it's a heck of a lot. Granted, I've always been able to identify the problem and fix it. (Mainly to keep your recoil and 15rd mag springs fresh!) But it definitely isn't the care-free "AK of handguns" that the G17/19 is.

How would you rank WWB, PMC brands in comparison to Federal champion brand?
I've shot quite a bit of the PMC Bronze (I think 165 gr) FMJ, and they're pretty stout. A little hotter than WWB 180 gr., I think. One thing I like about PMC is they're the only company I know of that uses an ammo tray that actually fits 40SW. I save all mine! :)

chrcmurr
February 19, 2012, 01:14 PM
I had the same problem out of a G17. It would eat anything, but the cheap Federal Champions always produced at least one FTE per box. The slide doesn't get thrown back hard enough to eject the spent round and it partially feeds the next round causing a stovepipe. They are just cheap, inconsistent loads and you get what you pay for. The silver lining is that you get to practice tap and rack exercises which are often neglected (albeit not necessary) in Glocks.

Good luck!

GLOOB
February 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
Yeah, lots of people having this issue with Glock 9mm's and wally world powderpuff ammo, esp the fourth gens which have heavier recoil springs. OP has a G27, which has the opposite problem. It's sprung on the light side.

So unless 40SW FC produces the same momentum as 9mm FC, then I don't think it's the same problem.

IIRC, the 3rd gen Glock 9mm and 40SW guns all use the same weight recoil spring - 17 lbs.

So the 22.04 oz G17 and the 19.75 oz G27 both use the same weight recoil spring, even though the lighter G27 shoots a cartridge with around 30% more momentum.

Weak ammo isn't going to short stroke a stock G27 unless you use a light grip.

the_hustleman
February 19, 2012, 03:57 PM
Have no problems shooting out of my m&p. I guess you just need a better gun.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

chanroc
February 19, 2012, 08:05 PM
I've only had one malfunction with my XDm (.40 S&W), and that was with the Federal Champion. The case didn't eject properly. I'm not going to loose sleep over the remaining boxes I still have, but unless it's a heck of a lot cheaper than CCI Blazers, I won't be buying any more. It could of been a fluke, but I haven't had any issues with CCIs or WWB. Federal's 180 grain HSTs have worked flawlessly, so it's not all Federal's ammo.

JoeMal
February 19, 2012, 08:08 PM
I shoot the snot out of my G17 with the Federal Champion 9mm...never had a problem. Have never had any problems with the WWB either. Coming up on 5k rounds on my Glock and the only problem I've had is new users 'limp wristing'

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
February 19, 2012, 08:24 PM
I have a Gen4 G22 but I haven't been able to shoot it yet. However I have an Astra A90 that I've put around a thousand rounds through it already, it does have issues (weak magazine springs). Since I've switched to Remington UMC in 9mm for the Astra, even with the weak mag springs, I have less FTFeed issues. I've noticed the UMC rounds seem a little hotter, which if I'm thinking correctly, is causing my slide to come back further? Idk, it's just what I've noticed. Try Remington UMC.

Just my $0.02.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glocks and Federal Champion ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!