Talk me out of doing something silly

PDA

alana
February 19, 2012, 12:03 AM
Not that frequent of a shooter. Not rifles at least.

Have a couple of long guns. The obligatory 223 with an AWS for the wife and social work and a decent heavy 308 bolt with a scope to reach out and touch small pieces of paper.

I shoot lefty. Which is limiting.

I have this bizarre urge to get something in a silly big caliber. For some reason I can't enumerate, the 375 Ruger is doing it for me. I have this (stupid and overkill) desire to walk about in the woods with a short (<=20" barrel) to shoot things in CONUS. I don't even normally shoot things (that move) but I still have this unnatural craving...

There is a guy on Gunbroker in ME casually selling laminate LH 20" 375 Rugers (think Alaskan but with a laminate stock) that are pushing all the right buttons for me looks wise. Price is sub-1K. I'm ok with that range fwiw, but cheaper is always better.

I know it's silly. I know it is overkill. I don't have a cogent argument as to what is a better option, either vis a vis price or usability but I'm willing to listen to reason - maybe. I don't think I'm a recoil junkie, and although I got married in Africa, I have no burning desire to go back there any time soon.

Anyone care to talk me down or should I just go big early and suffer the consequences?

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk me out of doing something silly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hogshead
February 19, 2012, 12:06 AM
Go big.

beatledog7
February 19, 2012, 12:09 AM
When the big bore fever strikes, the cure is a truly useful big bore: 45-70.

Certaindeaf
February 19, 2012, 12:12 AM
I like the way you talk but don't do that. You asked and so shall ye..

El Mariachi
February 19, 2012, 12:13 AM
Alana? You're my new hero-of-the-week. But just like your post......I don't really know why....:D

tcrocker
February 19, 2012, 12:19 AM
How about a 9.3x62mm? It uses a standard long action and recoil is mild. It is only 200fps slower than a 375HH. Here is mine it's a CZ 550FS.
http://http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/003-4.jpg

alana
February 19, 2012, 12:20 AM
Oh dear. A site full of enablers. Should have known better...

Educate me. I'm ignorant not trolling. Apart from a bigger hole in the barrel, how is a 45-70 better than a 375 Ruger.

jem375
February 19, 2012, 12:22 AM
Get the 375 Ruger, shade better than a 375 H&H magnum. My big toy is a 375JDJ rifle and pistol...

El Mariachi
February 19, 2012, 12:30 AM
'A site full of enablers.' Oh lawd, but that's a good one. Now just wait until you get into serious off roading......or long distance sailing, and you're gonna appreciate those $1,000.00 rifles so much more.......:D

alana
February 19, 2012, 12:32 AM
I'm also into old cars. My wife wants me to get more into guns because they are cheap. You get the idea...

El Mariachi
February 19, 2012, 12:42 AM
I know what you mean....we just sold our rather large and costly six figure sailboat. Now when I bring home a two hundred dollar C & R rifle or a box of ammo, my wife gives me huge wet kisses....:D

Certaindeaf
February 19, 2012, 12:47 AM
You need to get an H&H and use it as a jousting stick.

I just felt compelled to say that.

ThorinNNY
February 19, 2012, 12:56 AM
Get a .45-70 lever action. Better for shooting leftie than a RH bolt rifle and .45-70 is ...well just get it , you`ll love it!

matt 7mm
February 19, 2012, 12:57 AM
actualy if you can handle the recoil the 375 ruger or h&h are both extremely versitile cartridges.they have a good selection of bullets and fairly flat trajectory for long range shooting plus enough power to kill anything on the planet.as a left handed shooter i was surprised to find three left handed 375 rugers on GB.i had a H&H a few years back and evently traded it off because it just wasnt that fun for me to take that kind of beating.but if i spent much time in grizzly country i would definatly want to carry exactly the gun you are talking about.if you have the extra cash and your wife thinks its a good idea why not!Those marlin guide guns in 45-70 are a fun little gun to shoot and are pretty deadly out to a 100 yards or so.I have a marlin 1895g 45-70 that came factory ported that i would never consider parting with.

alana
February 19, 2012, 01:01 AM
The LH was one of the clinchers in my original post.
I want a short barrel and I'm not shooting righty.

Still Shooting
February 19, 2012, 01:34 AM
You earned the money. Presumably, this rifle won't break the budget (however, a divorce will). As long as your wife is OK with it, well, you know what they say: "The only difference between men and boys, is the size and the cost of our toys!"

If she doesn't already, see if your wife will go shooting with you (NOT with a .375 Ruger!). I did that, and when I walked in the front door with a 7mm WSM, my wife met me and said, "What's in the box?"

I responded, "It's a Savage 7 millimetre Winchester Short Magnum."

She came back with, "Does this mean I can have your .270?"

-Now, that's my girl!

warbirdlover
February 19, 2012, 01:38 AM
That's a hell of a good deal on that Ruger. Go for it!!

SharkHat
February 19, 2012, 02:12 AM
(left shoulder)
No. Stop. Don't go near the big shiny caliber.

(right shoulder)
DOOO EEEEEET!!!!!!

alana
February 19, 2012, 02:13 AM
If she doesn't already, see if your wife will go shooting with you (NOT with a .375 Ruger!).

Wife's a bit anti-gun. That said, the AR with Eotech is for her - she wanted something to cuddle when I travel ;)
Bought it, sighted it, took her to the range and 10 shots later she decided it was too easy and was into the iron sights. Scary good she was too...

Proudest moment this year :D

Gtscotty
February 19, 2012, 02:25 AM
Incoming enabling link:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/72432/Ruger+77+Hawkeye+African+.375+Ruger+Left+Hand+SatinBlue

Left hand CRF action with Irons, chambered in a big-boy cartridge.... whats not to like?

Also, Howa rifles are being made in .375 Ruger, but I don't know if they're available in LH...

Dr. Sandman
February 19, 2012, 09:17 AM
Life is very short, my friend. DO IT!!!

303tom
February 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
Have you talked to your Dr. about this Affliction ? O hell go for it.................

carlo1776
February 19, 2012, 01:43 PM
There are consequence, you will now need to try it on an Alaskan moose. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Zor
February 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
Everybody tried to talk me out of buying a 300wsm. Said it was a bruiser, overkill, not necessary etc. Well I bought it and I love it. Go for the 375 if that's what you're into. The good thing about buying guns is, you can sell em if you don't like em. I've never lost money selling a gun. Go buy yourself the Ruger, make sure you get a deal, and if it's a real bastard on the shoulder and you don't enjoy it, sell it like your sailboat. No harm, no foul.

ldhulk
February 19, 2012, 06:24 PM
Buy or borrow a single barrel 12 gauge, as light weight as possible, with a hard buttplate. Get some Winchester Supreme slugs and find a place to shoot where you can rest the back of your shoulder firmly against a big tree. Fire off a dozen of these slugs. Check what your shoulder looks like in the mirror the next day. Send me the money you saved over what you would have paid for the Ruger instead of the cheap shotgun.

velocette
February 19, 2012, 06:41 PM
DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT!
There I tried to talk you out of it.
Make sure you clean and lubricate your new rifle thoroughly when you get
home with it.

Roger

Imperial Guardsman
February 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
I'm going to second the 45-70 crowd.
You can get a nice lever action that will work with your wrong handedness very well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk me out of doing something silly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!