vehicle license plates

PDA

roge
February 19, 2012, 12:54 PM
Is displatying Tex. state rifle association vehicle license plates bad idea?

If you enjoyed reading about "vehicle license plates" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
guzzi
February 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
Why would you think so?

My wife has a Kansas State Rifle Association, Double Tap Defensive Pistol Shooting Club, and a NRA sticker on her little pickup. Is there something she is supposed to be afraid of?

Coyote3855
February 19, 2012, 01:23 PM
There is only one objection to such displays that makes any sense to me. Car prowlers may expect to find firearms in a vehicle with such plate holders or bumper stickers. I don't know if that's realistic. I prefer to be anonymous.

esheato
February 19, 2012, 01:23 PM
I used to live in CA and was always discreet but now that I live in TX I have a custom plate that says ACK IMP for my Ackley chambered rifles. I've had a couple serious shooters approach me knowing what it meant but most people dont...and that is the way I like it.

rooter
February 19, 2012, 01:31 PM

It just suggests to others they can find guns inside the house where this vehicle is parked. If that is OK with you, it is Ok with me.

Kinda like the cutsie bumper stickers saying "Driver only carries $20 worth of ammunition." I often wonder if these folks didn't get enough attention growing up. All that bumper sticker really says to me is "Don't tell me I'm going to be robbed, say nothing and shoot me in the head, then rob me, cause I'm carrying a gun." I kinda like being low key and having the element of surprise on my side.

roge
February 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
I have read threads where displaying simple NRA stickers or any suggesting pro gun rights views have become targets of vehicle breakins thinking there must be a firearm inside.

tyeo098
February 19, 2012, 01:53 PM
I have read threads where displaying simple NRA stickers or any suggesting pro gun rights views have become targets of vehicle breakins thinking there must be a firearm inside.
Really?

I've heard a lot of hearsay, but never seen an actual news report.

If you have, I'd love to see it :D

ball3006
February 19, 2012, 01:53 PM
If you live in the city, it is not a good idea to draw attention that you are a gun owner. If you outside of the city, I don't believe there will be a problem but I again,I say, why draw attention to yourself? chris3

Black Butte
February 19, 2012, 02:02 PM
Car prowlers may expect to find firearms in a vehicle with such plate holders or bumper stickers.

Not just your car, prowlers can follow you to your residence and be pretty much guaranteed they'll find firearms there. Then they simply wait until you're not home and bye bye guns.

You'll never even know how it happened. You'll suspect an acquaintance who knew you had weapons did some talking while all along it was the sticker on your vehicle that announced to the criminal population: "guns here -- please come get them."

roge
February 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
Thank you everyone. As much as I want those plates, I think the cons outweight the pros.

gunnutery
February 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
I just recently heard about gang members placing tags on vehicles parked at gun shows and exhibitions to tip them off later if they see them parked in a better location to burgle.

Jorg Nysgerrig
February 19, 2012, 03:15 PM
I just recently heard about gang members placing tags on vehicles parked at gun shows and exhibitions to tip them off later if they see them parked in a better location to burgle
This claim has been thoroughly refuted by the organization the originator claimed issued the warning. The tags on the vehicles appear to have been nothing more than marks placed by the manufacturer on tires. There was nothing to back this up other than a histrionic Facebook posts that then everyone re-posted.
http://www.nssa-nsca.org/index.php/2012/01/nsc-response-to-rumors-about-gun-thefts/
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=7264

Back to the thread...
From most accounts, vehicle break-ins occur when a thief seems something valuable in plain view, not when they see a particular sticker or license plate. Most burglaries are also crimes of opportunity: open garages, obviously vacant homes, valuables seen through windows, etc. While it is possible there are some particularly dedicated thieves who will go the extra mile to spot a sticker on a car driving down the road and follow it home, I doubt that any difference in vehicle/home break-ins among people with gun stickers is statistically significant enough to really base a decision on.

If anyone has actual evidence of a substantially increased risk, not just anecdotes or "well, it stands to reason...", feel free to share.

CZguy
February 19, 2012, 03:50 PM
Thank you,Jorg! I was headed for Home Depot to stock up on more tin foil.

Is there a good sale going on? I don't want to miss out. :D

I generally feel that's it's best to go along without attracting attention to yourself.

AlexanderA
February 19, 2012, 04:12 PM
I keep all slogans, bumper stickers, personalized plates that imply political views, etc., off my vehicles. I have friends that are on different sides of various issues, and there's no point in uselessly alienating them. With some people, I'll express my opinions and either agree with them or try to persuade them; with others, it's best just to stay mum.

Iggy
February 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
I was driving a nice new car one day and stopped at a red light. A car load of gang banger types pulled up beside me. The passenger leaned out the window and said, "Hey mon, Nice ride, Hey mon, where you live?"
Kinda made me think...:cool:

hogshead
February 19, 2012, 04:34 PM
I dont have any stickers on my truck. I prefer to blend in and not draw attention to myself. However if I can find a "Eat More Possum" tag I will buy it.

beatledog7
February 19, 2012, 05:25 PM
I too stay way from decals and such. My license tag is personalized, but it's a reference to music, not shooting.

Kevin Rohrer
February 19, 2012, 06:18 PM

Thieves could target your vehicle, but potential carjackers might look elsewhere for easier pickings. :neener:

Also, Canadian Customs might single you out for special attention. I added an NRA-Life sticker to my rear windshield since last going to Ontario and plan on seeing if my theory is correct next year. :(

Vern Humphrey
February 19, 2012, 06:20 PM
Heck no. Display your Texas State Rifle Association plates with pride -- the more people see, the more they realize how mainstream guns are.

cardinalfan
February 19, 2012, 06:26 PM
My CCW instructors plate is "CCW".
How's that for showing what you got?

Tinpig
February 19, 2012, 06:31 PM
Do what you want, and don't worry about it. Myself, I'm proud to have an NRA sticker on my truck.

Tinpig

bikemutt
February 19, 2012, 09:42 PM
Do what you want, and don't worry about it. Myself, I'm proud to have an NRA sticker on my truck.

Tinpig
Same here, it's a personal thing.

SharpsDressedMan
February 21, 2012, 09:09 PM
More "in your face" licence plates..........I haven't even been stopped by curious police officers...............http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC06250.jpg

dev_null
February 21, 2012, 09:21 PM
I was thinking about this same topic the other day, after finding myself behind a truck with a couple of pro-gun stickers.

Now, it may be that I don't think like a crook, but my first thought was not "Oooh, that's giving somebody an opportunity to steal a gun." In fact, my thought was "OK, somebody not to mess with because they're likely to be armed."

CZguy
February 21, 2012, 10:38 PM
It is a personal choice...........kinda like open, or concealed carry.

There is no wrong answer. ;)

jay21
February 21, 2012, 10:49 PM
Mine say "GUNRNER" and has 2A crap all over it. Always heard the stories, never had much faith in them. The only issue i have believed is if someone is casing neighborhoods...but i do feel that you have a 50-50, they will either target or dismiss based on you look/stickers

crazy-mp
February 21, 2012, 11:17 PM
Not just your car, prowlers can follow you to your residence and be pretty much guaranteed they'll find firearms there. Then they simply wait until you're not home and bye bye guns.

You must have more guns than you have money for safes then. I decided that I want to protect my investments. I invented in safes, and a alarm system.

rickb2202
February 21, 2012, 11:30 PM
my bumper sticker says my other auto is a 9mm. it has attracted quite a few thumbs up from other drivers.

CZguy
February 22, 2012, 12:21 AM
my bumper sticker says my other auto is a 9mm. it has attracted quite a few thumbs up from other drivers.

Hey I like that one. Where did you get it?

Certaindeaf
February 22, 2012, 12:28 AM
Hate to say it but many places around here your ride would probably be vandalized.

sedona
February 22, 2012, 12:51 AM
I don't know about the gun stickers and plates.But the security guard where i use to live told me that the vehicles that had audio stereo advertising like JBL were very likely to get broken into.One guy had a new ford truck with 2 dollars in quarters in the front seat got his window broken out.This was 2 blocks from the police station and in a nice part of town

ArfinGreebly
February 22, 2012, 04:54 AM
Somewhere I have a photo I took of a pickup wallpapered in pro-2A stickers and related sentiments.

Tailgate covered. Sides of the bed covered. Back of the cab covered.

If you're driving near that truck on either side or behind it, there's no doubt in your mind what kind of person is at the wheel. And, in addition to thoughts like, "he could be armed," there's the additional thought:

"Don't mess with a crazy person."

tyeo098
February 22, 2012, 12:07 PM
Hey I like that one. Where did you get it?
http://www.cafepress.com/+my_other_auto_is_a_9mm_sticker_bumper,183635857

Google broken? :D

CZguy
February 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
Google broken?

No, but I'm old and I don't think that way instinctively. :o

Onward Allusion
February 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
roge
vehicle license plates

Is having a sign that says:

- I make 7 figures
- I'm a Wall Street Banker
- Protected by Smith & Wesson
- ...etc...etc...

on your car a good idea? But alas, it is a personal choice.

bhk
February 22, 2012, 02:53 PM
Around here, huge numbers of vechicles have guns in them regardless of stickers. No permit is required to carry loaded guns in cars. As far as following a car with a gun sticker home to rob the house, I would be hard pressed to think of anyone around here without guns in their homes. This problem must be localized to liberal, low gun-ownership areas of the country.

Even on a trip to our cities, I see 'zillions' of pickups with gun stickers, DU decals, NRA decals, decals of various game animals, state-issued conservation plates (with 8-point buck on them), etc. It is nice not having to hide your interests.

JustinJ
February 22, 2012, 02:55 PM
I don't know if pro gun stickers influence theifs to target a car but i do know bumper stickers don't influence people to change their views so say play it safe.

Certaindeaf
February 22, 2012, 03:02 PM
Over here you'd be best advised to drive a banged up 240 Volvo unless you want to be stoned.. with rocks. Drive a clean Mercedes or heaven forbid a nice pickup, etc.. with or without certain stickers in many parts of town, good luck to your car.

tdstout
February 22, 2012, 03:11 PM
Around here, huge numbers of vechicles have guns in them regardless of stickers. No permit is required to carry loaded guns in cars. As far as following a car with a gun sticker home to rob the house, I would be hard pressed to think of anyone around here without guns in their homes. This problem must be localized to liberal, low gun-ownership areas of the country.

+1. When you live out in the country, almost everyone has guns. I can only think of one person around here that doesn't have a gun, and he was originally from Nebraska. He's never even shot a gun. I've offered to take him out to go shooting, but he doesn't want to.

bshepherd
February 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
I had them on my truck for several years. No problems and it helps out the TSRA. :D

porchdog
February 22, 2012, 04:23 PM
I display NRA Benefactor decal. Dont care who knows or thinks what. I also have an NRA cap and vest that I am not ashamed or afraid to wear. I have had many comments on the hat and vest (all positive). The decal has never been mentioned.

j2crows
February 22, 2012, 04:39 PM
I don't have any decals on my truck. Lots of real gang members in the city. It would be just my luck that a gang member that knows how to read would get some ideas because of my gun decals!!

dprice3844444
February 22, 2012, 04:49 PM
I just recently heard about gang members placing tags on vehicles parked at gun shows and exhibitions to tip them off later if they see them parked in a better location to burgle.

sent the question to the san antonio pd chief.detective emailed back,he emailed back,nope

eat more possum plates available on amazon.com

jimmyraythomason
February 22, 2012, 05:43 PM
If you live in the city, it is not a good idea to draw attention that you are a gun owner.Everyone here is expected to have a gun unless it's proven otherwise.Heck no. Display your Texas State Rifle Association plates with pride -- the more people see, the more they realize how mainstream guns are. I agree with Vern 100%!Myself, I'm proud to have an NRA sticker on my truck.So am I and I show it!

Byrd666
February 22, 2012, 06:01 PM
I thik it'd be a great idea. It would accentuate the NRA and TSRA stickers on my truck.

SaxonPig
February 22, 2012, 06:01 PM
No gun references but I do advertise my martial arts involvement. Obviously you might be inviting comments or worse with gun plates or stickers.

http://www.fototime.com/DF4AF8F6BD02FBB/standard.jpg

230RN
February 22, 2012, 06:25 PM
Hell's bells, the way things are going nowadays, I even took my ham plates off my car a couple of years ago. You don't need to be paranoid to think this ain't a bad idea especially if you live in or near a large city.

My former wife had her passenger window broken just so they could get a full pack of cigarettes sitting on the seat. That was the only thing missing.

http://arviel.loesch.org/ARMED.jpg

( ^ Just wishful thinking. Generated off one of those on-line license plate generators.)

If this one won't make people keep their distance, I don't know what would:

http://arviel.loesch.org/MONTANA.jpg

:D

Terry, 230RN

charliehustle10
February 22, 2012, 06:36 PM
Stolen guns aren't that valuable to thieves, at least not as valuable as you would think. They can't sell them anywhere reputable, and if they are felons or committing felonies, having a firearm doesn't help their sentencing. Now I'm not saying it doesn't make your car more vulnerable to a smash and grab because obviously crooks aren't all rocket scientists,------- but someone following you home to steal your guns??? come on...

Certaindeaf
February 22, 2012, 06:58 PM
Stolen guns aren't that valuable to thieves, at least not as valuable as you would think. They can't sell them anywhere reputable, and if they are felons or committing felonies, having a firearm doesn't help their sentencing. Now I'm not saying it doesn't make your car more vulnerable to a smash and grab because obviously crooks aren't all rocket scientists,------- but someone following you home to steal your guns??? come on...
That does not compute. Sometime things are random and sometimes things are marked/targeted. If someone wants a certain score/sees a certain thing, they might take note and act. This is caveman logic.

MuleRyder
February 22, 2012, 07:06 PM
I'm not a big fan of stickers on my vehicle...no matter what they say

SharpsDressedMan
February 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
I think a thief is eligible for a mandatory five year sentence IN ADDITION to any other charges, if he steals a gun here in Ohio. Targeting guns for theft is not as popular here as it probably is in states that don't have that law. It might be the BEST gun law we have in Ohio.

gym
February 24, 2012, 01:12 PM
I have an NRA, sticker on my rear window, and a sherriff dept shield that is given to people who donate to the dept, next to my plate on both cars. I don't give it much thought. I figure being it's a German luxoury car, if they are going to hit it, it could be for a hundred different reasons. Also a KNN filter decal on my rear side window. I don't park in lots, and it's in the garage at home so it would be difficult.
Last week driving in my friends car with NY plates, we did have an incident with an angry floridian who apparentlly didn't like people from NY. So who knows what sets people off.

Certaindeaf
February 24, 2012, 02:46 PM
.Last week driving in my friends car with NY plates, we did have an incident with an angry floridian who apparentlly didn't like people from NY. So who knows what sets people off.
True. Here, people tell new out-of-state residents "you better change that plate quick". It's pretty wierd. Pretty darn nice folks and 95% truly have come from elsewhere now but that's the thinking. Heck, one of our past Governors put up billboards or something saying "thanks for visiting, don't come back".

CZguy
February 25, 2012, 12:18 AM
Certaindeaf,

Isn't that because people from other states came in and drove up the real estate prices?

But back to the topic I like to cruise in stealth mode.

Certaindeaf
February 25, 2012, 12:26 AM
^
Who knows. Been going on for decades. Anyway, stealth on, my brother.

deadasslast2004
February 26, 2012, 09:31 AM
car prowlers make for good moving target practice, but they just die toired from trying to run.

esheato
February 27, 2012, 11:28 AM
This is my Ackley Improved plate.

http://esheato.smugmug.com/photos/i-sjcBKkd/0/M/i-sjcBKkd-M.jpg

Coop45
February 27, 2012, 01:55 PM
Geez, I hope that bad guys don't see my USMC foil and follow me home hoping to steal my 1968 c-ration Pall Mall's. I see nothing wrong with the license plate and it helps the organization both in money and in advertising.

Owen Sparks
February 27, 2012, 02:25 PM
What percentage of the general public would even recognize something like
1911 A1 on a car tag? Everyone here would but then we are all gun enthusiasts. It is sort of like Bible verses on a car tag. Only people very familiar with the Bible would know what it means. Most people might know what GLOCKFAN means but how many would get something as obscure as AR15 68 or 03 A3?

Ghost Tracker
February 27, 2012, 03:17 PM
When I was young(er) & stupid(er), living in Houston, fresh out of college, on my own, I thought it would be a smart deterrent to put an NRA sticker on my apartment window. I soon discovered while it keep bad guys away while you're at home, it was a clear invitation when you were gone to work. The most expensive mistakes are the best-remembered lessons. I've been COMPLETELY covert since then (1980).

Nimrod2
February 28, 2012, 12:35 PM
I've had numerous NRA stickers & license plates on my vehicles since 1965 with no problem.
If that is a problem where you live you may want to move.

joed
February 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
It just suggests to others they can find guns inside the house where this vehicle is parked. If that is OK with you, it is Ok with me.

Kinda like the cutsie bumper stickers saying "Driver only carries $20 worth of ammunition." I often wonder if these folks didn't get enough attention growing up. All that bumper sticker really says to me is "Don't tell me I'm going to be robbed, say nothing and shoot me in the head, then rob me, cause I'm carrying a gun." I kinda like being low key and having the element of surprise on my side.
Thank you, my feelings exactly on those that display.

Skyshot
February 28, 2012, 03:41 PM
Got the NRA sticker in the window and have so since the Jimmy Carter days. I guess it's all about where you live in the country. It's a shame people have to stay under the radar in such places, but it is what it is. I would do the same if I were living in such a place. But, thank God I'm not. I think I'll stay right here in redneck, hillbilly right wing extremist country. Where every other car has an NRA sticker or a Don't trend on me sticker. So sorry for you people who live among the PC bots.

SharpsDressedMan
February 28, 2012, 05:32 PM
If you walk with your tail between your legs too long, you might forget that you have one.

Certaindeaf
February 28, 2012, 05:59 PM
Conceal (golly!). Walk softly. Tzun Tzu. Neck tattoo? anyway. People make their own choices in life.

CZguy
February 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
If you walk with your tail between your legs too long, you might forget that you have one.

That should be a campaign slogan for someone.

Or at least a bumper sticker.

deadasslast2004
February 28, 2012, 10:03 PM
the flag sticker from Goliad Texas of the canon that says "Come and take it" has served me well the last 30 or so years of my 51!

exavid
February 28, 2012, 10:32 PM
Certaindeaf - You must live in the Portland-Eugene area. Down here in S. Oregon it isn't like that. Except in Ashland of course. I have NRA stickers on my truck and car and Goldwing. There's a Gadsen "Don't tread on me" flag on the back of the bike. I also have a couple "Protected by Stag Arms" stickers with a picture of an AR on my Tracker. I think they'll get the idea. If they come after my guns it will be difficult to get them out of the safe especially with the switch underneath the safe wired to a very loud siren in the attic which is plenty loud outside. If someone manages to get the safe pulled off the bolts into the slab the siren goes off.

roge
February 29, 2012, 12:19 PM
Here ln South Texas I'm not sure that displaying pro gun jrights vehicle license plates might make my truck a possible Target, however, I haven't seen any NRA or Tex. St. Rifle Asstn. Vehicle plates . I live 10 miles from Mexico border. The only plates I see are the original state issue and some personalized first name . That was the reason of my OP. I really like to get those plates, however because of the more Cons then Pros posts makes me hesitant and undecided. I might try them for 1 yr and see what happens, not convinced thou. Keep posting and educating me. (I'm having problems posting, I don't have Smart Phone or I'm doing something wrong) Thank you all.

Certaindeaf
February 29, 2012, 02:35 PM
Last night the ocupado stoned some big businesses here. Later on today it seems they have grand and spoken of plans. They really like BMW's and or heaven forbid a beater or pretty pickup with certain stickers. They are called anarchists and that's what they live for.

Scout Dork
February 29, 2012, 02:43 PM
Target:confused: All vehicles are targets.

If you are worried about your vehicle being broken into, or stolen, don't leave anything in it. Don't leave anything visible, GPS units being the main target. Get a lock box for your valuables.

A Target while driving: your truck with tinted windows and Pro gun plate. Or my daily driver econ box with no stickers and clear windows that show just me. You might have a gun, and likely a bad target. Me, going to work, or going to the Forest Service land to go hunting with a loaded shotgun in the back seat and pistol in the passenger seat(legal in my state). I might look like the easy Target, verses the vehicle that publicizes their views. The BG has to roll the dice.

I bet that there is no data on crime with that plate. You could research your area and the make/model of your vehicle, to see the current trends. The local college/university recently saw a spike in vehicle break ins and thefts, with 2-3 vehicle a day being stolen. Vehicles are very easy to break into, with a slim jim and wire, maybe some wedges, I have only not been able to open one car in the past 15 years with out breaking anything. This is legal with the owner locking themselves out. Your vehicle is not a SAFE.

Side note: I see more and more NRA stickers.

jimmyraythomason
February 29, 2012, 03:07 PM
Side note: I see more and more NRA stickers.

Certaindeaf
February 29, 2012, 03:09 PM
.If you are worried about your vehicle being broken into, or stolen,.
You forgot about the potential vandalizing/specific targeting (murder and kidnap happen daily for essentially "no reason" ha.. why advertise where you go/do/live?) part brought about by simple advertising/stickers. Come on. Oh, I don't do facebook.

JustinJ
February 29, 2012, 04:28 PM

If i had a tail i'd be quite happy to try and forget I have it.

bikemutt
February 29, 2012, 07:15 PM
This seen on a truck always parked next to mine ;)

Certaindeaf
February 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
But you do do tinfoil! :D And worry way too much there in wet Oregon! All that rain. It is very depressing! :eek:

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA149OKr9NI)
Well, I certainly don't worry about bumper stickers.

tyeo098
March 1, 2012, 12:10 AM
We got those from Orlando up.Just lower hills and older curves! :D
You sir, owe me a soda and a new keyboard.

CZguy
March 1, 2012, 12:37 AM
Last night the ocupado stoned some big businesses here. Later on today it seems they have grand and spoken of plans. They really like BMW's and or heaven forbid a beater or pretty pickup with certain stickers. They are called anarchists and that's what they live for.

Aren't they the ones who used to fight with the loggers?

glock36
March 1, 2012, 02:14 AM
The only bumper stickers I have are from Larue Tactical that reads
Extremely Rightwing and God Bless Our Troops Especially Our Snipers. Nothing wrong with being proud about your beliefs.

P5 Guy
March 1, 2012, 05:49 PM
A few years back, in the Orlando area, as the story goes thieves would follow you home from the range. Knowing that you had shot all your ammo. Before that rental cars had a unique tag and got targeted leaving the airport by thieves, with guns.
Florida has an Imagine tag tribute to John Lennon. Do those sporting that tag worry their stash will be targeted? Florida has a Choose Life tag too. Still no 2A or other Pro-gun tag?

I've got a Florida State flag and a Galt/Reardan 2012 sticker.

JShirley
March 11, 2012, 04:25 AM
The basic question is a valid one, and it has been discussed. Unfortunately, some of you just can't stay on track. Any thread that generates a response about the tatto on someone's tush is pretty much guaranteed to be closed.

John

If you enjoyed reading about "vehicle license plates" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!