Frame and Slide Mix and Match

PDA

rlgreen
February 19, 2012, 01:27 PM
Looking for thoughts on feasibility of mixing Kimber Pro TLE II slide (Kimber's version of the commander) with an RCP frame. The idea is to replicate something close to a custom build i'm thinking of before I invest the dough in the custom. Some obvious obstacles jump out at me (guide rod differences etc.) but I'd be interested to know if its do-able.

Steering to me threads where this is already answered always welcome (I searched variation of "slide and frame mix and match" but got nothing) ...Thanks. And please, I'm old and tired and just looking for info...not interested in hearing from the "Kimber sucks, 1911 sucks, .45 sucks, [fill in the blank] sucks" crowd.

If you enjoyed reading about "Frame and Slide Mix and Match" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ExMachina
February 19, 2012, 01:35 PM
Generally not a good idea. More so than in modern gun designs, the frame and the slide of the 1911 design "interact" in several very, precise ways and those ways are not going to be the same from gun-to-gun.

You could always get lucky and have a perfectly-functioning "Frankengun" but even then, there's a good chance that the geometry will not be perfect and you will batter the heck out of one component or another.

rlgreen
February 19, 2012, 02:02 PM
thanks ex. i generally agree but kimber's got a couple of cco's already (compact cdp for instance) so i'm hoping there's a chance if i stick to same manufacturer.

rcmodel
February 19, 2012, 02:34 PM
I can't speak for Kimber, but Colt frames are enough different they need to be modified for esthetic's and possibly function.

The dust cover on the Gov frame is longer and hangs over the Commander slide spring tunnel.
The Commander spring guide abutment is cut further back by, I believe .100" to allow enough slide travel for ejection and slide travel past the slide stop hold-open notch.

rc

rlgreen
February 19, 2012, 07:20 PM
thanks much rc. that guide rod issue is one of the things i had heard elsewhere and am worried about. the guide rod travel channel i believe someone called it. anyone have details on that? is it something i can fix with a dremel?

rcmodel
February 19, 2012, 09:35 PM
No.
It would require a milling machine with a long enough cutter to reach down through the dust cover to get it cut flat and straight.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Frame and Slide Mix and Match" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!