shooting=therapy

PDA

horsemen61
February 19, 2012, 02:17 PM
I don't no about the rest of you but the other day all of the pressures of being a functioning member of society got to me. So I went shooting and I gotta say it was very therapeutic. Am I the only one who feels like this or do this

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting=therapy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pindarslight
February 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
Nope, shooting helps me with my mental disorders I have. When I lost my motorcycle due to epilepsy I needed something to do I'm depressed, angry and tired of the bs. Shooting is awesome nothing better the popping caps in a paper bully.

Swami
February 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
+1000

Best therapy ever.

Inebriated
February 19, 2012, 02:34 PM
I feel better after shooting. I often go to the range if I'm in a bad mood. That or golf. At least I'm good at shooting, though. lol

Dizzy
February 19, 2012, 02:35 PM
Anything that you enjoy and holds your complete focus will help you reduce stress. I often find that shooting, playing a video game, or riding a motorcycle helps manage any stress I have at the moment.

T Bran
February 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
Shooting is the best therapy but reloading comes in a close second. Having something you can do at home when you cant get to the range helps redirect your thoughts. It is also pretty satisfying to be self reliant.
I'm running low on empty brass so I guess it's time for some more ''therapy''.

PoserHoser
February 19, 2012, 03:14 PM
Nothing quite like doing mag dump out of my 1911 to relax

AirForceShooter
February 19, 2012, 03:39 PM
2 hours at the range and I'm completely relaxed.
To me it's the ultimate zen work-out.
Intense concentration with a singular purpose.
It's amazing

AFS

Romeo 33 Delta
February 19, 2012, 03:56 PM
T Bran ... that's EXACTLY how I feel about it!:D

The Lone Haranguer
February 19, 2012, 05:03 PM
I call it "group therapy."

JO JO BANG
February 19, 2012, 05:10 PM
Yepppp

mac tm
February 19, 2012, 05:44 PM
I just returned from a therepy session I organized to help three of my college buddies cope with their divorces. Two had never fired any gun before.They enjoyed the .22 and 9mm pistols, .22 rifle and 20 gauge, but they drew the line on the Mosin Nagant. Everyone left with a smile!

W.E.G.
February 19, 2012, 05:50 PM
Blam-blam-blammity-blam-blam.

Its thereapeutic just to say it.

Throw your arms in the air and give it a try.

Buck Kramer
February 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
Mag dumps are my friend.

fehhkk
February 19, 2012, 07:06 PM
Shooting and reloading during a quiet afternoon is therapeutic to me!

Furncliff
February 19, 2012, 08:28 PM
My daughter is in nursing school. Sometimes she'll come home for the weekend and tell me she needs some range therapy. We fill up a bunch of gallon jugs with water and set off for our favorite shooting spot where she blasts a bunch of jugs with her favorite .357 rifle. Afterwards we discuss why blowing stuff up is so strangely therapeutic. Haven't been able to say why, it just is.

guyfromohio
February 19, 2012, 08:32 PM
My office is 10 minutes from the range. I can leave, shoot 150 rounds, and be back in 45 minutes. Very therapeutic indeed.

Serenity
February 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
l shoot at an outdoor range in a beautiful setting and getting out there on a surprise sunny day is a great way to beat the winter blues.:cool:

Ishoot1st
February 19, 2012, 09:43 PM
Have to agree! I like to park and hike out to a nice shooting spot with my kids and the dog. Out in the beautiful outdoors blasting through cans and the sound barrier...the smell of gun powder....its the best therapy money can buy! And nothing is more rewarding than watching your kids learn to shoot and take on a love for firearms and the outdoors.

jim243
February 19, 2012, 09:48 PM
So I went shooting and I gotta say it was very therapeutic. Am I the only one who feels like this or do this

No you not the only one, I have been doing that for 50 years.

Jim

WALKERs210
February 19, 2012, 09:51 PM
I found this out back in the 70's. I would take the hardest kicking shotgun I had and after two or more boxes life would start to ease off and sanity returning. Even today when it gets more than I can handle I will load up my gun-buggy, walk about 400 ft and let rip. So far I have cut one tree down and working on a second.

needmorecowbell
February 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
No doubt about it. It's one of the best therapies there is. My work is pretty stressful and I have several work bodies who don't own a gun but go with me to the range often to chill out.

Ishoot1st
February 19, 2012, 10:02 PM
"I found this out back in the 70's. I would take the hardest kicking shotgun I had and after two or more boxes life would start to ease off and sanity returning. Even today when it gets more than I can handle I will load up my gun-buggy, walk about 400 ft and let rip. So far I have cut one tree down and working on a second.". Quote

Backyard range? Soo lucky!

Hardtarget
February 19, 2012, 11:56 PM
Better believe it! Every so often I tell my wife I have an appointment with Dr. Sam and Dr's Smith and Wesson. She gets her coat and off we go! :D

Mark

Ignition Override
February 20, 2012, 12:11 AM
Without a doubt. You choose your fun, and you control it, and it requires No Procedures, other than common sense safety.
Not only can you stand or sit etc in a natural setting, you can have the freedom to hit whatever targets you can set up and destroy.

After working hard to catch up and make it -on schedule- through the first level of the company's "normal procedures eval.", it was a major relief to go home for the weekend.
Taking out the SKS (aperture sight) with 70 rds. of ammo was a blast, even under cloudy skies.

ArfinGreebly
February 20, 2012, 03:40 AM
A concept near and dear to my heart.

:)

A wife's recovery: Can we go to the range?

A post-SD-shooting recommendation: Range Time For Girlfriend

Perspective on extroversion: A Little Perspective

Disabled vets rifle therapy: Therapy

On health and morale: Shooting For Therapy

A summary of earlier therapy mentions: Therapy?

And so, in closing, allow me to register my complete agreement that shooting is therapy.

Remllez
February 20, 2012, 10:06 AM
Ah, Zen and the art of shooting....:)

lizziedog1
February 20, 2012, 10:15 AM
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

Can't say it any better.

Gunnerboy
February 20, 2012, 11:13 AM
Best anti depressent is a propane bottle and some tracer rounds :evil:

ThorinNNY
February 20, 2012, 11:35 AM
I guess therapy means different things to different people. Having been exposed to physical therapy by physical terrorphists, I tend to view therapy as having to perform a series of unpleasant tasks someone else THINKS may benefit you and KNOWS will benefit them financially.
Shooting is far, far better than mere therapy,IMHOP.

8654Maine
February 20, 2012, 11:57 AM
Another disciple here.

The work I do makes me see the worst in folks.

I can either drown in drink, grind my teeth, or go run or shoot.

RustHunter87
February 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
AWW YA, i was just talkin about this with a local ffl, he said something along the lines of "dosent seem to matter how angry you are you can go out and rip of a 30 round mag and feel a million times better, but the antis will never understand that!" I agree wholeheartedly in fact im going to go put it to practice Right now:D

talldragon
February 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
Almost nothing better than a day at the range, burning through a brick of .22lr..........:evil::D
Even better, the bark and kick of the .300 H&H Magnum............:eek::cool::D:neener:

Priceless......:D

ETA: for more fun, need to get a shotgun next.....:scrutiny:

scallop
February 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
Yes, yes indeed. I call it "recoil therapy".

JohnnyK
February 20, 2012, 08:19 PM
beating the crap out of drums and cymbals at home is good.... blowing the crap out of flying clays with my Saiga-12= therapy for sure.... shooting targets as fast as I can either at a class or 3-gun is also therapy for sure!!! I'd much rather hear my AKs making noise than my wife complaining!!!!

Scuba_Steve
February 20, 2012, 08:25 PM
The relaxation aspect is what got me into shooting. If I'm having a stressful day at work, the concentration required to focus on the target allows time to forget about all the outside stress.

allaroundhunter
February 20, 2012, 08:26 PM
Shooting is definitely therapeutic for me. I also find that sitting in the woods waiting and watching works just as well. Depending on the time of year, sometimes I can do both ;)

Husker_Fan
February 20, 2012, 08:33 PM
The noise seems to quiet the voices too. :)

Detachment Charlie
February 20, 2012, 08:45 PM
Hussker Fan, nothing helps keep the voices down like the bark of my 44. Mag. or redhot, screamin' .357s. Of course, a .45 ACP ain't nothing to laugh at. And, the VA says I'm nuts!:neener:

Remllez
February 22, 2012, 09:21 AM
LOL^^^^^^......I think.......:)

MAJ Mike
February 22, 2012, 09:26 AM
The value of range therapy is magnified when I notice that my shot groups are better than the shooters to the left and right of my position. I'll be having therapy sessions Thursday and Friday this week.

latesvak
February 22, 2012, 09:37 PM
I would have to agree 100 percent . I call it my version of yoga. Between that and fishing
It's just how I relax. Speaking of which I need to head out this weekend.

Latesvak

PT92
February 22, 2012, 09:53 PM
I don't no about the rest of you but the other day all of the pressures of being a functioning member of society got to me. So I went shooting and I gotta say it was very therapeutic. Am I the only one who feels like this or do this
Indeed, just what the doctored ordered!

-Cheers

Marlin60Man
February 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
Oh, it's very therapeutic to me. Got into a little car wreck this weekend, stress with insurance claims and what not, pretty much bugging me. Had to get out to my spot just to shoot off about 100 rounds.

Actually probably shouldn't have been driving, but yeah, gotta blow off some steam.

glenns
February 23, 2012, 12:42 AM
There is a shooting range about 10-15 minutes from work. Shooting a few magazines does wonders to relieve a stressful day. Clears the mind.

Serenity
February 23, 2012, 12:54 AM
I'm going to give up every other massage and use the money for shooting (ammo and gear). :cool:

mljdeckard
February 23, 2012, 01:18 AM
Did anyone else watch Modern Family tonight? :D

Lex Luthier
February 23, 2012, 01:22 AM
I gratefully consider shooting "recoil therapy".

Guy B. Meredith
February 23, 2012, 03:41 AM
Remllez beat me to it. Be the bullet.

49north
February 23, 2012, 03:54 AM
This morning I was working my 10/22 at 100 and 200 yds. There was a 20 mph wind and I just couldn't tune in the 22 @ 200 yds but 100 was easy with lots of pings.
Later in the day I took my atv down to the 200 looking for impacts in the snow. Found them, Blissful day and so glad I can shoot at will.;)

scallop
February 23, 2012, 12:30 PM
Did anyone else watch Modern Family tonight? :D
Yes and I thought it was great. Very nice to see shooting portrayed in a positive light on national tv!

Stevie-Ray
February 23, 2012, 12:43 PM
Actually doing what I'm doing right now is very stress-relieving. When I sit at the computer and take my BP, it is always normal. Shooting at the indoor range is not the same, especially when shooting EDCs. However, I do use shooting a bolt-action .22 outdoors at 100 yards as a great stress-reliever. Quite inexpensive, also.

latesvak
February 24, 2012, 08:49 PM
I would have to say that after the morning i had, im pretty relaxed right now. I went through 300 40 S&W, 300 22lr and 200 9mm. 40 &9 was 25-50 yard target practice and the 22 was 100-260 yard practice. I really like shootin the 22 long distances and today was fun shooting shooting at a 5 gal propane tank. I like hearing the shot then waiting for the tink. Also a really cool guy i shared the table with let me try out his 50 cal.

latesvak

FROGO207
February 25, 2012, 10:21 AM
I feel I get a two-fer every time I go shooting.:cool: The first is when I put all other daily troubles aside and concentrate on reloading some ammo. The second is when I shoot the said ammo and hit what I was aiming for.:) I find paying hard earned cash for a hobby like reloading/shooting is waaaaay better than paying a therapist on many levels.:D

Jesse Heywood
February 25, 2012, 10:50 PM
Theraputic? YES!!

Good idea to take your mind off a root canal? Not unless you enjoy the increased pain!

Dr.Rob
February 25, 2012, 11:14 PM
I have found that shooting can be a very zen kind of activity. Target shooting anyway. Breath control trigger control sight picture, squeeze.

Competition shooting isn't always like that, but range time can be.

TennJed
February 26, 2012, 03:49 AM
Shooting has been a big stress reliever for me in the last 5 years. Went through 3 miscarriages with the wife (one on Christmas day), employer closed and out of work for 6 months, mother in law died in a storm (tree fell on her), Dog died, and various life stuff.

My church, family, and range time have keep me sane. I am lucky enough to be able to do a lot of shooting on family land. Something about being alone (or with 14 year old son) and nothing but paper or cans to put all my focus on. Steady your hands, fix your eyes on the target, and block out the troubles of the world.

And while shooting can get expensive, I hear them head shrinkers charge a couple of hundred dollars an hour, and they're not much good to you if someone breaks into your home in the middle of the night.

baylorattorney
February 26, 2012, 04:03 AM
It's great because it requires total concentration and attention - wields a lot of power too. Perfect thing to get your mind off of everything for the moment, and gives you the confidence to tackle the world right after.

Judge a man not by the answers he gives, but by the questions he asks. - Voltaire

PT92
February 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
Great post TennJed!

-Cheers

ArfinGreebly
February 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
And while shooting can get expensive, I hear them head shrinkers charge a couple of hundred dollars an hour, and they're not much good to you if someone breaks into your home in the middle of the night.

Sanity depends on a healthy level of extroversion.

There is nothing at all in the question "how does that make you feel?" that will extrovert a person.

Extroversion is looking outward. The view over the sights of a rifle or pistol is definitely looking outward. Reaching out to a target at 50 or 100 yards is looking outward.

Sure, there's a bit of "inwardness" involved: you have to balance breathing, stance (or rest), and trigger pull.

But the magic? That's looking outward.

PT92
February 26, 2012, 04:12 PM
I must say that this very thread in and of itself is proving to be somewhat 'therapeutic' while simultaneously tempting me to go shooting (while riding out the rain delay @Daytona).

-Cheers

WeedWacker
February 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
It's enjoyment vs pleasure. You get enjoyment from overcoming an obstacle or challenge. You get fulfillment from seeking enjoyment as well. Pleasure is just feel good. It's like sitting there watching an entertaining TV show. It stimulates pleasure receptors in the nucleus accumbens but doesn't bring fulfillment and lasting effects. With enjoyment you can look back and feel good remembering how you overcame while pleasure is fleeting.

Tight groups are a good achievement for many, just being able to hit the target is enough to cause an ecstatic reaction, especially in new shooters. Shooting is a good therapy for me when I have the blues myself.

hirundo82
February 26, 2012, 11:15 PM
When something in my life is bothering me, I find the best way to get through it is to go to the range with my Buckmark and a brick of .22lr. It takes my mind off my problems, and when I'm done I find I can think far more clearly about it. Been having to do that a lot recently for some reason.

BLACKHAWKNJ
February 26, 2012, 11:20 PM
I practice Target Therapy-I write the name of someone who has wronged on the back of
the target.

PT92
February 27, 2012, 09:55 AM
...Been having to do that a lot recently for some reason...

Perhaps it's the GAS Prices:cuss: (the shooting is indeed therapeutic but if we hit $5 a gallon the shrink may be next:D).

-Cheers

Dave in Hawaii
February 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
I think shooting is a meditation.

“Meditation is any form of practices in which practitioners train their minds or self-induce a mode of consciousness to realize some benefit.”

Focus thoughts, breathe, aim, steady, hold breath, slowly pull…

It's about the only thing I do that helps me to stop the constant barrage of thoughts and be in the moment.

Yea baby, going to the range today.

OkieGentleman
February 29, 2012, 10:51 PM
Took a young visitor from Germany shooting for the first time a number of years ago. When we came back my wife asked how he felt. His reply to her amazement was "relaxed, very relaxed and calm".

Serenity
February 29, 2012, 11:00 PM
This is how I felt after the competitive skills development match that I went to last weekend. While I was waiting for the tone, my mind was empty of everything but the immediate tasks. I didn't even have the extra brainpower to be nervous because I was so focused on maintaining the 180 and not dropping my gun :D When I left I was flying high because that pure concentration and adrenaline-sharpened focus is cathartic.

Cosmoline
March 1, 2012, 09:40 PM
Combine shooting with a good physical workout and you have the ideal form of therapy and exercise. Contrary to the movie image, shooting firearms is meditative not a sexually charged rush. It focuses you on certain key points and postures, much like yoga. Once you find your ballistic chakra, you can nail bullseyes even if you can't clearly see the target way out there.

It seems to me the ultimate marksman, at the peak of his game, is the one who knows with such certainty at the moment prior to squeezing the trigger that he will make the shot, that he does not need to. He simply walks away.

But it's not an attainable level of perfection for any human, I think. There's always more you can do, and always a level of uncertainty. As a species we need to see where the bullet strikes.

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting=therapy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!