My grandson's first hunt?

PDA

ksnecktieman
February 10, 2004, 10:00 PM
I am fifty four years old, it is the year 2004 now. I have a daughter pregnant, I hope she is going to give me a grandson. I want to teach him to shoot. I want to teach him to hunt. I have been thinking about his first hunt, considering the present political climate. I am in central Kansas. He will be twenty one years old in the year 2025. If things do not change, and we are still fighting for the right to bear arms his memoirs may read like this ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am now 21 years old, so I can hunt, I have been reading about guns for a long time now. I have considered all of my options, and I have determined that a New England Firearms 20 guage is the best of my choices. I think it is reasonable thet the federal govenment has done away with centerfire rifles like the 30.06 because of their dangerous extreme range. I have eliminated the 12 guage because the ammunition is taxed about three times as high as the 20 guage, because so many criminals prefer the 12 guage. I have chosen the NEF because the government has determined that a break action single shot is the only safe firearm for citizens, and this costs a lot less than the european models, that are the only other manufacturers left in the world. I will ship my gun and ammunition to the guide service in Colorado on monday since a citizen can not take firearms across state lines. I am going to take off early from work on wednesday, to drive the four hundred miles (sixteen hours driving time, and the federally required twenty hours rest in a trip that long) to Colorado to hunt elk. I will be hunting at dawn on saturday when the season opens. My grandpaw tells me that it was possible a long time ago to drive from central Kansas to Denver in eight hours. The federal government has finally eliminated all speed restrictions, but I do not see how that is possible. I have the largest motor permitted in a personal vehicle (0.8 liter), I have four wheel drive, and I can do a sustained thirty eight miles per hour (at forty two mpg as the federal government requires) on the highway without concern about harming my vehicle, or the environment. I have completed the required forty hours of hunter education, and I have paid the going rate for it of 100 dollars per hour. My biggest regret is that I can not use a telescopic sight for my elk hunt. My eyes were bad from birth, and while my vision is correctible from 20/400 ( I can almost read a license plate number at two car lengths) to 20/20 with corrective lenses the regulations against telescopic sights also restrict me from hunting with my glasses in my possession. I am convinced that the guides (two required by federal law) will be able to spot any game that I may not see. I will soon find out. I have managed to get a permit for forty rounds of ammunition. I plan to use no more than thirty five of it for practice, and sight adjustment.. Whatever range that makes me comfortable to shoot at will have to be my realistic limitation.

I hope that I can make my grandpa proud of me. Can anyone tell me how to convince my mommie that I am not a bloodthirsty savage for wanting to hunt game? Will elk really BLEED, if/when I shoot one?

I absolutely positively support the right of free speech, but when it attacks an upstanding politician like presidential candidate Chelsea Clinton, I think it has over stepped the bounds of free speech, and should be constrained, until proven. After all, any politician that would show her opinion, and how it was formed about anti hunting (the exit wound of a barrett .50 bmg cal from an elk shot at fifty meters) has done her duty to analyse the pro and con of the issue, and is informed.

I PLAN TO LIVE "FREE OR DIE" AS MY GRANDPA DID...... IF YOU ARE MY "GRANDPA" WILL YOU BE PROUD OF ME?

AND DO I HAVE REASON TO BE PROUD OF YOU?

thanks Henry, I fixed it.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "My grandson's first hunt?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Henry Bowman
February 11, 2004, 04:22 PM
I think you meant 2025, not 2525 ("If man is still alive...").

But, I hope you would be equally willing and excited to teach a grandDAUGHTER to shoot and hunt.

Nevertheless, your point is well made.

Balog
February 12, 2004, 05:13 AM
Scary.

Ryder
February 12, 2004, 05:33 AM
Interesting read. However I think if things get that bad they won't allow the murder of any animals though. He'd probably have to go through all that red tape just to shoot a paper target in a bullet proof room under direct supervision of armed guards after a blood test! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "My grandson's first hunt?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!