The best HK?

PDA

CTGunner
February 20, 2012, 12:12 AM
What is the best i.e. Most tried and true Hk for carry? I know the usp has seen some hard use, but is it the best option?

If you enjoyed reading about "The best HK?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onmilo
February 20, 2012, 12:14 AM
I like the USP line but there are some very satisfied shooters using the newer P30/P30L and H&K 45 pistols.
What is best for you is what feels and handles best for you. HTH

wristtwister
February 20, 2012, 12:27 AM
I like the USP 40cal compact. It fits my hand and is a good size for carry. Most of the other HK's are either too bulky or have those stupid tactical rails on them that make holsters impossible to find. I wish gun manufacturers would realize that every gun isn't being used by "an operator" and doesn't need rails to hook up lights and sirens.

One of the reasons I like the Ruger profiles so much is that they have smoothe undersides and still have a rail that is functional. H&K could learn something there.

WT

alaskanativeson
February 20, 2012, 07:19 AM
I carried a USP Compact and a USP Tactical for years in Utah and Alaska, loved them both. The USP Tac was my favorite gun, this coming from one who's been a Glock fan for well over a decade. That said, the HK45 has solved a couple of the USP's problems. The grip is a little better, and the rails are standard. That's a big deal to me since I like a flashlight on the front of my nightstand gun.

usp9
February 20, 2012, 08:30 AM
Most tried and true Hk for carry?

They are all trusted, but for carry, ie: small and concealable, I go with the P2000sk. This is as small as they get and is still a tremendously accurate and easy to shoot "range" gun. Each time I take it to the range it's as if I rediscover how great this gun is, and it always makes me smile.

The USPc is great, but a little bigger, as is the USP. The P7 is a fine CCW, but I long ago decided it wasn't the gun I wanted for carry. My P2000sk has served well and faithful for about five years now and going strong.

skt239
February 20, 2012, 09:33 AM
P7, P30 are my two favorites.

9teenEleven
February 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
I've owned a usp USPc p30 p2000 p2000sk hk45c. Hands down, the USPc is the best IMO. A good example for me of a company getting it right yet coming out with new models for marketing. There is a reason why HK still sells a model that is 3 generations old. Great ergo, even without the trendy new backstraps, side straps etc. great size and conceal ability. Super reliable. By HK standards, parts are available. Ability to Carry cocked and locked. The only downside I can think of is that the barrel is
Short for the size of the gun.

rodinal220
February 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
P7 series.

el Godfather
February 20, 2012, 03:42 PM
Depending on your size HKP2K or HKP30.

legion3
February 20, 2012, 05:52 PM
The P7 and USP series are the two that have seen the most police and miltary use. FWTW.

JustinJ
February 20, 2012, 07:43 PM
I couldn't be happier with my P2000sk but also dig the USP and P30. Haven't had the pleasure of shooting any others but of those three all run like tanks. The P30 is definitely the most ergonomic and has excellent recoil. My biggest gripe against HK is the lack of higher capacity mags.

Fishbed77
February 20, 2012, 10:16 PM
P7 gets my vote.

johnnydollar
February 20, 2012, 11:01 PM
This one.
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc422/johnnydollar1949/hk%20p7%20%20psp/SANY0017-1.jpg

boricua9mm
February 21, 2012, 09:09 AM
For carrying concealed, I prefer the P2000 and the P7. The regular P2000 has nice, round contours that allow it to be easily concealed. The fully ambidextrous features also make it a good candidate. I don't care for the P2000sk b/c when I compare the size to something like the baby Glock, the SK is neither here or there. It's too tall to fit into a pocket, and if IWB carry is going to be the order of the day, then the larger P2000 seems to make more sense, IME.

The P7 has many virtues that make it a great concealed carry pistol. The only downsides are that the gun gets very hot when training with it, and its unique manual of arms can make things confusing for some folks who carry other types of firearms as well.

For a production grade pistol that you can depend on, I have found that HKs are the best choice, but what works for me doesn't necessarily work for everyone else.

Quiet
February 22, 2012, 06:46 AM
Another vote for the H&K P-7M8.

sourdough44
February 22, 2012, 07:25 AM
One of my favorites is the p2000sk with an LEM trigger for CC. Mine happens to be in 40s&w, but the 9mm will do. I can use magazines from my USP 40c to get to 12 +1 when needed. I use an "X-Grip" on the longer mags to extend the grip some when desired. One should keep in mind that the LEM trigger is not designed for precision at the range.

benderx4
February 22, 2012, 04:01 PM
I love the USP series, but for carry, the P7 simply can't be beat.

AKJeeper
February 22, 2012, 07:31 PM
I have a USP C/T in .45acp and the LEM trigger. This is my primary carry gun. As sourdough44 mentioned - the LEM trigger isn't exactly for precision target shooting...but for what it's worth, I don't feel that it is a bad trigger. Mine has a decent break to it with minimal creep, though it is a bit heavy at just a tad over 5lbs. I just wish it didn't have quite so much pre-travel (take-up), but that's just an inherent characteristic of the LEM trigger.

tarosean
February 22, 2012, 09:19 PM
MP5

I see them around the world... :)

HKGuns
February 22, 2012, 10:26 PM
Most of the other HK's are either too bulky or have those stupid tactical rails on them that make holsters impossible to find.

Bulky? Can't find holsters? That certainly is a different perspective. The HK proprietary rail is not a lot different than the Picatinny you see on every other pistol. The HK45 and P30 series are all sportin' Picatinny rails so there is no difference there. I've never had any trouble finding a holster for ANY of my HK's.

For me it would be the P30 or HK USPc45. The HK45c would be a contender as well but I've never shot one.

orionengnr
February 23, 2012, 12:42 AM
Of all the ones I have owned, I miss the P7M13 the most.
But I had 5 or 6 P7 PSPs that I would be almost as happy to have back.

February 23, 2012, 12:47 AM
The best HK?

What is best for you is what feels and handles best for you.
Yup. For me, the best HK for carry is the USPc 9. 13+1 rounds in a compact, balanced, light weight package. Good stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "The best HK?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!