Gunsmith prices

PDA

Railrunner85
February 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
Hey guys, What would be a decent price for having a set of talley rings lapped. Sorry if I missed this in another thread.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunsmith prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Dog Man
February 20, 2012, 11:48 PM
Get you a piece of 1" round bar stock and some valve lapping compound and you can do it yourself. Just take it easy and check your progress as you lap and you'll do fine. Al

greyling22
February 21, 2012, 12:42 AM
local gs charges $30/hr, which I think is pretty reasonable. shouldn't take tat long to lap rings. if you don't want to DIY.

earlthegoat2
February 21, 2012, 02:55 AM
Most gunsmiths will have a flat rate on a job like that. It depends on what you actually want done though.

Do just want the rings lapped or do you want them mounted and lapped? Do you want the scope mounted as well?

For a gunsmith quality scope base and ring mounting (plus ring lapping) there is a lot more that goes into it than just screwing on the mounts and rings. The base has to be lapped to the receiver for a superior fit that will be less likely to move under recoil. Then properly torqued with a torque screwdriver. Then the rings need to aligned with the alignment tools before the lapping can begin. Then they get lapped. Then you place the scope on and adjust for eye relief (which the customer is ideally present for) then the crosshair is leveled then the scope torqued to the rings with a precise torque setting.

All these steps must be done or you will be incorporating a weak link in the system. You might as well not do one if you are not going to do them all. Then there is boresighting, which is also a little more complicated than the conventional wisdom would suggest.

Sorry to jump you with all this information but depending on the gunsmith you talk to they may suggest to you that all of this be done. Maybe the gunsmith is just trying to make more money off of you or maybe he is a good smith that believes in doing the job right the first time every time. In the end though it is up to you to make these choices.

GunnyUSMC
February 21, 2012, 12:10 PM
Standard rate for GS work is $30 to $45 an hour.

taliv
February 22, 2012, 06:26 PM
i wouldn't bother lapping talley rings.

Railrunner85
February 22, 2012, 07:25 PM
i've heard they didn't need lapping, but I'm just not sure. Are they as good as I have read.

taliv
February 22, 2012, 11:56 PM
i have only used one set of talley rings, with a S&B PMII which is 34mm i believe, so i couldn't lap them if i wanted to, as i haven't seen a 34mm bar for sale anywhere.

nevertheless, i've never had a problem with them, and have shot (and won) lots of matches with that scope/ring combo

I prefer the old seekins rings, but i sure can't complain about talley.

I honestly believe people will make bad rings better and good rings worse by lapping.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunsmith prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!