Shipping Date for 1st Colt 1871 .44 RFs

PDA

Hypnogator
February 21, 2012, 01:05 AM
I am researching the Wickenburg Massacre, which occurred on 5 Nov 1871. The perpetrators attacking the stagecoach used Henry and Spencer repeating rifles. There were several revolvers among the coach passengers, which included three civilian members of a military expedition. I am assuming that the revolvers would have been 1860 or possibly 1851 Colts, but am wondering if any could have been 1871 Colt .44 RF conversions.

Anyone know when the first of these would have been shipped?

Thanx.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping Date for 1st Colt 1871 .44 RFs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
February 22, 2012, 10:42 PM
Well, both the Richards and Richards-Mason conversions were center-fire. The Model 1871 open top (not a conversion) was .44 rimfire, but the few I have seen had a July 1872 patent date (same dates as the early SAA) which means they could not have been made before that month. Wilson indicates the first 1000 guns did not have the patent dates, but if a July 2, 1872 patent date was added after 1000 guns, production would certainly not have started in 1871.

In other words, I can't conceive of an 1871-72 open top .44 being in anyone's hands in November 1871. As for military use, I don't see any evidence that any of those guns were ever adopted by, or even sold to, the military; in fact, the military tested and rejected the open top idea, leading to the adoption of the SAA in 1872.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping Date for 1st Colt 1871 .44 RFs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!