Everglades Snake Hunting

PDA

Art Eatman
February 21, 2012, 07:55 AM
With Labrador Retrievers:

http://www.takepart.com/blog-series/paw-and-order/2012/02/12/army-hires-aussie-dogs-hunt-pythons-everglades

Gotta be some way for locals to cover expenses on a deal like this. Roadside snakeburger stand? Tan and sell the hides?

If you enjoyed reading about "Everglades Snake Hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ultradoc
February 21, 2012, 08:09 AM
that would make a nice belt [or two]

H&Hhunter
February 21, 2012, 09:36 AM
That looks like a great way to spend a weekend with your mutt! I wonder if my Jagds would be to small and to aggressive for that job?

Manson
February 21, 2012, 01:21 PM
The state of Florida has ignored this problem for a long time. Now by some estimates there are thousands of the snakes in the glades. One was found with an entire gator in its stomach. Others with deer. Hunters complain that the state has placed too many restrictions on hunting them.

And now we have trained dogs? The real solution is open up the hunting in a way that is less restrictive on the season and types of weapons used and the population will be greatly reduced.

hardluk1
February 21, 2012, 05:50 PM
darn good idea useing dogs. Growing up down there it does superise me that it is not year round open season. No permits need, nothing needed, just kill them. We use to kill rattlers back then an fry at a local guys fish fry he did on weekends and the darn tourist and transplants would have no idea what they were eating or make fish/snake cakes and fry them. Just another kind of fish to them hehe.

rcmodel
February 21, 2012, 06:01 PM
I can GayRonTee you if I found a 12' python or 6' rattlesnake in my back yard, they wouldn't have to call some snake wrangler to come and catch it!!

I might end up in jail, but my dog & wife would be safe at home!!

rc

jimmyraythomason
February 21, 2012, 06:46 PM
I can GayRonTee you if I found a 12' python or 6' rattlesnake in my back yard, they wouldn't have to call some snake wrangler to come and catch it!!

Same here!!! If something like that shows up in my yard,it's dead! No ifs,ands or buts. I'm watching "Swamp Wars" on Animal Planet right now. This episode covers rattlesnakes,reticulated pythons and large lizards in populated Florida areas. All of the problem animals could have been easily taken care of with one well aimed shot....but then...who would watch the show?

Manson
February 21, 2012, 06:57 PM
We are also starting to see iguanas and a few monitor lizards. African pythons are also being found. They are smaller than the Burmese but more aggressive. Not sure how I feel about trained dogs hunting them. With all the poisonous snakes, gators and other critters I'd be a little worried about the dog.

Art Eatman
February 21, 2012, 07:13 PM
No restrictions on private-land hunting. The state has a season on some state lands; I don't know how much state land is restricted and how much is open.

hogshead
February 21, 2012, 07:19 PM
I wonder how they came up with a 92% success rate.

hardluk1
February 21, 2012, 07:45 PM
Art yes but for as serious a problem as these snakes and lizards there should be know limit or season to kill them. Kinda like pigs there but with very little private land. Look at a map of south floridas everglades and bigcypress and then and relieze it is almost all under state or even worst park servise rule where the snakes are bredding. Theres a 70 miles wide by 100 mile long area there has very little acess to it even if private. The rest is mainly major framers and cattle.

Cob
February 23, 2012, 09:23 PM
I hope these links work, but here's a rather large snake (Burmese Python) that ate a deer.
Big exotic in South Florida, in the everglades. South Florida Water Management District photo that's been circulating a bit.

A couple years ago, a contractor was mowing a levee with a tractor/ bush hog in this vicinity, and mowed over 7 of them in less than 1/2 mile.
they have a verified breeding population of these things in some areas, seem to do well where there is a lack of people, and lotsa grass/water,
and warm weather... Art, Maybe we can send you some to TX to control the hog population.

http://f1260.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f244452%5fANbjimIAABm3TwprVAOFZRPmhf8&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=YahooMailClassic
http://f1260.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f244452%5fANbjimIAABm3TwprVAOFZRPmhf8&pid=3&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=YahooMailClassic
http://f1260.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f244452%5fANbjimIAABm3TwprVAOFZRPmhf8&pid=4&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=YahooMailClassic

& BTW, when you say Snake Hunting, you referring to the snake hunting the deer? A big one would give a lab a run for his money, especially in a wet situation.

If you enjoyed reading about "Everglades Snake Hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!