HD gun, on your person or kept handy?

PDA

solman
February 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
I was just wondering if people are "carrying" at home or just keep it handy while awake (I hope nobody carries while asleep). If you live in a non carry state as many states really don't issue CC permits do you carry at home or is it just kept nearby?

If you enjoyed reading about "HD gun, on your person or kept handy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
February 21, 2012, 10:39 AM
I think the best plan is to carry. Much of the time at home, I don't.

glassman
February 21, 2012, 10:57 AM
One handy in the bedroom and one in the family room.

The M
February 21, 2012, 11:03 AM
I might carry for a while after I get home but normally just keep one within 20 feet or so.

jrdolall
February 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
I am sure there are people who carry all the time but I have not found a firearm that carries easily in my boxers and old t-shirt. The best place for a robber to get me would be while I am cutting the grass. Of course all he would get would be the lawn mower and half a Diet Pepsi. At home I have an AK behind the front door and a pistol in a drawer at the back door as well as two guns in my BR. Even that may be overkill since I live on a farm with dogs and a half mile driveway. Approaching my house with stealth would mean either coming across half a mile of hay field or coming through 2 miles of heavy woods to come to the back of the house. That could be done with a good four wheel drive, sometimes, but other than that I am fairly safe. Yet I still have 4 guns designated for HD.

Coyote3855
February 21, 2012, 01:23 PM
I pocket carry most of the time in the house. We have some handguns in strategic locations: offices, bedrooms, front door, etc.

Byrd666
February 21, 2012, 01:51 PM
There is a pistol or revolver within about 6 feet of me wherever I'm at in my abode. I don't normally carry while inside, as the area in which I reside is on the safer side with most/all my neighbors being armed and law abiding. So in this area I don't feel the need. As opposed to the "hood" I used to live in.

allaroundhunter
February 21, 2012, 02:00 PM
I carry at home when I'm awake, and when I'm asleep or involved in an activity that makes it impossible to carry it goes in the GunVault beside my bed.

The AR stays available, but not within arms reach at all times.

bergmen
February 21, 2012, 02:08 PM
I consider myself in condition "white" while inside my own home, quickly capable of going to "yellow" as the situation requires.

As a result, I do not carry on person at home but have loaded HD weapons at my fingertips in locations I spend most of my time (office, bedroom, etc.).

I do drop a .38 snubby in my pocket when I make the 300' walk up to the mailbox/newspaper tube everyday or whenever I go outside (we have a small farm) for any length of time.

Dan

beatledog7
February 21, 2012, 02:11 PM
Guns are placed about the house in areas where I spend the most time.

If I was carrying while I was out, I usually stay that way until I have a reason to get undressed, change clothes, etc. But I don't purposely gun up unless I'm going out.

JohnBiltz
February 21, 2012, 02:17 PM
I put a gun on in the morning when I get up and take it off when I go to bed. You get used to it and don't notice it. You also don't forget it when you have to go outside.

FAS1
February 21, 2012, 03:13 PM
HD gun is in safe mounted to bed frame and I always pocket carry when home.

Pyro
February 21, 2012, 03:23 PM
I carry an NAA Guardian 24/7.
At home it's to get me up to my long guns.

pingpingping
February 21, 2012, 03:32 PM
When I get home from work, pocket carry gun goes on the night stand and I strap on something bigger...I feel naked without it.

ATLDave
February 21, 2012, 03:35 PM
I spend a lot of time at home wrestling with my not-quite-4-year-old. I have no interest in having a gun on my person while doing that. I'll just have to take my chances that some mis-informed mafia hit crew is going to decide my little 3BR houses a rival don, or that a movie-style robbery outfit is going to conclude that I've got $147,000,000 in bearer bonds or Krugerands or whatever they're stealing in movies these days.

Derry 1946
February 21, 2012, 03:43 PM
I carry at home when I'm awake, and when I'm asleep or involved in an activity that makes it impossible to carry it goes in the GunVault beside my bed.

The AR stays available, but not within arms reach at all times.
This is pretty much my approach too.

Dnaltrop
February 21, 2012, 04:26 PM
If I'm wearing pants, I've got my IWB on. A Ted Blocker Model 12.

No problems with my kids bouncing off of me all day, though they've learned to avoid slamming into me at 4 o'clock.

At night, it rests on top of a stack of blankets next to me, on the "dummy" safe, with my glasses folded on top. I can see the Trijicons staring back at me clearly anytime.

Night before last someone went through my backyard and cleaned out my Eldest's bagged deposit cans. There have been a rash of daylight burglaries as well lately. A few years ago I caught a guy trying my Kitchen back door in the afternoon, with my children and mother in law just inside.

Durn' tootin' I Carry every minute of the day, anywhere legal. and I won't apologize for it.

That isn't even considering my wife's job handling Severe injury, and Fraud insurance claims. Some folks get *mildly* testy when you catch them on video jumping Dune Buggys when they're supposedly nearly paralyzed in a back brace.

hogrdr
February 21, 2012, 05:01 PM
i carry a naa .22 ALL the time around the house, ALSO something bigger when im outside. sometimes 2 something biggers, (im paronoid) don't even ask about the bedroom.

bigfatdave
February 21, 2012, 07:28 PM
on me if I'm wearing pants, handy otherwise

Girodin
February 21, 2012, 07:58 PM
Having the gun on your person is for more secure than just having it sitting somewhere. It also is the best way to assure the gun will always be relatively accessible. There may be specific activities I would take it off for, such as rough housing with the kids. For me, its mostly a matter of the gun being the most secure and safe if it is right on my hip.

Old krow
February 21, 2012, 08:07 PM
For me, its mostly a matter of the gun being the most secure and safe if it is right on my hip.

Same here.

outdoorsman1
February 21, 2012, 08:15 PM
I also put my sidearm in it's holster when I get dressed in the morning and take it out when I get undressed for bed. Then it goes on my night stand within easy reach. At night in the bedroom, I also keep a HD 12 GA. real handy. If I want to lounge around in my shorts, I carry it with me (unholstered) and set it on the table whenever I sit. If I am just out of the shower, it goes in my robe pocket. I live alone so carrying it around unholstered is ok with me as I am real confident in my ability to do so.... If I have company it stays holstered on my hip. The only time my sidearm is not with me is when I have unavoidable business in a building that is legally posted "No Firearms or Weapons Allowed"... then I even have to leave my knife in the car...

Outdoorsman1

trex1310
February 21, 2012, 11:12 PM
OP: You make an assumption that is not valid. You need to change all
of the "it" in your original post to "them". Some people stash multiple
guns for home defense. I know I do and they are all readily accessible.

wally
February 21, 2012, 11:15 PM
Usually both, my main carry on the night stand and a 12 gauge where I can easily get to it and .380 in my pocket to fight my way there if need be.

3KillerBs
February 21, 2012, 11:25 PM
If I'm dressed my gun is on me.

I'm too small to wrestle out of a bad guy's grip, too slow to run to another room to access my gun, and I have young children so leaving guns out to be readily accessible is out of the question.

friscolatchi
February 21, 2012, 11:40 PM
As long as I have on trousers, I have a pocket. And if I have a hip pocket, I have something in it.

PabloJ
February 22, 2012, 08:04 AM
I was just wondering if people are "carrying" at home or just keep it handy while awake (I hope nobody carries while asleep). If you live in a non carry state as many states really don't issue CC permits do you carry at home or is it just kept nearby?
Thank you for wonderful question. I get big laugh from folks armed "to the teeth" who live in areas with very low crime rates.

iblong
February 22, 2012, 08:23 AM
Im armed from the time I roll out of bed untill I crawl in at night,and I dont live in a bad place.It is my good luck charm,Ive never had anthing bad happen While Ive carried it,I aim to keep it that way.Besides If I take it out my pant might fall down.

CraigC
February 22, 2012, 12:17 PM
I'm self employed and work from home but do not carry while at home, most the time. I just keep several handy. No kids, no worries.

I get big laugh from folks armed "to the teeth" who live in areas with very low crime rates.
Ha! All low crime rates do is better your odds of never being a victim. Doesn't eliminate the chance. We're all carrying concealed weapons despite a very low statistical chance of needing it. I live in a "low crime area" but that did not prevent three scumbags from breaking into my house 8months ago and stealing everything that would fit through the window they destroyed. Two weeks before our wedding. Nor did it prevent some other greasy scumbags from stealing all the tools out of my truck just before Christmas.

USAF_Vet
February 22, 2012, 01:48 PM
I can't carry at work, and wouldn't even if I could. Machine maintenance is hardly the environment for carrying a gun. Once I get my CCW next month, I'll stash a gun in the car, maybe. At home, I don't rush to strap a gun on. My pistol is in the nightstand, and I've got quick access to either the SKS or the Mav 88. Unless I'm on the toilet or in the shower, I'm never more than a handful Of seconds away from a gun.

SG1
February 22, 2012, 02:04 PM
Im armed from the time I roll out of bed untill I crawl in at night,and I dont live in a bad place.

+1. At work, where I can't carry, it is in the glove box of my truck. I am very seldom unarmed. Not because I'm paranoid but because I want to be prepared.

I also live in a nice, low crime area but that doesn't make me feel secure enough to not be prepared. I don't expect a fire will burn my house down, but I still have immediate access to my fire extinguisher.

I also open my gun safe at night because my CCW isn't the best option for in home defense. I have kids so I lock up guns (and ammo separately) when I'm not at home, but my CCW is on or near me 24/7. At bed-time I put the CCW away and load a carbine or other gun just in case I need it in the night.

I'll also note that I grew up on the "wrong side of the tracks" and have known a lot of shady characters in my life. Those who make a living by stealing and robbing don't stick to the poor side of town. There's not much there to steal. They'd rather come to the "nice areas" and then go back to their environment to lay low.

MedWheeler
February 22, 2012, 03:21 PM
I kept guns throughout the house until my daughter became mobile. After that, only two "hot" guns are left out of the cabinet now, and one is on me. The other is stored where only I or my wife could get at it.
I begin the day's carry when I get dressed, and it goes beside my bed on a high hutch at bedtime. The only time I do not carry while up and dressed is at work (EMS.) Then, it's stowed in my truck for carry between work and home.

FMF Doc
February 22, 2012, 07:46 PM
What is more handy that on your person. I carry all the time, that mean at home as well. A lot of breakins...burgleries and other whatnot take place at home. I don't want to have to run upstairs or to another room, open the drawer, open the safe, grab the gun and then ready myself to confront a threat. Secondly, I have two young children at home, one 4 years old and the other 1. If the gun is on my hip, I KNOW that they can not get it. No safer place than with me.

JustinJ
February 22, 2012, 08:47 PM
The day i feel the need to carry in my home is the day i make a tin foil holster to match my hat.

bigfatdave
February 22, 2012, 09:46 PM
I get big laugh from folks armed "to the teeth" who live in areas with very low crime rates. ever wonder why those areas have low crime rates?
Scumbags have cars and/or can use public transportation, they can go to the "soft" areas at will.

4kbeard
February 23, 2012, 05:20 AM
I might be odd, but I am not close to my HD gun most of the time. Its in the BR at all times. But I do have some type of edged or bludgeoning weapon within 6 feet of me where ever I am in the rest of the house. Swords on the walls, knives in the kitchen, kali stick behind the door, small sword by my favorite chair in the LR, claw hammer at the top of the tool box in the coat closet... You get the idea.
I know its not a good idea to bring a knife or hammer or axe or stick to a gun fight, but thankfully its a short distance from anywhere in my place to the BR. If I realy NEED the gun, I can get to it. But if I just need SOMETHING, I'm covered no matter where I am.

leadcounsel
February 23, 2012, 03:37 PM
Thank you for wonderful question. I get big laugh from folks armed "to the teeth" who live in areas with very low crime rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire,_Connecticut,_home_invasion_murders

Summary - nice neigborhood. Successful upper class family with a husband, wife, and kids. Husband falls asleep on couch. Two villians broke in through a window. Husband wakes up being clubbed unconscious. Villians rape wife and daughters. Meanwhile, nearly dead husband crawls over to neighbors to call police. Then villians set fire to the house and females burn alive.

Yep, this stuff really happens even in nice neighborhoods.

Earlsbud
February 23, 2012, 04:02 PM
There is something near everywhere in my home. If I feel the need to carry outside at night I have a light Colt Cobra that tucks in my waist band. My road has no outlet, so any odd vehicles or a Sheriff chopper spotlighting nearby, I go with a 1911.

JohnBiltz
February 23, 2012, 04:12 PM
Home invasions tend to happen at home.

TarDevil
February 23, 2012, 04:17 PM
I work from home and I'm either wearing or a gun om my desk beside my computer. Also have more positioned enroute to my "safe" room.

crazyjennyblack
February 24, 2012, 01:44 AM
I live in an OK area, but I carry almost all the time. Some days I feel fat and lazy, or I just don't want to, but 95% of the time I have a gun on my hip even at home. I also have things placed around the house, almost in every room.

When I sleep, I have my daily carry pistol right next to me, and a rifle in the corner. Some people may think that is a bit far out, but I like to be prepared. I also keep two jacks, a full sized spare, and a tire patch kit in my car. It's called being prepared. Also remember that when you need things the most, two is one and one is none. Plan accordingly.

whalerman
February 24, 2012, 01:54 AM
I've always felt safe in my own home, a rural area with few neighbors. Two big dogs and good locks help. But as I get older (57 now) I wonder if my strategy should change. I carry all the time for work, but not at home. I keep a loaded firearm around the house, but not real close all the time.

jad0110
February 24, 2012, 11:38 AM

Sometimes I do both.

I'm always carrying, but some days if I'm going to be at home all day I'll put a 20 round mag in my pocket for my AR, and put the unloaded AR hidden up on a high shelf in my closet where I can get to it fairly quickly. At night, I keep a handgun secured in a Gunvault (I have a young boy) and a shotgun hidden up high on that same shelf in my closet (it gets secured during the day).

I am sure there are people who carry all the time but I have not found a firearm that carries easily in my boxers and old t-shirt.

I found my S&W 642 works quite well in a SmartCarry rig when I'm just tooling around in my PJs.

exavid
February 25, 2012, 12:25 AM
When I'm home I usually have Elsie Pea tucked in my pocket. When I go out I tend to carry something larger most of the time. I don't think it's paranoia. The thing is if you have a weapon and a permit to keep it on your person you'd feel pretty stupid if the unlikely happened and someone did break into your house while you had nothing to neutralize them with. If you never had a handgun to carry one doesn't think about it much but once getting used to carrying one does. It's kinda like not wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Even if it's legal not to wear one I'd feel a fool if I wasn't wearing my helmet and crashed. Kinda like those folks who don't put on their seat belt and then get ejected from their vehicle and killed in an accident they could have survived.

316SS
February 25, 2012, 12:50 AM
I carry at all times while awake. My EDC is a Kahr PM9 in a Galco IWB holster. When I get home and change, it works great clipped inside pyjama pants with a drawstring. I live in a city of about 30K and I read about home invasions weekly in the local paper. For more stubborn threats I have a Remington 870 handy. Laugh away, PabloJ, it doesn't bother me. The grasshopper laughed at the ant, but the ant was prepared when winter arrived.

Doug S
February 25, 2012, 02:54 AM
Whoa, whoa. As someone who doesn't carry in his own home (due to a combination of factors and what I think to be a realistic assessment of risks and rewards), I would not try to keep you from carrying in your own home if you felt it wise, desirable, or just fun. Live at let live, right?

Agreed. I was just commenting on the condescending responses. Your comments above make complete sense.

PabloJ
February 25, 2012, 04:56 AM
I'm going to get SP101 and hang it behind shower curtain.

XxBulletBendeRXx
February 25, 2012, 06:02 AM
HD gun is in safe mounted to bed frame and I always pocket carry when home.
+1... Sometimes I ride with a IWB and I seem to forget about it til the end of the night. But I like to pocket carry with my essentials within reach, If the Volume needed to be turned up I could blast it...... SO to speak!! :)

bigfatdave
February 25, 2012, 12:27 PM
I'm going to get SP101 and hang it behind shower curtain. A sturdy waterproof bag hung from the shower rod would work well, I suppose.
My shower curtains are clear, it would be pretty obvious.

smalls
February 25, 2012, 07:53 PM
My wife used to think the same as a few here regarding carrying at home. She used to ask why I did it. Then we had a break in/assault two doors down. She hasn't questioned me since.

orionengnr
February 25, 2012, 08:07 PM
Carry 24/7 or guess right.

76shuvlinoff
February 25, 2012, 09:44 PM
I don't have a sidearm on my person all the time at home but a little something or several somethings are never far away. Besides the stashed sidearms there are a couple 12 gauge shotguns and a .357 lever carbine all stoked up.

If I didn't have two large attentive dogs -in the house- that apparently can hear a gnat fart... I might feel differently about my choices.

Walking Dead
February 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
Keep my carry piece in the front of the house and another easily accessible pistol at the back of the house next to the shotgun. I don't worry too much while I'm at home. My Great Pyrenees alarm system never fails to warn if anybody is close to the house.

wheelyfun66
February 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
I figure most violence will happen suddenly and without warning...
I carry on my person in the home.
nightstand when sleeping.

Mykey
February 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
When in the house i always keep a .45 within reach. If i go out of the house i have a 9mm on my waist or in my pocket. I pretty much have a handgun on me or a reach away at all times.

Win73
February 27, 2012, 12:36 AM
Actually, right now I have two on me and three strategically placed around the house.

FIVETWOSEVEN
February 27, 2012, 12:55 AM
If everyone carried at home, there would be a lot less successful home invasions. It's not paranoia that someone carries in their own home, it's preparedness. Don't berate those that are more prepared because why? Why is it a bad thing?

Live and let live.

Lee D
February 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
both...pistol on my hip and various long guns loaded around the house

David E
February 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
I get big laugh from folks armed "to the teeth" who live in areas with very low crime rates.

Maybe that's WHY their area has a low crime rate, Einstein.

Seanpcola
February 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
I live in a very low crime area, semi-rural, great (and heavily armed) neighbors. Even at that I have my Elsie Pea on me till I climb in bed. I wear a robe after I shower in the evening so it fits right in my pocket. I have my Moss 500 by the bed and another handgun easily accessible but it only makes sense to be armed 24/7.

Geno
February 27, 2012, 10:16 PM
I carry 24/7/365 where legal. As I wander around the homestead, I always carry a Glock 19C and a Glock 26 with Winchester Ranger 115 grain +P+ HPs, and two spare magazines. At night, my typical defensive arms are a G17 with 33-round magazines, a M6 light/laser, and a Remington 870 Tactical.

Some folks might ask "Why?!" Simply stated, between my Advanced Tactical Training, and my defensive firearms, I feel secure. My family also feels very secure. To me, a firearm that is handy, is only "handy". IMHO bad idea.

Geno

JR24
February 28, 2012, 12:52 AM
My Ruger is generally on my hip or next to the bed in a GunVault (i.e. when I'm in bed). The 80 lb dog who hates it when anyone gets on her porch also helps as a warning system.

wildehond
February 28, 2012, 07:56 AM
I carry on me except when I go the bed obviously.
But as long as you pick one way and know here the weapon is and have a plan to get to it.

ucfd_cyclist@yahoo.com
February 28, 2012, 10:51 AM
I always carry while I'm outside, grilling, yardwork, playing with kids, etc. I often carry inside, once I"m dressed, mainly to get used to it. I have only been carrying for a year now and you know the whole "practice makes perfect" thing. I do have some firearms readily accessable should the need arise inside.

johnsack2001
February 28, 2012, 12:05 PM
I always have my HG on me except in the shower and in bed but in those cases I have the one of the rifles at hand.

FIVETWOSEVEN
February 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
Does that mean you bring a rifle into the bathroom with you?

XTrooper
February 28, 2012, 06:39 PM
I always keep at least one weapon within easy reach when at home. If I move to another room, a handgun comes with me either in my hand or my waistband. It's been that way for over 40 years.

marv
February 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
I pocket carry all the time everywhere it's legal and loaded guns are stashed in various locations.

johnsack2001
February 29, 2012, 12:07 PM
Does that mean you bring a rifle into the bathroom with you?

Yup. One time of taking a dump before a shower and having a BG come in was one time too many.

krupparms
February 29, 2012, 01:45 PM
I carry at home 24/7, sleep with Kel-Tec P3AT, Carry 1911 when out &about!

JustinJ
February 29, 2012, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloJ

Maybe that's WHY their area has a low crime rate, Einstein.

So criminals do studies of gun ownership levels in each neighborhood with data that doesnt exist before choosing homes to hit? Huh.

I don't feel the need to constantly carry at home because the chance of somebody bashing through my front door with a battering ram in open view of everybody on my street seems sort of unlikely. If somebody tried the back yard i'd know before they took their first step. A home with any decent level of security should offer one the time needed to acquire a weapon in the highly unlikely event a BG was trying to force his way in during waking hours. Unless one expects ninja/swat team attacks, as many apparently do, eating dinner with a gun on the hip should not be needed.

asia331
March 1, 2012, 12:09 AM
After dark at home it's an SP101 on the body. Daytime there are accessible concealed firearms in a couple locations. Out and about.. ..carry wherever legal

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 1, 2012, 12:29 AM
Yup. One time of taking a dump before a shower and having a BG come in was one time too many.

That would definitely push me to do the same, my handgun sits in it's holster on the floor when I take a shower because it has shown that the moisture won't damage it. Do you clean your rifle or wipe it down after a shower?

wrs840
March 1, 2012, 12:29 AM
I put a gun on in the morning when I get up and take it off when I go to bed. You get used to it and don't notice it. You also don't forget it when you have to go outside...

Me too. ...but I don't "lounge around" in sweats or underpants.

Being armed is now as natural to me as having my cell and wallet. My wife and kids know, and would think it odd if I wasn't armed. This isn't a "Rambo" thing, it's a habit, and those of you who ask have no idea how easy and natural carrying even full-framed autos IWB actually is after you get used to it. No one else notices. Even at family holiday gatherings with hugs from close family, they have no clue, except maybe one of my brothers. Try it for a few months and you'll see, you get over your imagined concerns about why carrying always "can't" be natural, easy, or "practical".

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 1, 2012, 12:36 AM
A home with any decent level of security should offer one the time needed to acquire a weapon in the highly unlikely event a BG was trying to force his way in during waking hours. Unless one expects ninja/swat team attacks, as many apparently do, eating dinner with a gun on the hip should not be needed.

No matter what, I'd prefer to already be prepared then rely on the badguy taking time to start kicking in my door. That's my view and either way, not everyone has a house or apartment that would allow time. Just wondering but if you step out to take out the trash or check the mail, do you holster up?

S&Wfan
March 4, 2012, 02:44 AM
My Model 37 Airweight is ALWAYS in my front pocket, where legal!

I know a fella whose brother awoke on a dark night as an intruder pounced on him in his BED!

It was a horrible fight for control of the homeowner's S&W .357 Magnum revolver the owner kept in his bed for a long time.

During the bloody fight even the wood stocks got broken off as the gun and the two guys took a pounding! The homeowner prevailed and the predator met his maker . . . but the homeowner went through a lot of counseling. Killing another human being is a terrible thing to have to go through . . . but HE LIVED.

Yep, I carry all the time. Never expect to use it . . . but neither did he!

Autolycus
March 5, 2012, 04:41 AM
It varies on what I am doing at the house. Outside of the house I am armed but inside I am near a weapon for most the day.

JustinJ
March 5, 2012, 09:46 AM
Just wondering but if you step out to take out the trash or check the mail, do you holster up?

If i'm going to step outside for a second I don't always holster up. It generally depends on what i'm wearing and how long i'll be out. My four legged body guard is usually in tow as well though.

Captjon
March 6, 2012, 01:04 AM
The first thing I do in the morning is put my shorts on and take my Ruger P95 out of the gun safe next to my bed. The last thing I do before going to bed is put it back in the quick access gun safe.

We live on a large rural property and there have been a few times where trespassers have come onto the property (marijuana grows are popular around here in Northern Cal) and I was glad to have my firearm with me and not in the house. There was one occasion where I asked them to leave and they said "no", it wasn't until they heard my thumb break snap that they decided it was in fact time to go...

Win73
March 6, 2012, 10:31 PM
My Model 37 Airweight is ALWAYS in my front pocket, where legal!

Ditto my 637 Airweight. In fact it is in my pocket as I am typing this.

If i'm going to step outside for a second I don't always holster up.

Since it is always in my pocket, I always have it when I go outside. In fact at night, especially when I go out the back door, I often have it in my hand as I open the door.

flaman
March 6, 2012, 10:39 PM
on my person... Always!

Guy B. Meredith
March 7, 2012, 01:00 AM
12 GA is hard to carry around all day so I just keep it loaded and available per our emergency plan.

Sergei Mosin
March 7, 2012, 01:29 AM
To twist an old phrase, a gun on the hip is worth two in the safe.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 7, 2012, 10:57 PM
If i'm going to step outside for a second I don't always holster up. It generally depends on what i'm wearing and how long i'll be out. My four legged body guard is usually in tow as well though

Hope no one decides to jump you in that second.

allaroundhunter
March 7, 2012, 11:10 PM

I don't see a big problem with his going out for a second being unarmed. His dog can give him a very good indication if something isn't right, and many dogs are VERY protective of their owners.

When I go outside to play a game or something I don't do so armed. If you feel like there is never a time in your life that you can go outside unarmed, and do so safely, then you are either paranoid or need to move to a better part of town (or both)

johnsack2001
March 7, 2012, 11:26 PM
The sad truth of the matter is sometimes it is more cost effective to arm up rather than move out.

Win73
March 8, 2012, 12:43 AM
If you feel like there is never a time in your life that you can go outside unarmed, and do so safely, then you are either paranoid or need to move to a better part of town (or both)

If I really thought that there was a reason to go outside armed at that particular moment, I would not go outside. I would fort up inside and call 911. If there was an existing threat outside, I would stay inside. I look at going outside armed as just insurance. I don't expect to die any time soon but I still carry life insurance just in case. I have no life threatening health conditions but still carry the insurance. I don't expect my house to burn down but still carry fire insurance. I know of no condition that should cause it to catch on fire but I still carry the insurance. I don't expect to have an automobile accident but still carry accident insurance.

I know that the odds of me ever having to use my gun for self defense are very small. I do not lead the kind of life that would increase those odds. I do not live in a bad part of town. So I carry just for insurance. Out of the millions of people who play the lottery, a few hit it big. Out of the millions of people in this country, a few get struck by lightning. I figure my odds of needing to use my gun are probably about the same as those.

So I carry for insurance. Who knows when I might simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time. As the saying goes, I am not worried about the bullet with my name on it, but the one addressed to whom it may concern.

If in that rare case that I might need it I have it. If I don't need it, what have I lost by carrying it?

allaroundhunter
March 8, 2012, 12:48 AM
I look at going outside armed as just insurance.

As do I, but what I am saying is that if there is a time when I really cannot be armed for a few minutes outside, I am not going to worry too much about or think that it will be the end of me...

If you were outside rolling around and playing with your kid, would you still keep a gun on you? I wouldn't, but it wouldn't be a reason for me to not go outside and play.

orionengnr
March 8, 2012, 12:56 AM
Obviously, there are two ways to look at this. I can only look at it from my position...and I understand that yours may vary.

If you are a sheep, you can bleat "Why do you need to be armed"?

The rest of us say "Why should I go unarmed?"

It does no harm to anyone else for me to be armed, and that is what counts.

One day it may be beneficial to myself or someone else. If so, great. If not, no harm done.

What could be simpler?

JustinJ
March 8, 2012, 03:43 PM

I just somehow find it very unlikely that a person will be hiding in my bushes to ambush me as i walk outside.

I would venture more people are killed or injured by falls every year than ambushed in their front yards so do you wear a helmet every time you walk?

Win73
March 8, 2012, 09:16 PM
I just somehow find it very unlikely that a person will be hiding in my bushes to ambush me as i walk outside.

I don't know you but it probably is true that it is "very unlikely". But can you say for certain that it absolutely will not ever happen?

I would venture more people are killed or injured by falls every year than ambushed in their front yards so do you wear a helmet every time you walk?

No, but I am armed!

JustinJ
March 9, 2012, 11:26 AM
I don't know you but it probably is true that it is "very unlikely". But can you say for certain that it absolutely will not ever happen?

So do you take steps to defend against all things for which you can't say "absolutely will never happen"?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525992,00.html

Skribs
March 9, 2012, 06:22 PM
I don't carry when I'm at home, but I do have a "belt" (18-inch double strip of webbing) that I can put my paddle holster on screwed into the bottom of my desk. I'm a gamer, so I spend probably 60% of my waking hours at home on the computer, so that makes the most sense.

Eventually I will have a spot to keep one handy, but hidden in every room of my condo, be it a handgun or a long gun (more likely a handgun, though, since those are easier to keep hidden).

When I go to bed, though, it goes into the safe. When I'm asleep, I don't want there to be any that an invader can get to before they get to my room.

316SS
March 9, 2012, 07:43 PM
So do you take steps to defend against all things for which you can't say "absolutely will never happen"?

Let's talk numbers. I live in a city in Northern California with a rate of reported violent crime of 729/100K. That is a 10 year average ending in 2010. Assuming a 100% report rate, that means my statistical chance of being the target of violent crime is 1 in 137. I have read, and I believe, that the greatest factor in being the target of violent crime is lifestyle, i.e. whom you associate with and where and how you spend your time. I am a family man and I make every attempt to avoid risky behavior, but I refuse to have my last thought on earth be that I am leaving my family without a husband and father because I couldn't be troubled to put on a holster.

Win73
March 9, 2012, 11:18 PM

No, probably not all things, but I do defend against them if it is reasonable to do so. If it is easy, cheap, and simple to do so, why not? Even though the probability that someone will try to attack me as I step outside is small, how much trouble is it to drop my LCP or my S & W .38 into my right front pocket? Or why not just always have it on me as I do right now. Even though I probably won't need it, what harm does it do for me to have it? I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

2ndAmFan
March 9, 2012, 11:31 PM
Well, I put a handgun on in the am when I get up and put it in the nightstand next to my bed when I go to sleep at night. If that makes some people think I'm paranoid, fine. I've been doing it so long that it's second nature.

If you enjoyed reading about "HD gun, on your person or kept handy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!