Colt 1911 1918 Repro - worth it?

PDA

wojownik
February 21, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'm looking at a Colt 1911 (Factory model of 1918 repro) that is preowned, but looks 99% (under 50 rounds fired). Any feedback on this model? What would be a reasonable price to offer ($900?).

I'm salivating over it, but would probably need to sell off a few things to balance the checkbook.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 1911 1918 Repro - worth it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rellascout
February 21, 2012, 01:34 PM
Which one is it? The Black Army with the WWI serial number or the Carbonia Blue?

If it has everything including the small brown box, wax paper for the gun and mags along with the reprinted manual and blue custom shop box $900 to $1000 is fair price IMHO but most people want a lot more. They often sell on GB and other places for $1200 to $1400. Most people pay more for the Carbonia Blue because there are less of them and they are out of production.

They are very nice guns. They are basically a 70 series Repro with some slight cosmetic changes and different rollmarks. They sold NIB for $900 to $1200 depending on your market. They are not really any higher in qualiy than other Colt Production guns except of the finishes which are unique to these models.

They are cool looking preproductions of the old pistols. IMHO it is silly to pay $1500+ that people pay when you can find a good 1918 for $2000.

Pilot
February 21, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hi. I bought two of the 01918, "Black Oxide" Colt WWI Repros before their production run ended. They made about 4,000 of them which is actually less than the "Carbonia Blue" 01911 WWI Repros.

I don't know the current market for slightly used 01918's, but they are certainly worth $900. A new, regular production Government Model is about that. I bought two 01918's so I could shoot one and keep one as a safe queen because I like them so much. The one I shoot is flawless, and is very accurate and reliable. Other than the smallish sites, I don't really know why any other upgrades were done to this pistol. It is that good as is.

Rella wrote:

Most people pay more for the Carbonia Blue because there are less of them and they are out of production.

There is somewhat of a premium paid for the Carbonia Blue (01911) over the Black Oxide (01918) not because of the numbers produced but because they've been out of production longer than the Black Oxides. There were actually MORE Carbonias produced than Black Oxide. Production of the Black Oxides ended in the Fall of 2010, so they are also out of production, and no longer made.

rellascout
February 21, 2012, 01:42 PM
Hi. I bought two of the 01918, "Black Oxide" Colt WWI Repros before their production run ended. They made about 4,000 of them which is actually less than the "Carbonia Blue" 01911 WWI Repros.

I don't know the current market for slightly used 01918's, but they are certainly worth $900. A new, regular production Government Model is about that. I bought two 01918's so I could shoot one and keep one as a safe queen because I like them so much. The one I shoot is flawless, and is very accurate and reliable. Other than the smallish sites, I don't really know why any other upgrades were done to this pistol. It is that good as is

The Carbonia Blue is no longer in production but the Black Army 1918 is. They have not produced any lately because of the 100 year Aniv Tier III models but I imagine once that run is over you will see the 1918s back.

A new production 80 series is a $750 to $800 gun. A 70 series Repro is $850 to $900. I would say that the 1918 is on par with a 70 series.

Pilot
February 21, 2012, 01:46 PM
No. The 01918 "Black Oxide" is also out of production and has been for almost a year and a half. I bought my second one right before production ended in the Fall of 2010.

Again, there were LESS 01918's made than the 01911's. 01911 production ended in 2007, and 01918 production ended in 2010.

rellascout
February 21, 2012, 01:52 PM
No. The 01918 "Black Oxide) is also out of production and has been for almost a year and a half. I bought my second one right before production ended in the Fall of 2010.

Again, there were LESS 01918's made than the 01911's. 01911 production ended in 2007, and 01918 production ended in 2010.

It was my understanding that they were still in the mix. I could be wrong. Either way the WWI Black Army is not worth as much as a Carbonia Blue. I used to have a Carbonia Blue but I traded it for a CMP Collector Grade HRA Garand.... :D

They are great looking guns but they are not worth what people pay for them IMHO.

Pilot
February 21, 2012, 02:46 PM
The question was not which WWI Repro is worth more, it was what is a slightly used 01918 is worth. :rolleyes:

Having a little sour grapes over letting a gun go that is continuosly appreciating?

For the THIRD TIME. Production of the 01918 ended in 2010. So if you want one now you are going to pay A LOT MORE. :D

wojownik
February 21, 2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks, I should have specified it was Carbona Blue.

Rellascout - I agree if repro pricing starts to approach that of the original. At the same time, I'm not sure I could bring myself to take an original 1918 out as a "range toy". Maybe once a year on Armistice Day, in rememberance.

Both my grandfathers carried a 1911 in the Great War. One carried his 1911 in the Mexican Expedition a few years earlier as well.

rellascout
February 21, 2012, 02:54 PM
Having a little sour grapes over letting a gun go that is continuosly appreciating?

LOL not at all. I believe the Collector Grade Garand with cert from CMP is going to be worth a lot more in the long run that that commerative Colt. Have you checked Garand prices lately? They will do nothing but go up. The value of an orginal garand will always increase. With instant collectibles that is not always the case. The 1911s are very popular now after the 100 year aniv. I think the nostiga over these Repros is feed by that.

People are paying a lot of these now but really they were $900 guns when they were in production. They are essentially the same as the Tier III Aniv. So when you consider those are $1000 to $1100 guns I think that paying more than that for one is stupid. Again they are great guns but what people pay for them is crazy. $1400 + is nuts IMHO. Only someone holding one in a safe looking to make money at a later date would take a different view IMHO. :neener:

rellascout
February 21, 2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks, I should have specified it was Carbona Blue.

Rellascout - I agree if repro pricing starts to approach that of the original. At the same time, I'm not sure I could bring myself to take an original 1918 out as a "range toy". Maybe once a year on Armistice Day, in rememberance.

Both my grandfathers carried a 1911 in the Great War. One carried his 1911 in the Mexican Expedition a few years earlier as well.

If is is Carboina Blue then it not a 1918 it is a 01911 WWI Repro and should have a serial number ending in WMK. A lot of people do just call both WWI Repros. I can understand not shooting a a true 1918 pistol but then again people are not shooting these either because they are believe that they will have high collector value in the future. I certainly shot mine. If I still owned it I would shoot it.

One of the reasons I traded mine was because I enjoy shooting my 70 Repro more than the WWI as a range toy and was offered a nice rifle in exchange. I always keep my eye out for them and if I could score one for less than $900 I would consider it.

Pilot
February 21, 2012, 03:40 PM
Both the 01911 Carbonia and 01918 Black Oxide are WWI Repro pistols. Both are discontinued. The Carbonia was discontinued first and has been out of production the longest so commands a few hundred dollar premium. The Black Oxides have been discontinued for about a year a half, so are starting to creep up in price over their original purchase price.

I have seen Carbonias go for $1500+ new, but used, I would expect a bit less. Grab it if you can. They are wonderful pistols, as are the Black Oxides. They are the exact same gun except for the bluing. The Anniversary pistols while similar in style are NOT WWI Repros as they differ in roll marks.

Peter M. Eick
February 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
All this discussion is why I bought an original 1918. Neat gun, and great history!

Pilot
February 21, 2012, 07:52 PM
You know, for some reason I have little interest in the originals. I really enjoy shooting my Repro, but I do appreciate the history of the originals. You got a great score there Peter, and if that thing could talk it would tell some neat stories.

I have an original Luger, and C-96 Broomhandle that I feel the same way about.

wojownik
February 22, 2012, 07:31 AM
OK, I gather so far that $900 for a O1911 (carbonia blue) in excellent condition (no scratches, etc..) is not unreasonable, and may(?) actually be a decent deal.

The S/N was not on the list of Colt recalled pistols, so that at least is encouraging.

Looks like 4000-4400 units of the O1911 series were produced during its run.

Pilot
February 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
$900 is a STEAL for a Carbonia in that condition. If you don't buy it I will! :evil:

I believe your production numbers are very close. I know they exceeded the original 4K limit, but not by much.

wojownik
February 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
Will be picking it up tomorrow, and will post pics when I get it home. Thanks, this has been valuable.

JohnBT
February 22, 2012, 03:00 PM
Good, you'll like it. I paid $999 for a blue one when they were being made and it's been a great shooter and one of my favorite pistols. Some people paid more and some paid less, but a grand was average back then.

Before buying it, I posted on the 1911 forum to ask the collectors the pros and the cons of the Carbonia Colt versus an original for a shooter/plinker. The answer was that the originals were not heat treated to modern standards and there would be very good chance of breaking something and taking a big financial hit. That, and small parts were expensive if it was something other than the slide or frame that broke.

John

wojownik
February 23, 2012, 04:49 PM
Picked it up today, and ... wow. She's a beauty. Pix below

In the box:
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/viher_photos/IMG_2698.jpg

With grandpa's decorations from the Great War
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/viher_photos/IMG_2696.jpg

rellascout
February 23, 2012, 04:51 PM
Score!!!!

wojownik
February 23, 2012, 04:53 PM
More pix - another with Grandpa's decoration's

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/viher_photos/IMG_2699.jpg

with my whole 1911 family - from the top: Colt O1911 Carbona WW1 repro; Sistema Colt (1963 vintage, w/ numbered mag); Colt 1991A1 Stainless; and Springfield 1911A1.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/viher_photos/IMG_2692san-1.jpg

Pilot
February 23, 2012, 06:10 PM
Beautiful, just beautiful. That was a GREAT deal!

Nice pics too, especially with the decorations.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 1911 1918 Repro - worth it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!