loading press that moves sideways?

PDA

tlmkr38
February 21, 2012, 06:11 PM
I am trying to find a picture or video or something on a press I saw in a shop years ago. If I remember right it was green, a progressive but instead of rotating it moved the cases from one side to another. They would come out move over and back in, the dies were set into it in a line.

Does anyone have a clue as to what this press is or where to get a picture of one? Always thought it was really neat to see work.

If you enjoyed reading about "loading press that moves sideways?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wil Terry
February 21, 2012, 07:52 PM
RCBS made a press like that and CH made a ton of presses like that.

Then of course there is the AMMOLOAD, IN A CLASS BY ITSELF.

Owen
February 21, 2012, 08:19 PM
The RCBS Green Machine. I've always wanted one, but they have a reputation for being very finicky

GT1
February 21, 2012, 08:34 PM
Still, pretty interesting press.

I found this short vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK5FmbKg-GQ&feature=related

hang fire
February 21, 2012, 09:09 PM
RCBS and every one of the first ones I saw were a piece of crap.

tlmkr38
February 22, 2012, 12:18 AM
thanks everyone! I do believe that is the one I saw. At least I know I wasn't dreaming. I'm a tool and die maker and when I saw that I just thought the mechanics of it were really neat.

Might not work great but I think I'd still like to have one :)

Owen
February 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
if I had the cash in my pocket, and saw one for sale, I'd probably pick it up.

Kevin Rohrer
February 22, 2012, 03:19 PM
You can pickup a Green Machine for not much money, as the common opinion is that is how much they are worth. The various integrations of the C-H press are supposed to be better, but each model has weaknesses.

The only one I have ever heard of that worked correctly was the Camdex, but they are rarer than hen's teeth.

I'd love to have an inline press that works, but the build cost is prohibitive, as would be the cost of changing it from one caliber to another.

oneounceload
February 22, 2012, 03:50 PM
Camdex isn't rare - it is a commercial machine and VERY expensive

Owen
February 22, 2012, 07:15 PM
the ammoload is also a linear progressive

Joatmon
February 22, 2012, 09:00 PM
Camdex used to make a smaller version of the 2100 series commercial machine. It was the JS63 and could be obtained with a hand lever or a motorized version. It was a 7 or 8 stage linear machine but they have not been made for at least 15-20 years. There are a few of them around but not many. They had two auto stop stations where the press would shut down (powder check and empty primer tube) instead of the 5 or 6 check points of the 2100 series. Getting a used green machine would be a lot easier and cheaper. Watch out for the primer system on the green machine. I stopped using mine after the first "problem".

DM~
February 22, 2012, 09:10 PM
I have both, a RCBS Green Machine and a C&H Auto Champ, and yes, they do require a bit of fiddleing with...

DM

fecmech
February 22, 2012, 09:13 PM
I have two CH Auto Champs a MarkIII and a Mark 5A. I've been using the MarkIII since 1975 and it's a good machine. Bought the 5A about 5 yrs ago and it's better yet as the priming tube is out of the way when you seat the bullet on the case. I can easily with no hustle at all load 400 rds/hour although I rarely load for an hour. I normally load a couple hundred, fill the primer tube for the next session and putter with something else. Here's a pic of the 5A
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll80/fecmech/Dscn0873.jpg

Kevin Rohrer
February 22, 2012, 09:39 PM
Camdex isn't rare - it is a commercial machine and VERY expensive

I used the wrong name. It will take a bit of research to find the right name.

josephbw
February 22, 2012, 11:18 PM
Here's another link to the RCBS Green Machine in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJsr2ufRZK8&feature=related

Striker Fired
February 22, 2012, 11:46 PM
It really seams neat, and I'm surprized they didn't really catch on or become more reliable.To me it looks pretty straight forward and in many ways easier to deal with.

Jim Watson
February 23, 2012, 09:14 AM
I have a CH AutoCHamp Mk IV, bought in 1978 to load a lot of .38 Special wadcutters for PPC competition. Pre-Dillon, it was the only progressive other than the very expensive Star.

It has its points both ways.
Pro:
Linear operation, everything in plain view.
Simple reliable primer feed, none of the fiddly adjustments of the Dillons.
Standard equipment case feed.
Fixed bushing powder measure, nothing to worry with once you have the right bushing in place.

Con:
Fiddly linear advance mechanism, the "dog" that cams over the slide must be just right, cleaned, lubed, and adjusted... frequently.
Cam operated powder measure that drops powder whether or not there is a shell present. You can't skip a round, pull out a defective one, or run in single stage mode like you can a Dillon.
Fixed bushing powder measure, no way to fine tune except by reaming and testing.

I never tried to change calibers on it but I bet it would be tedious.

fecmech
February 24, 2012, 04:49 PM
I never tried to change calibers on it but I bet it would be tedious.
Takes about an hour if you are changing primer sizes, less if not. Not a real big deal once you've done it a time or two.
PS: Where is the primer tube on the MarkIV??

blackhawk44
February 25, 2012, 03:43 AM
There were also the Ransom Grand Master and the Cougar and Hunter. The weakness of the in-lines were the priming systems. They ranged from finicky to dangerous. Keeping feed troughs clean was imperative. Some were short on shielding in case of accident.

Jim Watson
February 27, 2012, 07:21 PM
The primer tube on my Mk IV is front center.
Pro: It directly feeds the primer bar with little to get out of adjustment.
Con: There is no disconnect to limit gang fires. The tube does have an outer steel shield. I popped a primer in mine one time. It had sat up for a while and the advance came up short and the primer sheared against the edge of the hole. There was no gang fire. I blame it more on the finicky case advance than the primer feed.

Did Ransom ever actually sell the Grand Master? I saw the prototype in a gunzine but never saw them available anywhere.

fecmech
February 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
The primer tube on my Mk IV is front center.
I heard one of the machines had the tube in the back, I guess it must be the MarkV then. My MarkIII is in the front on the bottom platen and the 5A on the top platen which I like the best. It's nice not to have the tube in the way when placing a bullet on the case.

Offfhand
February 28, 2012, 05:59 PM
The Rolls Royce of progressive loader is the Schell Loader. It is a straight line (sideways) feed with a virtually foolproof box-square operating system. They were quite expensive even 25 years ago, costing about $1,500, so less than 200 were made. Today a used one will sell for $5,000 or more but they very rarely come up for sale because people who own them won't part with them.

Owen
February 28, 2012, 11:16 PM
offhand, do you have any images of the Schell?

Offfhand
February 29, 2012, 10:38 AM
Owen, everyone, here's a quick snapshot of a Schell loader. It's a BIG tool, weighing about 70 pounds.

Owen
February 29, 2012, 02:30 PM
I wants it. I wants my precious.... come here precious

brickeyee
February 29, 2012, 06:22 PM
It looks like Rube Goldberg lost his reloading press.

I had an RCBS Green Machine years ago.

It was a major PITA to keep working.

The 4x4 is much better, but it eats the nylon washers as the hex rod passes through in the advance mechanism.

If you enjoyed reading about "loading press that moves sideways?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!