Question about Florida state law...FFL's...

PDA

WonderNine
February 11, 2004, 03:44 AM
I know there's a FEW states that require by state law that someone who ships a gun to an FFL to have an FFL themselves. Could somebody tell me if Florida is one of those states?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about Florida state law...FFL's..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WonderNine
February 11, 2004, 06:09 AM
Oh darn, I hope somebody would have responded now. I'm trying to figure out if it's state law or if this FFL dealer in Florida where the gun was sent to just has a big head or is a snob before I talk to them. I don't even know if this gun was yet transfered to the buyer.

This was a gunbroker transaction and he didn't seem too interested in giving out personal details and requested that I don't call him at his home number. I willl call his gun dealer (Al) (yes he said his gun guy's name is Al :) ) sometime tomorrow and I'd like to know for sure about Florida state law before I talk to them.

I forgot to ad, I shipped a rifle through Fedex to his FFL and I'm not an FFL as I've done many times before.

Dave P
February 11, 2004, 08:21 AM
Not a lawyer, but if I SELL a rifle to someone in another state, I need to ship to a FFL. Repairs: I don't worry about FFL's.

In State buyer: ship rifles with no FFL.

Does that answer your question? You didn't explain your situation too well.

Dave

Hkmp5sd
February 11, 2004, 12:19 PM
Florida does not require a firearm sent to an FFL in the state to be shipped from an FFL. Anyone private party in the US may ship a firearm to a Florida FFL.

WonderNine
February 11, 2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks Hkmp5sd, that is the response I was looking for. Could I ask where you got your information?

I did speak to the dealer and the buyer on the phone today. The buyer is kind of pissed because the gunshop won't even let him look at the rifle. I spoke to his gunshop guy and he claims that Florida law requires that guns coming in be sent from an FFL. When I asked him he also went on to say that a whole lot of states are that way.... And I am not an FFL of course so... I told him I would send out a copy of my local FFL's license to make him happy.

The guy who bought the gun said that while he was in there a Sheriff's deputy came in in full uniform looking to buy a backup gun and the gunstore guy said he had to go through the five day waiting period. :rolleyes:

Not saying the gunstore guy is right about the shipping thing as I think they make up their own laws these days....:barf:

Hkmp5sd
February 11, 2004, 08:41 PM
Florida Statutes - Title XLVI - Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0790/titl0790.htm&StatuteYear=2003&Title=%2D%3E2003%2D%3EChapter%20790)

Originally, when they passed the waiting period law, LEOs were not exempt. They have since changed that one.

(d) The following shall be exempt from any waiting period:

1. Individuals who are licensed to carry concealed firearms under the provisions of s. 790.06 or who are licensed to carry concealed firearms under any other provision of state law and who show a valid license;

2. Individuals who already lawfully own another firearm and who show a sales receipt for another firearm; who are known to own another firearm through a prior purchase from the retail establishment; or who have another firearm for trade-in;

3. A law enforcement or correctional officer as defined in s. 943.10;

4. A law enforcement agency as defined in s. 934.02;

5. Sales or transactions between dealers or between distributors or between dealers and distributors who have current federal firearms licenses; or

6. Any individual who has been threatened or whose family has been threatened with death or bodily injury, provided the individual may lawfully possess a firearm and provided such threat has been duly reported to local law enforcement.

Doncha like exemption #2?

WonderNine
February 11, 2004, 09:20 PM
Thanks alot for the response. Well the FFL went out today to make the gunshop happy.

TarpleyG
February 12, 2004, 08:01 AM
The guy that only charges me $10 for a transfer tries to claim this crap everytime too. I have pointed out that he is mistaken but he won't have any of it. Must be a store policy. Guess they want to cover their a$$.

GT

Dave P
February 13, 2004, 08:39 AM
HK - is this a new exemption clause - I don't think I have seen it before:

2. Individuals who already lawfully own another firearm and who show a sales receipt for another firearm; ...

TNX
Dave

Hkmp5sd
February 13, 2004, 01:59 PM
It think its been there since the beginning. Back when they were trying to pass the waiting period law, it was sold as a "cooling off period" and someone asked why a person that already owns a gun should have to wait before taking another one home..

JimJD
February 13, 2004, 02:53 PM
Doncha like exemption #2?

Ooooooo! I love exemption #2!
So the next time My father or I pick up a car gun from the same dealer(or have a past reciept)...We can walk out with said gun that same day. Nice!
I love Florida :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about Florida state law...FFL's..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!