Can't sit down carrying concealed

PDA

JBrady555
February 22, 2012, 03:23 PM
Hey guys I just bought a new ruger p95 along with a IWB leather holster from theholsterstore.com. Holster arrived yesterday and I picked the gun up today. I tried it on first thing today but I couldn't sit down while wearing it. I tried it at 3 oclock, 5 oclock, and cross drawn at 10 oclock, but couldn't manage to get seated without leaving one leg stiff and leanin back a little, lol. What am I doing wrong? I know that the p95 is big for CC, but I don't think they would make a IWB holster for it if it wasn't possible to somewhat carry comfortably. Thanks for any info, I'm a CC novice so its possible that I could be doing any number of things wrong.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can't sit down carrying concealed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
February 22, 2012, 03:26 PM
Wearing low cut pants? Higher ride in the pants will help.

memphisjim
February 22, 2012, 03:26 PM
hmm i do a glock 19 just ahead of my rear pocket
is ride height of the holster adjustable , or have the ability to be angled?
are your pants tight?

BemidjiDweller
February 22, 2012, 03:31 PM
I never tired to carry my P95 IWB, but I do find that my OWB holster (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=691339) works great. I put it right infront of the 3 o'clock belt loop and it rides well while sitting, standing, and driving.

Edit: I wear it straight up and down, not canted or anything.

9mmepiphany
February 22, 2012, 03:51 PM
It sounds like you're wearing your pants too low.

JBrady555
February 22, 2012, 03:54 PM
My pants are all wrangler cowboy cut jeans, I'm not sure if that would be a high or low cut, don't know much about that. They are 38's that are a little tight but 40s are too big for me. The holsters height is not adjustable, it has a little angle in it too, its just a leather holster with two leather belt loops in it. The holster lets the barrel get on my leg a little below my thigh, makin it hard to bend and sit. Thanks for info.

Certaindeaf
February 22, 2012, 03:55 PM
Hitch your pants up higher.

JBrady555
February 22, 2012, 03:55 PM
I'll try pulling my pants up. I don't sag them or anything like that. I'm not a gangster.....lol.....

Certaindeaf
February 22, 2012, 04:00 PM
^ lol.
Some things just are. If you have a body type that precludes certain parameters, then it is so and try to work around it if all possible.
I used to wear 29x36's and could and would conceal an 4" M-29 under a snug t- shirt Mex carry. It's different now and I do what I can do. Good luck.

JBrady555
February 22, 2012, 04:05 PM
I hear ya certaindef, I'm a fairly big guy too, 230lbs, the beer belly makes it hard to conceal a gun without printing. I have some looser fittin shorts that will take a belt, maybe I'll have better luck with them and my new holster....and yes its shorts weather down here in Panama City, lol.

Certaindeaf
February 22, 2012, 04:09 PM
.its shorts weather down here in Panama City, lol.
Those are jealous words! gah! (not really, can't really complain up these parts). Anyway, don't sit down. It's probably for the best anyway. lol. Wish I could help more.

JBrady555
February 22, 2012, 04:57 PM
Anyway, don't sit down.

HAHA!! Thats one way to solve this problem of mine I reckon. Thanks for the info though, I'm gonna try riding my pants higher when I get back home. If I can't get it to work out I've got an old leather P89 OWB holster that seems to fit the p95 as well.

W.E.G.
February 22, 2012, 05:10 PM
Somebody will be along shortly to proclaim how his super-something-or-other IWB holster allows him to carry the 1911 at the 2 o'clock position.

IWB holsters have to be the MOST uncomfortable things I've ever attempted in firearms gear.

If somebody robbed me while I was wearing one of those things, I might insist that he take the gun and the holster too, just so I wouldn't have to endure it any more.

OWB for me.

Its way easier to find shirts that cover the holster than it is to find a large enough crease in my lard to tuck any pistol worth carrying.

GLOOB
February 22, 2012, 05:17 PM
The holster lets the barrel get on my leg a little below my thigh,
Way too low for an IWB, or for any concealed carry. Try a rig that sits higher up and has more "FBI" muzzle cant.

JBrady555
February 22, 2012, 05:34 PM
Way too low for an IWB, or for any concealed carry. Try a rig that sits higher up and has more "FBI" muzzle cant.

I just looked at the holster website again and I got the pro carry deep comfort instead of just the pro carry. Why in the world would they make a "deep" IWB holster for this big gun knowing that it wouldn't be comfortable or allow people to sit down. Guess I'm out 50 bucks.

jbstratman
February 22, 2012, 05:41 PM
For me, anything with a barrel over 3" wouldn't work IWB. I tried it. 3" M&P is at the limit. For sitting, that is . . .

jrdolall
February 22, 2012, 05:58 PM
I went to a pocket pistol for this reason. In the southeast it is usually just too hot, 70s today, to wear a shirt with another shirt over it for proper concealment. I do not want people to see my ccw since I am around kids at baseball games and such so, for me, it is better to carry a 380 or small 9mm in my pants pocket. Khakis work best but jeans are okay.

newbuckeye
February 22, 2012, 06:21 PM
Its way easier to find shirts that cover the holster than it is to find a large enough crease in my lard to tuck any pistol worth carrying.

Holy crap...I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG time...wiping tears from face... but I feel your pain (5'10 and 285 lbs). I've bought 6 guns and holsters thinking they would be perfect for IWB. (don't tell the wife!) I am waiting on a holster for my CZ rami 2075 .40sw to see if it's gonna be a #7......

MuleRyder
February 22, 2012, 06:26 PM

Too funny...BTW I have the same problem although I have managed to carry my SR9c IWB

Byrd666
February 22, 2012, 06:49 PM
I know the feeling of not being able to sit down with my IWB. I am a big guy in the other direction of sorts, tall, 6-2 or 6-3, depending who you ask, and skinny, about 220. Finding pants alone that fit right are enough for me to get testy but, that's for another rant. What I've found that works best for me is, a combo IWB/OWB made with a clip so when really needed I can carry inside my pants an most others outside between my belt and my pants. The latter is fairly easily covered with my snap button work shirts. This is for my CZ 83. For my Ruger SR9, I'm getting a new OWB holster that pulls the weapon close to my body and is just as easily covered with the same work shirts. And either holster is "easily" adjusted for sitting or standing. Now granted these work shirts are the thicker, almost canvas like material but, they really don't print like a t-shirt does. Although here in East Texas a t-shirt might be preferable, I guess I just made the adjustments I needed to to carry every day.

Good luck

coolluke01
February 22, 2012, 07:03 PM
I had to get a size larger pants and carry strong side at 3. If I carry at 4 it's hard to sit and I feel the grip in my back against the chair back. I IWB a G26 in a Crossbreed supertuc.
I think a good gun belt will help me as well. I think if it sags some it doesn't ride high enough and can bind.
I'm also 6' 185 lbs. Believe it or not but I thought having some pudge would help CC. Any protrusion shows when I'm wearing clothes that flaunt what the good Lord gave me. lol So I just have to wear flannel. That helps break up the lines.

mio
February 22, 2012, 07:58 PM
alright ill throw in my carry and let you all laugh. watch pocket

im a big guy 6'4" 250lbs and didnt realize this would make it harder to carry. the first carry gun i bought was a uses s&w 65-3 3" and as much as i love the gun the cheap nylon blackhawk iwb holster i bought for it was very uncomfortable in the appendix carry i prefer and "walked" up in the 4:30 position. it about fell out a couple times. i carried it owb with a fleece jacket till the weather warmed up.

when the weather warmed up i was looking for something smaller and ended up sticking my pheonix arms .22 in my watch pocket. voila! a long tee shirt and it disappeared, was very comfortable and i never had a problem with it moving around. not the best gun to carry but it was what i had.

i recently spent 2 months looking into a better carry gun that would work year round and have more punch and hit on the kahr cw .45 its been perfect for me. fits into the watch pocket the trigger guard completly covered, feels so good i pretty much forget its there, and gives me everything i could ask for in a gun from fit to function to caliber.

wont work in all pants i have some regular 5 pocket jeans i got for xmas i cant carry it in but it fits the cheap carpenter jeans from sportsmans guide perfectly.

JustinJ
February 22, 2012, 08:13 PM
I've gone more towards high OWB. Fobus holsters are relatively inexpensive but generally require a baggier shirt than IWB allows. The P95 is awfully big for CC though.

Tomcat47
February 22, 2012, 08:16 PM
I had similar situation.... the size I wear and next size up are conflicting!

Levis used to make in between's like 39...but you usually can not find them but at a warehouse outlet or irregular store.

Here is what worked for me...

Dickies, Wranglers, Levis etc. etc. were either too tight or way too loose or just not comfortable at all!

So I just kept trying different brands of jeans and found that Carhartt were just perfect..I wear two styles work and play. I wear the Carpenter Style and the Relaxed Fit. I also want to try the Duluth Trading clothing as well. It looks like they would be a good candidate!

Ship_engineer
February 22, 2012, 09:08 PM
Crossbreed super tuck.
I am a bigger guy 6'2" 280ish i carry a HK USPc in 40S&W or a SIG 226

No one sees it and even a plain t-shirt will cover even in shorts.

Also suggest "Carpenter " style jeans.

Dnaltrop
February 22, 2012, 10:08 PM
I personally use Lee Carpenter jeans mostly, but I have muscular legs...and any kind of squeezing sensation makes me claustrophobic. Levi's 550's crush me in inconvenient ways when I sit.

Even worse when you're 6'5" and relatively slim, all the little buggers who WANT to wear sagging jeans buy out all the ones in my size!

I have a big hankering to try both the Duluth Firehose jeans, and their (snicker) Ballroom jeans. Their commercials are a Hoot.

coolluke01
February 22, 2012, 10:54 PM
Big +1 for the Firehose jeans. I wear them everyday. Lots of crouching room.

1911 guy
February 22, 2012, 11:24 PM
Eh. Body shapes are different.

You might try a different cut of pants to see if it makes a difference. It might, it might not. I carry a 1911 in both IWB and OWb holsters depending on what I'm wearing and that's right at the limit for me. If the barrel was 5 1/4 inches, it would be a no-go.

It might be worth your while to experiment with different holsters. Most of us who have been carrying for a long time, years or even decades, usually have a drawer full of lightly used leather that didn't quite work out. I guess I'm saying you're not the only one who has bought a holster and wound up not liking it immediately or after a little use and discomfort.

danoam
February 23, 2012, 06:12 AM
I would try out a Crossbreed Supertuck. I have carried a P95 for two years in one and have had no issues at all with comfort. The height and cant can be adjusted easily to suit your preference. They also have a 2 week trial period where if you are not satisfied within 2 weeks, they will buy it back from you. It took me 2 days to decide that the Crossbreed was right for me. I did just order another for my newly purchased M&P9C and should have it in about a week and a half.

JTQ
February 23, 2012, 07:34 AM
Is this the holster you bought?

http://www.theholsterstore.net/product-info.php?Pro_Carry_Deep_Comfort-pid5030.html

Notice this picture series from forum member tmoore912 at the bottom of this thread. I consider these to display the proper ride height for an IWB pistol. You should be able to sit easily if carried this way.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=567867&highlight=tmoore912

Wanderling
February 23, 2012, 12:52 PM
You can try wearing a second belt just for your carry. This way you can adjust both the height and location much easier.

I personally have little discomfort with a full size G17 OWB around 3 o'clock, slightly canted. Even under a t-shirt, it's hard to figure what's there - and most time it's covered by my right arm. When I asked my wife to look & tell me how bad it prints, she looked at me for a minute our so, then said "why are you still standing there ? aren't you going to get it on so that I could take a look ?" - "well honey it is on "

dprice3844444
February 23, 2012, 01:02 PM
i just carry my glock 26 in my shorts pocket and 2 g17 clips in the other

dprice3844444
February 23, 2012, 01:04 PM
go to nrastore.org or http://www.concealedcomfort.com/ and check out the clothing etc

Onward Allusion
February 23, 2012, 01:22 PM
JBrady555
Can't sit down carrying concealed
Hey guys I just bought a new ruger p95

IWB with a P95 is your problem. P95 is not easy for IWB carry.

Jath
February 23, 2012, 02:08 PM
Crossbreed supertuck + 1. You should also buy pants a size larger than you would wear without the gun in there.
There may or may not be a modification you need to do on your holster depending on what gun you own though. Check out this thread with my experiences on my holster here: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnx/26101-crossbreed-supe-tuck-my-fnx-40-has-arrived.html

chrcmurr
February 23, 2012, 06:07 PM
The people before me are right. No low-rise jeans and wear one size larger (ex. if you wear a 32, buy 34). When you're not packing you can just cinch them tighter. Also, buy a good leather or reinforced nylon gun belt. Being a CCW holder is a lifestyle and you have to adapt some things around your gun.

m1911.10mm
February 23, 2012, 07:35 PM
I had similar situation.... the size I wear and next size up are conflicting!

Levis used to make in between's like 39...but you usually can not find them but at a warehouse outlet or irregular store.

Here is what worked for me...

Dickies, Wranglers, Levis etc. etc. were either too tight or way too loose or just not comfortable at all!

So I just kept trying different brands of jeans and found that Carhartt were just perfect..I wear two styles work and play. I wear the Carpenter Style and the Relaxed Fit. I also want to try the Duluth Trading clothing as well. It looks like they would be a good candidate!

I really dislike Academy Sports, but the one thing they are occasionally good for is the odd sized Levi's.

That's where I get my W35 L32 jeans.

If it weren't for those, I'd be in the same boat as the OP.

Finding the right holster turns into a costly exercise for many folks, that's for sure.

Retcop
February 24, 2012, 06:34 AM
Try Carhartt dungarees they are full cut and sit at your Natural waist. They also have wide belt loops for stronger belts. Lots of Pockets for carrying stuff. They are my everyday wear.
I am large and "stocky" and the only jeans I fell comfortable wearing. I carry a revolver most of the time with no problems.

ritepath
February 24, 2012, 11:15 AM
IWB isn't bad as long as you always stand and never sit or ride in a car. From what I can tell you just learn to ignore something pinching, gouging, rubbing your skin. Or wear pants that are too big...
Once you go OWB you'll never go back.

chrcmurr
February 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
IWB isn't bad as long as you always stand and never sit or ride in a car. From what I can tell you just learn to ignore something pinching, gouging, rubbing your skin. Or wear pants that are too big...
Once you go OWB you'll never go back.
I never have a problem sitting and driving with mine IWB. Most of the older CCW people that I know tend to say that when you resort to OWB carry you tend to start leaving your gun in the car or stop carrying all together. I'm not knocking it, but I can't wear an over-sized outer garment or the dreadful safari vest and maintain a sharp image. Just my two cents.

Cheers!

ritepath
February 24, 2012, 11:38 AM
I found just the opposite I gave up carrying until I went OWB. Now the only time I don't carry is at work and aikido.

I haven't carried IWB in 3 or 4 years....I even carry owb at church now in front of everyone on Sundays.

However.com I do mostly wear tees in the summer and pullovers in the winter. I also switched to a LCP for most summer carry. And either carry my 9c or 229 in a pancake holster in the winter.

Half dozen of one, thirty eight of the other.....either way it takes lots of searching to find what's best for you.

Wanderling
February 24, 2012, 01:54 PM
If you live in a state that penalizes for even the slightest printing, IWB may be way to go.

Otherwise, OWB is much, much more comfortable and even if part of the grip prints, 99% of people won't realize what is it they are looking at. My Blackberry is way more noticeable.

Rail Driver
February 24, 2012, 01:58 PM
I carry a full size 1911 IWB between the 3 and 4 o'clock position. I'm 5'7" and 140lbs. I'm wearing it now as I sit at my desk, quite comfortably. I'm wearing a pair of Levi's that are one size larger than my waist, a polymer reinforced belt, and a Galco NSA2 IWB holster. The Ruger you have is quite a bit thicker than my 1911, but you shouldn't have the problems you describe. It sounds to me like your pants are too tight to carry IWB.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can't sit down carrying concealed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!