Considering a trade

PDA

slogfilet
February 22, 2012, 05:32 PM
Long time no talk...

Right now, I'm looking to expand the breadth of my small collection. I currently have a 10/22 rifle, MKII pistol (also .22), my wife's .38/.357 revolver, and a Yugo underfolding AK.

I'd like a 9mm pistol and a 12g as well... I had a random idea to trade/sell the Yugo to get a Hi-Point 9mm pistol and carbine, and a Maverick 88 12g.

I know these are not considered to be beauty queens, but I am comfortable with their operation and performance. From a practical standpoint, would it be wise to consider giving up the 7.62x39 for the 9mm and 12g options?

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering a trade" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
leadcounsel
February 22, 2012, 05:49 PM
Keep the AK. You can pick up a Hipoint for $100, the Maverick for about $150, and a Hipoint rifle for cheap too.

slogfilet
February 22, 2012, 05:52 PM
Even cheaper than I thought! I'll have to keep an eye out... with the HP and the Maverick, I guess hte need for the carbine would be lessened.

Dmitri Popov
February 22, 2012, 06:12 PM
No way would I get rid of the SKS for that group. Nothing against the guns you listed, just that the yugo's are bringing to much and ,in my opinion, serve more of a purpose in your collection, than the guns you would be getting.

ridgerunner1965
February 22, 2012, 08:01 PM
keep your eyes open. you can pick up a lot of pump shotguns for just a little over a hundred buks used.one of my favorites i gave 40 buks for. looks bad but shoots good

bannockburn
February 22, 2012, 09:06 PM
I would hang onto the Yugo AK and just wait for the right time to pick up any of the guns you listed. All of them are currently available and relatively inexpensive. The Yugo AK would be somewhat more expensive to replace later on if you ever choose to do so.

1911 guy
February 22, 2012, 11:52 PM
Just echoing what everyone else has said so far.

Check out local shops and classified ads for a used 12ga and the Hi-Points do indeed go new for right about 100 dollars. No need to dump a completly serviceable rifle to, in effect, downgrade.

gym
February 24, 2012, 12:01 PM
NO NO NO, the AK is unbeatable for close quarter to mid field suppresive fire, or home invasion by a group. That is your main source of defense if TSHTF. Do not get rid of that one. The shotgun you mentioned can be had on gun trader for $100-$150, It's usually the cheapest in buds online catalog, the new Hi_point is $150, at the shot show. So you are trading 2-300 dollars worth of guns for a $500.00 AK. Not a good deal, If you said a glock and a 590 mossberg, then maybe, but of all the guns my gunstore can have behind the counter, they have AK's. You can lay 10 rounds into a target by the time you pump that shotgun twice.And the hi-point is just a second rate gun, it is better than it used to be, but most here would not own one. Poor concealment quality also. And if you get nervous with a pump, you can freeze up and forget to pump it if under fire. The ak is just a better gun for you.

Gregaw
February 24, 2012, 04:41 PM
I'd guess most people on this forum would agree that they have lived to regret getting rid of guns. Unless you hate the Yugo, keep it and buy the other things you want when you have the money and find a good deal. I've only sold one gun, and even though I hated it, I still miss it some days. <insert teardrop>

B!ngo
February 24, 2012, 08:47 PM
I don't think you've provided enough info (nor are you obliged to of course) to provide sound advice.
If you are collecting for the sake of owning items that interest you, only you know the answer to that one.
If you are collecting with an eye toward future value, then it doesn't seem like you are considering some prudent trades here, but many others on this forum are more expert than I.
If you are building a collection to stock a list of reliable guns that focus on improving your performance, for either defensive and/or competitive reasons (my personal interest) I would:
Focus around a few common and reasonably priced ammo types (say, .22, .45, .223 and 12 gauge)
Focus on owning one or more guns in each category that have a common manual of arms
Buy fewer high quality designs and then become very proficient with them.
And if you suffer from being one of the 10 percent-ers (yes, I'm left handed), then you further have to decide if you want to own any non-left-hand or non-ambi designs in the collection. It's a bummer, but I have a big thing about that. Most right-handers tell me I'm nuts. :)

chris in va
February 24, 2012, 09:28 PM
If you want a pistol carbine, consider a KelTec. My HiPoint was fun, when it wasn't at the factory for repair. Stuff kept snapping off.

I noticed you don't have an AR. Good ones available for ~$630.

USAF_Vet
February 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
Keep the AK. As a former owner of a Hi Point carbine and .45 ACP pistol, they are okay, but you can do better, especially in the used market.

On the other hand, I also have a Mav 88, and I think it's a great shotgun for the money.

Selling an AK to fund two mediocre Hi Points and a budget scatter gun doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

slogfilet
February 27, 2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks to the sounding board... I've decided to keep the AK and see what I can pick up along the way.

I *did* buy a Yugo SKS for my wife's birthday last week; I had sold one years ago and always regretted it. (Yes, this is what she wanted for her birthday!)

I think my next buying priority will be a reliable 12g pump, then I can go from there.

Thanks again!

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering a trade" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!