Would you join a gun club that required NRA membership?

PDA

yukfoo
February 22, 2012, 07:56 PM
Disclaimer: I'm a current NRA member with a five year membership. This thread is NOT about the NRA and it's strengths and weaknesses. Please don't turn this into a "for or against the NRA debate", because it's not meant to be that.

Okay here's the scenario. I'm a longtime member of a gun club that requires that applicants undergo a background check and complete an orientation session. No one has to vouch for you. As a result of this arrangement, the membership is comprised of shooters from all walks of life and varying degrees of firearms experience. Some folks shoot several times a week, others maybe twice a year. There is a lot of comraderie amongst members and everyone is helpful. The range is run in a way that emphasizes safety and fun, in that order. I truly enjoy being a member.

Recently, the decision was made to require that all gun club members hold NRA memberships beginning next January. The club's rationale for taking this direction is so it will be more competitive for NRA grants. There may be other underlying motives but that is the official rationale. Provisions have been made so that folks can join the NRA through the club and the club gets a small kickback.

Existing members will not be grandfathered. Roughly half of the current members hold NRA memberships as of now. Membership in other pro-2nd amendment organizations will not be sufficient to join or remain a member of the club. Now here are my questions:

1. If you were an existing club member who's not in the NRA (for whatever reason), would you join the NRA in order to remain a member of the gun club?

2. If you were a non club member and non-NRA member who wanted to join the club, would you join the NRA to gain club membership?

Looking forward to your responses.

Foo

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you join a gun club that required NRA membership?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jeepnik
February 22, 2012, 08:00 PM
Hmm, I think my answer would be, I'd join the NRA whether a gun club required it or not. So if it's required it really wouldn't make a difference.

But, being a Life memeber it's not an issue.

Sam1911
February 22, 2012, 08:05 PM
I've been a member of several clubs -- all required NRA membership. It is a practice that is good for the club, and also a good "service" the club can provide to do a little bit to increase membership in the NRA.

Like the horse you can lead to water but whom may or may not drink, you can't make folks be politically aware and active. But this is one way that you can get more folks seeing the printed material, seeing the message (even if only on the way to the trash can :rolleyes:) and at least provide a present and easy route for them to become more active if the light eventually sputters to life.

If nothing else, it swells the numbers of the NRA and makes the organization "officially" represent just that many more people, which is an important factor on Capitol Hill.

guyfromohio
February 22, 2012, 08:06 PM
I'd join that club.

btg3
February 22, 2012, 08:07 PM
Roughly half of the current members hold NRA memberships as of now.

Why does it matter what anyone else would do? Please let us know how this plays out at your club.

Ok, FWIW... #1 Yes, most likely. The cost is perhaps a box or two of ammo. I'm not going to leave a good club for that, but it may not sit too well with some folks.

#2 been there and did that -- to join the club I'm now in.

Bottom line: Get ready for a bunch of whining that changes nothing :D

chevyman097
February 22, 2012, 08:14 PM
I am not currently an NRA member. So No, I would not join a gun club that required NRA membership because I am not going to join the NRA just to join a gun club.

Although I respect the right of any private organization to make their own rules and enforce them. I just dont see the need to require people to be a member of additional clubs just to join another. I would see it being more productive letting people into the club then maybe encouraging NRA membership. I would think to some new shooters that dont fully understand the NRA may be turned off.

I do plan on one day being an NRA(I have donated to Pro 2nd organizations in the past, just not currently) member and a member of a gun club of some kind(havnt found one yet close enough to justify according to how much I shoot).

Bentley4700
February 22, 2012, 08:15 PM
Not a chance on either count. Never.

oneounceload
February 22, 2012, 08:16 PM
Clubs that do that typically get certain monetary gains from the NRA in return for being 100% NRA, whether it is liability insurance, range improvement money, etc.

Malachi Leviticus Blue
February 22, 2012, 08:22 PM
Disclaimer: I am the NRA!
Yes, seems reasonable for a gun club. Most "Clubs" of any kind gun or not are targeting an audience smaller than the general public, and the NRA seems like a reasonable filter for a gun club. Now if I have to be a Vegan, join PETA, watch The Cooking Channel, subscribe to Sirius XM, or join Netflix, those would all seem unreasonable base on the premise of a gun club.

Join the NRA? Sounds like a Win, Win, Win for me, the club and the NRA.

Tinpig
February 22, 2012, 08:24 PM
My rifle range/association requires NRA membership, membership in Mass. GOAL, and that you be a registered voter. I have no problems with any of that. Apathy is our worst enemy.
I believe NRA membership is required by our range liability insurance policy.

Tinpig

Bentley4700
February 22, 2012, 08:31 PM
Not being a member of the NRA has nothing to do with apathy...

JustinJ
1. If you were an existing club member who's not in the NRA (for whatever reason), would you join the NRA in order to remain a member of the gun club?

Absolutely not. I strongly disagree with NRA positions and actions regarding certain aspects of hunting. I would not have a problem joining an advocacy group about gun rights only though.

2. If you were a non club member and non-NRA member who wanted to join the club, would you join the NRA to gain club membership?

See question 1.

hso
Clubs are going to grandfather existing members regardless of their membership in other organizations so I don't think that needs to be a concern.

Sam1911
February 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
Not being a member of the NRA has nothing to do with apathy... For a small percentage -- a VERY small percentage -- of shooters that may be so. There are a few folks out there with various heartfelt reasons for not wishing to support the NRA but who actively work for RKBA in other ways. Sounds like maybe that's you. Great.

For the VAST majority though, it's just apathy.

Pietro Beretta
February 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
No I would not; what if I like to support SAF/CCRKBA instead of the NRA?

Then again, their range their rules.

:o

Sam1911
February 22, 2012, 08:36 PM
what if I like to support SAF more than the NRA?

So since I don't have an NRA membership I cant join, I don't like that idea.

I don't think his club was requiring you to swear allegiance to ONLY ONE RKBA organization.

I'm sure they'd be just fine with you sending twice, three times, or even TEN times more to SAF than you do to NRA. :)

Zeke/PA
February 22, 2012, 08:36 PM
My Club requires N.R.A. membership.The club CERTAINLY does not lack an active membership.

Jeb21
February 22, 2012, 08:38 PM
My club requires an NRA membership.

glove
February 22, 2012, 08:38 PM
Yes, even if I wasn't a life member.:)

The Lone Haranguer
February 22, 2012, 08:39 PM
It would have to be a really nice gun club. :scrutiny:

SlamFire1
February 22, 2012, 08:46 PM
My Gun Club requires that you belong to the NRA to join.

We don't have any problems getting members.

In fact, we have too many. Weekends are crazy. National holidays are crazy.

I am proud I became a NRA life member this Jan.

We need to be organized to fight anti gun legislation, apathy is not going to win this fight.

exavid
February 22, 2012, 08:46 PM
The club I belong to doesn't require NRA memberships. It promotes the NRA and you can join the NRA for ten bucks off if you do it through the club. I do belong to the NRA but wouldn't have dropped my membership if I didn't over the requirement. Our club makes decisions that affect members at its monthly business meeting. All members are welcome to attend but of the 570 members we have only about 12-14 routinely show up. That means decisions are made by a small group of us. That's the way it is with most clubs, only a few show up for voting on decisions or doing any volunteer work keeping the club building in shape or other such. Those that don't show up and vote get what they deserve, decisions that don't take their feelings into consideration. We could put proposals on our website and let people vote on line but we chose not to. If you don't care enough to show up in a club where most everyone lives near by, things you don't like may be decided upon. Personally I think it's a better way to run a club than the State of Oregon does with mail in voter ballots. Participate or take what comes without griping.

Harrod
February 22, 2012, 08:55 PM
There are two gun clubs in my area that require NRA membership, I just joined the closer one to myself. I have been wanting to join the NRA for a while and needing it to punch holes in paper was a just the push i needed. So, yes to both.

Dnaltrop
February 22, 2012, 08:56 PM
I'm on the 10 year Life plan, and yes I started the habit because my Range required it of members.

The ownership has changed, and they've relaxed the requirement, but I'll still follow through with my Full-price Easy-Pay plan. $1000 is a small price to pay in such small increments to support the biggest dog (and their/Our lawyers) in the fight.

22-rimfire
February 22, 2012, 08:59 PM

Yes, but I would hesitate to be forced to become a life member of the NRA if I were not already one.

Hell, Yes. Life membership requirement I would question.... (same as #1)

My club asks if you are an NRA member and asked if you have a HCP/CCW permit. They have lots of people who want to be members and my suspicion is that they would not grant a new person membership without an NRA membership unless they are family with other members. But for a total stranger like me when I first joined.... I doubt I would be a member today without the membership.

smalls
I think it really comes down to how a member views the NRA. Some people like it, and are already a member/ will become a member. Some view the NRA as useless, or don't agree with their mission, and will find a new club. Some don't care about the NRA at all, and will either not join because of the extra few bucks, or will join because it's only a few extra bucks.

smurf hunter
Clubs that do that typically get certain monetary gains from the NRA in return for being 100% NRA, whether it is liability insurance, range improvement money, etc.

+1

For the club I belong to, it VASTLY reduces our annual dues by leveraging NRA liability insurance. Also there are numerous grants offered. Most applicable to members are the instructional courses for only $20/person. I've taken a few, ranging from mediocre, to outstanding.

With this requirement of NRA membership, there's still a waiting list several hundred names long, as we've capped membership count.

Poper
February 22, 2012, 09:01 PM
Would I join a shooting club that required NRA membership?
Of course. I prefer it that way.

Poper

aeriedad
February 22, 2012, 09:02 PM

Well, I'm already a Life Member, so...yes. Having five kids and a truly obscene grocery bill, an NRA Life Memebership was something of a sacrifice. If I liked the gun club, the NRA requirement would just be a further inducement to do what I would have been thinking of doing anyway (assuming I was not already an NRA member).

I don't know. It might depend on how much I thought I would get out of the gun club. Best answer: Probably.

jfh
February 22, 2012, 09:03 PM
The club I belong to--and have, for twenty-plus-years--requires it. It became a requirement in the Eighties, IIRC--because it was far and away the cheapest way for us to get range liability insurance, plus the other club benefits (national listing, etc.).

At the time I joined, the club was primarily a 'Sportsman's Club'--e.g., with a focus on shooting sports such as Trap and hunting needs. By the time the Nineties and antigun sentiment was in high tune, we also realized we could use the NRA expertise--and clout--in dealing with the lead-ban activism.

Now the club active membership has rolled around to a point where the club requirement is hardly a burden; members realize that for us it was a good way to maintain our location and viability.

Jim H.

lilguy
February 22, 2012, 09:08 PM
Both clubs I belong to require it and are old established and growing organizations. I had been a life member years before I joined a club. I live in Illinois and because the state required me to be a "licensed" gun owner I joined the NRA to fight this sort of idiocy.

Old krow
February 22, 2012, 09:11 PM
I personally have no problem with it. I'm a member and would be regardless of the requirements. I don't think that it's always in the best interest of the shooting community at large to impose the requirement, but, it probably is in the best interest of the club. By no way does that mean that I do not think that we should support the NRA, but if it turned off new shooters to the sport then our numbers would eventually dwindle and thus not be worth it. I haven't done a study it, it's a conditional opinion. :)

Beak50
February 22, 2012, 09:23 PM
My first club required it then dropped the requirement,don't ask me why?My other club requires it.I and my son are,he is 13, life members.There is no reason for anyone who own's a firearm not to belong to the NRA it's kinda like hand in glove.That's the way I was raised I guess.

M2 Carbine
February 22, 2012, 09:26 PM
Yes.

In fact, if I opened my range to the public I would require NRA membership to shoot here (only adults of course).

longknife12
February 22, 2012, 09:34 PM
Been a member of Clear Creek County Sportsman Club for 18 years...NRA membership is mandatory. Club has about a 2yr waiting list! Rifle, trap, pistol and aw's. I was NRA before I got into it.
Dan
NRA Endowment
:cool:

JohnBT
February 22, 2012, 09:47 PM
If I wasn't already a member, I'd be proud to join because of all the things the NRA gets done every year.

"with various heartfelt reasons for not wishing to support the NRA"

I'm amazed there's a soul out there who can't identify ten dollars worth of good that the NRA does every year. That's all an associate membership costs, $10, but you don't get a magazine. Surely the NRA does $25 worth of safety training or range design or something that a full member can be proud of.

By federal law, dues cannot be used for political purposes.

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Is this a free membership?

www.nrahq.org/FreedomAssoc/default.asp

John

PT92
February 22, 2012, 09:50 PM
Sometimes we over-complicate/belabor things that can be answered with a simple:

YUP;)

Enough said.

-Cheers

lightman
February 22, 2012, 09:53 PM
Yes to both of your questions.Right or wrong,and I don't always agree with them,The NRA is the loudest organized voice that we have as gun owners.I could make another statement or two,but would probably get this thread locked.If you are not a member,you should be. Lightman

DAP90
February 22, 2012, 09:54 PM
Absolutely

As far as requirements go I’d rather have that than a day doing maintenance; which I’ve seen as a requirement for one local club. I’m a member already anyway.

kimberkid
February 22, 2012, 10:02 PM
Our only local outdoor range requires NRA membership because the NRA is our insurer ... Not that it maters but I'm a life member anyway.

browningguy
February 22, 2012, 10:04 PM
Although I am an NRA member and have been for quite a long time the answer is no (if there were other options). The reason is I don't like people telling me what I have to do with my personal life. I feel that having a shooting club telling me what to do outside the range is no different than the government telling me what to do in my personal life.

Since it's there club they can require what they like, and I'm free not to join.

Hocka Louis
February 22, 2012, 10:07 PM
In fact I quit a Trap Shooting Club because they were instituting this same NRA membership requirement, and I was an NRA Member for as long as I can remember that is certified by them in a few ways, gets two of their magazines, and donates every time any of their groups ask -- every time. But I don't believe in forcing people, including myself, to do anything.

They could have their club and I could quit in protest. FYI, the club fell apart the first year I quit and never met again thereafter.

Birch Knoll
February 22, 2012, 10:30 PM

Sure.

Absolutely.

rem22long40x
February 22, 2012, 10:50 PM
I would not join a club that would alow non NRA mimbers !!!!

Manny
February 22, 2012, 11:05 PM
The club I belong to is a gun club, not a sportsmans club and being the NRA is the big gun defending second ammendment rights I have NO problem with them requiring NRA membership. Those were the rules upfront when I joined and the club has recieved significant monies from the NRA for club improvements. Seems like a mighty fine deal to me. As a matter of fact one of our members was kind enough to sponsor me for the $300 life membership recently and I was thrilled. Something that I've wanted to do for years and could never afford until now.

ball3006
February 22, 2012, 11:11 PM
My club does. However, I have been an NRA member forever...........chris3

Ignition Override
February 22, 2012, 11:17 PM
Yes, with no hesitation.

My first club required me to join back in '08, and having been in the dark about gun issues until then
(lived in a cave until '07 at age 52, in terms of gun issues:o), it makes a lot of sense.

Byrd666
February 22, 2012, 11:25 PM
Being a Life Member, the question to me is nonexistent. YES.

On the other hand, some, though I don't know why, are scared to make a dedicated stand or choice of any kind. And with the NRA being just such a Body, people are scared to make a commitment to any political entity that could be/is a political firestorm. Even though they vote this or that based on the color of the sky or water flow, they really won't really stand up for anything. 'Cept the next and or latest PC thing.And also, IF weren't already a Life Member, I might question the extra cost involved in being a member of the range and then of a membership in the NRA. That might, and I do stress might turn me away.

To be honest though, I think it's a good idea. If for nothing else, as another already pointed out, more people will get a little more proactively involved in helping to protect our Second Amendment Rights, as well as a whole lot more of our Rights that might be lost in the future. As they say "It only takes the loss of one brick to crumble"

jcwit
February 22, 2012, 11:28 PM
I belong to 2 "clubs/ranges" both require NRA Membership, I was a member for years before even knowing of these clubs.

To me it only makes sense to support those that support my interests.

BTW, neither of these "clubs/ranges" are going away in the foreseeable future.

abq87120
February 22, 2012, 11:29 PM
I belong to two ranges/clubs also. Both require NRA membership for their insurance which I believe is provided via NRA.

Bentley4700
February 22, 2012, 11:30 PM
Out of respect for the OP, who specicaly asked only for answers to his questions and not turn this into a what I like/dislike about the NRA. I will try to hold my tongue about all of the pro NRA banter going on. I will say this, If I am going to support any cause, I do research. I want to know where my money really goes. I think if people really stopped to take a look at the bowels of what happens with the NRA, they would reconsider their funding an organization that is HELPING to erode our 2nd amendment rights.......
Im sorry if this offends people, but its true.

rodinal220
February 22, 2012, 11:32 PM
Yes

and yes,i'm a NRA member.

A-FIXER
February 22, 2012, 11:35 PM
Yes, of course its just doing my part.

jcwit
February 22, 2012, 11:36 PM
Im sorry if this offends people, but its true.

Provide links to support your opinion, such as it is.

Yup Bently, I'm REALLY glad you're sorry, for you grossly offened me, may we never meet!

Byrd666
February 22, 2012, 11:41 PM
Bentley4700

Put ALL your verification into ANOTHER thread, out of respect for the OP please, and we can go from there on this subject.

Thank you

Bentley4700
February 22, 2012, 11:45 PM
I knew that would happen. People can say what ever they want about the NRA in this thread, as long as its positive. Do your own homework.

IndianaBoy
February 22, 2012, 11:46 PM
Yes.

I have in the past and I would in the future.

Of course I'm an NRA member regardless. They aren't perfect but they are on our side!

Serenity
February 22, 2012, 11:48 PM
In answer to the OP's clearly stated question:

Yes, I would and did join the NRA to join a gun club. They said that it is necessary for the club insurance; I have yet another hat. Win/win.

jcwit
February 22, 2012, 11:51 PM
I knew that would happen. People can say what ever they want about the NRA in this thread, as long as its positive. Do your own homework.

You made the statement, you do the back up. I quit doing homework back in 1961.

Either that or you're bluffing, which I surmise is actually the fact.

Back to the OP's question, one club is more than likely for insurance and range improvements which they have given us thousands in the last couple of years. The other clup, I have no idea, I know its not for insurance as we are covered by other means.

camar
February 22, 2012, 11:53 PM
That would be the only reason I would join the NRA.

dirtengineer
February 22, 2012, 11:55 PM
Yes. I am a life member.

Bentley4700
February 22, 2012, 11:55 PM
deleted. Sorry op.

JohnBT
February 23, 2012, 09:21 AM
"I think if people really stopped to take a look at the bowels of what happens with the NRA, they would reconsider their funding an organization that is HELPING to erode our 2nd amendment rights.......
Im sorry if this offends people, but its true. "

No it isn't true.

John

P.S. - "I will try to hold my tongue about all of the pro NRA banter going on." Note that you failed.

Sam1911
February 23, 2012, 10:18 AM
No it isn't true. ... Note that you failed.
Be all that as it may, the OP did ask folks to not bring up the anti-NRA debate in this thread and Bently4700 has been accommodating enough to try and abide by that.

If he feels like airing his grievances, he's been invited to do so in a thread of his own. (Though, I'd suggest searching the archives to see if one of the dozens of NRA-bash threads is still open, before starting another.)

Let's stop dragging that out here.

jimmyraythomason
February 23, 2012, 10:28 AM
Yes I would absolutely!

Steel Horse Rider
February 23, 2012, 10:33 AM
No.

punchdrunk
February 23, 2012, 10:34 AM
I belong to a great range. Even if I had to join the Harry Potter fan club I would, to keep my range membership. :D

wlewisiii
February 23, 2012, 10:39 AM
Nope. The NRA will never get a penny of my money. I support the 2nd Amendment Foundation instead.

jdietz
February 23, 2012, 10:56 AM
Our club gets it's insurance through the NRA and is required to maintain a certain percentage of NRA members so we require ALL club members to be NRA members. This includes Paid, honorary, law enforcement, and life members.

I do not agree with everything about the NRA but I voted for the rule and support it now 15 years later.

jrdolall
February 23, 2012, 11:00 AM
No. I would never join a club that REQUIRED me to be a member of some other organization. If the gun club said I had to be a member of the NAACP or a Catholic should I join? There are other organizations that support the 2nd, do they require membership in those orgs?
I have been a member of the NRA for 11 years now. I am also a member of the republican Party but I think they are a bunch of goofs just like the Democratic Party. I just seem to have more in common with the Rep goofs than with the Dem goofs.

copper01
February 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
1. Yes
2. Yes, matter of fact I did join the NRA due to it being a requirment to join my gun club.

While I may not agree with all of the legislative agendas of the NRA, the day I unboxed 6 .22 rifles and 3 shotguns that were donated to the club (through a grant) by the NRA for our youth programs was the day I decided it was well worth it.

Pilot
February 23, 2012, 11:03 AM
Yes. My gun club requires NRA membership.

JohnD13
February 23, 2012, 11:03 AM
I was a life member long before I joined the gun club, but yes I would join a club that required membership in the NRA.

GBExpat
February 23, 2012, 11:06 AM

Ab-so-lute-ly.

HoosierQ
February 23, 2012, 11:08 AM
Yes I would. Gun clubs avail themselves to a great number of services of the NRA and I think it appropriate to ask that members be NRA members.

Kristensdaddy
February 23, 2012, 01:06 PM
Our club implemented the NRA membership policy in 2011 through a voted change of the bylaws.

Not sure I understand you folks who say no, I wouldn't join because no one is going to tell me what to do with my "club." Well, at my club the rules are that you will not shoot NFA guns, you will not shoot before daylight, you will not shoot trash on the ranges and you will be a member of the NRA. It is called membership rules, you don't like the rules, shoot somewhere else.

Coop45
February 23, 2012, 01:18 PM
No club, NRA life member. Would I join one, sure.

303tom
February 23, 2012, 01:40 PM
NO.............

gym
February 23, 2012, 01:56 PM
I am an NRA member, but hate being told I "have" to do anything, by anyone. Unless I am in the military or a LEO, I should have the right to choose if I want to be forced to join an organization in order to be part of another.It's not like either are free, in this economy, many people can't afford to pay essential bills, now they can't shoot because they don't have an extra $35.00 that month. No way

PT92
February 23, 2012, 02:00 PM
No one is forcing it upon anyone--if you don't like, don't join the Club (debatably still a free country). If you have money to shoot, you have $35 (or less if you find the need) to join the NRA.

-Cheers

thelaststand
February 23, 2012, 02:09 PM
Gym, I think the membership is 35 per year

PT92
February 23, 2012, 02:12 PM
Gym, I think the membership is 35 per year
It is regularly--Here (just one example) you can join for $25 which is <$35:

http://www.shootingusa.com/LATEST_UPDATES/NRA_news/NRA_Membership/nra_membership.html

cowart
February 23, 2012, 02:18 PM
<< Clubs are going to grandfather existing members regardless of their membership in other organizations >>

The original post said "Existing members will not be grandfathered"

nosmr2
February 23, 2012, 02:30 PM
I joined because the my range required it. I just think of it as $30 more bucks tacked on top of the annual membership. I belong to a great range and would probably join Greenpeace or PETA if required.

M-Cameron
February 23, 2012, 02:31 PM

if i was already an established member for a significant length of time.....and they all of a sudden told me i HAD to join the NRA( or any other organization for that matter)....ide leave. i dont like having extra requirements i didnt agree to forced upon me, regardless of the reason.

if i wanted to join the club, then yeah, ide probably have no problem joining to become a member in that case.

Birch Knoll
February 23, 2012, 02:42 PM
I am an NRA member, but hate being told I "have" to do anything, by anyone. Unless I am in the military or a LEO, I should have the right to choose if I want to be forced to join an organization in order to be part of another.

You don't have to do anything, including being a member of a gun club whose membership requirements you don't like. If the club decides you need to be at least 18 years of age, not prohibited from possessing firearms, show evidence of gun safety training or pay a membership fee, are they telling you what you "have to do"?

It's not like either are free, in this economy, many people can't afford to pay essential bills, now they can't shoot because they don't have an extra $35.00 that month. No way

The benefits the club gets from NRA affiliation aren't free either, those they can obtain with NRA affiliation; others aren't available at all.

If you don't like it, find another club which meets your needs. If you can't find one, feel free to found one. Then deal with the guys who don't like to be told what they have to do.

jcwit
February 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
I belong to a great range and would probably join Greenpeace or PETA if required.

LOL, Well there are times where the line has to be drawn in the sand, so to speak.

valnar
February 23, 2012, 03:05 PM
I'm an NRA member and several clubs near me require NRA membership. I actually respect them more because of that, since the NRA is the big gorilla fighting for our gun rights on D.C. The fact we even need an organization like the NRA to fight for our 2nd ammendment rights perterbs me, but that is another discussion.

I suppose the better question is, why does belonging to the NRA offend those who would not join a club that mandates it? I would assume it's political, but not sure.

phil dirt
February 23, 2012, 03:10 PM
1. yes
2. yes
I have been an NRA member since 1967. I have nothing but contempt for those who value their gun rights but steadfastly bad mouth the NRA. Without the NRA, and to a lessor extent the other gun rights groups, I think we would have lost our gun rights a long time ago.

Ryanxia
February 23, 2012, 03:13 PM
If it hasn't already been stated the NRA insurance for gun ranges is pretty good from what I hear. That insurance though requires the 100% membership, that's the case at my range anyways.

Ford Prefect
February 23, 2012, 03:19 PM
That club is clearly not for me.

I have checked the NRA website for support for the words "arms" or "Militia" on thier site. Not there. Never has been. They think it means skeet shooting or duck hunting. It does not.
When the NRA supports my 2nd Amendment rights I'll join. They haven't yet. So far they've only worked agaist me, but still claim credit for every victory we have gained. Even when they fought those victories, including Heller v. D.C..

NRA is just to protect the sports of rich men. They have, and will keep, selling out the 2nd Amdendment for the sole benifit of rich "sportsment".

When I can find where they support the Militia of the 2nd Amendment, then I'll join. I don't care if they ban skeet shooting for rich people. The 2nd does not protect "sports". Only "ARMS" for the Militia are protected.

Maybe after they loose thier target/duck guns they will finally read the 2nd Amendment and learn to defend Americans right to Arms for Militia purposes. Not "sports".

jcwit
February 23, 2012, 03:21 PM
That club is clearly not for me.

When the NRA supports my 2nd Amendment rights I'll join. They haven't yet. So far they've only worked agaist me, but still claim credit for every victory we have gained. Even when they fought those victories, including Heller v. D.C..

NRA is just to protect the sports of rich men. They have, and will keep, selling out the 2nd Amdendment for the sole benifit of rich "sportsment".

Post proof with links, and not opinion.

Jason_W
February 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
No on both accounts.

I understand why some clubs institute such policies, but I can't bring myself to give money to an organization I don't support (due to their methods, not their alleged cause).

Birch Knoll
February 23, 2012, 03:30 PM
I can't bring myself to give money to an organization I don't support (due to their methods, not their alleged cause)

Here, at least, is a guy who knows the difference between an enemy and a friend with whom you disagree.

Ford Prefect
February 23, 2012, 03:32 PM
I actually respect them more because of that, since the NRA is the big gorilla fighting for our gun rights on D.C.

It's sad that gun owners believe this lie. Not true. NRA fought to prevent Heller v DC from ever getting to court. But when they won, NRA claimed credit for it, and millions sent them money for it. The NRA never once opposed DC's 30 year total ban on weapons in the home. Not once in 30 years.

jcwit
February 23, 2012, 03:36 PM
It's sad that gun owners believe this lie. Not true. NRA fought to prevent Heller v DC from ever getting to court. But when they won, NRA claimed credit for it, and millions sent them money for it. The NRA never once opposed DC's 30 year total ban on weapons in the home. Not once in 30 years.

Where's your proof supporting what you "claim" as a lie?

Just a post of your opinion doesn't cut it.

BTW, these comments need to go to the Activism forum.

valnar
February 23, 2012, 03:36 PM
I'm sure if I tried hard enough, I could find plenty of cases where the NRA legitimately helped our cause. The question to ask is, would we be further along, nationally, if the NRA didn't exist at all? I doubt it.

Ford Prefect
February 23, 2012, 03:40 PM
Post proof with links, and not opinion
Link provided.
No one can prove a negative. I can show where they have fought my rights. Can you show where they have fought FOR my rights (Militia rights, not sports)? Not just claimed credit for it after someone else won.

[edit] National Rifle AssociationAttorney Alan Gura, in a 2003 filing, used the term "sham litigation" to describe the NRA's attempts to have Parker (aka Heller) consolidated with its own case challenging the D.C. law. Gura also stated that "the NRA was adamant about not wanting the Supreme Court to hear the case".[51] These concerns were based on NRA lawyers' assessment that the justices at the time the case was filed might reach an unfavorable decision.[52] Cato Institute senior fellow Robert Levy, co-counsel to the Parker plaintiffs, has stated that the Parker plaintiffs "faced repeated attempts by the NRA to derail the litigation."[53] He also stated that "The N.R.A.’s interference in this process set us back and almost killed the case. It was a very acrimonious relationship."[6]

Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's chief executive officer, confirmed the NRA's misgivings. "There was a real dispute on our side among the constitutional scholars about whether there was a majority of justices on the Supreme Court who would support the Constitution as written," Mr. LaPierre said. Both Levy and LaPierre said the NRA and Mr. Levy's team were now on good terms.[6]

Elaine McArdle wrote in the Harvard Law Bulletin: "If Parker is the long-awaited "clean" case, one reason may be that proponents of the individual-rights view of the Second Amendment—including the National Rifle Association, which filed an amicus brief in the case—have learned from earlier defeats, and crafted strategies to maximize the chances of Supreme Court review." The NRA did eventually support the litigation by filing an amicus brief with the Court arguing that the plaintiffs in Parker had standing to sue and that the D.C. ban was unconstitutional under the Second Amendment.[54
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller#National_Rifle_Association

Ford Prefect
February 23, 2012, 03:45 PM
I'm sure if I tried hard enough, I could find plenty of cases where the NRA legitimately helped our cause. The question to ask is, would we be further along, nationally, if the NRA didn't exist at all? I doubt it.

I'm sure if you tried very hard you would find INDIVIDUALS who have done lots for us. Some of those have been associated with the NRA. But the national NRA is a scam.
I for one believe we would be better off with out them. Then we would see we need an acutal RIGHTS organization, not a "sportsmens" lobby.

I just checked thier website again. I see the word sportsment all over the place, but I can't find the page on Militia. Can anyone find a link to the NRA's "Militia" or "Arms" section? I don't think it exists.

krupparms
February 23, 2012, 03:50 PM
I agree with FORD PREFECT! No, No, No! The NRA is a joke &fools people into wasting money! It has not kept it's word. There are places to shoot for free, if there are no places to shoot then blame the NRA! And ask why not? Need brake, blood pressure rising! :cuss:

jcwit
February 23, 2012, 03:50 PM
Can you show where they have fought FOR my rights (Militia rights, not sports)? Not just claimed credit for it after someone else won.

I don't need to as I did not make a statement such as you did.

Butt as I stated before, the rest of will attempt to carry you on our backs, whether you wish it or not.

Btw, you never did answer the question as to just what you do to support our 2nd ammendment rights, both in monies and time? Or are you just a _____________. I left it blank as I do not use name calling as way of getting a point across, but I'm sure it fairly easy to fill in.

Like I posted before, why not move over to Activism and let this thread continue as it was ment to do.

jcwit
February 23, 2012, 03:52 PM
I agree with FORD PREFECT! No, No, No! The NRA is a joke &fools people into wasting money! It has not kept it's word. There are places to shoot for free, if there are no places to shoot then blame the NRA! And ask why not? Need brake, blood pressure rising!

I feel sorry for you.

JohnBiltz
February 23, 2012, 03:52 PM
I don't think I would. I don't like people telling me what to do and what organizations to join and support. I've gotten crotchety since I've retired.

M-Cameron
February 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
I'm sure if you tried very hard you would find INDIVIDUALS who have done lots for us. Some of those have been associated with the NRA. But the national NRA is a scam.
I for one believe we would be better off with out them. Then we would see we need an acutal RIGHTS organization, not a "sportsmens" lobby.

I just checked thier website again. I see the word sportsment all over the place, but I can't find the page on Militia. Can anyone find a link to the NRA's "Militia" or "Arms" section? I don't think it exists.

National RIFLE Association......

...they are not the national arms/ militia association........

Ford Prefect
February 23, 2012, 03:59 PM
I don't need to as I did not make a statement such as you did.

Butt as I stated before, the rest of will attempt to carry you on our backs, whether you wish it or not.

Btw, you never did answer the question as to just what you do to support our 2nd ammendment rights, both in monies and time? Or are you just a _____________. I left it blank as I do not use name calling as way of getting a point across, but I'm sure it fairly easy to fill in.

I don't see where you had asked me that question, but instead you moved straight to name calling?

Jeff H
February 23, 2012, 03:59 PM
I have always believed that you should belong to a national organization that supported your hobbies to the federal government. We all need lobby groups or else congress and the Prez will stomp on our rights whether it guns or anything else you enjoy.

When I rode morotcycles I was a member of the AMA
When I flew remote control airplanes I was a member of the AMA (different than the one above).
Now that I shoot guns a lot, I am a member of the NRA.

I really don't care that the club I belong to requires NRA membership because I have it anyway. The NRA does dumb things from time to time that I don't agree with but overall, they are one of the very few organizations that stand and fight for our beliefs.

Sam1911
February 23, 2012, 04:06 PM
From the original post:

This thread is NOT about the NRA and it's strengths and weaknesses. Please don't turn this into a "for or against the NRA debate", because it's not meant to be that.

Looks like the OP has gotten as good a cross-section of views on his question as he's likely to get without us drifting into the debate he specifically DIDN'T want.

Further we seem to be approaching the point at which name calling is being insinuated, which is half-a-step away from folks saying things they'll end up regretting.

If you want to have another NRA-bash thread, I think Bently4700 went and started one and is having a flaming good time. Go join him.

If you want to ask a more useful question about whether the NRA should support militias or the militia movement, or perhaps what has been called the "unorganized militia" -- or if its focus should simply be on the right of the citizen to own arms for martial purposes -- that might be a fine thread of its own, but "Activism" isn't the place for it. ("Activism Discussion" perhaps, if you want to start a plan to do something specific about it.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you join a gun club that required NRA membership?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!