One of these things is not like the others

PDA

Fu-man Shoe
February 23, 2012, 02:17 AM
A local pawnshop that advertises "Over 100 handguns in stock!" posted this picture on a local classifieds service. I wonder if they know that one of those things is not like the others? :eek:

While it's conceivable that it's legit, I doubt it. Can you spot the potential felony?

If you enjoyed reading about "One of these things is not like the others" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr.Rob
February 23, 2012, 02:22 AM
The horns on the jackalope are under the legal limit. ;)

56hawk
February 23, 2012, 02:23 AM
Yeah, must be the jackalope. I think they are on the endangered species list.

Davek1977
February 23, 2012, 02:28 AM
Either I'm blind, or you are mistakenly assuming the mare's leg lever action is actually an SBR....It isn't

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=0BU&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1366&bih=598&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=Ha6LPGXAUGeiNM:&imgrefurl=http://maresleg.com/maresleg.htm&docid=7lyyXO7-jLA_TM&imgurl=http://maresleg.com/new-mare1.jpg&w=565&h=344&ei=UepFT6LHFdSTtwfe0dGnDg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=522&sig=108208846559188603726&page=1&tbnh=95&tbnw=156&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=116&ty=21

If that's not it, what is the issue here? Nothing jumps out at me as blatantly illegal

hexidismal
February 23, 2012, 02:28 AM
The only thing I can assume you are talking about is the Rossi Ranch Hand lever action pistol. This is a completely legit pistol.. for now. This is because it is not a cut down rifle, but produced as a pistol to begin with. My state of NY however has seen fit to classify it by name as an SBR under state law (or so I've heard). Everywhere else though it's currently good to go as pistol with no BATFE stamp. Google Rossi ranch hand and you'll find a lot of articles explaining it.

Fu-man Shoe
February 23, 2012, 02:34 AM
Thanks Hex, that's pretty neat. It's a pretty low-brow pawnshop, and I thought for sure that some old boy had cut down his lever rifle and sold it for beer money.

Davek1977
February 23, 2012, 03:32 AM
Nope, they've been on the market for awhile now...Both henry and rossi make a variation of it

Thedub88
February 23, 2012, 07:07 AM
Michael Bain on "The shooting gallery" has one, and its been on the show a few times.

buck460XVR
February 23, 2012, 07:13 AM
Is it the double barreled revolver in the lower right hand corner?

scramasax
February 23, 2012, 09:22 AM
The only potential felony I say was the intratec, depending on who bought it. Like to know what he wanted for the HP.

Cheers,

ts

ApacheCoTodd
February 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
Felony? Felonies more like it - as in two.

Crimes against the very nature of firearms and manly acts throughout the land!

Pink guns - Well, Dog my cats if that isn't illegal on a Federal level it damn sure should be.

'Course, I'd have to bury my Wife's pink AR then or head for the hills.:D

BP Hunter
February 23, 2012, 11:58 AM
I think a customer would need a red dot pointer to point to the gun he would want to handle, rather than I'd like to see...that one.:D

InfamousLegend
February 23, 2012, 12:02 PM
Is that a Tec-9?

Davek1977
February 23, 2012, 12:06 PM
Its either tec-9 or an Ap-9, which is basically the same darn thing...high capacity, low accuracy and reliability, but looks cool!

highlander 5
February 23, 2012, 12:08 PM
I figured the mare's leg or the Tec 9. Funny thing about the Tec 9 it's always reported as a "machine gun" or at least that's the description of the local PD in my neck of the woods
And yes the mare's leg is a pistol and quite legal.

SharkHat
February 23, 2012, 01:40 PM
I'm going with the electrical outlet

Manson
February 23, 2012, 01:59 PM
This is the one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtPiAF0vx44

bigfatdave
February 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
While it's conceivable that it's legit, I doubt it.these kinds of ignorant knee-jerk reactions just make the unconstitutional and silly regulations the ATF enforces seem legitimate to new shooters.
Try knowing what you're talking about next time you accuse someone of a crime, and stop helping malum prohibitum nonsense like SBR laws in the first place.

Jeremiah10:23
February 24, 2012, 02:18 PM
So someone educate me. What was the big snafu with the picture?

CoRoMo
February 24, 2012, 02:30 PM
See post #6, or read more than three posts and you'll get the gist.

mbt2001
February 24, 2012, 02:36 PM
THOSE POOR ABANDONED GUNS!!! This is an outrage!!! We need to rescue them and give them a home where they are warm, safe, and loved...

B!ngo
February 24, 2012, 09:30 PM
The one that appears to be in a holster?
(But hanging such nice things on some crappy pegboard? On little metal hooks? That's a crime right there doncha know....).
B

BIGGBAY90
February 25, 2012, 11:06 AM
Lower right of course

Michael R.
February 25, 2012, 11:18 AM
It's the double barreled revolver.

ConstitutionCowboy
February 25, 2012, 11:23 AM
Love those Mares Legs. The wife and I each have one in 44-40 (Puma Bounty Hunters).

She likes hers because she can get a firm grip on it with her arthritic hands. I got mine because the family that shoots lever action pistols together stays together.............................................................................................
........................................................................................................
........................................................................................................

OK, It's just TOO MUCH FUN!

Woody

JO JO BANG
February 26, 2012, 08:01 AM
Well which one

Manson
February 26, 2012, 08:27 AM
i'm a little surprised you missed it jo. The OP thought the mare's leg was a rifle cut down to an illegal size. It is not. It is in fact a pistol. It did not start out as a rifle and is therefore legal. If you want a closer look just click the link on my previous post.

Positivity
February 26, 2012, 09:23 AM
Possibly the very large looking magazine on the pistol who's name I can't remember for the life of me in the bottom right? That is, if you live in one of those states. Or possibly the whole pistol itself.

Flintknapper
February 26, 2012, 09:33 AM
Nothing illegal there.

The "Mare's Leg" has been around for a long time (custom) and a few companies started making it. As already mentioned...when produced (from the beginning) as a "hand gun" it is legal.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/GalleryItem.aspx?cid=22&gid=159&id=1392

Zach S
February 26, 2012, 10:54 AM
Pink guns - Well, Dog my cats if that isn't illegal on a Federal level it damn sure should be.
I thought the same thing once. Then I had a little girl...

She's four, and she's not ready for the range yet. But I've got a pink Cricket in the safe for when she is.

JO JO BANG
February 26, 2012, 11:03 AM
i'm a little surprised you missed it jo. The OP thought the mare's leg was a rifle cut down to an illegal size. It is not. It is in fact a pistol. It did not start out as a rifle and is therefore legal. If you want a closer look just click the link on my previous post....BUT TO ME ONE OF THEM LOOK LIKE A BLACK POWER PISTOL AND THE REST LOOK LIKE THEY HANDLE A CARTRIDGE

Manson
February 26, 2012, 11:47 AM
Jo. I didn't mean to offend. What I was saying was that the OP's subsequent post explain's that he thought the mare's leg was an illegal rifle. I though perhaps you hadn't read all the post's. I was in fact only trying to help.

JO JO BANG
February 26, 2012, 11:53 AM
No offence taken, i was just looking for which one was different in picture, but i did learn something in this post---what i thought was a rifle is a handgun--thanks

Liberty1776
February 26, 2012, 01:02 PM
now, as far as what's different... there's a derringer in the middle? There's a single shot above the mares leg? (anyone recognize what it is - I don't think it's a Contender.) And as far as the jackelope, every jack pine savage, yooper or iron-ranger knows they're the love child of a hodag and a side-hill gouger...

If you enjoyed reading about "One of these things is not like the others" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!