The Marlin .444 Club

PDA

Alaska444
February 23, 2012, 04:57 AM
I like the idea of discussing a single rifle and the merits of that weapon by folks who own them and actually like them. My favorite rifle of all time is my Marlin .444. When I first purchased the rifle, I did have a tough go with the dreaded Marlin jam. After several trips back to my local gunsmith, I ended up sending it to the factory. Since it returned, it is smoooth and very reliable without any hint of the previous Marlin jam.

This is my dedicated bear gun up in Idaho. I am not getting any younger with 54 coming around the corner sooner than I want to admit. If I were younger, I would of course consider the 45-70, but that isn't a real option for me with a medical condition that limits the amount of recoil I want to handle any longer.

Unfortunately, the Marlin .444 is one of the most unfairly maligned rifles on this planet. Almost uniformly, anyone that actually owns one of these falls in love with it. With the proven power to take down grizzly if needed, it should be much more popular than it is today. That would open up the factory ammo available immensely. If you have never shot one of these rifles, give it a try.

If you own one of these rifles and are tired of people erroneously denigrating it, comment on this thread and I would hope to see how many people are in love with this rifle like me.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Marlin .444 Club" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jem375
February 23, 2012, 10:32 AM
I agree with you on the caliber, the 444 is plenty for anything on the North American continent. I use the 444 case for my 375JDJ rifle and pistol, and with the right bullet it will take anything on the continent including Africa.

xXxplosive
February 23, 2012, 10:38 AM
Purchased my rifle back in the early '70s and it's still a great shooter....have taken numerous bear with this gun and it does it's job unquestionably every time... if I do mine.

Just a great rifle and cartridge for it's intented use........IMO.

CraigC
February 23, 2012, 10:59 AM
I get tired of hearing folks deride it in favor of the .45-70. Which is a great cartridge but with modern bullet designs and the 1-20" twist of the late model rifles, the .444 apologizes to no one. Think about that massive 405gr Beartooth that can be pushed to 2150fps. That's at least 400fps faster than the .45-70 can push a bullet of equal sectional density (~460gr). That my friends is a bonified African cartridge.

MrDig
February 23, 2012, 11:29 AM
I own 4 lever guns but have never fired a 444, I am a huge fan of lever guns however.

Alaska444
February 23, 2012, 03:50 PM
Today, 06:59 AM #4
CraigC

I get tired of hearing folks deride it in favor of the .45-70. Which is a great cartridge but with modern bullet designs and the 1-20" twist of the late model rifles, the .444 apologizes to no one. Think about that massive 405gr Beartooth that can be pushed to 2150fps. That's at least 400fps faster than the .45-70 can push a bullet of equal sectional density (~460gr). That my friends is a bonified African cartridge.

Thanks CraigC, I don't reload and likely never will so the thought that perhaps one day someone might offer the true potential of this rifle in a factory load is what I am waiting for. The Buffalo Bore 335 gr at 2025 fps is the best I can do today. I feel confident with this ammo that it would get the job done, but I wish I had access to the 405 gr combo. That is massive firepower with muzzle energy calculation of over 4100 ft-pds. Yes, the true potential of the .444 has yet to be approached especially with factory ammo.

Salmoneye
February 23, 2012, 04:15 PM

Not that I doubt you, but even the load data on the Beartooth site does not go above 1837fps for the 405gr in the .444 Marlin...

CraigC
February 23, 2012, 04:26 PM
Oh Lord, I'll have to try and remember where I got that velocity figure from. Need to take better notes......

DM~
February 23, 2012, 04:30 PM
I like the round, i just never liked the rifle it came in. I now have a .444 Marlin/12ga. combo gun and i do like it a lot.

DM

gunnerh
February 23, 2012, 04:50 PM
I very happy with mine. I was looking for a .44mag when I found a bearly used one. It has taken mule deer and black bears. Most if not all of my shots have been under 150yds. The Hornaday lever ammo is super stuff. I had a single shot 45/70(H&R) that shoots well .The Marlin recoil less and seems to kill with the same thump.
I have reloaded a shot shell for it with mixed results.

CraigC
February 23, 2012, 05:24 PM
Not that I doubt you, but even the load data on the Beartooth site does not go above 1837fps for the 405gr in the .444 Marlin...
Been searching and thus far all I can find is this post from this thread:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/444-marlin/63366-dangerous-game-rifles-444-a-3.html

"Most folks compare this "Safari Grade 444" modification to the standard 444 ballistics, load data, pressures, etc. This confuses rational thinking people. You have to think "outside the box" when contemplating this modification. Although I use the standard 444 case, and standard 444 bullets with no modifications, by increasing the COAL lenght, I have reduced pressures and increased powder capacity. When you do this, the pressure does not increase proportionately to the increase in powder...pressure and pressure curves change. This changes everything, and makes the loading data, pressures, etc, of the "standard" 444 a moot point. The 405 grain bullet with the powder I am using has a maximum charge in the neighborhood of 37 grains for 1800 fps or so in a standard 444 Marlin. In the Safari Grade 444, the "safe" maximum charge with the 405 grain bullets and the same powder runs past the 52 grain mark....my "accuracy" load is is 51.4 grains at 2160 fps. Another comparison to stay away from is the standard 444 cartridge "ballistics" to the Safari Grade 444 ballistics. The Safari Grade 444 can be compared to the 450-400 Nitro Express, or the 404 Jeffery...those are the ballistics that the SG 444 modification produces. The "standard" 444 cannot meet those numbers without this modification. Regardless of the "numbers", in the end, as was stated above, its all about choosing the correct bullet to match the velocity and the game being hunted. My goal with this modification was to emulate the 450-400 NE or 404 Jeffery ballistics....which I have done. These two cartridges (until the 375 H&H came along....by the way, this modification will produce 375 H&H numbers with the 300 grain bullet) were considered the best "all-around" African cartridges available for all game small to large, including large dangerous game. With this modification I wanted to produce just that...an all-around rifle that could be used for anything (with the right bullet) from deer to elephant and everything in between.....kind of a "go to gun" for the "one gun hunter". If I had to get rid of all my rifles except one, the Safari Grade 444 because of its versatility would be the one I keep!"

So far I have no idea how the rifle was modified to seat the bullets out far enough to gain enough case capacity to reach 2160fps.

Salmoneye
February 23, 2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the link...

I will read it with interest...

Reading the quoted section alone, I'd have to 'guess' that the throat was reamed to allow longer COAL...

I can ot see how the action itself could be lengthened in order to cycle anything much longer than the stock cartridge, effectively limiting the subsequent rounds to 'normal' .444 velocities...

Interesting, to say the least...
'

CraigC
February 23, 2012, 06:33 PM
Probably the throat and the feed mechanism. Similar to what is done with 1894's to feed the heavyweights with a new fast twist barrel. I assume.

jeepnik
February 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
If you are going to get a lever rifle that size, you are far better off getting a 45-70. "Cowboy" loads areas mellow as you can get, easily equaling mild .444loads in recoil. At the other end of the scale, the Garrett and Buffalo Bore stuff are far more potent that the hottest loading available in the .444.

So, as much as I like Marlin leverguns, I don't really see the need for the .444. In fact, I'd say that if you want .44 caliber, you'd be better off with a .44 mag. The rifles are smaller and lighter and much handier.

Alaska444
February 23, 2012, 08:53 PM
Well, it had to come, the usual 45-70 garbage talk about the .444. Sorry, this is a club for those that like the .444. If you want to disparage this fine rifle, there are thousands of threads on dozens of firearms sites where you can find that usual diatribe.

For myself, I have limited recoil tolerance due to medical issues. In that case, the 45-70 is not where I want to go.

On the other hand, looking at the .444 all by itself, it is a fine rifle and capable of handling anything on planet earth. The .44 magnum is a great gun, but we are talking 3000-4000 ft-pds of muzzle energy with the .444 vs maximum of 2000 even out of a lever rifle for the .44 magnum. While the .444 equals or exceeds many 45-70 loads, .44 magnum never gets into .444 territory. The only area that the 45-70 exceeds the .444 is in max loads that come with the price of maximum punishment from recoil.

I am in the process of getting a .44 magnum Winchester in the next month or so. Not a bad rifle, but it ain't in the class of a .444.

In any case, it didn't take long for the naysayers of the .444 to show up, but it appears that to date, those that own these rifles LOVE them. Count me in that crowd. It is by far my favorite rifle of all time. Not at all bad on the recoil end and packs enough punch to be a serious grizzly bear defense rifle. Great combination on all ends.

Long story to state I will simply agree to disagree with you.

slicksleeve
February 23, 2012, 09:01 PM
I have a pre-safety Marlin in .444, and love it. It has XS Ghost ring sights on it. I strongly encourage you to reload for it. I load 265 grain Hornady bullets over Alliant Reloader 7, and 240 grain bullets cast over trailboss. The trailboss loads are pleasure to shoot.

firesky101
February 23, 2012, 10:30 PM
It is really fun to shoot. I need to get my bench setup before I really try to get my dad to give up his. That factory ammo is pricey.

hogshead
February 23, 2012, 10:52 PM
This is my 444 I shortened the barrel to 16.5 and put XS Ghost ring sights on it. I roll my own hndy 265 Fp over 44 gr of 4198 and they hit like the Hammer of Thor. I could have got a 45/70 but I wanted the 444 never regretted it.

jeepnik
February 24, 2012, 12:02 AM
Well, it had to come, the usual 45-70 garbage talk about the .444. Sorry, this is a club for those that like the .444. If you want to disparage this fine rifle, there are thousands of threads on dozens of firearms sites where you can find that usual diatribe.

For myself, I have limited recoil tolerance due to medical issues. In that case, the 45-70 is not where I want to go.

On the other hand, looking at the .444 all by itself, it is a fine rifle and capable of handling anything on planet earth. The .44 magnum is a great gun, but we are talking 3000-4000 ft-pds of muzzle energy with the .444 vs maximum of 2000 even out of a lever rifle for the .44 magnum. While the .444 equals or exceeds many 45-70 loads, .44 magnum never gets into .444 territory. The only area that the 45-70 exceeds the .444 is in max loads that come with the price of maximum punishment from recoil.

I am in the process of getting a .44 magnum Winchester in the next month or so. Not a bad rifle, but it ain't in the class of a .444.

In any case, it didn't take long for the naysayers of the .444 to show up, but it appears that to date, those that own these rifles LOVE them. Count me in that crowd. It is by far my favorite rifle of all time. Not at all bad on the recoil end and packs enough punch to be a serious grizzly bear defense rifle. Great combination on all ends.

Long story to state I will simply agree to disagree with you.
Now ya see, you ask for opinions, I gave mine, and I get hammered. Please, please, please tell me you haven't drank the koolaid at Marlin Owners.

This is exactly what caused the trouble there. I state my opinion, and I won't back down or off. Just the way I am.

Alaska444
February 24, 2012, 12:17 AM
Today, 08:02 PM #19
jeepnik

Now ya see, you ask for opinions, I gave mine, and I get hammered. Please, please, please tell me you haven't drank the koolaid at Marlin Owners.

This is exactly what caused the trouble there. I state my opinion, and I won't back down or off. Just the way I am.

Dear Jeepnik,

You need to go and read my opening post. I stated I wanted to start a club for folks that LOVED their .444 and were tired of people, apparently like you, who disparage erroneously this wonderful rifle. I never asked for another dull and boring and contentious 45-70 vs .444 thread. Thousands of them out there. I suggest you find folks that hate the .444 and start your own club. This is a club for those the LOVE their .444. Once again, it is all in the OP.

If you don't like the rifle, great. You don't belong to the club. Thank you for your input, but the rest of us are simply going to agree to disagree with you. I hope you find another thread to go and state how terrible the .444 is in your opinion, but that ain't the purpose of this club.

God bless,

Alaska444

Alaska444
February 24, 2012, 12:39 AM
Marlin .444 Downs Charging Grizzly

The debate over how good the .444 is or isn't nearly always gets side tracked by comments of I prefer the 45-70 more. The issue of whether the .444 is a good bear defense gun thus goes unanswered every time. Before this thread once again is side tracked, read of the account of a hunter in Canada that killed a charging grizzly with two shots from a .444 and walked away unscathed.

Quote:
The 39-year-old man had been out with his dog hunting for white tail deer 13 kilometres up Harris Creek Road at around 3 p.m. Oct. 19 when a 550-pound male grizzly started charging at the dog.

The hunter yelled at the bear and it stopped. With its hair raised, the bear turned its attention to the hunter, who was carrying a 444-calibre Marlin hunting rifle.

“The investigation shows that, from approximately 10 yards, the hunter fired two shots at the charging grizzly bear,” said Sgt. Josh Lockwood, conservation officer. “The animal went down, got back up and took off. . .

They discovered the dead grizzly, estimated to be a seven-to-nine years old, in an area about 50 to 75 yards from where the shots were fired. . .

“In this case, there is no doubt in our minds that had he not shot the bear or had a smaller calibre rifle, the hunter would have suffered grievous bodily harm or death,” said Lockwood.

http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/132568888.html

Ahh, you gotta love that Marlin .444. The way I have mine set up with some extra weight to tame the recoil and a LimbSaver recoil pad, it feels like a 20 ga shotgun. Not bad at all. My son loves shooting this rifle and isn't very fond of my .300 WSM due to the recoil differences. Interestingly, most consider the .444 with proper loads a better bear defense rifle than the .300 WSM. All that and easier to shoot. Who can complain about that.

Alaska444
February 24, 2012, 01:05 AM
I have a personal interest in those that have hunted with the Marlin .444, especially in the northern areas where there are large critters with fangs and teeth that bite back. Stories and pictures would be a great addition to the Marlin .444 club. Great to see the response so far and the overwhelming poll results to date.

I hope to make this a friendly place for those that LOVE the Marlin .444. A place of solace and rest from the usual you should have got a 45-70 arguments.

Thank you all again for voicing your likes of this great gun.

God bless,

Alaska444

osprey176
February 24, 2012, 02:21 AM
I bought my Marlin .444 in 1978, and hunted with it in Florida and Georgia for many years.I found the rifle and caliber perfect for that type of hunting;heavy cover with some open areas,quick shots at often moving game.What I found was it came up quickly and was balanced just right for following moving animals.I really loved the fact that in that heavy cover,I NEVER had to follow a blood trail when using that rifle.Last year I let my oldest son finally talk me out of it after he outgrew his .243.He calls me every time he takes it to the range telling me how good it shoots.

Salmoneye
February 24, 2012, 11:15 AM
I'll never tell anyone that they "Should have got" anything other than what makes them happy...

Me?

I'd love both a .444, and a .45-70 Stainless Guide Gun, and then there's the .375 Marlin I don't have yet, and I still need an 1894 in .357, and........

:evil:

walker944
February 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
I'll consider myself a "virtual club member"....I don't own a .444 Marlin, but I kick myself severely everytime I think of them. I had a chance a few years ago to pick one up at a local pawnshop for $150 out the door. And, that was only about 10 years ago. Then, again I passed on one, at a gun show for $225. I have never shot one, but would love to. In fact, the next opportunity that presents itself will likely result with me being an owner. Obviously, prices a higher now, but that's just the price of hesitating.

So, for those of us that don't have a .444 Marlin, please rub it in and post your pics!!! I need a slight bit of encouraging to officially join the club! :D

Alaska444
February 24, 2012, 03:04 PM
Today, 07:29 AM #25
walker944

Unofficial member...
I'll consider myself a "virtual club member"....I don't own a .444 Marlin, but I kick myself severely everytime I think of them. I had a chance a few years ago to pick one up at a local pawnshop for $150 out the door. And, that was only about 10 years ago. Then, again I passed on one, at a gun show for $225. I have never shot one, but would love to. In fact, the next opportunity that presents itself will likely result with me being an owner. Obviously, prices a higher now, but that's just the price of hesitating.

So, for those of us that don't have a .444 Marlin, please rub it in and post your pics!!! I need a slight bit of encouraging to officially join the club!

Hey, I think you qualify.:D I will check with the admissions committee but I think we can swing your membership. Thanks for the kind words towards this great rifle. Good luck finding your Marlin .444 and send us your pics when you get it.

God bless,

Alaska444

LTR shooter
February 24, 2012, 04:49 PM
One of the rifles I wish I had back. Bought a Marlin 444 new in 1988 for a "whopping" $239. Surprisingly good accuracy and very tolerable recoil.

Not long after I moved to Indiana from North Carolina and at the time had no access to an outdoor range. Ended up trading the .444 and got a TC to shoot in silhouette. I still have the TC but miss that .444. Will cost me a LOT more than $239 to get one now!

Alaska444
February 24, 2012, 05:11 PM
Mine cost me quite a bit new in early 2009. Still my favorite rifle, but yes, you will spend more than that especially if you buy new. You may be able to find one a lot cheaper in a gun show.

Good luck and thanks for speaking up for this great rifle. Welcome to the club. All it takes is a love for the .444.

Paris
February 24, 2012, 06:25 PM
I have an XLR .444 and love it.

Abel
February 24, 2012, 06:39 PM
People with 444's must not own digital cameras.

kutz
February 24, 2012, 06:39 PM
Sounds like i made a mistake when i bought my Marlin .450 + a BFR .450

Alaska444
February 24, 2012, 07:21 PM
Today, 02:39 PM #31
kutz

Sounds like i made a mistake when i bought my Marlin .450 + a BFR .450

Not at all my friend. This is not a 45-70 vs .444 thread. This is I LOVE the .444 and are proud of it thread. The Marlin and Browning .450 are fantastic rifles. I hope you enjoy them as much as we enjoy our Marlin .444.

God bless,

Alaska444

Alaska444
February 24, 2012, 07:23 PM
Today, 02:39 PM #30
Abel

People with 444's must not own digital cameras.

We may have to offer a remedial class on digital cameras as a benefit of membership in the Marlin .444 club.:D:D

jeepnik
February 24, 2012, 07:45 PM
Nope, I read the post. I did own a .444 at one time. So, my opinions aren't just my spouting what others have written. Your poll ask "How many people like their Marlin .444's". Well, I hit the post and said I didn't. Then I posted my reasons. So, you sorta were asking for folks with negative opinions to respond.

But since you want a private .444 club, just like they have/had at Marlin Owners, I won't post on your member's only threads. Just figure out your secret handshake, and pass out your decoder rings and go for it.

Alaska444
February 24, 2012, 08:04 PM
Dear Jeepnik, have a great day, sorry you are not a fan of the .444. Once again, thousands of threads on 45-70 vs .444. This is not one of those threads.

God bless,

Alaska444

Jaymo
February 24, 2012, 08:07 PM
I love mine. I bought it in 2000. It's the 444P Outfitter. IOW, a .444 vesion of the Guide gun. The Guide Gun is what made me start loving Marlins.
I almost bought one, but the 444 hold one more round than the .45-70 (even though the .444s are longer).
Also, I can cast and load the same bullets for my .444, that I do for my Marlin 1894P, IOW, .44 mag mini Guide Gun. 16.5" barrel. Shorter and handier than a Winchester trapper.
The only problem I've ever had with the 444 is with Remington factory ammo. It groups like buckshot through an open bore. Can't get it to group at all.
Georgia Arms 270 and 300 grain loads group very well and hit HARD.
I want a BFR in 444.
I need to put a limbsaver pad on it, because those 300 grainers give me purple shoulder after 6 rounds.

When I bought mine, I was going to get the standard 444 with the curved wrist and 22" barrel, but I couldn't seem to cycle the lever comfortably with it shouldered.
Plus, I knew the solid, thin red rubber buttpad would not be fun.
As soon as I picked up the 444P, I knew which one I would get.
It is to the 444 what the 1894P is to the 1894. Lighter and handier with plenty of power.

I don't live near Grizzlies, but feral hogs are mean as hell and get very big in GA.

I want a 336 in .35 Remington. A buddy of mine has a pre-safety 336 in .35 that he wants to sell for 200 bux. It's pretty nice, except he reblued it with cold blue (BC Perma Blue)

I may get it anyway, I could hot blue it, or cold blue it with Oxpho Blue, or get it Dura Coated.
It would be a great deer/hog gun.

Alaska444
February 24, 2012, 08:17 PM
I am a dialysis patient so I have limited recoil tolerance for obvious reasons. I added a pound and a half of lead in the stock and put a Limbsaver on it. I then added a Kick Killer leather cover/pad and the thing feels like 20 ga no matter how many Buffalo Bore 335's I shoot. Piece of cake.

Lot's of folks want a very light rifle but then complain about the recoil. I could care less about carrying a 9.5 pound rifle. Piece of cake for me since I don't hike 10 miles in the woods any longer anyway.

Between the extra weight and the double recoil pad, it is a real tame tiger for sure.

Alaska444
March 6, 2012, 02:30 AM
The .444 Marlin poll is still in effect for a couple more weeks. So far, 26:2 for the Marlin .444. That is nearly A 93% approval rating. The president and congress would love to have a rating so high.

Thanks for all the votes.

PapaG
March 6, 2012, 09:46 AM
Always wanted one and now I have one, though not the way I wanted it to be. I inherited my brother's original 336-444 with the straight grip monte carlo and half magazine.
I need a couple parts to get things going...the transverse screw that holds the front of the forend band on for one and a different magazine follower so I can try out the Leverolutions. I remember getting "trimmed" by little bro when we'd have our "big bore" shootouts..his 444 against my Win 94 in 44 mag (from the sixties).

Old Time Hunter
March 6, 2012, 03:44 PM
An excerpt from Paco Kelly's article at Levergun's.com "444 Marlin & Win-The Other Great Bone Crusher"

The Marlin is a fine leveraction so I’m not comparing good verses not good. I’m rating strength to withstand pressure over a sustained life time of active shooting with each design. The Marlin is rated at tops 45,000+psi and the Winchester 94 Big Bore (that’s the fatside action, not the common action 94) is rated at 55,000+psi. And that’s a big difference. In animal harvesting that means the Marlin is one of the finest 150-200 yard deer slayers of the leverguns available and an easy taker of elk. A good cool shot can stretch the range over 200 plus yards....and with the right bullet, you could even take moose. It is an excellent backup leveraction at close quarters for big bear country...it’s hard to ask for more. And 95% of American shooters don’t need more......

BUT there is that 5%. Those are the long range elk/moose/big bear hunters that hunt these beasts like the rest of us hunt deer...all the time. It is also the fella that is planning an African hunting trip with the right loads and bullets will take out dangerous game...and still be useable on plains game. Because most African countries won’t allow more than three guns in. These folks need the added power potential of the Winchester 444 leveraction. Short, powerful, accurate.....it will deliver even 400 grain bullets with power and accuracy beyond 200 yards. And I can make 400 grain plus solids on my lathes... when I go to Africa again next year the 444 Winchester and a variety of loads go with me.

Have a few of them, all in Winchester motiff. My favorite is the Timber Carbine..anything from squirrels to elephants.

Alaska444
March 26, 2012, 05:17 AM
Final poll results show a 90% approval for those that own the .444. It is a great rifle and has multiple uses.

Sport45
March 26, 2012, 06:57 AM
I missed seeing the poll when it was open so I didn't vote.

I do like mine. It's a '68 model straight stock. The old microgroove barrel loves Hornady 265gr FP bullets and does alright with 300gr FTX's.

c01
September 7, 2012, 03:25 AM
My dad got in his 70's and gave me his. I love it and it is an honor to hunt with it.

D

T.R.
September 7, 2012, 10:40 AM
I've always thought of Marlin's 444 as a rifle to fill the empty spot when Winchester 348 was dropped from production. That is, a well balanced rifle for shooting truly big game out to 200 yards or so. But the 444 has lasted much longer than the 348 which is a testimony to its success within the marketplace and with satisfied hunters.

This photo was forwarded to me by a friend. But I don't know any of the details of this hunt. Rifle is the mighty 444.

TR

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/444elk.jpg

Reloadron
September 7, 2012, 12:15 PM
I have one and I like it. However, I am also in the 45-70 fan club and hope to add a 45-70 soon. My wife bought me the 444 Marlin some time ago as a gift. It made for an excellent deer hunting gun in West Virginia in brush. Short and powerful 200 yard rifle and most shots were 50 or so yards. Small branches never deflected the rounds. So I like it as what I mentioned, an excellent brush rifle. I seldom hunt West Virginia anymore but the little rifle lives on. My 45-70 was an old Springfield Trap Door which sucked as to being able to appreciate the newer much more powerful 45-70 loadings. Thus, I figure soon enough there will be a 45-70 lever rifle in the mix. No shortage of loading components for either caliber. :)

Ron

Alaska444
September 7, 2012, 06:32 PM
Great photo:eek::what:

.444 Marlins are great woods guns with enough to be a true bear gun and the accuracy to hit what you shoot at. Not quite a 45-70, but more than enough for a woods gun. I have Skinner peep sights on mine and can put a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards with no scope.

Thanks again for the photo. Hopefully we can post more on the .444 Marlin Club.

Alaska444
September 7, 2012, 06:37 PM
I have one and I like it. However, I am also in the 45-70 fan club and hope to add a 45-70 soon. My wife bought me the 444 Marlin some time ago as a gift. It made for an excellent deer hunting gun in West Virginia in brush. Short and powerful 200 yard rifle and most shots were 50 or so yards. Small branches never deflected the rounds. So I like it as what I mentioned, an excellent brush rifle. I seldom hunt West Virginia anymore but the little rifle lives on. My 45-70 was an old Springfield Trap Door which sucked as to being able to appreciate the newer much more powerful 45-70 loadings. Thus, I figure soon enough there will be a 45-70 lever rifle in the mix. No shortage of loading components for either caliber. :)

Ron
Thanks Reloadron,

The Marlin .444 club is not your usual 45-70 vs .444 vs .450 thread. Many readily acknowledge the beauty and performance of the 45-70 as readily as we love our .444's. It is certainly not an exclusive one or the other issue.

I chose the .444 over the 45-70 in large part due to limiting recoil with the higher powered .444 loads. I feel the .444 is very easy to handle, but some of my friends feel it is a bit much. Nevertheless, the .444 compared to high end 45-70 loads is a piece of cake to shoot comparatively.

Good luck with the 45-70 and enjoy your .444, a great gun with much it can do.

God bless,

Alaska444

jeepnik
September 7, 2012, 06:44 PM
Dear Jeepnik, have a great day, sorry you are not a fan of the .444. Once again, thousands of threads on 45-70 vs .444. This is not one of those threads.

God bless,

Alaska444
Well, at least you didn't suggest a secret, members only .444 Club like another well known levergun forum has.:D

That whole issue ran me afoul of the net nazi running the joint.

Alaska444
September 7, 2012, 09:37 PM
My dad got in his 70's and gave me his. I love it and it is an honor to hunt with it.

D
I have had mine for about 4 years. It is by far my most favorite rifle I have ever had. I am sure your dad felt the same way.

God bless,

Alaska444

BBDartCA
September 8, 2012, 02:39 AM
Way back in junior high school I had the chance to hunt with a 444 and really liked that gun. The massive 444 cartridge really appealed to a pre-pubescent teen. Never could shoot a decent group with it. Since where I lived out west, exclusively hunting short range on big game was nonexistent, so I never could justify getting one. What kind of accuracy do you guys get at 100 yards on a bench with iron sights?

Salmoneye
September 8, 2012, 09:05 AM
Have you looked at what Flat Top did with his 'Safari Grade' .444 over on MarlinOwners?

He's now doing his magic on a .35 Remington in Safari Grade...

260gr flat point at 2,400fps is the target...

;-)

Alaska444
September 8, 2012, 03:32 PM
Way back in junior high school I had the chance to hunt with a 444 and really liked that gun. The massive 444 cartridge really appealed to a pre-pubescent teen. Never could shoot a decent group with it. Since where I lived out west, exclusively hunting short range on big game was nonexistent, so I never could justify getting one. What kind of accuracy do you guys get at 100 yards on a bench with iron sights?
With my Skinner Sights, I can put a 1.5 inch group into the target spot on. It is a very accurate rifle within 200 yards.

I agree it is not a high plains rifle, but for the northern woods, it is right in it's own niche. Great gun for woods defense as well as for hunting large game.

Buffalo Bore has a testimonial of a man who shot a buffalo with their top end .444 round.

Tim....

Wanted to let you know that the ammunition worked perfectly. Dropped a trophy Bison in its tracks from approximately 90 yards.

Heart/lungs from 90 yards. Hit him broadside. Big buffalo with a full winter coat. I've attached a picture. Bullet stayed inside the body and was recovered. I've made sure that Buffalo Bore has been represented on several of the boards that I checked in with.....many opinions about a Marlin 444 and its ability to take down a Bison. Bottom line....with the Marlin, Bushnell Banner Scope, and Buffalo Bore 335 grain bullets.....there is no argument in my mind.

A member of our party jammed his rifle and used my Marlin.....killed a deer with the same 335 load from 175 yards. Distance, accuracy, and stopping power.

Thanks!
William W.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=156

303tom
September 9, 2012, 01:54 AM
I just got into the .444 Marlin club a little over a year ago, when I bought my Handi-rifle in .444 Marlin & I love it.............

Alaska444
September 9, 2012, 02:11 AM
I just got into the .444 Marlin club a little over a year ago, when I bought my Handi-rifle in .444 Marlin & I love it.............
A lot of folks state that they would feel comfortable with a .500 S&W but then in the same breath talk down the .444. Ironically, the .444 Marlin outperforms the .500. Go figure, a much unfairly maligned caliber that really is a true woods gun supreme surpassing the venerated 30-30 by a long shot.

Enjoy you new rifle and welcome to the Marlin .444 club. Excellent choice as they say in those high browed eating places.

dubya450
September 9, 2012, 02:49 AM
I was actually offered to buy one from a buddies dad last week but haven't checked it out yet. Don't know a whole lot about the 444 but im intrested considering ive almost pulled the trigger on buying a 1895sbl a few times now. How is the recoil of the 444?

Alaska444
September 9, 2012, 03:25 AM
I was actually offered to buy one from a buddies dad last week but haven't checked it out yet. Don't know a whole lot about the 444 but im intrested considering ive almost pulled the trigger on buying a 1895sbl a few times now. How is the recoil of the 444?
I don't find the recoil on MY .444 bad at all. But let me tell you the full story. I added a pound and a half of lead to the stock so the weapon weighs about 9.5 pounds. I also put a Limbsaver instead of the stock pad. I thought it was a bit fragile so to protect it, I added a Kick Killer leather pad to the whole mess. The bonus is that the leather cover reduces friction against my clothes letting the gun slide effortlessly onto my shoulder. The Limbsaver grips clothes and doesn't really slide at all over the clothes it contacts.

http://www.cabelas.com/stocks-grips-accessories-kick-killer-lace-butt-pad-2.shtml?WT.z_mc_id1=734595&rid=10&WT.tsrc=AFF&WT.mc_id=k38768

It certainly isn't in the range of a 45-70 with stout loads without those modifications. Chuck Hawks list the recoil energy at about 22 ft-pds with a recoil velocity of 12.5 for a 265 gr bullet at 2200 fps.

Compare that to a .450 Marlin with 350 gr bullet at 2100 fps with a recoil energy of about 33 with the same weight rifle.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

I have calculated my BB 335 gr at 2025 fps in my reconfigured rifle at about 26 ft-pds of recoil energy. All in all, anyway you look at it, very manageable.

Alaska444
September 9, 2012, 03:33 AM
One more issue that comes up with the .444 Marlin is how good is it and how well would it work against a grizzly. After searching for quite some time, about a year ago, I came across the first case I could find of self defense with a Marlin .444 against a large charging grizzly. Two shots and man is one, bear zero:

The 39-year-old man had been out with his dog hunting for white tail deer 13 kilometres up Harris Creek Road at around 3 p.m. Oct. 19 when a 550-pound male grizzly started charging at the dog.

The hunter yelled at the bear and it stopped. With its hair raised, the bear turned its attention to the hunter, who was carrying a 444-calibre Marlin hunting rifle.

“The investigation shows that, from approximately 10 yards, the hunter fired two shots at the charging grizzly bear,” said Sgt. Josh Lockwood, conservation officer. “The animal went down, got back up and took off. . .

They discovered the dead grizzly, estimated to be a seven-to-nine years old, in an area about 50 to 75 yards from where the shots were fired. . .

“In this case, there is no doubt in our minds that had he not shot the bear or had a smaller calibre rifle, the hunter would have suffered grievous bodily harm or death,” said Lockwood.

http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/132568888.html

Yes, the Marlin .444 is big enough indeed for grizzly bear woods defense.:what:

303tom
September 9, 2012, 08:55 AM
Almost bought one of these instead.................

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-444-Marlin-Revolver-10-inch-Barrel.asp

If you enjoyed reading about "The Marlin .444 Club" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!