Hi all

PDA

dyce51
February 23, 2012, 02:38 PM
New guy to the site. I have found a lot of good info here!! Most of the research I have been doing online about firearms, Google keeps sending me to links here. So I figured I'd join the site. I don't own many guns but I do have a few (my pride and joy is my Savage model 99 .300savage that my father left to me). I am slowly saving up to buy a few more though. I am also in the process of building a full custom crossbow as well.

Being I am a larger guy I use a full size hand gun so I don't know much about the smaller ones. My wife is a petite gal with small hands and I want to get her a nice .380 or or a 9x18....any suggestions for the "best bang for the buck"? I know to stay away from cheap ones like the Jennings Bryco and what not but I don't want to spend big money either looking for something middle of the road....

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi all" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wannabeagunsmith
February 23, 2012, 02:54 PM
Welcome to THR! Try out the Ruger LCP .380, I shot with one at the range, good gun, no jams, my hand is huge but it fits fine. Or try the Ruger LC9, same gun, but bigger and in 9mm. Or try out the good ol Walther PPK, by S&W. Hope this helps.

allaroundhunter
February 23, 2012, 03:16 PM
The only small .380 that I recommend is the Sig P238. Is it the softest shooting "mouse gun" that I have ever shot, and it is easier to rack the slide than most others as well. It is very accurate, and I do love the 1911 style platform :)

If you are wanting a larger .380 then the Beretta 84 comes to mind, also, give a Glock 19 (9mm) a try.

Is she wanting a CCW or just a pistol to shoot for fun/home defense?

thunder173
February 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
Check out the Bersa Thunder .380's as well. Not expensive, a little rough looking,..but great shooters and dependable.

CrazyO
February 23, 2012, 04:46 PM
How about S&W Bodyguard .380. With the built in laser it makes it easy to shoot small group at close range.

cheesebigot
February 23, 2012, 09:51 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a CZ 82 or CZ 83 yet. Lots of bang for the buck for a moderately-sized surplus firearm made in eastern Europe.

CriminalJustice
February 23, 2012, 10:00 PM
KelTec p32's are extremely soft shooting, especially when you consider their extremely tiny dimensions and low weight. .32 and .380 aren't that different right? ;-)

Ranger30-06
February 23, 2012, 10:07 PM
I would take a look at a Makarov in .380. I know Russia made them, and I'm pretty sure CZ made them also. If your alright with using 9x18, you get a slight advantage in ballistics.

They have a full size grip, but the magazine is single stack, so the grip is very slim. Being a blowback action, the slide is relatively small. Also because of being a blowback action, the pistol is very accurate because the barrel doesn't move when fired.

The only drawback is that they are a bit heavy for size. This is good for keeping recoil down, so I wouldn't necessarily call it a drawback. Besides, isn't carrying heavy things what those big purses are for? :D

Byrd666
February 23, 2012, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the site.

The best bang for the buck as far a .380 is, in my opinion, the CZ 83. I often carry this pistol and feel quite comfortable with it. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger and the recoil is easily controllable, for me anyway. Accurate as all get out, easily broken down/field stripped, and I only have the use of one hand, and can be had, in used condition for a fairly inexpensive price.

The next would be a Makarov in 9x18. These are very similar, and I think, the predecessor in the design of the CZ 83. Though they are in a slightly larger caliber, with the .380 being a 9x17. Like the 83, they are fairly light for an all steel frame, go bang every time, and are more accurate than most people will ever be. A used Mak can be had for around $250+-.

My personal choice for an upper tier .380 would be a Colt Mustang or a Sig P238. Both of these pistols are a "scaled" down versions of the 1911 pistol, just without the grip safety. I have a very close friend that has a Mustang, and will barely let me look at it, let alone handle and or fire it. She loves that pistol that much. She did of course let me fire a few rounds through it, and I gotta tell ya', it was a very , very good shooting and feeling pistol.

Another friend of mine also has a Bersa Thunder .380 and swears by it. Though I've never fired that particular weapon, I do own a Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, and can attest to the manufacturers reliability and ease of use.

Just my two pennies

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi all" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!