New or used?

PDA

Portsmith
February 24, 2012, 11:18 AM
I've decided to buy my first carry gun. I have decided on a Glock 26.

Now, I need to decide whether to buy a new or used one. One one hand, there's the fact that used ones don't go for that much cheaper than new ones. On the other hand, that's because of Glock's reputation.

On the third hand, there's the difference between the new 4gen and previous versions.

What are your thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "New or used?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KenW.
February 24, 2012, 11:32 AM
I do not hesitate to purchase or trade for a used gun. Most of my pistol collection are "rescued veterans".

Inspect them closely and know what you are looking for.

I've never owned a Glock, so I have no input to your last question. I've fired them a little, and that's why I own four XDs now. Glocks are good pistols though. Reliable, hardy, durable, nearly idiot-proof. Just not my preference.

Sauer Grapes
February 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
I'm more than willing to buy a used\previously owned firearm. The only problem I find is the previous owner seems to think it's worth more than it really is.

JShirley
February 24, 2012, 11:42 AM
I really wish I hadn't sold my Glock 23 when I enlisted in 2001. I didn't really get that I would have to accept the stupid finger grooves on any future Glocks I bought.

Byrd666
February 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
On the third hand, there's the difference between the new Gen 4 and previous versions.

This is something I am also curious about.

Pyro
February 24, 2012, 11:51 AM
I usually use the terms: New or Broken-in.

hogrdr
February 24, 2012, 11:55 AM
right now the used market is great, just about the best buyers market i've seen. i would go used

Fiv3r
February 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
With a Glock, i wouldn't hesitate to go used. Short of using it as a hammer (say what you want about polymer frames, they DO make terrible hammers:neener:), there isn't much to get worn out in regards to average shooting. Even if something does need to be replaced sooner, there isn't much that you either can't fix yourself or have a certified armorer do in about 20 minutes. Glocks are ridiculously modular.

My current carry is a police trade-in G21. It was his personal weapon that matched his duty weapon. When the department went to another model (I can't remember if it was down to a .40 or over to a GAP), he traded in his personal one to match what he carried daily. As a matter of fact, I know the officer personally. I know he shot the hell out of this Gen 3 because 1.) The mags are 9 kinds of chewed up from dropping free onto the concrete and 2.) He's a firearms instructor for the department...he's a cop that LIKES to shoot:neener:

I went ahead and bought a couple of new mags and kept the gnarly ones for range use/back up, but given the condition of the gun (still looks and functions like brand new) I think I might have another 10 or 15 years before I might have to start thinking about replacing a $2 extractor and maybe the barrel in another 30 (if I can afford to shoot it that much:evil:).

In short, Glocks tend to break-in, not break.

JohnBiltz
February 24, 2012, 12:14 PM
I would not hesitate to buy a used Glock. Chances are good its not even broken in. Out of the three Glocks I own only one was bought new.

JShirley
February 24, 2012, 03:16 PM
Um...me, too. The Glock 27 was bought as soon as they came out (96?), but the other three I had were used. The only problems I had with any were all mag-related.

RLZIII
February 24, 2012, 03:21 PM
I guess I am alone in the opinion to buy new. While I don't have a problem with buying guns used, for a carry gun I always buy new. I don't do this so I get the most life out of my handgun or whatnot. I do this so I know the entire life of the handgun.

I just recently purchased a Glock 27 Gen4. Not only do I prefer the Gen4 models over the Gen3 (mainly because the gun can be either a SF-style model or a regular model), but I also know that nothing strange has been done to the pistol. No parts were replaced that I didn't catch during the initial inspection, no "25 Cent Trigger Job" or anything similar was done to the gun, I am not getting a gun that was giving the previous owner problems, et cetera. My carry gun, more than any other gun that I own, has to work reliably 100% of the time, and I want to know everything that has been done to that gun for possible future court reasons (I don't want to try and justify why certain parts of the trigger mechanism were polished to insure a smoother trigger, especially if I wasn't the one that did the polishing!). I just get more ease of mind buying new for carry guns.

For a range gun, I'd say buy used and use the money you saved on ammo and practice. But, again, for a carry gun (especially for a Glock that has a very small price difference) I'd rather buy new and know what has been done to the gun.

hogrdr
February 24, 2012, 03:52 PM
ive thought about your point too, wouldn't want to have to shoot someone then have the police find out you did it with a stolen gun!

Longhorn 76
February 24, 2012, 04:06 PM
I can check out a revolver pretty well, and would not hesitate to buy a used one.

A used pistol I would never buy without the chance to shoot it first. Too many things going on to check out without shooting it.

If you enjoyed reading about "New or used?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!