New addiction

Arkansas Paul
February 24, 2012, 03:48 PM
I just thought handloading was addictive. The other day, we were at Sportsman's Wearhouse and they had a Lyman Big Dipper casting kit. Two 5-gallon buckets of wheelweights later, I'm hooked like a big dog. I got a Lee 2-cavity mole for the .45 Colt and cast 100 or so bullets yesterday. It was the first time I'd ever tried casting and had a dozen or so culls that didn't fill out correctly. I noticed though as I went that the culls were fewer as the mold heated up. I got them lubed and sized, and now they're ready to load. Now I'm at work, staring at the clock wanting to get home to load them up.

I think I'm addicted and I don't want to be cured.

If you enjoyed reading about "New addiction" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
February 24, 2012, 05:07 PM
When I'm casting I throw the first few bad bullets back in the pot. I also throw the sprue back in after I cut it. That seems to keep me from having to fill the pot as often.

February 24, 2012, 06:10 PM
Yup, you're hooked, and welcome to the world of casting. Next step is the "Hunt For Lead" malady.

Might want to take a look at this site if you haven't already. Lots and lots of info there and also a great bunch of folks.

February 24, 2012, 06:24 PM
Yup, I got hooked last fall. If you really want to crank through lead, get a Lee 6 banger. Once you're in the "zone" 500-1000 in an hour is easliy reachable.

The problem is that you start to drool every time you drive past a car junkyard, scrap metal yard or say to yourself "I wonder if that abandoned boat still has lead in its keel?".

February 24, 2012, 08:46 PM
That's great. If you wear some medium weight leather gloves, you can easily cut the sprue with your hand and then gently dump the sprue back in the pot. Sure beats a stick.

February 24, 2012, 08:55 PM
An addiction for sure, but one for which no cure is needed except mo' lead

February 24, 2012, 10:05 PM
Adds a whole new dimension to handloading. Not to mention pulling your hair out!

Arkansas Paul
February 25, 2012, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I have been lurking at the cast boolits site for a while now and am signed up now. It is definately a good place to learn about casting, for sure.

It's funny really. I've been scrounging brass for a while now. Guess I'm adding lead to the mix. I've got my brother hitting up tire shops in his town already.

Keep the nuggets of wisdom coming. I'm a serious rookie. I have a whole 4 days experience. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "New addiction" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!