Sig P210 vs. X-Five for target shooting

PDA

Lothar
February 24, 2012, 04:52 PM
I'm just curious for people's comparisons of the two, from a strictly target-shooting perspective. I'm not interested here in which is more classic, or worth more to collectors, or for defense--only in how well they shoot, and how well-constructed they are. Which would you buy new, say for bullseye target shooting?

I will buy one of these guns someday. I haven't decided which.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P210 vs. X-Five for target shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
m2steven
February 24, 2012, 05:50 PM
I have the X5 which is 1 tier down from the top model. It's a laser and a joy to shoot. It has an awsome trigger. It's gorgeous.

However, most SIGS are very accurate. I would think that everything else being equal, the extra length barrel and great trigger on the x-5 would make it a better target pistol. But i've got a Kahr E9 that beats the Sig at least out to 100 feet. Why I don't know.

A regular 210 is going to be very accurate by it's very nature. Spend a few dollars on the trigger and make sure the sights are good and it probably won't be much different from the X-5. Not dissing the X-5 - it will be one of the last pistols I sell if worse comes to worse. It's one sweet pistol.

I've shot a buddy's 2022 in 9mm and it's simply great. Sigs are nice weapons.

Birdmang
February 24, 2012, 05:55 PM
I would say depends which one fits your hand better. The 210 is slimmer and smaller in general. I would hold both and go from there.

I fired a 210 and x5 last night (both stock), I liked the trigger better on the 210 and the slimness of the grip was pleasant. But to each their own.

Lothar
February 24, 2012, 05:56 PM
Very interesting to hear that I'd have to spend money on a P210 to make it as good as a stock X-Five, in your opinion, m2Steven. Thanks, that is helpful info.

Lothar
February 24, 2012, 06:00 PM
I would say depends which one fits your hand better. The 210 is slimmer and smaller in general. I would hold both and go from there.

I fired a 210 and x5 last night (both stock), I liked the trigger better on the 210 and the slimness of the grip was pleasant. But to each their own.

Thanks, Birdman. Shooting both of those pistols in a single shooting session would be ideal for me, but I'm not sure if I can find a P210 to shoot (or even handle) near me. I might end up making my choice without having the luxury of being able to shoot both. I doubt that I'd feel that I made a bad choice no matter which one I bought.

Walt Sherrill
February 24, 2012, 06:05 PM
I've had a P-210-6 and have a P-226 X Five Competition (in .40).

If all you'll ever do is shoot at the range, I'd go for the P-210. If you think you might ever try competition (where the gun is eligible), I'd go with the X-Five. While mine is a .40, I've heard nothing but raves about the 9mm version.

Lothar
February 24, 2012, 06:09 PM
I've had a P-210-6 and have a P-226 X Five Competition (in .40).

If all you'll ever do is shoot at the range, I'd go for the P-210. If you think you might ever try competition (where the gun is eligible), I'd go with the X-Five. While mine is a .40, I've heard nothing but raves about the 9mm version.

Whew, there's a tough choice there--current target shooting versus the possibility of future competition shooting. Thanks for the thoughts!

These responses are proving to be most interesting. I was expecting a strong reaction in favor of one or the other, though was not sure which. The thread is young though...

Walt Sherrill
February 24, 2012, 06:12 PM
The P-210 guns are marvelously accurate, but not competition friendly: small mags, awkward mag releases, sharp edges on some of the sights, and safety levers that aren't always easy to click off. Hard to beat them for punching holes in paper, though.

The mags are quite expensive, too, and you'd want 4-5 as a minimum if you're shooting competitively. Another poster here (in a related message string) says that the new "LEGEND" mags (for the newest version of the P-210) can be easily adapted to work in the older P-210s, and they're not nearly as expensive.

Lothar
February 24, 2012, 06:30 PM
The P-210 guns are marvelously accurate, but not competition friendly: small mags, awkward mag releases, sharp edges on some of the sights, and safety levers that aren't always easy to click off. Hard to beat them for punching holes in paper, though.

The mags are quite expensive, too, and you'd want 4-5 as a minimum if you're shooting competitively. Another poster here (in a related message string) says that the new "LEGEND" mags (for the newest version of the P-210) can be easily adapted to work in the older P-210s, and they're not nearly as expensive.

Interesting, Walt, thanks. Also interesting to see that the X-Five has a 4-to-1 lead at this point--I was not expecting that, based on the reverence that the P210 seems to carry.

browningguy
February 24, 2012, 06:33 PM
I don't own either one, but I have shot both a bit. It seems to me that they took everything they learned with the P210, and put it in the X5.

Lothar
February 24, 2012, 06:37 PM
I don't own either one, but I have shot both a bit. It seems to me that they took everything they learned with the P210, and put it in the X5.

Thanks, Browningguy... and I'm a Browning guy too, incidentally. Buck Mark Hunter, and Hi-Power Mark III here.

Morgo
February 24, 2012, 07:15 PM
If you are talking about the new P210 Legend then I'd likely go the X5.

If it were an original P210/P49 then I'd probably have to really sit down and think about what I wanted it for :)

ClemY
February 24, 2012, 10:58 PM
The SIG 210 has been my Grail gun for the last 40 yrs. I finally found one a couple of years ago, a 210-6 with adjustable sights. I put Nill grips on it. I managed to find some mags on a German gunshop website. It seems to be very accurate with anything I feed it. It is a great range gun. The only real problem is it has the worst hammer bite of any gun I have ever shot. I donít seem to be the only one who suffers from this. They make a screw on frame tang extension that is very much like the current wide grip safetys for 1911s that takes care of the problem very nicely.

That said, a new X-5 would probably be similarly accurate and easier and cheaper to manage with mags and anything else you might need.

These days it would be a difficult choice, based on intended use and personal preference.

el Godfather
February 25, 2012, 07:18 AM
If one of the two then 210- no question about it.

When you think of X-Five, then why not X-Six? However, P210 is the LEGEND.

Lothar
February 25, 2012, 08:55 AM
When you think of X-Five, then why not X-Six? However, P210 is the LEGEND.

That one's high on my list of considerations as well, but for this thread, I was interested in a comparison that was a bit more apples-to-apples in terms of similar barrel lengths.

JohnBT
February 25, 2012, 12:01 PM
I have one of each, where are you located? Have you googled - sig x-5 extractor problems ? Some of them have developed a problem rather early in the round count and some later on. It appears they designed the internal extractor a little bit off center for some reason. I only know what I've read. Bruce Gray has done a lot of work on them.

I have a fairly low round count X-5 TAC TB and it's a wonderful pistol. The 4.5# trigger is perfect, the night sights are easy to use and it's very accurate and easy to shoot. I didn't need the threaded barrel, but that's what the dealer had at the gun show and I really liked the way this gun was put together. Too bad I hadn't heard about the extraction problems. Oh well, sometimes impulse buys come back to bite you.

Six months ago I bought a P49/P210-2 from Top Gun Supply when he bought a small pallet of 30 surplus army guns from Switzerland. Afaik, they all came with these mid-80s commercial P210 grips. I really could sell the X-5 because I don't shoot it much anymore.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/JohnBT3/DSCN0228.jpg?t=1315677528

Lothar
February 25, 2012, 12:11 PM
I have one of each, where are you located? Have you googled - sig x-5 extractor problems ? Some of them have developed a problem rather early in the round count and some later on. It appears they designed the internal extractor a little bit off center for some reason. I only know what I've read. Bruce Gray has done a lot of work on them.

I have a fairly low round count X-5 TAC TB and it's a wonderful pistol. The 4.5# trigger is perfect, the night sights are easy to use and it's very accurate and easy to shoot. I didn't need the threaded barrel, but that's what the dealer had at the gun show and I really liked the way this gun was put together. Too bad I hadn't heard about the extraction problems. Oh well, sometimes impulse buys come back to bite you.

Six months ago I bought a P49/P210-2 from Top Gun Supply when he bought a small pallet of 30 surplus army guns from Switzerland. Afaik, they all came with these mid-80s commercial P210 grips. I really could sell the X-5 because I don't shoot it much anymore.

I live about 500 miles away from you, JohnBT--too far for an easy day trip. :-)

No, I hadn't heard about the X-Five extractor problems--that's interesting. I wonder if the X-Six has the same issues?

918v
February 25, 2012, 08:46 PM
After owning two P210s, everything else seems inferior in terms of design and execution. The P210 has the best, most precise, and durable barrel to slide to frame design and fit of any other pistol. Where I find the Swiss ones lacking is sights, safety lever (although it is unnecessary on a P210-2), and mag release. The Super Target model has all these issues fixed, but is not yet available here.

hercster
May 19, 2012, 09:01 PM
I've had a Gray tuned X-Five AR with several upgrades. It's a great gun and hard to beat depending on the discipline. I shoot IPSC with mine. It's also big and heavy but that hasn't bothered me as the weight handles S&W .40 well.

I just took delivery of a new P-210 legend Target. I only had the gun in my hands for a few minutes but I think it's going to give my X-Five and my NHC 1911 a run for the money.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P210 vs. X-Five for target shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!