Proposed Alabama Legislation

PDA

TenDriver
February 25, 2012, 01:54 PM
State Representative Mac McCutcheon is planning to introduce a bill that would make it illegal to carry concealed firearms on school property within the State of Alabama, to include permit holders.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/02/madison_county_legislator_work.html#incart_mce

If you enjoyed reading about "Proposed Alabama Legislation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Will_G
February 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks for letting us know about this. I have ALREADY written my state representative and expressed my opposition to these two bills.

Kachok
February 25, 2012, 04:58 PM
I thought it was already illigal, I was told that when I got my AL permit. Not legal in any state, or federal buliding that prohibits them which all schools do to my knowlage.

hso
February 25, 2012, 10:22 PM
What's the plan here?

TenDriver
February 26, 2012, 02:38 AM
Kachok, there is no prohibition on concealed carry permit holders carrying on school grounds at the present time.

I hope every Alabamian on this forum will contact their elected rep and ask for a no vote. Below is a link to find your legislator. Would have posted this earlier and ask everyone to write, but we were on the way out the door when I posted this thread.http://www.legislature.state.al.us/misc/zipsearch.html

phoenix79
February 28, 2012, 12:05 PM
Anyone know the HB number for this? I can't find it

jimmyraythomason
February 28, 2012, 12:59 PM
No bill has been introduced YET. McCutcheon has done this McCutcheon has also introduced HB138, which makes it a felony, rather than a misdemeanor, for anyone to carry a concealed weapon without a permit.I am fairly certain McCutcheon is in the minority on "goat hill".

ChileRelleno
March 11, 2012, 04:49 AM
Currently in Alabama, it is only Illegal to carry a firearm onto school grounds, "... with intent to do bodily harm."
Section 13A-11-72
Premises of a public school. The term "public school" as used in this section applies only to a school
composed of grades K-12 and shall include a school bus used for grades K-12
(c) Subject to the exceptions provided by Section 13A-11-74, no person shall knowingly with intent to do
bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a public school.
(d) Possession of a deadly weapon with the intent to do bodily harm on the premises of a public school in
violation of subsection (c) of this section is a Class C felony.
(e) Law enforcement officers are exempt from this section, and persons with pistol permits issued pursuant to
Section 13A-11-75, are exempt from the provisions of subsection (c) of this section.
In certain Counties/Cities the various Law Enforcement authorities are ignorant of the actual laws* pertaining to, and/or just openly hostile to Open Carry and will charge you with the catch-all of Disorderly Conduct.
This has happened many many times and some have been tried and found guilty.
* The actual laws/codes pertaining to Open Carry are very convoluted, confusing, conflicting and contradictory, which leads to much misinterpretation.
The idea behind HB132 is to end all this^^^

HB-132

Greeson

Crimes and Offenses

H Pending Committee Action in House of Origin Commerce and Small Business 02/07/2012

Disorderly conduct, definition revised, carrying a pistol in a vehicle without a pistol permit, authorized, discretion of sheriff in concealed pistol licensing eliminated under certain conditions, certain provisions of concealed pistol licensing revised, Secs. 13A-11-7, 13A-11-73, 13A-11-74, 13A-11-75 am'd.; Secs. 13A-11-52, 13A-11-59 repealed

razorback2003
March 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
A 'pro gun' Republican. You have to watch all politicians. You don't want this law because we have this law in TN and it is a pain. It is one of the silliest laws to have to be hassled with for good people with licenses.

jimmyraythomason
March 11, 2012, 02:14 PM
Alabama's legislature is predominately Democrat but most of both parties are pro-gun(to be otherwise in the south can be political suicide). Most anti-gun legislation has a difficult time just getting out of committee much less getting to a vote.

Gun Nerd
March 11, 2012, 09:03 PM
Is NRA-ILA aware of this? I haven't received any panic emails from them about this. This would be a gateway law to the "gun free zones" we here about in less free states. The next step is you can't drop your kid off in the car line with a gun in the car.

TenDriver
March 12, 2012, 08:54 AM
Is NRA-ILA aware of this? I haven't received any panic emails from them about this. This would be a gateway law to the "gun free zones" we here about in less free states. The next step is you can't drop your kid off in the car line with a gun in the car.
I don't believe a bill has been introduced at the present time. If / when one is I would imagine the NRA-ILA would be all over it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Proposed Alabama Legislation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!